Musings Of A Fourth.... ;)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Musings Of A Fourth.... ;)

What a world we live in. Over this past few days I’ve been contemplating what my 5000 post might be. It ran through my head to make it something serious, then there was the idea of something funny, maybe a story of days past or some such.

After a while I got to thinking about some of the things I’ve seen and done over this past 6 years… ya I know for most around here that ain’t a lot of Crust on the Ole Lid, but what there is came at a price.

In between the car and brush fires, or medical calls there was station in-fighting and serious changes in Command, a World Class (Ya right! He says.) trip to the Arabian Gulf 8 weeks after 9-11. I got my first and only carrier launch on that trip. And that led to some domestic engineering problems, better left unsaid.

Now I am one of the Privileged few Canadians on an Out of Country post, to one of the most wonderful places I’ve ever had the honour of serving in. From that came a new fire department and new friends.

But as with all things paradaisical (is that a word? LOL) there is a serpent in the grass. I guess you can’t have all good things eh? For this I speak of recent current events in the Middle East, North Korea and at home. At home, in this case I am referring to Mother Nature herself doing what she does best, in the form of forest rehabilitation (read WILD FIRES) and the folks who have been displaced from their homes because of Mother’s Rath.

There are folks in history past who have flatly stated that World War Three would come out of the deserts of the Middle East. Maybe they are right, I don’t know. I guess it’s not helping my mind any that just a few weeks ago I started reading a book I’ve read before, Harold Coyle’s novel, Bright Star, which portrays events very like what we are watching in the news today. Even though his story is set during the Cold War of the 1980’s much of what he wrote is awesomely familiar today – kinda scary when you think about it.

I can’t help but be reminded of Albert Einstein’s prediction: “I don’t know how World War 3 will be fought, but I know that World War 4 will be with sticks and stones.” With North Korea “contribution” to world events lately, sometimes I wonder if its worth looking into the price of property in the Arctic or some other truly remote out of the way place. Not that it would be any safer in the end and where I am now.

So as I sit here, looking at the computer screen and wondering what tomorrow will bring, I give thanks to the things I do know. I know that I have two very wonderful sons back in Canada. I get to talk with them most every weekend, and have had some really great visits with them in the recent past. There are the friends that I have met from these boards, and those I have made in my travels around the world. I got to meet with my two nieces and brother-in-law for the first time, because of my tour here, and look forward to several more in the future. We won’t get into the Adventures Aux Mechanical that I’ve experienced in the past few months… like the transmission/car fire…. So when you look at it that way, life has been good. Sure there’ve been some pretty big downward swings, and some of those have felt deeper than the Grand Canyon, but ya know… there is only one way to go when ya get that low, and that’s UP! After that, the sky IS the limit!

Y’all take care, have a wonderful and SAFE summer holiday (ya I know.. its nearly ½ over LOL) KEEP YOUR STICK ON THE ICE!
    Last edited by MalahatTwo7; 07-18-2006, 07:45 AM. Reason: China should read "North Korea" ooppsss
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Kia Kaha Rick.

I have always considered it a priviledge to be called Brother by you.

Crust is forged by Fire. You have worn more heat than most "normal" people see in three lifetimes.

Kia Kaha Brother.
    Psychiatrists state 1 in 4 people has a mental illness.
    Look at three of your friends, if they are ok, your it.

Comment

Originally posted by MalahatTwo7
      ...ya I know for most around here that ain’t a lot of Crust on the Ole Lid, but what there is came at a price...
      I can only echo Kiwi's sentiment, but I can honestly say that the journey you have taken as of late has put more crust on your lid than many will see in a lifetime.

I admire you Rick for your service to your country and community, your integrity, and your contribution in all that you do.

Keep up the good work buddy!
      Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!

IACOJ

Comment

he made it to 5K

Rick
        My friend.....thank you.

cheffie

Comment

Congrats on 5,000 posts. Thanks for all of the laughs and most importantly WISDOM
          Tom

Never Forget 9-11-2001

Stay safe out there!

IACOJ Member

Comment

Congrats on the big 5000!

Excellent post, Rick.

Marty and Ian, my sentiments exactly. Well said, so I won't repeat it.
            September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
            IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
            Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

Comment

Congratulations on number 5,000.... and here's to 5,000 more....

Last edited by FrFtr28; 07-18-2006, 10:01 AM.
              28 P.R.I.D.E.
              Protecting Residents In District #1 Everyday
              www.westmead1.com

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse