Complaints from across the street

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Complaints from across the street

This is a take off from another forum on fire phones and all call horns. Who else out there has had experence with people who move in across from the station and get wound up over noise? Heres our history:
    The people who lived in this house when I joined in 96 were only and occational problem for a while. Then after a couple of years they began to call any time we had a call or a training after 2100. They complained to the selectmen that were to loud and wrote us numerous nastygrams. We are a vollie dept so they would even complain aput the noise of us starting our cars after the call was done. They moved out and a new family moved in. From day one they made trouble. They even called the PD on us. They did not much like what the officer told them, but it did not slow them down. They moved out and the new people are thrilled to live accross from a "Real volunteer station" (city people) Are we alone or what?

Nope, not alone at all. We get the occasional phone call to complain when the siren goes off, usually during "silent hours" in the middle of the night. However, the siren has always been there since the station and the Department came into being, back before the days of pagers and cell phones.

We have discussed putting a lock out on the siren trip, so that it won't sound off after a certain time, but we have had problems in the past where the siren signalled, but no tone. Most times thats a glitch in the system and not a real page out. But there have been a couple of times where for some reason the repeater or transponder did not send the tone, but the siren went. We all mustered and it turned out to be real. We all live within 600 yrd of the station except 2 members, and they likely wouldn't hear the siren in the middle of the night. However, I live four doors down, I have no problem hearing it. The other reason for the siren is all the neighbourhood kids have been told many times, if they hear the siren, get off the road. Members will be driving to the stn, and then the trucks will be rolling.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Comment

Unfortunately, there are those members of the XYZ FD who feel that they have the God given right to crank the siren and blast the airhorn while going out of the station, even though it is the wee hours of the morning or there is no traffic coming from either direction.

Training that creates a lot of noise should be done prior to 21:00, not only is it common sense, but common courtesy.

People hanging around after drills and meetings can get loud, too without realizing it.

HAve you though about inviting them to join the FD?
      ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
      Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Comment

I know of a rural volunteer department that was across the street from a convent. They stopped using the siren when they went to radio pagers, and after a month, the nuns began complaining to re-institute the use of the siren...

Why? Becuase over the years, everytime the siren sounded, the Sisters would stop everything and begin praying for the responders and the victims.

They still use the sirens today.
        Resident Chaplain of the IACOJ

Comment

Originally posted by CaptainGonzo
          Unfortunately, there are those members of the XYZ FD who feel that they have the God given right to crank the siren and blast the airhorn while going out of the station, even though it is the wee hours of the morning or there is no traffic coming from either direction.

Training that creates a lot of noise should be done prior to 21:00, not only is it common sense, but common courtesy.

People hanging around after drills and meetings can get loud, too without realizing it.

HAve you though about inviting them to join the FD?
          True enough there, we always take care not to make anymore noise than necessary for the after hours calls. We have never had reason to blow horns in the trucks while pulling out of the station at any time. Although we have been known to be a bit boisterous after some of our drills and meetings.

Originally posted by IACOJRev
          I know of a rural volunteer department that was across the street from a convent. They stopped using the siren when they went to radio pagers, and after a month, the nuns began complaining to re-institute the use of the siren...

Why? Becuase over the years, everytime the siren sounded, the Sisters would stop everything and begin praying for the responders and the victims.

They still use the sirens today.
          That is pretty kull actually. It would also be a comfort to the responding crews too, in an odd sort of way, being the superstitious lot that we are. LOL
          If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Comment

Neat story, Rev. We all could use a little help now and then.

Our FD has went to phones and pagers only as far as alerting the FF's. Not too many complaints here, but we do try to keep as quiet as possible for the neighbor's sake.

Comment

I used to work for a private ambulance service that was based out of an old city firehouse. There was this mean, old, crotchety, bugger who owned a bulding next door and lived in one of the aprtments.

Mind you this road was tremendously busy and is a main artery into downtown and out to the neighboring city. Because of the way traffic was and the ever so polite drivers were, you would have to hit the siren. He would rant and rave like there was no tomorrow. No matter what ime of day it was, he had a problem using the siren, even teh police would get trouble for it.

When it used to be firehouse he'd rant and rave when the truck started up and went on calls. Then he'd call fire alarm or the police when we backed into the house because the backup alarm would beep. Just couldn't please the guy.

Most people really don't mind. But if you make a stink, righ tor worng, people are just going to do it much more frequently just to tick you off.
              "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

The borrower is slave to the lender. Proverbs 22:7 - Debt free since 10/5/2009.

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

www.daveramsey.com www.clarkhoward.com www.heritage.org

Comment

Some our our neighboring towns do siren "test" at noon, 6 PM and 10 PM. Its a "one cycle" (about 10 seconds) sounding. They get a few complaints about the noise but get a lot more if the test is a couple of minutes off or the siren is out of service.

The towns all dispatch by pager so the sirens are used only for confirmed fires and weather warnings.

The siren tests go back a lot of years and most people don't mind them.

I do not have a lot of sympathy for people who move in next to a fire department and then complain about the trucks, sirens, etc. I put them in the same group who buy homes off the end of an airport runway and then complain about the aircraft noise.

We try to be judicious about using the sirens at 2AM on deserted roads but out state law requires emergency vehicles to use the sirens when responding with the warning lights on. There are no exceptions. You could be found at least partially at fault if you collide with another vehicle and did not have the siren operating.

Comment

OK.........

I have no patience with these kind of people at all. Many years ago, when we were wayyy out in the country, there would be a complaint from someone who moved into the area without knowing about the siren. My father, the Chief at the time, would stop by and leave a membership application (The siren wakes you up? good, we need you!). Never seemed to get a second complaint from the same family. Although we don't use the siren any more, there are occasional complaints about one thing or another, and I treat them as my father would have, explain that we do what we do for good reason and here's the application. We've actually got a few good members that way. FYI, In Maryland, the state motor vehicle code REQUIRES us to be sounding an audible warning when responding. The biggest source of complaints today is not noise, but that we shut down the road when working an incident. My SOP is that NO traffic shall move thru an emergency scene. Period. The Safety of my people is not negotiable. You can go some other way, or wait, but while we work, you don't drive thru. (And the State Law lets me do that) Stay Safe....
                  Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
                  In memory of
                  Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
                  Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Comment

Harve, Glenn Dale is still WAAAAAYYYY out in the country!

We still blow our House Siren manually for first due Box alarms and House Assignments only. The switches are on the Support Beams that are between the Wagon and the Truck. The driver is supposed to hit it as he is going to the Piece. But the Career men won't wait, so they don't blow it. Alot of people who could easily respond from home do not do so because they are discouraged from it by the career men not waiting. Oh well, just more reason to keep guys in the station, ready to go all the time.

Be safe...and I maybe I will see you this evening when I come to the Taj Mahal on Rt. 193 for my Fit Test!
                    Proud Right-Wing Extremist since 1992

"Extreme Liberalism is a Mental Disorder"- Michael Savage

Comment

Jeeezzzzzz Chris..........

9,137 responses last year is STILL wayyy out in the country? Stay Safe....
                      Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
                      In memory of
                      Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
                      Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Comment

Same problem...

We've got the same issue. New neighbors who moved in across the intersection come to the station many, many times to complain. We tried the 'application' approach, the 'be nice' approach, the 'get out of our face' approach (after being called a few choice names first...I've never been the first to escalate, they do that themselves handily).

Finally, they went to the boro council to complain and get it turned off. They had 'examples' of trucks leaving before the horn went off (driver training), of our POVs arriving at the station before the horn went off (engineer's night, just stopping by to check the calendar). The public safety committee was supposed to 'look into it' but never put it on the agenda...our deputy chief took the time to survey every house in a 3 block area and his percentages (over 75%) told him that they wanted it on. A lot of people said they got used to it, but most said that they like the re-assurance factor that they know we're coming...

As for those homeowners: We think they're trying to take their frustrations out on us, since the real estate agent that sold them the house told them our station was a MUSEUM!!! Maybe a 1975 Seagrave Ladder, a 1977 Mack, a 1958/75 walk-in rescue might qualify as a museum to some!!! At least we have our new KME engine to stave off total museum status!!

-Devil
                        Once again....the above views are my own and not that of my department. (And probably should not be construed as having any real meaning, whatsoever!)

IACOJ

Comment

We have one of the county tornado sirens that goes off every Weds at 11am for a test and we still have people complain to us. We tell them, that is controlled at the EMA/Sheriffs office we don't control that.

We have a group of people that complain all the time. They complain that we make to much noise in the mourning we we do truck checks(at 9:00am). They complain about the moise fromthe Engine starting up in the middle of the night(its a 2003, much quiter than the 1984 it replaced). They complain about the lights coming in their bedroom window at night(sorry state law)an we don't turn on the siren to we get a little down the road. But my thought is how is it ok for the people down the road and not the ones across the street?
                          They all just like to complain, if they don't like it MOVE.
                          AKA: Mr. Whoo-Whoo

IAFF Local 3900

IACOJ-The Crusty Glow Worm

ENGINE 302 - The Fire Rats

F.A.N.T.A.M FOOLS FTM-PTB

Comment

We did ask all three families to join. The newest one, whom like us are considering it. The other two accused us of mocking their complaint. As for how we conduct our selves, we have strict rules about conduct in front of the station. If you want to be noisy at night, go inside and close the doors. We have a un-written rule about leaving povs running at night as well.

Comment

Love thy neighbor! YEAH RIGHT!

My brothers I feel for you all! Not only do we tend to put up with people's stupidity on scene, but now it's off scene as well. We could be at the station, the grocery store, the schools, etc. No matter where, there will always be someone mad about something.

I peronsally agree with the running on the quiet until you get closer to an intersection where you will intercept traffic. I also agree with the state's laws, which we are regulated to abide by. I however would leave this up to the OIC's discretion.

A solution my be to ask them why they moved to the area in the first place!!! I can guarantee you that the close fire protection was a major factor! However, as long as their are people, there will be complaints!

Take care and stay safe!
                              LREngine135
                              Firefighter/EMT-B

All things I say...while not always making sense are ALWAYS my opinion and only mine. They do not reflect the opinions of any department of which I am a member.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X