No announcement yet.

Hows the weather?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

too damn hot and too damn humid. had a 2 alarm fire in my district in the morning. that night, had a 3 alarm fire in the next city over (where I work EMS) which kept me on scene for 3+ hours.

All I can say is that it is too damn hot and humid to be fighting fires.
    If my basic HazMat training has taught me nothing else, it's that if you see a glowing green monkey running away from something, follow that monkey!

FF/EMT/DBP

Comment

Massive heat wave these next few days in the Northeast. Remember hydration is key. This will put a great strain on the power grid as the FDNY members can attest to. Keep your guard up on electrical incidents, etc. Stay safe brothers and sisters it's going to be rough out there.
      Tom

Never Forget 9-11-2001

Stay safe out there!

IACOJ Member

Comment

From the NWS on Saturday:

Issued at: 3:06 PM EDT 7/30/06, expires at: 11:00 PM EDT 7/30/06

Excessive heat watch in effect from Tuesday afternoon through thursday afternoon, The NWS in sterling virginia has issued an excessive heat watch, which is in effect from Tuesday afternoon through Thursday afternoon.

A large dome of high pressure will setup across the mid atlantic from Tuesday to Thursday. Maximum temperatures around 100 degrees combined with high humidity will cause the heat index values to rise to around 110 degrees, with values in urban areas being highest.

Although locations west of the blue ridge mountains are normally considered to be cooler, in this case, those locations will be nearly as hot as Washington dc. Therefore citizens in cities such as martinsburg, hagerstown, cumberland, and waynesboro should take the threat of extreme heat very seriously. The airmass that is expected to move into our region is the one that was located over the western united states last week.

Now is the time to prepare for a heat wave across the region. An excessive heat watch means that a prolonged period of hot temperatures is expected. The combination of hot temperatures and high humidity will combine to create a dangerous situation in which heat illnesses and fatalities will be possible. Drink plenty of fluids, stay in an air-conditioned room, stay out of the sun, and check up on relatives and neighbors.

What Tom Said....
        If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Comment

Well, as of 0856 it's already 75F with 87% Humidity. As stated above, there is a massive heat wave and we're expected to go up to 95F. Stay safe, and drink those fluids!
          Do it because you love it, not because you love being seen doing it.

Comment

Finally down to a decent 100 and low humidity here in sin city.

Comment

It's hard to believe, but six months ago it was 120 degrees cooler than it is today! 102 with a 113 heat index......eeeeesh.

Just got back from a small structure fire.... unbelievable.....20 minutes and I'm toast.

Give me January any day!

Comment

Excessive heat watch for tomorrow. Around 90 and very humid today, mid-90's tomorrow with more high humidity. Had some real nasty thunderstorms this past Friday and Saturday. Put down a couple inches of rain within an hour with each one and some mighty impressive lightning. Way too bloody hot and sticky!
                In Arduis Fidelis
                Faithful in Adversity

Comment

105 here...high humidity....heat index 110+. News says it's here to stay for a while. I might actually miss those Chicago winters!

Comment

At last...the heat has backed off a little over here...it dropped from the 90's to the 80's in the latter part of the week, but today it dopped to around the high 70's...we have a couple of days respite due, temperatures around the low 70's, with a bit of rain maybe...never thought I'd be pleased for rain... but it may give a break from all the grass and heathland fires.

Back up towards the 80's again next weekend. There are two schools of thoguht for August...one is saying we have had the worst of it in July and it won't get back to the 90's but another states that with August traditionally being our hottest month, we may see 106 which would break the 102 degree UK record.

Personally...I like it around 80 degrees and cloudless. It is nice and warm, you can lay around in the sun quite happily but you don't melt every time you lift a finger and have to lock yourself indors or in the car with the A/C going.
                    Steve Dude
                    IACOJ member
                    www.fireservice.co.uk

London Fire Brigade...."Can Do"

'Irony'... It's a British thing.

Comment

Just got another heat advisory message in my email from NBC4, to go with the two severe thunderstorm warnings that came in for later today/tonight.

Oh-Joy-O-Bliss.
                      If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Comment

Originally posted by TCFire
                        Excessive heat watch for tomorrow. Around 90 and very humid today, mid-90's tomorrow with more high humidity. Had some real nasty thunderstorms this past Friday and Saturday. Put down a couple inches of rain within an hour with each one and some mighty impressive lightning. Way too bloody hot and sticky!
                        That and it put a damper on the convention festivities. Not a big damper, but a damper none the less. I was wondering if we were going to get some freaky weather friday as I watched the swirling clouds. Thought we were going to have a severe weather event! Aunty Emm, Its a twister!
                        Shawn M. Cecula
                        Firefighter
                        IACOJ Division of Fire and EMS

Comment

Originally posted by scfire86
                          Been hot here. I live about two miles from the ocean. 100 degree days and 90 degree nights.

I can't even imagine what it's like inland or in the desert areas.
                          I am living inland for the first time and let me tell you, it is humid as hell. The thermometer in my car said 111 two days ago and I thought... that has got to be wrong, then at the same time I passed a bank that displayed a digital temp, it said 107. I thought I was seeing things so I turned my head around and did a double take, looked in the side view mirror as I passed. I have never seen those numbers before. I lived in hot South Florida and humid Virginia and have not seen those temps, but then again, I lived near the water. One thing I can say positive is I don't miss the hurricane season in Florida!

It may be hot and humid, but I have best tan I have ever had ! : )

Melissa
                          Last edited by firetruckred; 08-01-2006, 02:25 PM.

Comment

Its HOT, Africa HOT, Tarzan doesnt like this Kinda HOT! Damn its hot!
                            Shawn M. Cecula
                            Firefighter
                            IACOJ Division of Fire and EMS

Comment

Originally posted by Lewiston2Capt
                              That and it put a damper on the convention festivities. Not a big damper, but a damper none the less.
                              I saw some pictures that, well, they were damp yes, but.....
                              In Arduis Fidelis
                              Faithful in Adversity

Comment

yeah its to frigggin hot here. I'm gonna jump in the river for a while. then go to work and sweat it out there.
                                J
                                It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X