N W T F

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• N W T F

NO! Its not what y'all think it is, just read on....

Woman's 10-Year-Old Plate Now Called Obscene
    She Owned Christmas Tree Farm With Late Husband

POSTED: 10:49 am EDT August 4, 2006

COLUMBUS, Ohio -- A Central Ohio woman said she has had the same license plate on her car for more than a decade, but now the state is calling her personalized plate obscene.

Survey: Should She Keep Her Plate?

Pat Niple turned 74 years old on Tuesday. She normally ordered her license plates and renewal stickers by mail. But this year, the Bureau of Motor Vehicles returned her check, accompanied by a letter.

"The letter stated that I could no longer have my license plate, which was NWTF," she said.

Niple's personalized plates are NWTF, an abbreviation of Northwood Tree Farm -- a business she owned with her late husband. It also means something else, officials said.

"Apparently, the young people use it on the computer," she said.

Niple went to a BMV office to get some answers. A clerk had to whisper what the acronym means to some people.

"Now what the –- and the last word begins with an f," Niple said. "I said, 'You got to be kidding me.'"

BMV officials said they have a set of standards that includes no profanity or obscene language. So, Niple has to use a temporary tag until her new, acceptable plates arrive.

A BMV representative said Niple can appeal to the registrar by writing a letter explaining what the acronym means to her. Officials will then make a decision based on her plea.

Niple said she plans to appeal and that she will at least keep the plates and frame them in memory of the business her family once owned.

"My kids are sort of laughing at it because they're like, 'Now what has Mom done again?' I think they think I'm mischievous or something," she said.

Distributed by Internet Broadcasting.

Want to complete the survey?

www.nbc4.com/automotive/9628955/detail.html
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Would they consider her obscene if she used "nipple" or "myniple"? Insert your own here.

Comment

The people plled vote 98% to 2 in favor of Pat keeping her vanity plate.

FTM
      who want to take it from her!
      ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
      Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Comment

Originally posted by CaptainGonzo
        The people plled vote 98% to 2 in favor of Pat keeping her vanity plate.

FTM
        who want to take it from her!

YEA!!!!!!!!!!!! Let her keep it. I voted.
        ------------------------------------
        These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.
        ------------------------------------

Comment

Now that I'm home and dont have to worry about stupid firewalls, I voted too. This is what I got on my "return":

Percentage of 11804 Votes: Yes 11597 98% No 207 2%

And LV, I had the same thoughts as you, when I read her last name.
          If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

Comment

You think they would figure it out if I submitted a plate for:

FTM PTB?

I might offend the mutts.
            Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!

IACOJ

Comment

That is about as dumb as people getting all ****y when someone uses the word niggardly.

Just shows the lack of common sense most people have.
              "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

The borrower is slave to the lender. Proverbs 22:7 - Debt free since 10/5/2009.

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

www.daveramsey.com www.clarkhoward.com www.heritage.org

Comment

Ok I must be more of a Red Neck then I thought. When I saw NWTF the first thing that popped in to my head National Wild Turkey Federation.

PKFPD
                IACOJ and proud of it

Don't argue with an idiot; people watching may not be able to tell the difference.

Comment

I voted!

Originally posted by mcaldwell
                  You think they would figure it out if I submitted a plate for:

FTM PTB?

I might offend the mutts.
                  September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
                  IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
                  Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

Comment

I thought "NTWF" meant "National Wild Turkey Federation",also.

Comment

SCORE ONE FOR GRANNY!

Granny To Keep So-Called 'Obscene' License Tags
                      Ohio Woman Says Acronym Stands For Late Husband's Business

POSTED: 1:43 pm EDT August 23, 2006
                      UPDATED: 4:32 pm EDT August 23, 2006

COLUMBUS, Ohio -- A Central Ohio grandmother fought for and won the right to keep her personalized license plate after allegations that they were profane.

Pat Niple, 74, said she wants to set the record straight about her problem, WCMH-TV reported.

"I'm not an obscene granny," Niple said.

Niple's personalized license plates are NWTF, an abbreviation of Northwood Tree Farm -- a business she owned with her late husband. It also means something else, officials said.

Niple went to an Ohio Bureau of Motor Vehicles office to get some answers. A clerk had to whisper what the acronym means to some people.

"Now what the –- and the last word begins with an 'f,'" Niple said.

Niple was told that her license plates she has displayed for 10 years would be taken away. She said she was astonished and appealed to keep the abbreviated reminder of her late husband's business.

"You can't take any letter of the alphabet and make something out of it. I don't think we need to give in to obscenity or derogatory things," she said.

After weeks of debate and national media attention, Niple's plates were returned to her last weekend.

Previous Stories:
                      Aug. 4, 2006: Woman's 10-Year-Old Plate Now Called Obscene

Distributed by Internet Broadcasting.

Comment

Outstanding.

Someone at the DMV has a brain.....And common sense.

What a novel idea.
                        "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

The borrower is slave to the lender. Proverbs 22:7 - Debt free since 10/5/2009.

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

www.daveramsey.com www.clarkhoward.com www.heritage.org

Comment

Originally posted by DaSharkie
                          Outstanding.

Someone at the DMV has a brain.....And common sense.

What a novel idea.
                          And as soon as they figure out who it is, they will be terminated for unauthorized use of a brain.

Comment

Originally posted by jlcooke3
                            And as soon as they figure out who it is, they will be terminated for unauthorized use of a brain.
                            ROFLOL!! Now that is funny!! To bad it's probably true.

On subject, I'm glad Granny got to keep her plates.

PKFPD
                            IACOJ and proud of it

Don't argue with an idiot; people watching may not be able to tell the difference.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X