• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RspctFrmCalgary
    Forum Member
    • May 2002

Originally posted by FlyingKiwi
    Must be rough on the Chihuahua.
    Or more likely he makes Nikki do all the work and then just hangs on for the ride!
    September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

Comment

• rhvfd1214
      Forum Member
      • Jan 2007

It'd be a good year to buy the dog a treadmill for Christmas..

Or some snow shoes for it's human..
      I fish for a living, but I have to work for money...

Comment

• firecat1
        Forum Member
        • Sep 2007

Originally posted by rhvfd1214
        It'd be a good year to buy the dog a treadmill for Christmas..

Or some snow shoes for it's human..
        We're going to get him a sled harness and one of those round plastic sled thingies and let him start training for the Iditarod.

Comment

• MalahatTwo7
          MembersZone Subscriber
          • Mar 2002

Originally posted by FlyingKiwi
          Must be rough on the Chihuahua.

YOU!

Tell him he's a Chihuahua.....

**Note: "Images in mirror are smaller than they appear...."
          Attached Files
          Last edited by MalahatTwo7; 12-24-2008, 03:50 PM.
          If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Comment

• rhvfd1214
            Forum Member
            • Jan 2007

There's the problem.. You have a sheperd/herding dog, but don't have any sheep. He must think that you are his sheep.

Comment

• MalahatTwo7
              MembersZone Subscriber
              • Mar 2002

There's the problem.. You have a sheperd/herding dog, but don't have any sheep. He must think that you are his sheep.
              There aint too many "sheep herding" dogs that weigh in at around 120 pounds. And if you called him a "herd dog", he'd look the other way. The only thing this Alaskan Malamute "herds" is his food bowl.
              If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

Comment

• rhvfd1214
                Forum Member
                • Jan 2007

Originally posted by MalahatTwo7
                There aint too many "sheep herding" dogs that weigh in at around 120 pounds. And if you called him a "herd dog", he'd look the other way. The only thing this Alaskan Malamute "herds" is his food bowl.
                Sounds like you need to talk to him about his identity crisis.

All dogs are pack animals, therefore they desire to be in a pack. As a pack, there are clear leaders, and clear followers. If you are not the leader, you are the sheep(follower). If he does as he pleases, then he thinks he's the leader of the pack, therefore he's trying to control his herd (pack). This is often why some dogs are so overbearing. They are trying to fill their role as leader, even if they are unequipped for the task. Much like the Chiefs in the Fire Service, an unequipped lead dog will often be easily distracted. Now the question is, have you trained him to your standards, or has he trained you to react to his commands? Does the dog bark and beg for food,(commanding you to feed him?) or Does the dog only eat when you allow it? A good trained dog will not touch any offered food until the leader of the pack has allowed it.

Judging by the size of the dog in the picture, I'd have to say that I'm probably going to let him be the leader..

(tucking tail between legs, and drooping my ears...)
                Attached Files
                Last edited by rhvfd1214; 12-26-2008, 10:22 AM.

Comment

• firecat1
                  Forum Member
                  • Sep 2007

Nikita is really a very well-behaved dog and knows who's boss. Those pix are him "sitting nice" while waiting for a special treat (with aspirin in it). He never tries to grab from or bite the hand feeding him and is actually just a complete dote. He's real good at reminding us what time it is tho...

Sounds like you need to talk to him about his identity crisis.

Judging by the size of the dog in the picture, I'd have to say that I'm probably going to let him be the leader..

(tucking tail between legs, and drooping my ears...)

Comment

• rhvfd1214
                    Forum Member
                    • Jan 2007

Why does the dog get aspirin?

I have a cat that hangs out around here that knows I'll feed it around 7a.m. Then, again, at 5:30 p.m. it's back for supper. On one particularly cold night in early Dec. he decided he would stay in the house with me. He was soundly asleep on the living room rug when I went to bed. Sometime around 2 a.m. I awoke to a very very warm bed. Much to my surprise, the cat had awoke in the night and decided to join me on my bed. This is a stray male cat that is very skiddish around people. I guess cold weather brings mammals together.. So far, he hasn't tried to "leave his mark" on the carpet or in the house. He has a VERY LOUD 'meow' that he bellows out when he wants out, which is normally after all the food is gone. I generally don't like cats, but I don't go out of my way to be mean to them either. It took months of leaving food out when I saw the cat to get him to trust me enough so that he wouldn't run off when he saw me. He does a good job of keeping squirrels away from the house and vehicles..
                    Attached Files

Comment

• firecat1
                      Forum Member
                      • Sep 2007

Because he's about 13 (even tho he thinks he's a puppy sometimes) and his joints just don't work so well any more.

That cat of yours sounds handy to have around the Pub to run off the squirrels that keep hiding the bar snax.
                      Last edited by firecat1; 01-01-2009, 07:52 AM.

Comment

• rhvfd1214
                        Forum Member
                        • Jan 2007

An aspirin is not too bad, but you haven't lived until you've helped the vet give a dog an enima...

Lesson: Don't let Dog eat animal bones.

Comment

• MalahatTwo7
                          MembersZone Subscriber
                          • Mar 2002

An aspirin is not too bad, but you haven't lived until you've helped the vet give a dog an enima...

Lesson: Don't let Dog eat animal bones.
                          Mostly speaking, I don't. Only the "dino-bones" I can get at PetCo or whatever derivative name they fall under. And it has to be the big bones, as he will chew the heck out of the smaller ones, till there ain't nuth'n left..... until he yakks his brains out for a few hours. As for table scraps etc, very little chance of him getting any of that, except maybe the odd tuna can scrapings or fish juice, but thats about it.

Comment

• FlyingKiwi
                            IACOJ BOD
                            • May 2002

Rick

Tip from an old Dog Handler.

Go see the Butcher and ask him for chopped lengths of cattle spine. They normaly throw them away so getting them is cheap.

Soft and hard bone combination with heaps of marrow will keep the puppy chomping for hours and help keep his teeth clean.

NEVER feed any dog cooked bones, they splinter with sharp edges that pierce the stomach and bowels, invariably causing either blockages or ulcers.
                            Psychiatrists state 1 in 4 people has a mental illness.
                            Look at three of your friends, if they are ok, your it.

Comment

• MalahatTwo7
                              MembersZone Subscriber
                              • Mar 2002

Thanks Ian, I'll look into that; there are about 1/2 dozen different butchers around the area. The dino-bones are smoked to cure them, but because they are the long bones of the bovine, he has not been able to chew them into oblivion, like he could with the smaller hocks. The vet has always commented on the good condition of his teeth, considering his age. They are usually surprised when I tell them how old he is - getting on to 13 now.

Comment

• hwoods
                                63 Years & Still Rolling
                                • Jun 2002

Uhh.........

Rick, What did he chew on after he left here? He didn't seem to be too interested in the Leftovers................. Glad he's happily pursuing Winter pastimes.......
                                Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
                                In memory of
                                Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
                                Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                                Working...