Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Morale alive and well in the fire service?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rfdlou
    replied
    Alive & Well

Saw a FAX in the Firehouse from the County Fire School. The Fall Firefighter I class is FULL and there is a waiting list. Alive & Well

Leave a comment:

• Ashift30
    replied
    On more thing....

The word "kid" is meant as a term of endearment, a fatherly description for our new hires, not as any reference of disrespect.

Jeff

Leave a comment:

• Ashift30
    replied
    To FTMPTB15, Thats exactly what I was looking for. Thank You.

To Hwoods, I really appreciated the IAFF leadership opinion. I have always heard for the old guys that they prayed that someone cared enough to get active in the local for the right reasons. The IAFF is stronger now than ever because of the strong backs of those who walked before them. I also appreciate your opinion about VFD resurgence in many areas. I am seeing more career FF's step in their small communities to provide protection as a volunteer or day crew staff.

To E40FDNYL35, As I promoted up and off the rigs, you remind me what I love most about the job. Showing up and going to work. As management...SLOW DOWN! As a firefighter...Just get there safely!

To Flyingkiwi, well said. Why do so many Chief's forget where they come from?

I guess I posted this thread because fun and games is nice to talk about. I just want to hear why you still do it every day. Why are you motivated and how are you sharing the mission? Do you still have hope?

Jeff

Leave a comment:

• FlyingKiwi
    replied
    I have observed that our morale is always exactly the level stated by the Chief Fire Officer in his reports to HQ.

No one ever contradicts this to the bosses.

Leave a comment:

• lvwrench
    replied
    Bones: Not inferring anything but just thought that as long as the thread sat here before any response that it appeared a bash of sorts on the older guys. Seeing that it was not intended that way now I was reading a little into it. Morale can be greatly effected by change and change can be both good or bad. I feel that those who are happy, proud and have great morale are very blessed. The changes happening where I am at don't seem to be of the positive type, at least for many of us, because I have been seeing too many of the older good guys going, the middle group struggling and the newbies just going along for the ride. Of course it is all just my opinion.

Leave a comment:

• Bones42
    replied
    Originally posted by lvwrench
    Offhand I would say you stepped on the toes of the IACOJ and any response would have created immediate dismissal from the forum.
    As a member of IACOJ, I have no idea what you may be inferring here.

In my company, I'm finding the worst morale to be coming from the middle group. Not the old guys, not the new guys. Over the years, it seems they start with lots of good morale, then it slowly fades, then when they hit 15+ years, that morale seems to come rushing back.

Leave a comment:

• E40FDNYL35
    replied
    Originally posted by Ashift30
    ......So, my question to you, Is Morale alive and well in the fire service and why?
    Yes it is. Where in the world can you drive fast, break things, and be a hero

Leave a comment:

• hwoods
    replied
    Well...............

I have sort of a mixed bag up here in the Mid-Atlantic area. I worked as a Career Firefighter, retiring after 24 years. I'm now fighting Fires for the State (Maryland) Forest Service. I've also been a Volunteer since Oct. 4, 1958. The Career job is changing, with more people coming on without any Volunteer background, and they (and some former Volunteers as well) aren't really into the Fire Service, but just looking for a "Government Job". In my younger days, If you didn't bust your hump on a job, you heard about it, but now that's "Harassment". BUT, having said that, we still have some young people coming on who are from the old school, and they work hard. Younger folks are also stepping into the leadership positions in the IAFF local, and there are some positives from that. On the Volunteer side, there seems to be a "business as usual" attitude, some folks come in, some leave, for various reasons. A nearby VFD that I thought would die 5 years ago, is now stronger than they've ever been, new leadership all around, and a huge increase in Volunteers. Some other stations are Static, some change but not disruptive, some have lost people big time, and, believe it or not, New VFDs are still being formed in these times. I don't think the "Kids" that we are staking our future on are that bad, just a bit different, and that's because of the changing times we live in, not due to anything in the Fire Service. I joined our VFD because I wanted to, not for fame or fortune, but becaus "I" wanted to. I was one of five of the third generation in our family serving at that time. Today, my two oldest grandsons are members as well, the first two of the Fifth generation to belong to the same VFD. Lot of tradition, and a lot of pride there. I think that, overall, morale is good, times are good, and positive things are happening.

Leave a comment:

• FTMPTB15
    replied
    I guess our Department is thriving these days but I see others around us falling to pieces.
    I think you'll find that everywhere. It's true here... I see departments that aren't necessarily "falling to pieces" but they are struggling to keep firefighters, struggling to satisfy the majority (you'll never satisfy EVERYONE!), and just generally the members seem to have a low morale (and openly admit that). It's a shame when fellow firefighters no longer look forward to going to work, because of the morale issues which trickle down from the top down. On the flip-side, they seem to be working out most of the issues and the morale is going back up again for most of the department. There will always be those few "bad apples" in the bushel.

Before 9/11 we were struggling for attention and respect after many years of broken bones and burns. After 9/11 we got respect but many of us didn't really know how to handle it off the loss of dear friends and brothers.
    What I noticed pre-September 11, 2001 is that people really didn't totally understand and appreciate what firefighters do everyday, until they needed them. Unfortunately, it took an event like the WTC attacks to open the eyes of the public. I guess it took losing 343 brothers in order for the public to realize that firefighters are there every day, for every situation which might arise. Also, I think that the mass number of television shows, movies, documentaries, and just publicity on the TV has increased the public's awareness of our profession. I notice that a lot more people these days seem to appreciate Public Servants in general (not just Firefighters). They seem to always say thank-you even if we can't help. I guess repeatedly seeing what those firefighters did on September 11, 2001 and what the firefighters did the days following those attacks, served as a reminder to the public that we (Public Servants) are their first responders in time of disaster. It re-enforced the fact that when they (the general public) don't know who to turn to in a time of need, they can always trust their local Public Servants to be there for them. So many people were changed on that day on so many different levels, we can only hope that they will Never Forget, because I'm sure the Fire Service will Never Forget the day that so many Brothers paid the ultimate sacrifice.

That's just my take on what I think you were getting at.

Leave a comment:

• Ashift30
    replied
    Originally posted by GodSendRain
    I'm just not clear on whether your topic is on "Morale" or "Old Vs. New" or "Wanna-be's Vs. Likely candidates for Firefighters".
    I am a 25 year career FF. This thread isn't to bash "dinosaurs" because I fall loosely in that catagory. Its not an anti newbi or pro old hat. Its just a question, Is your department thriving? Are the new guys doing their part to keep up the tradition? Are the senior FF's helping the probies along where you are? My hats are off to the over 20 year crowd who chooses to stay in a job we love instead of retiring at first chance.

The fire service has been on an emotional rollercoaster the last 10 years and I know a lot of tired and broken bodies. Not all departments have chiefs that suck, bad rigs, or tattered gear. I guess our Department is thriving these days but I see others around us falling to pieces.

Leave a comment:

• GodSendRain
    replied
    I'm just not clear on whether your topic is on "Morale" or "Old Vs. New" or "Wanna-be's Vs. Likely candidates for Firefighters".

Leave a comment:

• lvwrench
    replied
    since you ask

Offhand I would say you stepped on the toes of the IACOJ and any response would have created immediate dismissal from the forum. I find much of the opposite with a lack of pride that comes with being in the IAFF and a lack of respect for the older guys. Too many newbies are just out there to make a buck, climb the ladder or just have a job. Of course it ain't what it used to be but calling people dinosaurs and such won't gain you any awards. Besides, much of the morale has to do with the inadequacies of the management/administration side. So, if your looking to be rid of the dead weight I'll ablige by saying I'm out next April 1, 2007. All of what I said and I'm just a support weenie.

Leave a comment:

• Ashift30
    replied
    Well, this was the fastest topic to ever die on the forum.

Leave a comment:

• Ashift30
    started a topic Is Morale alive and well in the fire service?

Is Morale alive and well in the fire service?

I am just curious about your observations. I am seeing a resurgence of morale and job pride in the fire service. The dinosaurs either adapted to HM and EMS or retired. Those who were not quite of age struggled until retirement, fairly disgruntled.

Before 9/11 we were struggling for attention and respect after many years of broken bones and burns. After 9/11 we got respect but many of us didn't really know how to handle it off the loss of dear friends and brothers. 5 years later we are emotionally tired and the new kids are healthier and more alive than ever picking us up emotionally. They are like puppy dogs that play hard and sleep hard, but when you throw the ball they will run their asses off.

We have a new group of kids coming into the job and starting to climb the ranks, and I am seeing a new sense of pride. It is not the battle worn pride that the ancient have, but a new sense of purpose. The old bitchin' seems to be falling away.

I find this refreshing even if the pup's don't give a rats butt to the fires we made. They still seem to respect the worn shoes of those who walked before them. I think most of the 9/11 posers have already weeded out so we are seeing the real deal walk through our bay doors.

So, my question to you, Is Morale alive and well in the fire service and why?

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
Working...
X