Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hint. Dont rob a gun store with a knife.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hint. Dont rob a gun store with a knife.

Distraught father says his son shot intruder 'in self defence'

4.00pm Thursday July 27, 2006
    By Ian Stuart

A distraught gun dealer says his son acted in self defence when a machete wielding man burst into his south Auckland gun shop today.

Ray Carvell said his son Greg, 33, a director of the Small Arms International gun shop in Great South Road, Penrose, had no choice when he loaded a handgun and shot the man in the stomach.

"He was told to stop. He kept coming at him and he was in fear of his life," Mr Carvell, the managing director of the company, said today.

"If we had had tennis rackets in there we might have hit him with a tennis racket," Mr Carvell said.

The drama began about 10am today when a man with a machete entered the gun shop. Police said they were still piecing together what then happened but confirmed they were only called after the man had been shot.

They said it was too soon to say if either Greg Carvell or the man with the machete would be charged.

The wounded man was operated on in Auckland Hospital within an hour of so of being shot and police said his life was not in danger.

However, Ray Carvell, a gun dealer for 40 years, said both he and Greg were in shock.

He said his son was protecting his own life and the lives of two or three other people in the shop.

Ray Carvell, who was not in the shop when the man burst in, said he had spoken to his son only briefly on the telephone after police refused to let him see him.

"His life was threatened. My son would not have shot anybody other than somebody who threatened his life."

He said he felt devastated when he heard the news of the shooting but said it was always a possibility with gun dealers.

Mr Carvell would not say if the gun his son used and the ammunition were stored separately.

"There is ammunition and there are guns of all sorts in there. We sell all sorts of guns. We are licensed dealers. We can keep anything together any time we want to.

"We test fire guns all day long," he said.

He said his son had grown up with guns and knew the difference "between play acting and when somebody was meaning to kill him.

"Like anyone in this country, he doesn't have to have his head bloody cut off before he does something about it."

He said the intruder may not have stopped with his son.

"We have a duty to the general public not to let people do this. We take our business seriously."

He said his shop had been ramraided earlier this year but the thieves got nothing because of the extraordinarily high security.

"We don't go round shooting people because we want to shoot people but we have got a right to defend ourselves and if that is what has happened, he has had a perfectly good right and I will stand by him thick and thin."

He said he was glad the man with the machete was not dead.

"But I am glad it is not my son that is laying on the floor with his guts hanging open," Mr Carvell said.

"I don't really give a bugger who he is (the man with the machete). All I care about is my son," said Mr Carvell as his voice quavered with emotion.

Lookit, he took a knife to a gunfight.

That was silly now, wasnt it.

Good job by the Son, and I hope the Police do NOT charge you for protecting your own and other peoples safety.

Personally I think it was very restrained self control, I was always taught to "Double Tap" with a pistol, so the barsteward would be stone cold by now.
    Psychiatrists state 1 in 4 people has a mental illness.
    Look at three of your friends, if they are ok, your it.

Isn't it amazing that a person has to defend their actions against a criminal or someone with criminal intent?

Comment

^ ditto
      First in, Last out, nobody left behind.....

Comment

How about this scenario. Distraught individual wants to commit suicide, decides he doesn't have the stones to do it himself, figures what better way than to have someone else do it for him ? Thinks " hmm lets do something that would make someone kill me, hey I know lets really torque off someone that has the ways and means to kill me like that guy down and the gun shop, I'll bet he has a loaded gun and knows how to use it" Similar to "suicide by cop".

Comment

^^ Will help him on his way to permenant pyschatric help.

I'm not really going to give two shakes of rat's *** why someone is running at me swinging a machete before or after.

Comment

Originally posted by Dalmatian190

I'm not really going to give two shakes of rat's *** why someone is running at me swinging a machete before or after.
            Amen to that!

I was surprised to see that NZ still had gun shops at all - particularly one that carried any type of handgun. With their liberal PM, I figured by now they would be 'enlightened' like Australia and the UK where only criminals can have guns. Thank goodness for this family, I was wrong.

On a lighter note, Dal's post reminded me of the old joke about how you tell Democrats, Republicans, and southern Republicans apart...

You're walking down a deserted street with your wife and two small children.

Suddenly, a maniac with a huge knife comes around the corner, locks eyes with you, screams obscenities, raises the knife, and charges at you.

You are carrying a Glock .40 cal, and you are an expert shot. You have mere seconds before he reaches you and your family. What do you do?

Democrat's Answer:

Well, that's not enough information to answer the question! Does the man look poor! Or oppressed? Have I ever done anything to him that would inspire him to attack? Could we run away? What does my wife think? What about the kids? Could I possibly swing the gun like a club and knock the knife out of his hand? What does the law say about this situation? Does the Glock have appropriate safety built into it? Why am I carrying a loaded gun anyway, and what kind of message does this send to society and to my children? Is it possible he'd be happy with just killing me? Does he definitely want to kill me, or would he be content just to wound me? If I were to grab his knees and hold on, could my family get away while he was stabbing me? Should I call 9-1-1? Why is this street so deserted? We need to raise taxes, have a paint and weed day and make this a happier, healthier street that would discourage such behavior. This is all so confusing! I need to debate this with some friends for a few days and try to come to a consensus.

Republican's Answer:

BANG!

Southerner's Answer:

BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! click...(sounds of reloading). BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG!

Daughter: "Nice grouping, Daddy! Were those the Winchester Silver Tips or Hollow Points?

Son: Can I shoot the next one?

Wife: You ain't taking that to the Taxidermist!

Comment

BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG!

8 rounds...damn, you have the same high capacity magazine restrictions down there too.

Comment

Originally posted by EFD840

BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! click...(sounds of reloading). BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG!

May I add Whack , Whack, Whack, ... ( with the butt of the now empty and smoking pistol...)
                I.A.C.O.J. "The Cork"

Comment

We certainly have a lot less gun weilding maniacs than America so we cant be doing everything wrong can we?
                  You can have a gun here, you just need a reason do have one such as competition shooting, hunting, kulling livestock,etc...
                  I just dont understand how you can let guns fall into people's hands so easily over there. I think its bad enough that they let your average person drive a car, let alone have a firearm.
                  And before you go accusing my government of being liberal in the sense of the term that they are pussies, the oppostion party are the ones who suit your 'liberals' stereotype a lot more...despite the fact that they are the liberal party.

Okay that probably doesnt make sense but i had a long night out at Surfers Paradise.

Liberal-National Coalition = Non-liberal
                  Labor Party = liberal
                  "There are only two things that i know are infinite, the universe and human stupidity. And im not so sure about the former."

For all the life of me, i cant see a firefighter going to hell. At least not for very long. We would end up putting out all the fires and annoying the devil too much.

Comment

Incoming!

[QUOTE=PattyV]We certainly have a lot less gun weilding maniacs than America so we cant be doing everything wrong can we?
                    You can have a gun here, you just need a reason do have one such as competition shooting, hunting, kulling livestock,etc...
                    I just dont understand how you can let guns fall into people's hands so easily over there. I think its bad enough that they let your average person drive a car, let alone have a firearm.
                    And before you go accusing my government of being liberal in the sense of the term that they are pussies, the oppostion party are the ones who suit your 'liberals' stereotype a lot more...despite the fact that they are the liberal party.

PattyV-I sincerely hope you do not get the amount of flak that I did when I expounded your sentiments--but then who really gives a Rotund Rodents Ringpiece? Friendly fire kills you just as much as enemy fire!

Comment

Quick tip.

Any fire heading in your direction is NOT freindly. Doesn't matter who fired it, duck.
                      Psychiatrists state 1 in 4 people has a mental illness.
                      Look at three of your friends, if they are ok, your it.

Comment

Originally posted by FlyingKiwi
                        Personally I think it was very restrained self control, I was always taught to "Double Tap" with a pistol, so the barsteward would be stone cold by now.
                        My thoughts exactly...............
                        ------------------------------------
                        These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.
                        ------------------------------------

Comment

Originally posted by PattyV
                          We certainly have a lot less gun weilding maniacs than America so we cant be doing everything wrong can we?

Okay that probably doesnt make sense but i had a long night out at Surfers Paradise.

Liberal-National Coalition = Non-liberal
                          Labor Party = liberal
                          God Bless America.
                          Warm Regards,
                          Shawn Stoner
                          EMT-B

Comment

Originally posted by EFD840
                            Amen to that!

I was surprised to see that NZ still had gun shops at all - particularly one that carried any type of handgun. With their liberal PM, I figured by now they would be 'enlightened' like Australia and the UK where only criminals can have guns. Thank goodness for this family, I was wrong.

[/i]
                            In Texas this guy would have never made in to the gun store - a cowboy would have seen him coming and taken care of this guy before he opned the door!

God Bless Texas.....man I miss the Lone Star.
                            Warm Regards,
                            Shawn Stoner
                            EMT-B

Comment

Originally posted by PattyV

Ive got a very good reason, in fact 4 of them:
                              1. The Second Amendment
                              2. A Daughter
                              3. A Wife
                              4. A God given obligation to stand between them and any piece of human debris that would harm them.

But maybe we're just raised differently over here.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X