½ tsp salt
    2 tsp ground ginger
    1 ¼ tsp ground cinnamon
    Pinch ground cloves
    1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
    1 large egg
    4 ounces 63% semi-sweet chocolate, melted

Ice cream (optional)

Position rack in center of oven and preheat to 350F. Butter bottom and sides of 9 x 13” baking pan.

In small saucepan, bring water to boil. Remove from heat and stir in molasses and baking soda. Set aside till lukewarm about 10 minutes.

Sift together flour, baking powder, salt, ginger, cinnamon and cloves.

In bowl, beat butter and sugar on medium-high speed about 2 minutes or till light and fluffy. With mixer running add egg and mix until combined, stopping to scrape down sides of bowl as necessary. On low speed, alternately add dry ingredients and molasses mixture.

Pour about 1/3 of batter into small bowl. Add chocolate and stir to combine.

Pour plain batter into baking pan. Evenly space about 6 heaping spoonfuls of chocolate batter on top of plain batter. Pull a skewer through batter to marble chocolate and plain batters.

Bake 30-35 minutes or till skewer inserted into center comes out clean. Allow to cool completely in pan.

Cut in squares and serve topped with ice cream if desired.

from my new cookbook by Scharffenberger (makes of fine high quality chocolates).

Comment

• i had satellite radio until the ex finaaly remebered to quite paying for it

I liked it, also if you have satellite tv you have the radio sations too. the music stations are commercial free but most of the talk stations have commercials.

HD radio is a different matter.
      if there's no firetrucks in heaven, i aint going

Comment

• This is the most awesome thread of all time.
        sigpic

Comment

• Superchef? Can I come live with you? LOL! Eating is one of my specialties! I cook pretty well, but I eat even better! And, if you're short, I'm good for getting things off high shelves!

Comment

• Ok, Superchef! You've inspired me! Off to make cookies with my little girl! LOL!

Comment

• Originally posted by rangercap View Post
              Superchef? Can I come live with you? LOL! Eating is one of my specialties! I cook pretty well, but I eat even better! And, if you're short, I'm good for getting things off high shelves!
              That works for me. I like to cook, I just someone who likes to eat.
              At 5'5" I can usually reach the top shelf if I stand on the bottom shelf.
              Last edited by superchef; 12-19-2006, 05:22 PM.

Comment

• My mother-in-law is a very tiny woman and sometimes she calls me to come over and get things down for her. And she just had her kitchen redone. During the design process, I mentioned maybe she should make her cabinets lower! LOL! And she didn't! LOL! My sister does the same thing. I'll be in her area and have to stop by her place and look at the list on the counter to get things done. The boy at our barn told me I was the tallest woman he had ever seen! I'm not that tall!

Comment

• "SERVITIUM NULLI SECUNDUS"

Oh So True!!

These changing times

Scenario: Jack pulls into school parking lot with rifle in gun rack.
                  1973 - Vice Principal comes over, takes a look at Jack's rifle, goes to his car and gets his to show Jack.
                  2006 - School goes into lockdown, FBI called, Jack hauled off to jail and never sees his truck or gun again. Counselors called in for traumatized students and teachers.

++++++++++++++++++++++

Scenario: Johnny and Mark get into a fist fight after school.
                  1973 - Crowd gathers. Mark wins. Johnny and Mark shake hands and end up best friends. Nobody goes to jail, nobody arrested, nobody expelled.
                  2006 - Police called, SWAT team arrives, arrests Johnny and Mark. Charge them with assault, both expelled even though Johnny started it.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Scenario: Jeffrey won't be still in class, disrupts other students.
                  1973 - Jeffrey sent to office and given a good paddling by Principal. Gets a second paddling when he gets home. Learns to sit still in class.
                  2006 - Jeffrey given huge doses of Ritalin. Becomes a zombie. School gets extra money from state because Jeffrey has a disability.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Scenario: Billy breaks a window in his father's car and his Dad gives him a whipping.
                  1973 - Billy is more careful next time, grows up normal, goes to college, and becomes a successful businessman.
                  2006 - Billy's Dad is arrested for child abuse. Billy removed to foster care and joins a gang. Billy's sister is told by state psychologist that she remembers being abused herself and their Dad goes to prison. Billy's mom has affair with psychologist.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Scenario: Mark gets a headache and takes some headache medicine to school.
                  1973 - Mark feels better by mid-morning and has a productive day at school. Keeps medicine in desk for future use.
                  2006 - Police called. Mark expelled from school for drug violations. Car searched for drugs and weapons.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++

Scenario: Mary turns up pregnant.
                  1973 - Five High School Boys leave town. Mary does her senior year at a special school for expectant mothers.
                  2006 - Middle School Counselor calls Planned Parenthood, who notifies the ACLU. Mary is driven to the next state over and gets an abortion without her parents' consent or knowledge. Mary given condoms and told to be more careful next time.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Scenario: Pedro fails high school English.
                  1973: Pedro goes to summer school, passes English, goes to college.
                  2006: Pedro's cause is taken up by state democratic party. Newspaper articles appear nationally explaining that teaching English as a requirement for graduation is racist. ACLU files class action lawsuit against state school system and Pedro's English teacher. English banned from core curriculum. Pedro given diploma anyway but ends up mowing lawns for a living because he can't speak English.

+++++++++++++++++++++

Scenario: Johnny takes apart leftover firecrackers from the 4th of July, puts them in a model airplane paint bottle, blows up a red ant bed.
                  1973 - Ants die.
                  2006 - BATF, Homeland Security, FBI called. Johnny charged with domestic terrorism, FBI investigates parents, siblings removed from home, computers confiscated, Johnny's Dad goes on a terror watch list and is never allowed to fly again.
                  If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Comment

• And nobody cares about Fred.

It is an OUTRAGE that should be fixed.

Who is Fred.
                    Psychiatrists state 1 in 4 people has a mental illness.
                    Look at three of your friends, if they are ok, your it.

Comment

• Originally posted by FlyingKiwi View Post
                      And nobody cares about Fred.

It is an OUTRAGE that should be fixed.

Who is Fred.
                      FRED! FRED! Who the (D)uck is Fred?

Can't remember who sings the song, but I "borrowed" from it anyhow - Sorry Alice.
                      If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Comment

• I'd like to add to the scenarios, if I may!

Holiday parties at school
                        1973: Lots of tree shaped cookies and Santa Claus cupcakes with the big guy trolling the hallways. Secret Santa exchanges.
                        2006: Christmas is discriminatory. Before vacation parties only. Also no Halloween, Thanksgiving, Valentine's, St. Patrick's, or Easter parties. And don't even think of sending in cupcakes on your kid's birthday!

Unruly kids.
                        1973: Little Tommy throws a desk across the room, hitting classmates and teacher. Gets paddling from principal and maybe goes to a special school.
                        2006: Little Tommy throws a desk across the room, hitting classmates and teacher. But it's okay because he's troubled. The kids are told to seek cover if he has a "rage moment"!

Rant warning!
                        Been dealing with both of these issues lately. The holiday parties, whatever. I told the principal it would make more sense to educate the children about different ways of celebrating through a pageant or something but she said that would be discriminatory. Huh?
                        My oldest daughter came home the other day and, as she was having a snack and changing into her stuff for riding, she's telling me this kid had a "rage moment" that day. They have the kids duck and cover. This is the same kid who threw a desk and hit my kid, two others, and the teacher last year. No cops called, no FD (even though a couple of the kids were dizzy and having a bit of nausea after being slammed in the head), because he's troubled. They only called me because my daughter was scared and wanted her mom. I went up and had to assess my own child! She had dizziness and a bit of nausea as did a little boy who is a family friend. I called his mom and she took him to the hospital while I took my daughter. Slight concussions, both! I informed the principal that's assault. All because he didn't want to do his seatwork! I told my daughter, when he has a "rage moment" to get out of the room! Go get the principal or something but get out. When I was in fourth grade, they couldn't paddle us, but my grandmother (who had custody of me at that time) certainly could! LOL!
                        I chalked it up to this kid being abused but, when I met his mother one day, it actually seems to be more of a case of laziness. Never could be bothered to teach the kid to control himself. He was born that way, she says. I know kids with a variety of disabilities they have had since birth. Seeing what they have to deal with every day, they have every right to be angry and violent. And they're not. Kids have to be taught right from wrong. If you don't teach them at two not to bite their friend because they are angry, they'll throw desks when they don't want to do their seatwork!

As for the other list, I know of three different women (ages 20-30) who graduated from the local high school, unable to read! I worked with them when they were learning to read so they could read a book to their children. I guess it was something I just took for granted. But they couldn't read to their kids. That's sad. And the reason the school district gave was some kids don't learn the same way as others. It's not the kids fault so why deny them graduation and a diploma? Because they can't flappin read!!! It broke my heart to see these women struggle with reading "Pat the Bunny" but they were so proud when they read the book all the way through. My job was to sit with them and help them out with sounding out words and giving them encouragement as they went along. It took a month of three time a week sessions for them to read that book! High school graduates! I think political correctness is great but it does go too far at times. It was a really rewarding thing when they sat down with their babies in a corner of the room and read them the book. It was wonderful. The program was really intended to show them they could learn to read. To give them the confidence to go on to the adult reading class. It's a great program and I feel bad sometimes that I don't have time to do it anymore.

Comment

• FRED

Fking
                          Rediculous
                          Electronic
                          Device

Portable game things, etc, any thing that people brainlessly use to waste a part of their life.

Thats a FRED.
                          Psychiatrists state 1 in 4 people has a mental illness.
                          Look at three of your friends, if they are ok, your it.

Comment

• Ok, lets' play. FART

Freaking
                            Austentacious
                            Radioactive
                            Toot

FART

See, its' easy, so everyone play along.

Comment

• Brunacini!!!
                              There; that ought to do it.
                              CR
                              Visit www.iacoj.com
                              Remember Bradley Golden (9/25/01)
                              RIP HOF Robert J. Compton(ENG6511)

Comment

• There; I think I killed this thread:
                                http://forums.firehouse.com/showthre...t=81932&page=7
                                Nothing since Nov. 6/06.

Oh and CR?

Cheeky
                                Rascal

we won't notice that I skipped Brunacini...
                                IACOJ
                                If you are willing to teach;
                                I am willing to learn.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse