Announcement

Collapse

Firehouse.com Forum Rules & Guidelines

Forum Rules & Guidelines

Not Permitted or Tolerated:
• Advertising and/or links of commercial, for-profit websites, products, and/or services is not permitted. If you have a need to advertise on Firehouse.com please contact sales@firehouse.com
• Fighting/arguing
• Cyber-bullying
• Swearing
• Name-calling and/or personal attacks
• Spamming
• Typing in all CAPS
• “l33t speak” - Substituting characters for letters in an effort to represent a word or phrase. (example: M*****ive)
• Distribution of another person’s personal information, regardless of whether or not said information is public knowledge and whether or not an individual has permission to post said personal information
• Piracy advocation of any kind
• Racist, sexual, hate type defamatory, religious, political, or sexual commentary.
• Multiple forum accounts

Forum Posting Guidelines:

Posts must be on-topic, non-disruptive and relevant to the firefighting community. Post only in a mature and responsible way that contributes to the discussion at hand. Posting relevant information, helpful suggestions and/or constructive criticism is a great way to contribute to the community.

Post in the correct forum and have clear titles for your threads.

Please post in English or provide a translation.

There are moderators and admins who handle these forums with care, do not resort to self-help, instead please utilize the reporting option. Be mature and responsible for yourself and your posts. If you are offended by another member utilize the reporting option. All reported posts will be addressed and dealt with as deemed appropriate by Firehouse.com staff.

Firehouse.com Moderation Process:
Effective immediately, the following moderation process will take effect. User(s) whose posts are determined by Firehouse.com staff to be in violation of any of the rules above will EARN the following reprimand(s) in the moderation process:
1. An initial warning will be issued.
2. A Final Warning will be issued if a user is found to be in violation a second time.
3. A 3-day suspension will be issued if the user continues to break the forum rules.
4. A 45-day suspension will be issued if the user is found to be a habitual rule breaker.
5. Habitual rule breakers that have exhausted all of the above will receive a permanent life-time ban that will be strictly enforced. Reinstatement will not be allowed – there is no appeal process.

Subsequent accounts created in an effort to side-step the rules and moderation process are subject to automatic removal without notice. Firehouse.com reserves the right to expedite the reprimand process for any users as it is deemed necessary. Any user in the moderation process may be required to review and agree to by email the terms and conditions listed above before their account is re-instated (except for those that are banned).

Firehouse.com reserves the right to edit and/or remove any post or member, at any time, for any reason without notice. Firehouse.com also reserves the right to warn, suspend, and/or ban, any member, at any time, for any reason.

Firehouse.com values the active participation we have in our forums. Please ensure your posts are tasteful and tactful. Thank you very much for your cooperation.
See more
See less

I Don't Make This Stuff Up, I Just Sorta Sniff It Out....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BULL321 View Post
    And who says money can't buy happiness?
    Are we spending your money here?

Comment

This has been hovering around in the news for a few days (weeks?) now, especially on the radio:

Jack Knox: In Iowa, you can be too hot for the office
      Jack Knox , Times Colonist January 6, 2013

US state court says bosses can fire workers who they consider an 'irresistible attraction'
      Ryan J. Foley, December 21, 2012

‘Don’t fire me because I’m too hot,” I told my boss. “That won’t be the reason,” he replied.

I tried to hide my relief. Never saw my movie star looks and smouldering sexuality as a workplace liability before, but this Iowa case has changed things.

Iowa’s supreme court has just ruled that it was OK for a dentist to fire his assistant of 10 years for no other reason than he found her an “irresistible attraction.”

To repeat: She hadn’t done anything wrong.

She hadn’t pilfered the petty cash. Hadn’t huffed the laughing gas.

Hadn’t even flirted with the boss who, being 20 years her senior, she saw as something of a father figure.

He, on the other hand, found himself having urges, said he was distracted when the 32-year-old woman wore tight clothing. (Note to self: get rid of shrunken flood pants lest editor be driven mad with desire. He’s straight, but best not to take chances.)

When the boss’s wife discovered he was exchanging text messages with his assistant, she urged him to fire the woman before friendship flamed into affair. After consulting with their pastor, the couple decided that for the sake of their relationship, the smart move would be to pay the assistant a month’s severance and send her packing.

Some people might argue that the onus should have been on the employer to restrain himself, but hey, maybe there’s something about the world of spit sinks and rubber dams that saddles its inhabitants with ineluctable impulses. When we watched Horrible Bosses, in which Jennifer Aniston played a sexually aggressive dentist who preys on a male assistant, we didn’t know it was a documentary.

Funnily enough, the Iowa assistant didn’t see the logic behind her dismissal. She sued for discrimination — and lost.

Even when the case was appealed, the all-male Iowa supreme court (state motto: don’t bump your pretty little head on that glass ceiling, honey) ruled that the firing, while unfair, wasn’t based on sexual discrimination but rather, the dentist’s desire to save his marriage (Iowa must have a Families First policy, too). The learned judges stopped short of actually awarding him a medal or naming a high school in his honour.

Predictably, this story has rocketed around the world.

This follows a rule that applies to all court stories: the more outrageous the decision, the bigger the headline. (This also applies to stories about scientific studies. The less likely the conclusion — red wine is good for you, exercise shortens your life, alcohol improves judgment — the more ink they get.)

The thing is, the Iowa court got a lot of support from legal experts. The complainant couldn’t claim sexual harassment because, ironically, the boss fired her before doing anything untoward. Nor was she discriminated against as a result of her race, religion or other status protected by law. Being “too hot” isn’t on the list.

On the contrary, conventional wisdom holds that beauty is a workplace advantage.

Last year, you might recall, Texas economics professor Daniel S. Hamermesh even argued that since unattractive people make less money than good-looking ones, ugliness should be treated as a disability worthy of legal protection.

The author of a book called Beauty Pays (don’t look at his dustjacket photo; he’s hideous), Hamermesh quantified his argument with a series of studies, including one showing that workers deemed to be in the bottom one-seventh in looks earn 10 to 15 per cent less than those in the top third.

Really, though, it’s not always easy for those of us who are, in the words of Derek Zoolander, “really, really, really ridiculously good-looking.” (Why, just last week I had to fend off an unwanted advance couched in water-cooler code: “Jack, can you hit deadline for once?” “Slow down, sweetheart,” I replied, “I’m a married man.”)

Now, at least in Iowa, we can be canned as a precaution, fired for firing up the boss even when we didn’t know we were holding the matches. It’s like your neighbour making you get rid of your car because he might be tempted to steal it. A law that allows that is a bad law.

“Don’t hate me because I’m beautiful,” I said in a smoky Rula Lenska voice.

“That ain’t it,” came the reply.

© Copyright (c)
      If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Comment

JUST REMEMBER: I am the Pipeline. NOT The Source

Target dubs its retailing plan for Zellers in Canada 'Project Bacon'

Glenda Luymes , The Province January 6, 2013

The plan was code-named Project Bacon, and as it sizzles toward completion next year, it is changing the Canadian retail landscape forever.

On storefronts across the country, the red bull’s eye will soon replace the red “Z.” Thousands of cashiers will lose their jobs. And the Canadian public will have a new place to shop for “cheap chic” goods.

Project Bacon is the tongue-in-cheek name given to U.S. retail giant Target’s plan to break into the Canadian market — one of several revelations contained in a recent B.C. Labour Relations Board decision that also details the fate and value of Zellers’ pharmacy files and prescription information about thousands of customers.

The LRB decision denies a union bid to have the collective agreement at the Zellers at Brentwood Mall in Burnaby — the only unionized Zellers in B.C. — to apply to employees at the new Target store eventually planned for the mall.

It is estimated about 27,000 Zellers employees across the country will lose their jobs as a result of the deal between Target and HBC, which will see about 125 Zellers stores closed and the space used for new Target stores.

In addition to considering the Brentwood collective agreement, the LRB decision outlines Target’s plan to establish itself north of the border, where executives believe consumers are “highly aware” of the store and its “perceived good value and shopping atmosphere.”

Target eventually purchased more than 180 Zellers leaseholds for about $1.8 billion, including Zellers’ pharmacy files that were valued at $10 million.

According to the LRB decision, Target later learned it could not legally hold the prescription information because it was not actually operating a pharmacy at the time.

The records were then sold back to Zellers, which resold the majority of them to Loblaws for $35 million, while the B.C. and Alberta records went to a “different entity, for an unknown amount.”

The LRB decision also sheds light on the perceived differences between Zellers and Target, citing an expert witness called by Target who visited six Zellers stores, five Target stores and two Walmarts.

Stephen Hoch concluded that while “Zellers’ stores typically were very crowded, had bad sight lines and the shelves were piled high with junk,” Target, among other things, had “sparkly clean floors,” according to the LRB decision.

“The classy design esthetic associated with Target does not exist at Zellers and never has existed," said Hoch's report.

“Given Zellers shabby experience, many more-affluent consumers are less likely to visit than will be the case with Target.”

The LRB decision sums up Hoch’s comments, saying that “while Zellers is cheap, it is not cheap chic like Target.”

Target Canada spokeswoman Lisa Gibson said she was not familiar with the name Project Bacon but confirmed the first B.C. Target stores will be opening this spring.

The company will hire about 150 to 200 staff per store, and while former Zellars employees are guaranteed an initial interview, “we need the flexibility to hire the best talent.”

Asked about the differences between Zellers and Target, Gibson said “Target stores are clean, clutter-free and easy to navigate,” and the majority of Canadian stores will include a Starbucks and Target pharmacy.

Outside the Brentwood Zellers Saturday, shoppers said they were concerned about the number of American-owned companies in Canada but that wouldn’t prevent them from shopping at Target.

“I’ll shop at Target for sure, but at the same time I worry about too many United States stores coming here,” said Tracy Pasztor. “But Target’s a nice store.”

Athena Boyd said she was disappointed with the selection at Zellers, especially for her needlework.

“It is sadly lacking here,” she said.

Walter Nikolychuk said he misses the Zellers pharmacy, which has already closed, but he’s found a new place to get prescriptions filled.

According to the Target Canada website, there will be more than 15 Target stores in B.C.

By 2014, Project Bacon will be realized with about 125 Target stores open across the country.

© Copyright (c)
        If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

Comment

Target here sells beer.

Comment

When zombies attack: Quebec public security ministry to prepare for scenario

Sidhartha Banerjee / The Canadian Press February 12, 2013

Participants at an annual symposium on civil security next week will be discussing, among other topics, how they would handle a zombie attack in the province.

The zombies, of course, are purely hypothetical.

But a department spokesman says the exercise has a serious purpose: the living dead-themed drill is meant to simulate a real-life catastrophic event.

"When we're talking about zombies, we're talking about a training concept," says Denis Landry, director of disaster recovery with the Quebec civil security department.

Hypothetical zombie attacks are becoming a popular emergency preparedness teaching tool. Even the Centers for Disease Control in the United States has used the tactic. It has a graphic novel on its website dubbed, "Preparedness 101: Zombie Pandemic."

The idea behind the exercise is that if you're ready to fend off the flesh-eating undead, then you're probably ready for any other disaster that may strike.

"Just about every U.S. state has adopted this type of exercise, whether it be workshops or simulations," Landry said.

"It's essentially designed to prepare authorities for any kind of disaster, right up to pandemics."

Last May, British Columbia conducted a similar exercise, offering tips on how to prepare for and fend off a fake zombie apocalypse.

The B.C. government said at the time that it hoped the exercise would generate awareness of social media tools that could help the public in real emergencies.

Last September, the U.S. Department of Homeland Security held a similar exercise as part of a campaign to encourage better preparation for genuine disasters and emergencies.

But don't expect any fake blood or face-paint at the event in Laval, near Montreal. Landry says there won't actually be a ghoulish dramatization.

The event will consist of several hundred first responders, civil-security experts, firemen and municipal officials who are taking part in the three-day symposium.

The zombie workshop will take place over those three days, and will deal with three different phases: the emergency itself, the aftermath, and the recovery.

The decisions taken one day will fold into the next, Landry explained.

Participants will deal with a number of issues as part of the scenario: infections, infrastructure damage, death, housing issues, work absences and the resulting drop in tourism.

Landry says Quebec has had its fair share of real-world disasters, but the zombie exercise will force officials to think outside the box.

"The idea is for them not to get caught in a scenario they already know — for example, the annual flooding in the Monteregie (south of Montreal) or the 1996 Saguenay floods or the 1998 ice storm," Landry said.

"People who are used to working in these situations should discuss what to do and the planning as opposed to the focusing on the event."

A zombie attack, as unlikely as it is, apparently fits the bill.

© Copyright 2013

PHOTOCREDIT:
            If zombies do eventually strike in Quebec, the province's public security department wants to be ready.Participants at an annual symposium on civil security next week will be discussing how to handle a zombie attack in the province, among other topics.

THE CANADIAN PRESS/Jonathan Hayward
            Attached Files

Comment

Puts a whole new meaning to J. Geils Band - Love Stinks!!!

http://www.watertechonline.com/artic...popular-demand

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

300x600 Forums Only

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Lower 970x90

Collapse