Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

Firehouse.com Forum Rules & Guidelines

Forum Rules & Guidelines

Not Permitted or Tolerated:
• Advertising and/or links of commercial, for-profit websites, products, and/or services is not permitted. If you have a need to advertise on Firehouse.com please contact [email protected]
• Fighting/arguing
• Cyber-bullying
• Swearing
• Name-calling and/or personal attacks
• Spamming
• Typing in all CAPS
• “l33t speak” - Substituting characters for letters in an effort to represent a word or phrase. (example: M*****ive)
• Distribution of another person’s personal information, regardless of whether or not said information is public knowledge and whether or not an individual has permission to post said personal information
• Piracy advocation of any kind
• Racist, sexual, hate type defamatory, religious, political, or sexual commentary.
• Multiple forum accounts

Forum Posting Guidelines:

Posts must be on-topic, non-disruptive and relevant to the firefighting community. Post only in a mature and responsible way that contributes to the discussion at hand. Posting relevant information, helpful suggestions and/or constructive criticism is a great way to contribute to the community.

Post in the correct forum and have clear titles for your threads.

Please post in English or provide a translation.

There are moderators and admins who handle these forums with care, do not resort to self-help, instead please utilize the reporting option. Be mature and responsible for yourself and your posts. If you are offended by another member utilize the reporting option. All reported posts will be addressed and dealt with as deemed appropriate by Firehouse.com staff.

Firehouse.com Moderation Process:
Effective immediately, the following moderation process will take effect. User(s) whose posts are determined by Firehouse.com staff to be in violation of any of the rules above will EARN the following reprimand(s) in the moderation process:
1. An initial warning will be issued.
2. A Final Warning will be issued if a user is found to be in violation a second time.
3. A 3-day suspension will be issued if the user continues to break the forum rules.
4. A 45-day suspension will be issued if the user is found to be a habitual rule breaker.
5. Habitual rule breakers that have exhausted all of the above will receive a permanent life-time ban that will be strictly enforced. Reinstatement will not be allowed – there is no appeal process.

Subsequent accounts created in an effort to side-step the rules and moderation process are subject to automatic removal without notice. Firehouse.com reserves the right to expedite the reprimand process for any users as it is deemed necessary. Any user in the moderation process may be required to review and agree to by email the terms and conditions listed above before their account is re-instated (except for those that are banned).

Firehouse.com reserves the right to edit and/or remove any post or member, at any time, for any reason without notice. Firehouse.com also reserves the right to warn, suspend, and/or ban, any member, at any time, for any reason.

Firehouse.com values the active participation we have in our forums. Please ensure your posts are tasteful and tactful. Thank you very much for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Thread killer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ya, we had snow here yesterday too. Forecast said "...up to 3 inches...." YA RIGHT! Was that 3 inches after 3pm or was that supposed to be 3 inches every 3 HOURS?????
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Comment

• I'm beginning to like this whole idea of winter bass tournaments! I caught one bass yesterday. The good news was that it weighed in at 4.35 pounds and was big enough to earn the "Lunker" trophy! I also caught a drum that was well over 7 lbs, but unfortunately, no bass-no weigh..

Blast-off time had morning low temperatures at a chilly 26* F instead of the forecasted 28. Icy reels make for cold fingers.. I'm sorry I missed the Global Warming Society meeting, I could have used a little global warming yesterday..
      I fish for a living, but I have to work for money...

Comment

• Originally posted by rhvfd1214 View Post
        I'm beginning to like this whole idea of winter bass tournaments! I caught one bass yesterday. The good news was that it weighed in at 4.35 pounds and was big enough to earn the "Lunker" trophy! I also caught a drum that was well over 7 lbs, but unfortunately, no bass-no weigh..

Blast-off time had morning low temperatures at a chilly 26* F instead of the forecasted 28. Icy reels make for cold fingers.. I'm sorry I missed the Global Warming Society meeting, I could have used a little global warming yesterday..

Congrats on the fishie and go to the Pub and get a little liquid warmth down yer gullet.

Comment

• I'm still stoked about the big fish trophy. Sure, it's a small piece of plastic, but it gave me a boost in confidence. I got wrangled into helping as a Director for this particular tournament trail, and fortunately we get to fish as well as host the club style tournaments. I am not familar with the lake, and much of the fishing is done in over 20 foot of water. Around where I live, the river that I normally fish has deeper water, but generally I stay somewhere between the bank and 10 foot deep in the backwaters and sloughs. For me to fish steep bluffs and rock walls in 20+ feet is like learning all over again. The cool thing was, the fish bit as hard at 25 foot as one does in 5 foot on my jig. When my heavy action flipping rod loaded up solid, I knew I was on to my kind of fishing!!! Sure, 50 lb braided line and a heavy action rod isn't par for the course on deeper, clear water lakes, but it worked for me! The biggest difference to get used to is instead of setting the hook, reeling about three times and swinging a fish in the boat, now I have to actually fight the fish up to the boat and be patient enough to not pull the hook out with too much pressure..

I think I've had too much coffee this morning..

Comment

• Where is the beer?
            Psychiatrists state 1 in 4 people has a mental illness.
            Look at three of your friends, if they are ok, your it.

Comment

• Originally posted by FlyingKiwi View Post
              Where is the beer?
              I thought it was your turn to supply?
              If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

Comment

• Some Tongue in Cheek Winter Humour:

LETTER TO THE EDITOR:

Get out of my way -- I'm driving my SUV in the snow

December 18, 2008 4:01 AM

It has been two years since we have had a decent amount of snow and the first since I bought my large four-wheel-drive SUV.

Now that I have a great SUV, I will be an amazing snow driver. Never mind that the average Victorian only averages a day of snow-driving practice a year, I will be able to drive the snowy streets of Victoria at full speed.

Yes, I will be that SUV that passes you in the unplowed lane, as you barely keep control of your own car.

Trust me, I am not in a hurry, just allowing everyone to admire my superior snow-driving skills.

If you slide into another lane, don't do it around me. I will be driving at normal speed, and will be not able to react fast enough.

Most likely I will hit you, and you will be at fault, because I have the great snow-driving SUV and you don't!

Check both ways before going through the green light. I will be going so fast I will not be able to stop as usual and will just plow right through the red.

For pedestrians walking on the street because no one shovelled the sidewalk, don't worry if you see me coming at full speed around the corner with my wheels spinning. I am a great snow driver!

No need to jump out of the way. I will not hit you! Someone else might, but not me!

Donnie Peterson

Victoria

© Copyright (c) The Victoria Times Colonist

Comment

• Originally posted by FlyingKiwi View Post
                  Where is the beer?
                  All I have is some Kentucky Bourbon and table wine. (French Colombard)

You want the bottle or a glass?

Comment

• Here you go, Rick ... just for you

Oh, and this was written BEFORE Round 3 (3rd storm in a week) started last night and continued today and is supposed to taper off (uh huh right) by morning. Funny thing though, the forecast is for snow flurries of one sort or another every day through Christmas.

Column: Our weather's pretty funny -- at least to the rest of Canada

By Jack KnoxDecember 21, 2008

It was no good. I couldn't go on. The snow was too deep, the ascent too high, the unrelenting, deafening gale sapping every last ounce of strength. Frostbitten fingers had long lost the ability to grip an ice axe.

As wind-driven ice crystals whipped my cheeks -- rock salt fired from the mountain gods' own shotgun -- I turned to my climbing companion, lifted his ear flap, shouted to be heard: "You go for the summit! I'll make my way down to base camp!"

"What do you mean summit?" the letter carrier replied. "I'm heading for your mailbox. We're only going up your driveway."

Yes, but it's a very steep driveway, or at least one with a slight incline, the kind of slope you never notice until it snows, which it never does in Victoria, except for every winter.

Oh, go ahead, rest of Canada, have a good laugh. Laugh at Vancouver Island brought to its knees by the kind of weather that Calgarians equate with the August long weekend. Laugh at Victoria, where the city's three-stage snowfall response plan consists of 1) demanding Stephen Harper do something, 2) calling out the grief counsellors and 3) pumping Prozac directly into the water supply.

For this, we accept, is the West Coast's role in the great national theatre: To provide a little winter solstice amusement, a bit of darkest-day relief, for our block-heatered and parka-bound compatriots.

We all have a stereotype to play in this production: Albertans are rednecks, Torontonians self-obsessed and Newfies fun-loving. Montrealers are hipper than you in either official language. Saskatchewanianites, or whatever, are salt of the earth.

Us? We're total wimps when it comes to winter, each floating flake sending us ducking and flinching like George Bush on a tour of the Florsheim factory. And lord but it makes the rest of the country feel good to watch us dig the Westfalia out of the ditch.

OK, we get it. Everybody likes to see the princess step in a cow pie. But please, did Mother Nature really have to chuck us headfirst into the barnyard? I mean, this week we've entertained the country with much more than our usual seasonal slapstick.

Not only did it snow, but it snowed and stayed. We normally deal with snow the same way we deal with a jealous spouse on the doorstep: Close the drapes and ignore it, eventually it will go away. Not this time. This time it not only stayed, but called in friends with baseball bats.

And that howling wind! Put the dog out to pee, it phoned half an hour later from Port Renfrew, asked for a ride home. The only good thing about the wind was not having to put up the Christmas lights this year. Just waited for the neighbours' display to blow over and plugged it in.

And cold? It has been -8 C, or -18 with the wind chill -- not that this impresses anyone who lives beyond Hope. The rest of Canada doesn't believe in wind chill. It's like saying a player stands six foot eight with his skates on, when he's really only six foot five.

You want wind? Try the Prairies. I used to live in Regina. Go to the west side of town, you could find Big Mac containers that had blown in from Edmonton. Go to the east, you could smell the stench of rotting principles wafting in from Ottawa. If we drag wind chill into the equation, Reginawanianites, or whatever, will just think we're soft as Charmin.

This is not true. For example, earthquakes don't faze us at all. This being B.C., half the people don't even notice when the house starts shaking, figure it's just the brown acid from Woodstock coming back to haunt them. We had one quake where a ceiling panel fell and busted in two over Judy Lavoie's head, right there in the Times Colonist newsroom. She was like George Chuvalo fighting Muhammad Ali: It buckled her knees, but she wouldn't go down, just kept plugging away on her story. Earthquake shmearthquake. I'd like to see a Regina Leader-Post reporter take a shot like that and still hit deadline. But I digress.

The point is that we all like a good joke, but enough is enough. This was not in the brochure. If Gordon Campbell wants to be re-elected in May, he had better darn well do something about the weather. And if Canada wants a good laugh, it should go back to watching Rick Mercer.

© Copyright (c) The Victoria Times Colonist
                    September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
                    IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
                    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

Comment

• Originally posted by RspctFrmCalgary View Post
                      snow flurries of one sort or another
                      Snow flurries these are? I'd really hate to see "heavy snow" then!

Originally posted by RspctFrmCalgary View Post
                      OK, we get it. Everybody likes to see the princess step in a cow pie. But please, did Mother Nature really have to chuck us headfirst into the barnyard?
                      Spending as much time as I did in TN, where cowpie-stepping princesses abound, that gave me a much needed laugh, Sheri, thanks!

Comment

• We got another 3 or 4 inches of the stuff last night. Getting mighty tired and bored with shovelling this damn stuff. The "romance" of it ran out about 5 minutes after the FIRST snow fall of the season. Wish I was back in Vic, at least I know that the snow will be gone in 3 or 4 days, and not likely to return once it does go. Sigh.... oh well.

Comment

• Hey Rick.

I found the beer.

Now I will just go get some more.

Comment

• Originally posted by MalahatTwo7 View Post
                            We got another 3 or 4 inches of the stuff last night. Getting mighty tired and bored with shovelling this damn stuff. The "romance" of it ran out about 5 minutes after the FIRST snow fall of the season. Wish I was back in Vic, at least I know that the snow will be gone in 3 or 4 days, and not likely to return once it does go. Sigh.... oh well.
                            Not this time.

It's already been hmmm 11 or 12 days since the first storm. We have between 1 and 3 or so feet depending on where you are on the island. My friend said they measured the snow at midnight Saturday night on top of the hot tub lid and there was 7 inches. It kept snowing (heavily) throughout the night and pretty much all day yesterday on top of that.

I was out slogging in it to get to Tillicum Mall and then back to Country Grocer's. Quite the experience LOL. The buses were running on some routes, but due to delays it took a few hours.

OMG there's the sun. I think they are backing off the original snow forecast for the rest of the week, now it's "snow or rain".

BC Ferries had to cancel the 8am sailing this morning because there wasn't enough crew.

I could go on and on. Parksville and Qualicum and Nanaimo and Port Alberni all got hit bad.

First White Chritsmas since 1996. Longest stretch with snow on the ground since hmmm I dunno 1940 something I believe.
                            Attached Files
                            September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
                            IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
                            Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

Comment

• Well, everytime I have to "break trail" I am walking through at least knee deep snow. AND IT SUCKS!!!! When walking the dog, I've encounted drifts that were almost waist deep............. and thats NOT counting what the snow plow has created!

Comment

• Must be rough on the Chihuahua.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X