MTV Turns 25...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MTV Turns 25...

Wow...I remember when it first came out. And even more when they really played music. Those brown cable boxes with the cord. The VJs with the video games in the background.

Here is the news link- http://www.yahoo.com/s/359620

And dont forget this...I Want My MTV Video.....Too much is never enough.
    Last edited by CALFFBOU; 08-01-2006, 12:42 AM.

I remember that too! When it was really Music Television.

OMG I'm getting old.
    I can't believe they actually pay me to do this!!!

One friend noted yesterday that a fire officer only carries a flashlight, sometimes prompting grumbling from firefighters who have to lug tools and hoses.
    "The old saying is you never know how heavy that flashlight can become," the friend said.
    -from a tragic story posted on firefighterclosecalls.com

Comment

Originally posted by IronsMan53
      OMG I'm getting old.
      you said it
      First in, Last out, nobody left behind.....

Comment

I agree 100% with that.

The same twits that destroyed MTV bought out VH1 several years ago (promptly destroying that network) and stopping them from playing music.

Now, they own CMT and have begun the rout of it as well.

It was better to have the real VJs who had a sense of style and were decent. Remember Headbanger's Ball?
        "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

The borrower is slave to the lender. Proverbs 22:7 - Debt free since 10/5/2009.

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

www.daveramsey.com www.clarkhoward.com www.heritage.org

Comment

OMG I'm getting old.
          If you mean there were no commercials I remember that as well. Long gone.
          They told me if I voted for Hillary Clinton the president would be emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable. They were right. I voted for Hillary Clinton and got a president that is emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable.

I'm not saying you're stupid. I'm saying you have bad luck when it comes to thinking.

Comment

I had just returned from England on leave and saw MTV for the first time. WOW do I feel old....and yeah they actually played music, what a concept.
            Never trust a smiling dog.
            The uniform you're given is free, but it comes with a history. Do the right thing when you're in it.
            PTB, EGH, FTM.

Comment

For the trivia nuts: anyone remember what the first video played was?

And yes, I remember those mini set-top cable boxes, where you had to put on a new channel sticker every few months. 3 levels, press the button and move the slide to change channels. Haven't turned that channel on in years. Used to be full of cool videos but that stopped long ago. Can't stand to watch it now. Guess I'm too old for it at 32 anyway.

Let's see: commercial was Cyndi Lauper, Billy Idol, David Bowie, and Boy George. Just saw the news story that Boy George is on the side of the road picking up trash in an orange jumpsuit.
              Brian P. Vickers
              www.vickersconsultingservices.com
              Emergency Services Consulting
              Westlake VFD - Houston, TX
              Proud Member IACOJ - Redneck Division

Comment

Originally posted by BC79er
                wasn't it michael jackson's thriller?

edit to add: ok, I was wrong. a quick search on the net revealed the first music video shown on MTV was "Video Killed the Radio Star" by The Buggles. The second video shown was Pat Benatar's "You Better Run".
                Last edited by drparasite; 08-01-2006, 09:57 AM.
                If my basic HazMat training has taught me nothing else, it's that if you see a glowing green monkey running away from something, follow that monkey!

FF/EMT/DBP

Comment

Nope. For the longest time I thought it was Whip It by Devo. Then one day playing Trivial Pursuit the answer was revealed. It was kind of a prophetic title to a song, by a one hit wonder....
                  Brian P. Vickers

Comment

Originally posted by BC79er

And yes, I remember those mini set-top cable boxes, where you had to put on a new channel sticker every few months. 3 levels, press the button and move the slide to change channels. Haven't turned that channel on in years. Used to be full of cool videos but that stopped long ago. Can't stand to watch it now. Guess I'm too old for it at 32 anyway.

Let's see: commercial was Cyndi Lauper, Billy Idol, David Bowie, and Boy George. Just saw the news story that Boy George is on the side of the road picking up trash in an orange jumpsuit.
                    "Video Killed the Radio Star" by the Buggles.

The lyrics:

I heard you on the wireless back in Fifty Two
                    Lying awake intent at tuning in on you.
                    If I was young it didn't stop you coming through.
                    Oh-a oh

They took the credit for your second symphony.
                    Rewritten by machine and new technology,
                    and now I understand the problems you can see.

Oh-a oh
                    I met your children
                    Oh-a oh
                    What did you tell them?

Video killed the radio star.
                    Pictures came and broke your heart.

Oh-a-a-a oh

And now we meet in an abandoned studio.
                    We hear the playback and it seems so long ago.
                    And you remember the jingles used to go.

Oh-a oh
                    You were the first one.
                    Oh-a oh
                    You were the last one.

In my mind and in my car, we can't rewind we've gone to far
                    Oh-a-aho oh,
                    Oh-a-aho oh

In my mind and in my car, we can't rewind we've gone to far.
                    Pictures came and broke your heart, put the blame on VTR.

You are a radio star.
                    You are a radio star.
                    Last edited by CaptainGonzo; 08-01-2006, 10:30 AM.
                    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
                    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Comment

We have a winner!
                      Brian P. Vickers

Comment

Originally posted by DaSharkie
                        I agree 100% with that.

The same twits that destroyed MTV bought out VH1 several years ago (promptly destroying that network) and stopping them from playing music.

Now, they own CMT and have begun the rout of it as well.

It was better to have the real VJs who had a sense of style and were decent. Remember Headbanger's Ball?
                        Yeah, then they came out with MTV2 for digital cable to show music videos since they obviously don't show them on the regular MTV anymore. The other day I was flipping channels and saw a reality show on MTV2. Same thing is going to happen to that one too.

I didn't know they own CMT. That's too bad.

And oh yes! Headbanger's Ball... Died when grunge hit the scene... and when they got rid of Jenny the Sofa.
                        I can't believe they actually pay me to do this!!!

One friend noted yesterday that a fire officer only carries a flashlight, sometimes prompting grumbling from firefighters who have to lug tools and hoses.
                        "The old saying is you never know how heavy that flashlight can become," the friend said.
                        -from a tragic story posted on firefighterclosecalls.com

Comment

I used to watch the Half Hour Comedy Hour. And of course Yo MTV Raps. Old School, man, old school.
                          Brian P. Vickers

Comment

I didn't know they own CMT. That's too bad.
                            Yippers. Viacom owns MTV, VH1, CMT, and CBS. Destroyed the network.

Now you have 3 hours of the Dukes of Hazard, and a whole bunch of stupid freaking shows. Some having to do with COUNTRY music, some having nothing to do with music at all. Just destroying the whole thing.

Too bad is right. Give me some freaking music videos and I am happy. At least you can go their web site and watch the videos on the computer.

If you have MUSIC in your title, aren't you um.....oh.....OBLIGATED to at least stick to music?
                            "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

The borrower is slave to the lender. Proverbs 22:7 - Debt free since 10/5/2009.

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

www.daveramsey.com www.clarkhoward.com www.heritage.org

Comment

MTV flat out sucks. I thought that when they started "M2" they would go back to playing videos and being more music oriented with the new channel. Well, that lasted a short time...now it sucks, too. Watching MTV makes me want to gargle hot oil and razor blades.
                              Member IACOJ

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X