Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GeorgeWendtCFI
    replied
    Costumed lawmen bust a Pub's Halloween Spirit (Newark Star Ledger)

The Big Bad Wolf at one tavern's Halloween gathering really blew the house down when the partygoer turned out to be an undercover police officer.

Authorities say detectives in Halloween costumes crashed a party early Saturday at the Post Office Pub in Little Ferry, Bergen County, where police say regulars could buy cocaine almost as easily as they could order drinks.

Hours after the investigators infiltrated the bash at the pub, reinforcements moved in and arrested 18 people.

Those hauled off in handcuffs -- some of them in costume -- included bar owner Steven Vogel, 55, of Fair Lawn, and four of his employees, said Mike Mordaga, chief of detectives for the Bergen County Prosecutor's Office.

Authorities seized roughly 140 small plastic bags of cocaine, a small amount of marijuana, and some Ecstasy. They also seized about $11,000 in cash -- although Mordaga said the buyers may have paid through credit cards.

"It appears they would add a large tip to the tab, which may have been for the drugs," Mordaga said.

During the six-month investigation, Mordaga said, undercover officers bought cocaine inside the bar from Vogel and two other suspects, 42-year-old Joseph Mittemiller and employee Michael Norton, 52, both of Little Ferry.

The multiagency unit "thought that Halloween would be a perfect time" to make the busts, Mordaga said. So, hours before the raid, a group of officers donned Halloween costumes and attended the party.

Other officers went dressed as Little Red Riding Hood and the Grim Reaper.

Those arrested were charged with offenses ranging from distribution of cocaine to possession of marijuana. Some were charged with being under the influence of cocaine.
    Last edited by GeorgeWendtCFI; 11-03-2003, 08:57 AM.

Leave a comment:

• MalahatTwo7
    replied
    In the little Hick Town were I was born (not the one where I currently reside LOL), during the summer months at one of the main highway junctions, the cops actually post sandwich board signs on the road. The signs tell you straight out that there is a radar stop about 1/4 mile up the road. And yes, I have seen several cars waiting patiently to receive their personalized autograph from the nice RCMP officer.
    Last edited by MalahatTwo7; 10-31-2003, 10:41 AM.

Leave a comment:

• 12TruckIrons
    replied
    I saw a story on the news a while back about a cop in some town in Fl. who used numerous disguises to catch speeders. At one time he was up in a electric company bucket truck to appear like he was trimming trees around power lines. Another one he had was as a homeless guy sitting beside the road with a will work for food sign only his said something about he was a cop with a radar gun and he just got you. Do whatever it takes has always been one of my mottos.

Leave a comment:

• GeorgeWendtCFI
    replied
    Remember in another thread I talked about thinking outside the box? This is what I'm talking about.

Masquerading as FF to conduct a high-risk tactical op is wrong. Creative thinking for traffic enforcement and warrant service is great. If you don't want to be involved...pay your fines or don't speed. Simple enough.

Leave a comment:

• CaptainGonzo
    replied
    My family and I were headed to a vacation in Williamsburg, VA just after the state of Connecticut legalized the use of radar detectors.

I was driving down I-84 when my Passport went off like a banshee.

The only other vehicle in my line of sight about a mile or so up the road was a tractor mower. The signal faded... and then just over the rise were 5 Connecticut State Police units with a large contingent of cars pulled over. They hid the radar gun on the mower!

I snuck through.....

Leave a comment:

• Dalmatian90
    replied
    Webster, MA for all their dysfunctionality did run a cool sting like that -- you reported to a local banquet facility on their lake to claim a prize.

They brought in a dispatcher from out near Boston so the locals wouldn't recognize the guy "registering" them was actually running a final computer check to make sure the warrant was still outstanding.

In the next door, put in cuffs, and down to a pontoon boat. Pontoon boat hauled the prisoners to the police station so other winners arriving wouldn't get suspicious seeing cruisers leaving...

Leave a comment:

• GeorgeWendtCFI
    replied
    Re: Some Ain't so funny.........

Originally posted by hwoods
    Hope none of them pull the trick that Paul Newman used in "Fort Apache" - The cops set a trashcan on fire in a apartment building, pulled the alarm, and grabbed the crook when he ran out.....
    No. That one is over the top. I have, however, hung a suspect or two over the edge of the roof....

Leave a comment:

• hwoods
    replied
    Some Ain't so funny.........

Hope none of them pull the trick that Paul Newman used in "Fort Apache" - The cops set a trashcan on fire in a apartment building, pulled the alarm, and grabbed the crook when he ran out.....

Leave a comment:

• GeorgeWendtCFI
    replied
    Originally posted by firefighter26
    Why not just run a spot on the radio....

"Would the following crimi.... I mean contestants, come down the police station in the next 30 minutes to claim your grand prize..."

We've done similar things. It works every time.

Leave a comment:

• PFire23
    replied
    That's funny Ja, but really not so far fetched. If I'm remembering correctly there was a PD in the states somewhere that used a scheme just like that to nab delinquent speeders; those who hadn't paid tickets. I just can't remember where it was, maybe someone elses memory is better than mine.

Leave a comment:

• firefighter26
    replied
    Why not just run a spot on the radio....

"Would the following crimi.... I mean contestants, come down the police station in the next 30 minutes to claim your grand prize..."

Leave a comment:

• GeorgeWendtCFI
    replied
    Originally posted by flathead
    George, are you referring to the old Saturday Night Live skit? It would keep the court caledar clear. Yeah, I'm that old too
    Yup, that's it. Candygram!

Leave a comment:

• hwoods
    replied
    Try This......

Maryland State Police have been using a borrowed Cable TV bucket truck as a hiding place for a Trooper with a Radar Gun. They park on the side of the road, put the bucket up to a pole, and the cop with the Speedgun crouches in wait......... (Story in The Baltimore Sun newspaper) Stay Safe....

Leave a comment:

• flathead
    replied
    George, are you referring to the old Saturday Night Live skit? It would keep the court caledar clear. Yeah, I'm that old too

Leave a comment:

• MalahatTwo7
    replied
    Originally posted by tanker5117

DING DONG Avon calling

ROFLMAO!!!!!! That was just too priceless. And 26 has a pretty good thought line too.

Leave a comment:

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
Working...
X