Eating Crow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mikey,

The Tiggers, uh I mean Tigers are going into the history books this year. To bad it has to be for the worst win/lose record in the history of Baseball.

MINNEAPOLIS -- Hold on, folks, only a week to go. Plenty of time for history to be made, however.

The question has been whether the Tigers will break the modern record of 120 losses. Now it should be by how much they'll flat-out shatter it.

With a 6-4 loss to the Minnesota Twins on Sunday, their ninth consecutive defeat and the 15th in their last 16 games, the Tigers tied the American League record for losses.

They and the 1916 Philadelphia A's are the only American League teams ever to lose 117 games. If it's any consolation to Alan Trammell, Connie Mack continued to manage that team for another 34 years.

Then again, Mack owned the team. That's one way of guaranteeing job security. Look at Mike Ilitch, nobody can fire him -- despite this mess.

In any case, yes, the Tigers lost again -- for the 23rd time in their last 24 games against the Twins. Lists like that have become a cottage industry, though. For instance, the Tigers also have lost 27 consecutive games when the attendance is at least 30,000.

They really are a remarkable team. They simply keep losing. And now with seven games remaining, they are only three defeats away from tying the 1962 Mets.

Tragic number

The Tigers must win five of their final seven games to avoid matching the 1962 Mets' 120 losses. Here's how the 2003 Tigers compare after 155 games.

1962 Mets: 38-116-1

2003 Tigers: 38-117
    Last edited by FireLt1951; 09-22-2003, 05:11 PM.

Comment

Hey Lt,
      For a guy from Michigan you sure are hard on our home teams, hell I remember when the Tigers won the World Series. I was 9 years old, I'm only 45 now, wasn't that long ago! What do you want, a record is a record!!
      Vintage Firefighter:
      "The older I get the braver I was!"

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
      Working...