Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

Firehouse.com Forum Rules & Guidelines

Forum Rules & Guidelines

Not Permitted or Tolerated:
• Advertising and/or links of commercial, for-profit websites, products, and/or services is not permitted. If you have a need to advertise on Firehouse.com please contact sales@firehouse.com
• Fighting/arguing
• Cyber-bullying
• Swearing
• Name-calling and/or personal attacks
• Spamming
• Typing in all CAPS
• “l33t speak” - Substituting characters for letters in an effort to represent a word or phrase. (example: M*****ive)
• Distribution of another person’s personal information, regardless of whether or not said information is public knowledge and whether or not an individual has permission to post said personal information
• Piracy advocation of any kind
• Racist, sexual, hate type defamatory, religious, political, or sexual commentary.
• Multiple forum accounts

Forum Posting Guidelines:

Posts must be on-topic, non-disruptive and relevant to the firefighting community. Post only in a mature and responsible way that contributes to the discussion at hand. Posting relevant information, helpful suggestions and/or constructive criticism is a great way to contribute to the community.

Post in the correct forum and have clear titles for your threads.

Please post in English or provide a translation.

There are moderators and admins who handle these forums with care, do not resort to self-help, instead please utilize the reporting option. Be mature and responsible for yourself and your posts. If you are offended by another member utilize the reporting option. All reported posts will be addressed and dealt with as deemed appropriate by Firehouse.com staff.

Firehouse.com Moderation Process:
Effective immediately, the following moderation process will take effect. User(s) whose posts are determined by Firehouse.com staff to be in violation of any of the rules above will EARN the following reprimand(s) in the moderation process:
1. An initial warning will be issued.
2. A Final Warning will be issued if a user is found to be in violation a second time.
3. A 3-day suspension will be issued if the user continues to break the forum rules.
4. A 45-day suspension will be issued if the user is found to be a habitual rule breaker.
5. Habitual rule breakers that have exhausted all of the above will receive a permanent life-time ban that will be strictly enforced. Reinstatement will not be allowed – there is no appeal process.

Subsequent accounts created in an effort to side-step the rules and moderation process are subject to automatic removal without notice. Firehouse.com reserves the right to expedite the reprimand process for any users as it is deemed necessary. Any user in the moderation process may be required to review and agree to by email the terms and conditions listed above before their account is re-instated (except for those that are banned).

Firehouse.com reserves the right to edit and/or remove any post or member, at any time, for any reason without notice. Firehouse.com also reserves the right to warn, suspend, and/or ban, any member, at any time, for any reason.

Firehouse.com values the active participation we have in our forums. Please ensure your posts are tasteful and tactful. Thank you very much for your cooperation.
See more
See less

The trusty pocket knife, who has one and what does it mean to you?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One Real Knife..........................

Sounds like Dozergirl is the "Class Act Knife" Award winner. Kershaw is certainly a class act in the Knife world. I carry a collection, with different blades assigned to specific "Riding Assignments" These are attached to whatever by a 98 cent "Carabiner" style clip. Here's the Rundown:
    1. All Turnout Coats (3) a $10 single blade rescue knife with a "Hook style" end on the blade. Does seatbelts extremely well.
    2. Lifejackets, (2) A simple 3" flip open straight blade in an Aluminum frame, also has a wrist cord attached. I NEVER go in the water on a job without a Blade.
    3. Rope Rescue Harness, (2) Same as on the Lifejackets, but adjusted so they are tighter to open. You don't want a blade opening accidently while on a loaded rope.
    4. On my Belt, station/bumming around wear. A Winchester version of the Leatherman style tool. Just a Basic tool for a basic job.
    5. On my Tech Rescue Gearbag Strap. A Maxim Tool, a Leatherman on Steriods, for whatever I might need on the spur of the moment.
    6. Dress Blues. A Ceremonial Samuari....... Just Kidding.
    Like several others, I don't have any tools with any fond memories attached, not because I don't care, but because I'd lose them on a job somewhere. Lord knows I've lost enough of them over the years.
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Comment

My favorite knife to carry on duty is a Buck double-blade Crosslock. It's rugged, the blade takes and holds an edge well, and the serrated blade will saw through just about anything. I prefer this setup over the "half-serrated" knives that are so common today.

My daily knife is normally a Swiss Army "Tinker" model (I like to have a regular and Phillips screwdriver available), but sometimes it's whichever one I put my hands on first when I reach in the drawer.

As for multi-tools, I have used the original Leatherman but prefer the Gerber Multi-Tool. I normally don't carry it on duty, though, because multi-tools are banned where I work .

In the pocket of my turnouts I carry a plain Craftsman lockback. I got it for free so no big loss if I lose it.

No sentimental value to any of these, really, although I'd be pretty upset if anything happened to the Buck. I would definitely have to get another one.

And of course, my knives are carried in my right pocket
      Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
      Paincourtville Volunteer Fire Department
      Paincourtville, LA

"I have a dream. It's not a big dream, it's just a little dream. My dream — and I hope you don't find this too crazy — is that I would like the people of this community to feel that if, God forbid, there were a fire, calling the fire department would actually be a wise thing to do. You can't have people, if their houses are burning down, saying, 'Whatever you do, don't call the fire department!' That would be bad."
      — C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

Comment

I carry a S&W SWAT folder that really has no sentimental value, Other than that one time I had to cut my way through the taliban on my ultra top secret stint with the CIA..Oh I mean I haven't broke or lost it since I got it..
        Ain't skeerd

Comment

I carry two. One is a Swiss Army knife I got from my parents when I was about 12, the other is an S&W gravity knife I got right after I graduated basic. Both knives have been on all three tours with me in Iraq. I keep both of 'em tied down to my gear or belt loop so I don't lose them.
          Standing at the edge of the gene pool, with a gallon of Chlorox...

Comment

Being right handed,in my right pocket,I carry a Victorinox brand"Camper" Swiss Army Knife bought as a replacement 11 years ago after a scrape with John Law left me knifeless and a lockblade"Firefighter"knife ordered by the Trustees from "Our Designs" to give to all members of my old department for Christmas two years ago.The previous Swiss Army Knife was given to me by my Uncle for Confirmation when I was 13.
            Both go with me everywhere and fulfill such tactical requirements as cutting open boxes,cutting line to length,whittling,sharpening pencils,opening bottles,skinning furry critters and laying on the dash of my truck to deter those that want to rummage through my cash bag.
            The SAK is the first one that I've owned with a corkscrew.An old friend and I used to joke about how I thought a dire emergency was to need a screwdriver and not have one while Earl's worst nightmare was needing to open a bottle of fine wine for a lady without a proper corkscrew.
            Like other,if I can't drive there,I'll take a bus and avoid having some petty TSA cop wannabe tell me I can't be trusted to travel with a sharp object.

For grins,I also have an M6 bayonet which mounts on the good old fashioned M14.
            Last edited by doughesson; 08-22-2006, 10:54 AM.

Comment

I carry a Microtech that my husband got for me. A buddy of his that he grew up with was working there at the time and designed it for me.

I also have one that his Grandfather gave him when he was a boy that he, in turn, gave to me as a gift.
              "When you throw dirt, you lose ground."

IACOJ

Comment

This is my current favourite one http://guuger.com/product/pocket-kni...-pocket-knife/ - I've had it for few years, use it almost every day, it's easy to carry around and easy opening
                And this is my dad's favourite http://www.cabelas.com/product/hunti...F104342580.uts - He has also had it for years and keeps talking about it, so I also recommend this poscket knife too but of course it's quite individual and each person likes different knives and features about it

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                Working...
                X