X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sox breaking the great curse???

o man, ya think it could happen?

GO RED SOX!
    I havent failed, I've found 10,000 ways that don't work.

- Thomas Edison

No funky it wont happen. All team's from Boston are destined to make it to the last few playoff games of thier respective series but will never clinch it.

Who is more foolish---the players and coachs that dont give dam and just want more$$$ or us the fans that keep on paying the $$$for nothing.
    I dont suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Comment

COWBOY UP!
      God Bless America!Remember all have given some, but some have given all.
      Google Is Your Friend™Helpful forum tip - a "must see" if you're new here
      Click this to search FH Forums!

Comment

GO RED SOX!
        Cowboy up! Reverse the Curse!

‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
        Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Comment

COWBOY UP, BABY!
          IACOJ Agitator
          Fightin' Da Man Since '78!

Comment

COWBOY UP, BABY!
            Member IACOJ & IACOJ EMS Bureau
            New England FOOL
            "LEATHER FOREVER"
            As always these are strictly my own opinions and views

Comment

Good friend of mine thinks that the Cubs winning their series and the Sox winning their series means that big things are in the works, cosmically speaking.

That being said, my doom-and-gloom side is in full swing tonight.

I predict a blown call in game 3 that alters the rest of the series for the worse.
              Last edited by CollegeBuff; 10-07-2003, 02:04 AM.

Comment

If there is a Cubs-Red Sox Wrold Series, start scanning the skies for the second coming of Jesus Christ.
                PROUD, HONORED AND HUMBLED RECIPIENT OF THE PURPLE HYDRANT AWARD - 10/2007.

Comment

They better be careful putting Williamson in with only a one run lead. He was notorious in Cincinnati for blown saves over the last few years under those circumstances. I guess they figured the 3 up, 3 down concept is too boring. If there was a way to lose a game, the Reds would find it.

Personally, I always thought he sucked as a "stopper". This was one of those trades that I wish could have gone to a team in Cincinnati's division.
                  Steve Gallagher
                  IACOJ BOT
                  ----------------------------
                  "I don't apologize for anything. When I make a mistake, I take the blame and go on from there." - Woody Hayes

Comment

Hey, Boston has a good record against the Cubs in the World Series...
                    IACOJ Canine Officer
                    20/50

Comment

uuuhhhh....

Don't they have to go through the Yankees first?

Uh oh.....
                      "When you are safe at home, you wish you were having an adventure-when you're having an adventure, you wish you were safe at home"

--Thornton Wilder

Comment

I hope it is Red Sox vs Cubs. Good things happened last time.
                        IACOJ Agitator
                        Fightin' Da Man Since '78!

Comment

Cowboy up! GO RED SOX!
                          "Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgement that something else is more important than fear" - Ambrose Redmoon
                          “It’s like Lego’s for firefighters.” Robert James III talking about hose appliances.
                          "Police, Firefighters and EMS are the most collectively dysfunctional group of people in existence and only we understand each other!"

Comment

Originally posted by GeorgeWendtCFI
                            If there is a Cubs-Red Sox Wrold Series, start scanning the skies for the second coming of Jesus Christ.
                            lol
                            God Bless America!Remember all have given some, but some have given all.
                            Google Is Your Friend™Helpful forum tip - a "must see" if you're new here
                            Click this to search FH Forums!

Comment

So I was surfing through ESPN.com last night and lookee what I found:

Game 6: Mets 6, Red Sox 5
                              At Shea Stadium, Saturday, Oct. 25, 1986
                              Twenty-nine outs from the out that never came, things were going well for the Boston Red Sox. The Boston offense plated the first run of the game in the first, added another in the second and watched as Roger Clemens dominated the Mets. The Rocket struck out six batters in the first three innings and kept the Mets scoreless through four.

New York finally broke through in the fifth, as Ray Knight knocked an RBI single and later scored on a double play. But the tie wouldn't last long. In the seventh, Knight fields a Jim Rice grounder at third but muffed the throw, letting it sail high and off the glove of Keith Hernandez. Rice was safe at first; Marty Barrett advanced to third. Dwight Evans followed with a groundball and Barrett broke for home, giving the Sox a 3-2 advantage.

Boston manager John McNamara lifted Clemens, who had torn a blister and a fingernail on his pitching hand, for a pinch hitter after the seventh. Mike Greenwell struck out in his place with a runner on second and one out, but a pair of walks loaded the bases. In the Red Sox dugout, McNamara told the right-handed Don Baylor he would bat in Bill Buckner's place if the Mets called on lefty Jesse Orosco. Baylor grabbed a bat and took swings in the clubhouse. When he re-emerged, Orosco was on the hill and Buckner was on his way to the plate; McNamara had changed his mind. Buckner saw one pitch. He lofted it into center field for an easy out. Baylor, the designated hitter, took a seat next to Dave Stapleton, Boston's usual late-inning defensive replacement for the veteran Buckner, and the Red Sox took the field for the bottom of the eighth.

The Mets tied the game in the eighth off Calvin Schiraldi. Gary Carter lofts a fly ball to center to score Lee Mazzilli on a sacrifice, knotting the game at 3.

For half an inning, Dave Henderson might have been the biggest sports figure in Boston history. Henderson drove Aguilera's second pitch of the 10th inning deep into left field and over the fence at Shea Stadium, giving the Red Sox the lead and putting Boston just three outs from a World Series title. Four batters later, Wade Boggs scored on a Marty Barrett single, but it didn't seem to matter, it was Hendu's smile and Hendu's drive that had broken the curse. The Red Sox led 5-3.

Stapleton still sat on the bench.

Flyball outs by Wally Backman and Keith Hernandez put the Red Sox within an out of the elusive World Series championship.

It was an out they'd never see.

Gary Carter started the rally with a soft-liner for a single. Kevin Mitchell, who had to hurriedly re-dress after thinking the game was lost, followed with a single into center. Still on the mound, Calvin Schiraldi works Ray Knight to an 0-2 count, but Knight fought off a pitch on the inside corner of the plate to drive in Carter.

With the winning run on first, McNamara brought in Bob Stanley, who had saved a team-high 16 games in the regular season. Stanley worked Mookie Wilson down to his last strike. Seven pitches in, Stanley lost control. The Red Sox reliever fired a wild pitch past catcher Rich Gedman and Mitchell raced home to tie the score.

With the score now tied, Wilson continued to battle with Stanley, fouling back the eighth and ninth pitches. Finally on the 10th pitch of the at-bat, Wilson grounded weakly toward first base. The ball started rolling just a few feet into the infield, but it rolled between Buckner's legs and kept rolling into not just baseball lore but national metaphor. Ray Knight raced around third and touched home, his hands plastered to his helmet in disbelief -- the Mets lived to play another day.

Boston ab r h rbi NY Mets ab r h rbi
                              Boggs 3b 5 2 3 0 Dykstra cf 4 0 0 0
                              Barrett 2b 4 1 3 2 Backman 2b 4 0 1 0
                              Buckner 1b 5 0 0 0 Hernandez 1b 4 0 1 0
                              Rice lf 5 0 0 0 Carter c 4 1 1 1
                              Evans rf 4 0 1 2 Strawberry rf 2 1 0 0
                              Gedman c 5 0 1 0 Aguilera p 0 0 0 0
                              Henderson cf 5 1 2 1 Mitchell ph 1 1 1 0
                              Owen ss 4 1 3 0 Knight 3b 4 2 2 2
                              Clemens p 3 0 0 0 Wilson lf 5 0 1 0
                              Greenwell ph 1 0 0 0 Santana ss 1 0 0 0
                              Schiraldi p 1 0 0 0 Heep ph 1 0 0 0
                              Stanley p 0 0 0 0 Elster ss 1 0 0 0
                              Johnson ph-ss 1 0 0 0
                              Ojeda p 2 0 0 0
                              McDowell p 0 0 0 0
                              Orosco p 0 0 0 0
                              Mazzilli ph-rf 2 1 1 0

TOTALS 42 5 13 5 TOTALS 36 6 8 3

Boston 110 000 100 2 -- 5 13 3
                              NY Mets 000 020 010 3 -- 6 8 2
                              E-Buckner, Evans, Gedman, Knight, Elster.
                              DP-Boston 1, New York 1. 2B-Evans, Boggs.
                              HR-Henderson (2). SB-Strawberry-2 (3). S-Owen,
                              Dykstra, Backman. SF-Carter.
                              Time-4:02. Att.-55,078.
                              BOSTON ip h r er bb k
                              Clemens 7.0 4 2 1 2 8
                              Schiraldi L, 0-1 2.2 4 4 3 2 1
                              Stanley 0.0 0 0 0 0 0
                              NY METS ip h r er bb k
                              Ojeda 6.0 8 2 2 2 3
                              McDowell 1.2 2 1 0 3 1
                              Orosco 0.1 0 0 0 0 0
                              Aguilera W, 1-0 2.0 3 2 2 0 3
                              Umpires - Ford (HP), Kibler (1B), Evans (2B),
                              Wendelstedt (3B), Brinkman (LF), Montague (RF).
                              =============================================

Memories, like the corners of my mind.
                              Misty, watercolor memerories
                              Of the way we were.
                              PROUD, HONORED AND HUMBLED RECIPIENT OF THE PURPLE HYDRANT AWARD - 10/2007.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X