X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • firefighter26
    Forum Member
    • Jan 2001

random thought cluttering my head...

Sorry guys, and gals, but for some reason I got this thought stuck in my head, and was just wondering if anyone else had an opinion on it (other than that I need to find something more productive to do).

In our department we are covered under an insurance package that covers us for injuries, etc, that we may receive while on a call. We are covered from the moment our pager goes to the moment we are secure from the call.

So, lets say I am driving home, in our district, and get into a car accident. Now, I have my pager with me, like always, and shortly after the accident, it goes off. Now, lets say it is a bad accident and I end up dying as result; would I still be covered for death benefits?

Some could argue that I would be because the department was called out, and I died during the call. Others might say that it would be void because I was involved in the accident prior to the call being placed.

It was just a random thought I had on the way home from work this long weekend... I think it might be time for that drink...
    "No one ever called the Fire Department for doing something smart..."
  • captstanm1
    District Chief
    • Mar 2001

My thoughts are this......

No you would not be covered. Your death is certainly a result of the accident, but that accident occurred before your department was dispatched.
    09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
    ------------------------------
    IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
    "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
    BMI Investigator
    ------------------------------
    The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

Comment

• firefighter26
      Forum Member
      • Jan 2001

yeah, that's I was thinking to.

What if I didn't die, but was injuried further after the accident occured...?

Comment

• CollegeBuff
        Forum Member
        • Apr 2000

Ah.... but he wouldn't be on the road if it wasn't for the call.....?

Comment

• Weruj1
          Forum Member
          • Dec 1999

WTF ...........
          IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
          Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
          ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
          RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
          LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
          I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
          "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
          http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Comment

• Rayr49
            Forum Member
            • Dec 1998

I would pose that question to your insurance carrier. Ours is a "portal to portal" coverage which means that you are covered from the time you leave your home or work until you return. It would also cover you as long as you are engaged in "official duties". It would not cover your return trip if you stopped at a resturant for dinner and then were involved in an accident on your way home. Your coverage ended when you were no longer engaged in official duties.

It also covers you for training, community projects, etc. as long as it is sanctioned by the department.

Comment

• CharlieRFDPres
              Forum Member
              • Nov 2002

yeah, what Ray said!!

Our policy (I'm 90+% sure), is from tones til back home, work, etc whatever you responded from, but I'd check regarding your policy(s).
              Insurance companies are about as trustworth as lawyers, check the fine print!! Good Luck.

BE SAFE OUT THERE
              GOD BLESS THE 343 AND 60, MAY GOD GRANT HIS PEACE TO THEIR LOVED ONES.
              (should now be CharlieRFD,past,Pres.), but I've had this screen name for so long, I'm keeping it..., besides I'm Deputy Chief now.
              BE SAFE OUT THERE
              NEVER FORGET
              GOD BLESS THE 343 AND 60, MAY GOD GRANT HIS PEACE TO THEIR LOVED ONES.
              IACOJ
              F.O.O.P.

Comment

• NJFFSA16
                Sr. Information Officer
                • Aug 2001

Re: random thought cluttering my head...

Originally posted by firefighter26
                I think it might be time for that drink...
                I agree. Bottoms up! (Just do it at home...please?)
                Proudly serving as the IACOJ Minister of Information & Propoganda!
                Be Safe! Lookouts-Awareness-Communications-Escape Routes-Safety Zones

*Gathering Crust Since 1968*
                On the web at www.section2wildfire.com

Comment

• IACOJRev
                  Fire Chaplain
                  • Dec 2002

Re: random thought cluttering my head...

Originally posted by firefighter26
                  In our department we are covered under an insurance package that covers us for injuries, etc, that we may receive while on a call.
                  You weren't "on the call"... you were the call.

The bigger question is... will the insurance cover Malahat's car after he rammed into you repeatedly?
                  Resident Chaplain of the IACOJ

Comment

• firefighter26
                    Forum Member
                    • Jan 2001

Re: Re: random thought cluttering my head...

Originally posted by IACOJRev
                    The bigger question is... will the insurance cover Malahat's car after he rammed into you repeatedly?
                    I don't think it would... then again, I don't think it would do 27's car any favours either....

As for the drink, these days, the only place to have one is at home...

Comment

• 4bugles
                      MembersZone Subscriber
                      • Feb 2003

Other than the obvious answer (you need to find a hobby!)

Our insurance covers us as soon as we know there is a need. Which means if you look out your window, see a fire in your neighbor's house, run out and trip over your pet rock in your yard, you are covered...no matter when your pager goes off. (I am assuming you had your wife call 911 while you ran over in this case.)

This hasn't happened in our dept, but something near this example happened nearby. There was a little arguement about whether or not the tones actually have to trip to be covered. After that happened, we did some checking to make sure we wouldn't run into the same problem.
                      ftm-ptb
                      leather forever
                      gateway fools

Comment

• MalahatTwo7
                        MembersZone Subscriber
                        • Mar 2002

Actually 26, I am sure that my car would fair out pretty decently, as has been proven by the boot mark that YOU put into the fender last summer

On the 'flip' side, I know that my insurance is good for such things.... I made sure that it would allow me coverage to *aaahhemmmm* ^bump^ into my Mates. LOL
                        If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Comment

• SANDSTROMJM
                          Forum Member
                          • Mar 2002

We have a carrier that definatley protects us.
                          1. No tone's needed, if I stop at.. for example, an MVA out of my town and I get hurt, I'm coverd.
                          2. If we contract HIV, (by known carrier) they pay Death benifits up front instead of making you wait.
                          3. If hurt bad enough on a call and you can't work, what ever workers comp pays, this carrier will make the difference in your normal pay (up to 500.00).
                          Unfortunatly I forget the name of the carrier, if you need to I will get it & post thier name (if that is legal).

I don't think they will cover cosmetic damages such as boot marks and such
                          Joe
                          A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                          Working...