Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by rhvfd1214 View Post
    ZING... strong and freeZING....

Our forecasted low for Thursday, January 15, 2009: 7 degrees F.

Oh wait.. I'm still in Mississippi, too! Crap.

I was talking to my folks, who are still in East TN, and they said it has been abnormally cold there this winter, compared to averages from the last 15-20 years. I lived in TN on and off throughout my life and can't remember too many days as a child in which I couldn't go outside for more than a few minutes due to extreme cold.

Although I'm acclimating to Ontario weather, the past couple of days have been so bitterly cold that even going to the mailbox a few yards up the street makes the eyes water and even gloved fingers feel the bite. And you know it's truly cold when Nikita, a breed made to tolerate low temps, doesn't want to go out for more than a quick potty break.

p.s. The temp right now is -5* (F)

Comment

• Fortunately, the bitter cold didn't quite make it as far South as they thought. Instead, we had to settle for a low in the mid-teens. It isn't so bad... I just wish I could move after I get through putting on enough clothes to stay warm. We still have our Winter Bass Fishing tournament trail in full swing, fortunately, we've only had low 20s to deal with. With three more to go before the spring trails kick off, we are still waiting to see what the lowest blast-off temp will be. We've been lucky enough not to have to deal with snow or ice, yet. Water temps have been in the 40's for the most part.
      I fish for a living, but I have to work for money...

Comment

• And??..........

Originally posted by rhvfd1214 View Post
        Fortunately, the bitter cold didn't quite make it as far South as they thought. Instead, we had to settle for a low in the mid-teens. It isn't so bad... I just wish I could move after I get through putting on enough clothes to stay warm. We still have our Winter Bass Fishing tournament trail in full swing, fortunately, we've only had low 20s to deal with. With three more to go before the spring trails kick off, we are still waiting to see what the lowest blast-off temp will be. We've been lucky enough not to have to deal with snow or ice, yet. Water temps have been in the 40's for the most part.

Are you having any luck??........
        Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
        In memory of
        Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
        Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Comment

• Yes, Harve!

The last tournament I fished was on Pickwick Lake, Jan. 3, 2009. First place had 5 fish @ 14.74 pounds, and me and my partner finished 2nd with 13.17 lbs in only 4 fish. 3rd place was distant at 5.21 lbs with their 4 fish. My partner had the 'big fish' for the day, a 5.69 beauty, which was his first fish he had ever caught on Pickwick Lake. I followed his fish with one of my own over 4 lbs. We had no pattern, just crank and grind. We caught fish in 5 feet of water, and all the way down to over 25 foot deep. He used a spinnerbait, slow rolled, and I used crankbaits bumped off of rocks. We pocketed a nice $200 cash for 2nd and big fish. Not bad for us. It was only my 5th time on the lake, and my partner's 1st time. I wanted to take pictures of our two best fish, but my digital camera's "new batteries" were dead out of the package. I managed a blurry, low resolution cell phone camera picture, but it doesn't do justice to the fish's size.

I got involved with the Team Trails organization, and somehow ended up helping with the NorthEast MS Winter Trail. I've enjoyed it, but it is a lot of extra work to direct a tournament, as well as try to fish. I never expected to be competitive in the tournaments, but the fish have changed my mind. The angler turnout has been low, usually only around 5 boats, but this is the first year for the winter trail. It has grown every tournament, and we are already scheduled to help in the 2009/10 winter season. The thing that impresses me the most is the fellowship among the people fishing. We've had a great group of anglers show up to fish. The results of the tournaments don't really do justice for the level of talent of those fishing. www.fishteamtrails.com

I know I sound like an advertisement for the group, but there is a lot that I like about fishing with this organization. Our next tournament is on January 31, 2009.
          David R.

Comment

I wanted to take pictures of our two best fish, but my digital camera's "new batteries" were dead out of the package.
            1214, here's one for ya
            Last edited by firecat1; 05-01-2009, 02:50 PM.

Comment

• Whew...

What happened?

Did I miss anything??

I logged into ebay and was looking at a few things Wednesday night, next thing I knew it was Saturday and my computer was begging for a break.

Comment

Whew...

What happened?

Did I miss anything??

I logged into ebay and was looking at a few things Wednesday night, next thing I knew it was Saturday and my computer was begging for a break.
                So, have you caught any sea kittens?

Comment

• I had one once but it got away.
                  GFD748 First in... Last out.. Everyone goes home.... Do the best job you can and do it safely

Comment

• Originally posted by firecat1 View Post
                    So, have you caught any sea kittens?
                    I will be going Saturday. Yep. Another tournament! I'll try my best to catch a few! Forecast low for Saturday morning, 24'F.

Comment

• OK, so the temp was only 27. It was a beautiful day for fishing. Dead shad were floating everywhere. Bummer. The cold water temps finally caused the dreaded winter shad kill that also causes fish to quit biting. Everybody opted out of fishing and we will try again in February. It was still a nice day on the water. I spent a few hours tuning some new crankbaits and trying some new stuff that I had accumulated over the holidays.
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by rhvfd1214; 02-01-2009, 11:29 AM.

Comment

OK, so the temp was only 27. It was a beautiful day for fishing. Dead shad were floating everywhere. Bummer. The cold water temps finally caused the dreaded winter shad kill that also causes fish to quit biting. Everybody opted out of fishing and we will try again in February. It was still a nice day on the water. I spent a few hours tuning some new crankbaits and trying some new stuff that I had accumulated over the holidays.
                        That looks like a cross between a platypus and a plastic cat toy.

Comment

• Do you feel hen-pecked?
                          Attached Files
                          If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Comment

• Well............

I just stopped in to see if the Thread still lives.....
                            Last edited by hwoods; 02-05-2009, 10:59 AM. Reason: Spelin wuz rong
                            In memory of

IACOJ Budget Analyst

www.gdvfd18.com

Comment

• Originally posted by hwoods View Post
                              I just stopped in to see f the Thread still lives.....

Baaahhh buummmp buummmmmp Baaaahhh buummmmp buummmmmp

Yep its still alive!
                              If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Comment

• Yeah............

Threads that go Bump in the Night............
                                In memory of

IACOJ Budget Analyst

www.gdvfd18.com

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X