No announcement yet.

Thread killer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Down here that would be called baiting, at best you would get a fair sized smack in th head.
    Psychiatrists state 1 in 4 people has a mental illness.
    Look at three of your friends, if they are ok, your it.

Comment

• Originally posted by hwoods View Post
      Let me run this by you............ If one has a good idea (Structure, Currents, etc) where Catfish SHOULD be, but wants a little extra boost, Is it a reasonable tactic to go out a day before fishing and take a few cans of Dog Food, poke some holes in the cans, and drop them upstream from the targeted area?

Several people have said this is great, others say it's marginal, at best. Your thoughts??

I just noticed - You made 300!! with 12 hours to spare........
      First and foremost, I wouldn't put the cans into the water. Metal objects can cause snags and break-offs. I also try to keep my garbage in the boat.

It is a common technique in some of the places I fish for locals to put bait out such as dog food. Key locations where structure is available to hold the fish will be productive with or without the bait, but adding the bait will also help concentrate baitfish into the area. The theory is if you can hold the baitfish to a concentrated spot, then the larger fish will follow the baitfish. The catfish will key in on both the dog food bait and the baitfish around it. I personally wouldn't put out a bait bag in a current situation, because the current can cause the scent and bait to be scattered long distances thus reducing the concentration. If there is a ditch or deeper hole that is out of the main current, try placing the dog food in either an onion bag or burlap style bag and adding a brick to weigh it down. Use a marker bouy of your own design to locate the bag and aid in casting to the target, or pick a nearby stump to tie the bag to. My experience with a bag attractor is that the food will seep through the bag and leave a scent trail for the fish. Also, with burlap, you will have some buildup of plant matter on the outside that will attract smaller baitfish. This is not always the honey-hole that people think it will be because the fish will still react to the weather patterns regardless of the amount of bait. It is just a way to concentrate the fish in an area to make them more accessable.

**Please note, I do not fish this way, and also there is a chance that the fish will not take the bait you are fishing with, instead waiting for more of the dog food. When talking about Catfish, I've also heard that Ivory soap will draw some bites as well. There are in fact several things that work according to legend, WD40 being one. My cousin uses homemade stink baits that involve deer blood, and anything else that has a strong odor. I personally stick to nightcrawlers, rooster livers, and commercial stink bait products. Of course, since I bought my Triton (July 2007), I haven't been catfishing. I can't bring myself to get the carpet slimy...
      I fish for a living, but I have to work for money...

Comment

• Ok.......

Thanks....... Ian, On this side of the pond, "Baiting" is looked upon As OK in some areas, unethical in some, but only illegal in a few States.

RH...... Where the heck did you get the idea to buy a Triton??
        Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
        In memory of
        Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
        Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Comment

RH...... Where the heck did you get the idea to buy a Triton??
          In all honesty, I wasn't looking at Triton's. It was one of those things where the opportunity presented itself and the price was right. Although the boat is somewhat older, 1998, it came with all the options that I was pricing on new boats, had been garage kept at all times except when fishing, and also was in the process of having a new powerhead installed on the Mercury outboard. The seller had bought a newer Triton. I was originally looking at a few Pro Crafts and Nitros, but the Triton offered more options for less. After a few trips in the Triton, I can say that the quality of the boat is exceptional. Plus, with the new powerhead, I got a one year warranty on the engine.

The guy I bought it from, in my opinion, is a local Pro. He is known for being able to catch bass in tournaments. He advised me that he had trained the boat to find fish, and it was ready to go. From Sept. through November, I fished a few club tournaments from the boat, and won a grand total of $581.00 including $360 in my first ever Classic win in the club that I started fishing in way back in 1999. (My first Bass Club.) I LOVE my TRITON!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by FlyingKiwi View Post
            Down here that would be called baiting, at best you would get a fair sized smack in th head.
            I guess you could compare the baiting to chumming (like in saltwater fishing.)

I know of one place where a fellow has several trot lines stretched out parallel along submerged logging roads leading out to the main barge channel. He chums the lines with dry dog food. I guess it works for him, because he catches a fair amount of catfish.

Comment

Funny you should mention that. Mrs. Harve has gotten a single Red Rose and a Box of Chocolates and a Card, every Valentine's Day for the past Thirty Three Years............... But then, the honeymoon is still going........
              You and Mrs. Harve have something rare and wonderful (as you already know ) and I wish the two of you a continued glorious future!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by rhvfd1214 View Post

I LOVE my TRITON!!!
                Ooooooooo!!!!! Nice toy!

p.s. Who'd wanna catch catfish anyway? YUCK!

Comment

• Chief Woods, I was wondering if you could ask your son about a few things concerning my TR19. As said before, it is a 1998 with a 175hp Mercury EFI. I have a six inch jackplate, and am turning a 26 pitch Mercury trophy prop. It seems to do great, but has some chine walk around 65mph. It is controllable, but aggrevating. My top speed with this prop is around 68-69 mph(GPS), and I was wondering what I could do to optimize the set up. I am thinking about going to a 8 or 10 inch jackplate and re-adjusting the height to help with the chine walk, but most boat related forums talk about using a 5-6 inch jackplate with a 25 pitch prop. I have a 25, but it doesn't perform as well overall, and turns the motor RPMS too high..

Now if that doesn't kill this thread, I'm out of ideas...

Comment

• Ok............

Copy That, I'll ask, but It'll take a bit to get back to you.
                    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
                    In memory of
                    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
                    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Comment

• He chums the lines with dry dog food. I guess it works for him, because he catches a fair amount of catfish
                      It would work better if he used target specific bait.

I suggest....
                      Attached Files
                      Psychiatrists state 1 in 4 people has a mental illness.
                      Look at three of your friends, if they are ok, your it.

Comment

• Originally posted by FlyingKiwi View Post
                        It would work better if he used target specific bait.

I suggest....
                        Hey Kiwi! No baiting for cats now (even nasty catfish)!

Comment

• Correction on the prop.. It is a 26 pitch Tempest II and the motor height is roughly around 4.25/4.50 inches above transom height as measured at the mount..

Now that should confuse almost anybody not familiar with boat setups.

Can you eat these? It put up a great fight. My cousin usually targets these with his bowfishing setup, but I cannot hit the broad side of a barn with a bow, so I have to use what I know..
                          Attached Files

Comment

• The New Boat Thread....???

Both props that I have for the boat are in great shape. I have some questions about the 26 Tempest, though. It has three holes in it at the front of the prop. I am guessing that they are for exhaust?? One of the holes has a plastic plug that reduces the size of the hole. Should the prop have plugs in all holes? I am not sure about the cavitation issue. I've also been playing with moving some of the weight around in the boat. Most folks say that if you are happy with it, leave it alone. I am happy with it, but it is in my nature to tinker with things. I guess it is time to dust off the credit card and order that new jackplate..(or two inch spacers for 8 inch setback) I know of one fellow who had great success swapping from a 4inch plate to a 10 inch plate on a mid-80's 17 foot Skeeter with a 150 Mariner. It went from a major chine walk (and almost kite-ing) to extremely smooth with just a little wiggle, everything else being equal..

Oh yeah,

Who likes Oreos?

Comment

• Originally posted by rhvfd1214 View Post
                              Oh yeah,

Who likes Oreos?
                              What's with you and Oreos?

Comment

• I like Oreo's!

Thread Killer Extraordinaire!

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250