Thanks for your .02 cents...J/K...
    Bruce Baker

Medic Student, EMT-I, EMT-I instructor, Haz-Mat FRO

Fraternal Order Of Paramedics Society Member

R.I.P. 343, 9/11/01, God Bless America.
    "ALWAYS REMEMBER, NEVER FORGET!"

Comment

Cheffie,

The french toast you made the guys for breakfast yesterday, sounded so good, I had my mom make some for me. She says thanks...
      Last edited by brubaker; 10-08-2003, 07:48 PM.
      Bruce Baker

Medic Student, EMT-I, EMT-I instructor, Haz-Mat FRO

Fraternal Order Of Paramedics Society Member

R.I.P. 343, 9/11/01, God Bless America.
      "ALWAYS REMEMBER, NEVER FORGET!"

Comment

Reading through this thread has of course made me hungry. So I have to ask, Cheffie:

What would you serve to a starving Canadian who just arrived from the Great White North.... toque and dogsled tresses in hand? (actually it would be more like rain slicker and so'wester considering the weather up here right now, but who's counting right?) LOL
        If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Comment

Another Canuck request, seeing as how this weekend is our Thanksgiving maybe you have a good Turkey recipe you could lay on us?

Comment

Brubaker Anytime. Although I think you should have made breakfast for your mom.

manofire
            Here are a couple of ideas for you:

Turkey
            2 tbsp unsalted butter, room temperature
            1 tbsp dried tarragon
            1 tbsp dried marjoram
            1 tbsp mustard seeds, coarsely chopped
            2 tsp coarse salt
            1/2 tsp ground pepper
            1 large orange, quartered
            1 12-14 lb turkey

1 onion peeled and quartered
            1 head garlic, unpeeled, cut in half horizontally
            2 celery stalks, cut into 2" pieces
            3 fresh thyme sprigs
            2 fresh sage sprigs
            1 cup fresh orange juice
            1 tbsp dijon mustard
            5 cups chicken stock (or low salt chicken broth)

Mix first 6 ingredients in samll bowl. Rinse turkey inside and out and pat dry. Place on rack set in large roasting pan. Rub inside cavity with orange quarters( reserve quarters). sprinkle with salt and pepper. Rub herb butter over outside of turkey. Set rack at lowest position in oven and preheat to 350F.

Fill main cavity with orange quarters, onion, garlic, celery, herbs. Mix orange juice and dijon mustard in small bowl. Pour around turkey in pan. Place turkey in oven with tail toward back. Roast 45 minutes. Add 2 cups broth to pan, baste turkey. Turn pan around. Roast 45 minutes. Add 1 cup broth and baste turkey with pan juices. Turn pan around and cover tureky loosely with foil. Contine to roast intil thermometer inserted into thickest part of thigh registers 175F, basting with 1 cup broth and rotating every 45 minutes. about 1 hour and 45 minites longer. Transfer turkey to platter, let stand 30 minutes (internal temperature will increase 5 to 10 degrees).

Gravy
            4 1/2 tbsp unsalted butter
            3/4 cup minced onion
            3 tbsp all purpose flour
            1 large Gala apple, peeled, cut into 1/4" cubes
            1 1/2 cups whole milk
            1 cup chicken stock
            3/4 cup apple cider
            2 small bay leaves, torn into pieces
            1 tbsp dijon mustard
            1 1/2 tsp mustard seeds crushed
            1 1/2 tsp chopped fresh sage

Strain pan juices into 8 cup measureing cup. Spoon off fat. Melt butter in large saucepan over medium high heat. Add onion, saute 3 minutes. Add flour and stir until golden, about 5 minutes, Whisk in apple and all reamining ingredients., tehn pan juices. Bring to boil and reduce heat to medium until gravy thickens, whisking occasionally about 10 minutes. season with salt and pepper.

***another idea***run fingers under skin to loosen it from breast meat. Rub herb butter over meat under skin and also over outside of turkey on skin before roasting if you do not want to add all the other extras.

***Now as for that starving Canuck...seeing as how it is your Thanksgiving.. I guess I will be feeding you a proper turkey feast and if you are a good boy, dessert.

Happy Thanksgiving to all those up there in the Great White North. Behave yourselves (that means eat, drink and be merry!)
            Last edited by superchef; 10-09-2003, 01:13 AM.

Comment

i'm reading this during computer class and wishing it was lunch. mmmmm... school food.

cheffie- send me some food for lunch cuz this school stuff just isnt cutting it.

brubaker- no prob. any time
              Jaime
              No longer an explorer-
              Currently Keene State College Class of 2008
              KEENE STATE RUGBY #5!!!
              I shed blood for my ruggers.
              <forever ruggers, forever sisters>
              www.kscwrfc.org

All gave some, some gave all. Gone but not forgotten. 9/11/01

Comment

Cheffie, the turkey sounds awesome, but I am more of a duck fan. What things have you up your sleeve for roast duck? Something that a "Live Alone Rat" can do for himself and remembering the toque and dog tresses.
                If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Comment

Will you deliver?

Comment

Sooooooo hungry.....no more MRE's.....need Cheffie to come to Iraq....

*gets on knees and grovels at cheffies feet* ooh please....please please....
                    "At one point we decided to fight fire with fire, basically your house just burned faster."

Recipient of the IACOJ Service Award 2003.

Comment

Maybe this year Thanksgiving is at Cheffie's! How big of a turkey do we need for 90,000 firefighters?!? I can bring dinner rolls.
                      ~Kevin
                      Firefighter/Paramedic
                      --^v--^v--^v--^v--
                      Of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong
                      Dennis Miller

Comment

what came in the mail today?

*gets on knees and grovels at cheffies feet* ooh please....please please....
                        Matt, my friend, I wish I could come make all of you a real Thanksgiving dinner. Serving our country, being away from your families, you certainly deserve it. I hope my virtual meals at least bring a smile to your face.

Kevin- 90,000 firefighters for Thanksgiving? A Cheffie dream come true (stop by and pick up the guys in Irag on the way).

hugs to all of you.

ps. For every Fire Science course I complete, I get my certificate from the NFA. I received my first one for the first course I took. I'm sorry I am so excited to have it, I had to share (and all of you helped so thanks.)

Comment

A blushing smiley! Thanks webteam!

Herb and Garlic Roasted Cornish Game Hens
                          Rubbed with a garlic, lemon, thyme. red pepper and rosemary butter, then roasted till golden brown...

Pan Roasted Baby Potatoes
                          Baby red, yellow and purple potatoes, pan roasted and tossed with a dijon dressing...

Balsamic Glazed Roasted Vegetables
                          Red and orange bell peppers, baby carrots, sweet red onions, cherry tomatoes, tossed with a balsamic-herb glaze and oven roasted...

Bourbon-Orange Pecan Pie served with Bourbon Whipped Cream

I have to test this one out now..

Comment

Cheffie!! I have sooooooo missed your cookin'!!
                            May we never forget our fallen, worldwide.

I.A.C.O.J. Safety/Traffic Control Officer

E6511

"Who's Who Among American Teachers" - 2005, 2006 Honoree

Comment

Cheffie,
                              Congrats on your first NFA certificate!

I have a food question for you. A place near me has a steak meal that has a reduced balsamic vinegar sauce. It's a delicious sauce, that I have tried to replicate in my own kitchen with some bad results. I have tried the cheap stuff as well as the more expensive stuff. I would ask the place, but they are a little funny about sharing there recipe's...Would you have any suggestions? There doesn't seem to be anything else to it other than the vinegar.
                              ftm-ptb
                              leather forever
                              gateway fools

Comment

balsamic reductions 101

not quite as exciting as bondage 101 but then again, if you cook her a fantastic meal..who knows it may lead to 27's thread.

Here are some of the basics ;
                                When you are sauteing the meat, chose a pan that will just fit the meat without cramping it. Too much surface areaa will result in burned juices and too little will prevent juices from caramelizing. Saute or roast the meat first (also don't use a nonstick pan as you will not get those browned bits you need for your sauce.). Once the meat is done, remove it and keep it warm. Remove any excess fat. Add 2 minced shallots and cook over medium heat till they soften (about 1-2 minutes). Deglaze by adding the balsamic vinegar, about 1/3 to 1/2 cup (enough to cover bottom of pan. As liquid simmers, scrape bottom of pan with wooden spoon and stir to disolve the caramelized juices. Simmer until the liquid is reduced by one half. If you want a more intense layer of flavor, once it has reduced, add some stock (low sodium) and reduce again. For the best flavors, reduce liquids at a steady simmer so that some of the sauce spatters on the sides of pan where it can caramelize. Season with salt and pepper.

As for the type of vinegar, a good quality aged (7-10 years) is what I like to use. One I found I like is Aceto Balsamico Di Moderna It works well in salad dressings too. I try to avoid the cheap store brands as they tend to not be real balsamic vinegar.

Here is one more but I do not know if you can get it everywhere but it is so good.

Grand reserve Balsamic Vinegar The brand is Napa Valley Naturals, cherry wood aged for 18 years (for $9 for a bottle, at least that is what I paid for it.)

Hope this helps.
                                Last edited by superchef; 10-20-2003, 11:36 PM.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X