No announcement yet.

Wetdown fun?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

my only question is, if this all started from a water fight, how did a fire jacket get burned?
    Smoke grenade thrown into the cab of the engine.
    PROUD, HONORED AND HUMBLED RECIPIENT OF THE PURPLE HYDRANT AWARD - 10/2007.

Comment

George,
      How do you know all this ? or are you just BS ing us ?
      IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
      Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
      ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
      RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
      LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
      I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
      "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
      http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Comment

Originally posted by Weruj1
        George,
        How do you know all this ? or are you just BS ing us ?
        Do your homework, dude.

Comment

Now I'm really confused...

Smoke grenade thrown into the cab of the engine
          George, since you called it a smoke grenade, I'm assuming we aren't talking about a simple little crabapple sized fireworks bomb. Did it damage the truck? It got hot enough to burn a turnout coat, to me that sounds like more than enough heat to melt wiring and ignite vehicle seats. Even if it didn't cause any obvious damage, the heat, smoke, water, and foam exposure means you can certainly say bye-bye warranty if the truck involved was the new one.

Did the guys with the 200 gallons of foam know about the smoke grenade? They may have simply been trying to suppress what they thought was (and may have been) a real fire.

This doesn't sound like simple horseplay that got out of control. My department is far, far, far from being a model of discipline and good behavior but I guarantee you that if anyone threw a smoke grenade in one of our vehicles there would be no discussion about their future with the department. It is amazing that the members didn't see any need to discipline those involved. How do you justify any request for support or funding when you allow your members to wantonly damage and destroy equipment without facing the consequences.

I say "bravo" to the commissioners that had the courage to do the right thing.

George, you're killin' me with these little tidbits of information . I tried to "do my homework" but I came up with two answers. My first choice made me think I could read the full story in the court transcripts, but then I visited Mapquest and came up with another possibility.

I can't get over the thought that someone would trash their equipment in the name 'fun' and get away with it. Then again, maybe I'm just nosy but I sure would like to know what happened that isn't in the news story and what these folks were thinking. If you can post it, would you fill in the blanks?

Comment

1. Smoke grenade landed in the jacket and started a fire that was extinguished early. The only damage to the vehicle was a slight burn on the seat and a smoke stained window.

2. These were two different pieces of apparatus.

3. The whole story has not come out yet. It is contained solely in police reports and fire chief's letters.

Comment

My guess:

company A's guy throws smoke bomb in company B's truck.
              company B puts out smoke bomb.
              company B decides to get some paybacks/revenge on company A by using 200gals foam in company A's cab.

Also betting some pushing/shoving/fighting involved. Oh yeah, maybe a little alcohol and members under age of 30. Might also have some "my truck is prettier than your truck" going on too.

just a guess.
              "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Comment

George,
                I was just a wonderin..............thanks
                IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
                Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
                ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
                RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
                LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
                I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
                "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
                http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Comment

"Wetdown"--explain,please.

Having never heard of a "Wetdown" could somebody please tell me what it entails? Is it a Volly activity only or do your career guys do it too? It would appear to be a "American" thing--your enlightenment will be apreciated.
                  "If you thought it was hard getting into the job--wait until you have to hang the "fire gear"up and walk away!"
                  Harry Lauder 1981.Me on the left!

Comment

From what I was told....traditionally, a new apparatus was celebrated by surrounding communities. Part of the ceremony involved spraying water on the vehicle for good luck (guess it had something to do with washing away bad spirits?).

Some "wetdowns" are simply a big party, some are more of a judging contest for parade pieces, some are more like a carnival, and most are a mix of all of the above. In my area, FD's have them and also EMS Squads have them. Never been to one to celebrate a new police car...

They are more common in volunteer agencies, but I have been to a few at paid departments.
                    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X