Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

Firehouse.com Forum Rules & Guidelines

Forum Rules & Guidelines

Not Permitted or Tolerated:
• Advertising and/or links of commercial, for-profit websites, products, and/or services is not permitted. If you have a need to advertise on Firehouse.com please contact [email protected]
• Fighting/arguing
• Cyber-bullying
• Swearing
• Name-calling and/or personal attacks
• Spamming
• Typing in all CAPS
• “l33t speak” - Substituting characters for letters in an effort to represent a word or phrase. (example: M*****ive)
• Distribution of another person’s personal information, regardless of whether or not said information is public knowledge and whether or not an individual has permission to post said personal information
• Piracy advocation of any kind
• Racist, sexual, hate type defamatory, religious, political, or sexual commentary.
• Multiple forum accounts

Forum Posting Guidelines:

Posts must be on-topic, non-disruptive and relevant to the firefighting community. Post only in a mature and responsible way that contributes to the discussion at hand. Posting relevant information, helpful suggestions and/or constructive criticism is a great way to contribute to the community.

Post in the correct forum and have clear titles for your threads.

Please post in English or provide a translation.

There are moderators and admins who handle these forums with care, do not resort to self-help, instead please utilize the reporting option. Be mature and responsible for yourself and your posts. If you are offended by another member utilize the reporting option. All reported posts will be addressed and dealt with as deemed appropriate by Firehouse.com staff.

Firehouse.com Moderation Process:
Effective immediately, the following moderation process will take effect. User(s) whose posts are determined by Firehouse.com staff to be in violation of any of the rules above will EARN the following reprimand(s) in the moderation process:
1. An initial warning will be issued.
2. A Final Warning will be issued if a user is found to be in violation a second time.
3. A 3-day suspension will be issued if the user continues to break the forum rules.
4. A 45-day suspension will be issued if the user is found to be a habitual rule breaker.
5. Habitual rule breakers that have exhausted all of the above will receive a permanent life-time ban that will be strictly enforced. Reinstatement will not be allowed – there is no appeal process.

Subsequent accounts created in an effort to side-step the rules and moderation process are subject to automatic removal without notice. Firehouse.com reserves the right to expedite the reprimand process for any users as it is deemed necessary. Any user in the moderation process may be required to review and agree to by email the terms and conditions listed above before their account is re-instated (except for those that are banned).

Firehouse.com reserves the right to edit and/or remove any post or member, at any time, for any reason without notice. Firehouse.com also reserves the right to warn, suspend, and/or ban, any member, at any time, for any reason.

Firehouse.com values the active participation we have in our forums. Please ensure your posts are tasteful and tactful. Thank you very much for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Weird But True

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ray Was Here
    ALL GAVE SOME BUT SOME GAVE ALL
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    CAPT. Frank Callahan Ladder 35 *
    LT. John Ginley Engine 40
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40
    FF. Jimmy Giberson Ladder 35
    FF. Michael Otten Ladder 35 *
    FF. Steve Mercado Engine 40 *
    FF. Kevin Bracken Engine 40 *
    FF. Vincent Morello Ladder 35
    FF. Michael Roberts Ladder 35 *
    FF. Michael Lynch Engine 40
    FF. Michael Dauria Engine 40

Charleston 9
    "If my job was easy a cop would be doing it."
    *******************CLICK HERE*****************

Comment

• August 29, 2005 -- Want to take a little snooze in Minnesota's Mall of America? It'll cost you. A new store called MinneNAPolis in the huge Bloomington shopping center will sell you some shuteye for 70 cents a minute. It's aimed at travelers who need a nap after a long flight but aren't staying long enough to book a hotel. It's also targeted at the bored spouses of shoppers. "We think it would be really good for husbands at Christmas, when their wives are power-shopping," said mall spokeswoman Julie Hansen.
      NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
      FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40

Charleston 9

Comment

• Originally posted by E40FDNYL35
        Ray Was Here
        That was definitely weird!!!
        The comments made by me are my opinions only. They DO NOT reflect the opinions of my employer(s). If you have an issue with something I may say, take it up with me, either by posting in the forums, emailing me through my profile, or PMing me through my profile.
        We are all adults so there is no need to act like a child........
        IACOJ

Comment

• August 30, 2005 -- A legless man is being pursued by the long arm of the law in Iowa after he tried on an artificial limb and ran off (as best as he could) without paying. The bizarre theft at Spectrum Prosthetics in Des Moines now has authorities scouring the city for a disabled man who's suddenly walking better than he had been.
          This guy is guilty, He doesn't have a leg to stand on with the law.
          NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
          FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40

Charleston 9

Comment

• Originally posted by firenresq77
            That was definitely weird!!!
            That was weird ... or RAY was weird? LOL

Ray, I should've got you to delete that stupid thread "sorry to b a pest" or whatever it is called while you were in there
            September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
            IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
            Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

Comment

• U.K. school tailors policy to foul mouths

U.K. school tailors policy to foul mouths
              Students can use 'f-word' up to 5 times per lesson

Updated: 3:32 p.m. ET Aug. 30, 2005

As children throughout the country head back to school, many of them are probably muttering a few choice words about the prospect of returning to the classroom and the expected onslaught of homework. But can they utter those choice words and swear at their teachers? If they’re heading back to school in one town in England, then yes, they can.

According to a report in the U.K.’s Daily Mail, one school in the town of Wellingborough is allowing pupils to swear at teachers, providing they only do so no more than five times in a class. A tally of how many times the f-word is used will be kept and if the class exceeds the limit, they will be “spoken” to, the newspaper reported.

The school believes the policy will improve behavior, but parents and parliamentary members have condemned the rule and warned it would backfire.

According to the Daily Mail, assistant headmaster Richard White said the policy was aimed at 15- and 16-year-olds in two classes which are considered troublesome.

"Within each lesson the teacher will initially tolerate (although not condone) the use of the f-word (or derivatives) five times and these will be tallied on the board so all students can see the running score," the Daily Mail quoted White as writing in a letter. "Over this number the class will be spoken to by the teacher at the end of the lesson."

According to the report, headmaster Alan Large said he had received no complaints about the policy.

But Conservative member of parliament Ann Widdecombe said the policy was based on “Alice in Wonderland reasoning,” the Daily Mail reported. “What next? Do we allow people to speed five times or burgle five times? You don't improve something by allowing it, you improve something by discouraging it,” Widdecombe was quoted as saying.

The newspaper also reported that the 1,130-pupil school plans to send “praise postcards” to the parents of children who do not swear and who turn up on time for lessons.

© 2005 MSNBC Interactive
              The comments made by me are my opinions only. They DO NOT reflect the opinions of my employer(s). If you have an issue with something I may say, take it up with me, either by posting in the forums, emailing me through my profile, or PMing me through my profile.
              We are all adults so there is no need to act like a child........
              IACOJ

Comment

• Originally posted by firenresq77
                U.K. school tailors policy to foul mouths
                Students can use 'f-word' up to 5 times per lesson

Updated: 3:32 p.m. ET Aug. 30, 2005

As children throughout the country head back to school, many of them are probably muttering a few choice words about the prospect of returning to the classroom and the expected onslaught of homework. But can they utter those choice words and swear at their teachers? If they’re heading back to school in one town in England, then yes, they can.

According to a report in the U.K.’s Daily Mail, one school in the town of Wellingborough is allowing pupils to swear at teachers, providing they only do so no more than five times in a class. A tally of how many times the f-word is used will be kept and if the class exceeds the limit, they will be “spoken” to, the newspaper reported.

The school believes the policy will improve behavior, but parents and parliamentary members have condemned the rule and warned it would backfire.

According to the Daily Mail, assistant headmaster Richard White said the policy was aimed at 15- and 16-year-olds in two classes which are considered troublesome.

"Within each lesson the teacher will initially tolerate (although not condone) the use of the f-word (or derivatives) five times and these will be tallied on the board so all students can see the running score," the Daily Mail quoted White as writing in a letter. "Over this number the class will be spoken to by the teacher at the end of the lesson."

According to the report, headmaster Alan Large said he had received no complaints about the policy.

But Conservative member of parliament Ann Widdecombe said the policy was based on “Alice in Wonderland reasoning,” the Daily Mail reported. “What next? Do we allow people to speed five times or burgle five times? You don't improve something by allowing it, you improve something by discouraging it,” Widdecombe was quoted as saying.

The newspaper also reported that the 1,130-pupil school plans to send “praise postcards” to the parents of children who do not swear and who turn up on time for lessons.

© 2005 MSNBC Interactive
                That's what happens when PC runs amok!
                ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
                Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Comment

• August 31, 2005 -- Michael Lyons thought he'd come up with a great practical joke for his daughter's birthday party — but nobody's laughing now that he was busted. As the Savannah, Ga., man stopped by a bank with the party guests, he convinced one of his daughter's 13-year-old pals to hand a note to a teller, stating, "Give me all of your money, this is a stickup."
                  The teller sounded the alarm and cops stormed the building.
                  NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
                  FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40

Charleston 9

Comment

• There Ya Have It Folks - Its Official

B.C. court rules same-sex flings are adulterous

Global National with files from Canadian Press August 30, 2005

A Vancouver woman was granted a precedent-setting divorce Tuesday after a B.C. Supreme Court judge decided the woman's husband had indeed engaged in an adulterous affair with another man, despite the fact that the current definition of adultery involves people of the opposite sex.

Justice Nicole Garson said she had been persuaded that she had the authority to make a change in the definition of adultery -- a precedent-setting decision.

The traditional definition of adultery, developed through the courts, is voluntary sex between a spouse and someone of the opposite gender, to whom the person is not married.

Garson also granted the Justice Department's request to ban publication of the couple's name and referred to the case as P. versus P.

Christian Girouard, spokesman for the federal government, said the department had intervener status in the case to ensure the Divorce Act would be interpreted consistent with the Charter of Rights and Freedoms to reflect same-sex marriage legislation.

"In this case the court was being asked to rule on whether adultery also includes sexual behaviour with a person of the same sex," Girouard said.

The judge's decision is expected to have far-reaching consequences across the country because of the increasing number of same-sex marriages that will inevitably lead to same-sex affairs, said barbara findlay, the woman's lawyer, who spells her name all lower-case letters.

"We argued, and the federal government agreed with us, that the court can make what is called in law an incremental change in light of current circumstances so that divorce will, from now on, be understood to be available where there is, for example, intimate genital contact between two people, one of whom is married," findlay said.

Because adultery is not defined through federal legislation, judges hearing similar cases in other provinces will no doubt be persuaded by Garson's decision, she said.

And there are bound to be plenty of court hearings in other jurisdictions involving similar circumstances.

"It's likely to happen a lot because same-sex partners are predictably more likely to have affairs with other people of the same gender than with people of the opposite gender," findlay said.

"It's going to be important for lesbian and gay men whose partners commit infidelity to enable them to get divorced immediately instead of having to wait a year."

She also launched a constitutional challenge based on the Charter, saying the definition of adultery discriminates against gay and lesbian couples because it makes divorce less accessible to them compared to homosexuals.

She said her 44-year-old client had been married for almost 17 years.

The woman filed for divorce after she discovered last October that her husband was having an affair with a man.

Garson was concerned that she did not have jurisdiction to grant a divorce and in February requested that the woman hire a lawyer to argue why the definition of adultery should include same-sex affairs.

The judge's written decision is expected to be released in two weeks.

© Global National 2005
                    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Comment

• Where do they find people of this caliber?

Originally posted by MalahatTwo7
                      As public art project, human cannonball to be fired across U.S.-Mexico border

Elliot Spagat Canadian Press Saturday, August 27, 2005

SAN DIEGO (AP) - David Smith Sr. holds a world record for the longest distance travelled by a human fired from a cannon. On Saturday, he plans to add to his cannonball coups by shooting himself across the U.S.-Mexico border.

The feat is the brainchild of Venezuelan artist Javier Tellez and inaugurates a series of public art projects in the two border cities of San Diego and Tijuana, Mexico.

Smith will be shot from a Tijuana beach over a rusty, corrugated metal fence into a park in San Diego.

David Smith Jr., also an accomplished human cannonball, said his father will be the first person to fly across an international border from a cannon.

Tellez organized the event with psychiatric patients at the Baja California Mental Health Center in Mexicali, Mexico, as a therapeutic project. It is part of an art series that begins Saturday and will run through the fall, sponsored by inSite05, a binational arts partnership in the border region.

The artist said in a statement he was inspired by circus performers to explore "the notion of spatial and mental borders in the context of Tijuana and San Diego."

Tellez, 36, and Smith Sr. worked closely on the backdrop, music, costumes and advertising for the project, One Flew Over the Void.

Although it is illegal for anyone to enter the U.S. outside an official port of entry, U.S. Border Patrol Chief David Aguilar made an exception for Smith Sr., a patrol spokesman said.

Smith Jr., 28, said the family insisted on the government's approval.

"I had to have some kind of official OK high enough up to make sure he doesn't land in the U.S. and go to a federal penitentiary," he said.

Smith Sr., of Half Way, Mo., is listed in Guinness World Records for record distance for a human fired from a cannon. He flew 56.64 metres on May 29, 1998, in West Mifflin, Pa.

The Smith family has five cannonballs: father, son, two daughters and a cousin. Smith Sr. built seven cannons designed to fire humans, and his family operates five of them, travelling around the world to perform at events including parades and concerts, his son said.

"If one of the girls has a baby, they can't be a cannonball during that time," said Smith Jr., who was scheduled Saturday to be shot from a cannon in Toronto.

On the Net: www.insite05.org © The Canadian Press 2005

Comment

• September 1, 2005 --A man is selling air from the Welsh countryside for $43 a bottle. John Gronow of Cardiff is marketing the air to expatriates who miss their homeland, saying each bottle comes with a certificate guaranteeing it's been gathered in the mountains of Wales. Maybe he sends along a little note saying, "Sniff this, sucker!"
                        NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
                        FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40

Charleston 9

Comment

• Originally posted by doughesson
                          Where do they find people of this caliber?

I kinda wondered that too. Add to that: I wonder if they are a large or a small bore family?
                          If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

Comment

• Police charge 11 after wedding party brawl

Canadian Press Tuesday, September 20, 2005

NEW YORK (AP) - A groom spent his wedding night in jail with his father, his brother his father-in-law and seven other members of his wedding party after the group allegedly brawled with another bridal party and police, according to a published report.

Police arrested the groom, Joseph Fortunato Jr., 29, and the ten others after officers were called to break up the melee at the Crowne Plaza Hotel in White Plains, Saturday, according to an article appearing in Thursday's editions of the Daily News.

The altercation reportedly began with a case of mistaken identity. A member of the second wedding party confronted Fortunato's best man, believing him to be a wedding photographer, who had absconded. The best man allegedly responded with force sparking a bench-clearer.

"Everybody's fighting everybody," White Plains police spokesman Martin Gleeson told the Daily News. "And both brides are kind of walking around helpless like, 'This is my wedding? I can't believe this is happening!'"

After police intervened by arresting Fortunato, the other members of his wedding party objected violently, leading to their arrests. The eleven suspects, all from Fortunato's party, were charged with resisting arrest, disorderly conduct and first-degree riot, a felony punishable by up to four years in prison.

They were released on bail Sunday.

Police said the melee caused $2,000 of damage to the hotel.

"We believe the event may have been alcohol-driven," Gleeson told the Daily News.

© The Canadian Press 2005

Comment

• Do we need to activate the IACOJ RIT?

Ray where are you? We MISS you!

Miracle baby survives abdominal pregnancy
                              CTV.ca News Staff

Doctors in London, Ontario, have witnessed a miracle, after a woman gave birth following a rare extrauterine pregnancy.

"We won't see another case like this in my lifetime," Dr. Victor Han, chairman of the division of neonatal-perinatal medicine at St. Joseph's told the Medical Post.

"A case like this won't happen in the lifetime of my colleagues either. Probably not even in Canada. It is so rare."

So rare, in fact, there have only been four similar cases reported worldwide.

Lia Tharby delivered her daughter, Emylea, at 33 weeks during emergency surgery to perform a vertical cesarean section.

"My heart melts every morning that I see her," Tharby told CTV News. "She is the most beautiful child I could ever dream of having."

From the beginning of her pregnancy, Tharby was in and out of hospital with severe abdominal pain. But the doctors couldn't determine what was causing it. Nor could they explain why the baby she was carrying was not encased in the normal sac of fluid.

"It was difficult to figure out why there was no amniotic fluid around the baby despite the fact the baby had normal organ structure," Dr. Renato Natale, associate chief of obstetrics at St. Joseph's Health Care and the London Health Sciences Centre, told CTV News.

"We were at a loss."

What they didn't know is that the fertilized egg had fallen into the abdominal cavity. And the placenta that feeds the baby had implanted on the outside of the uterus.

"They only found out when they opened me up and took her out. That's the only time we knew for sure she was outside the womb. And it shocked me as much as it shocked them," Tharby said.

Emylea had dislocated hips and club feet and her skull was flattened due to the fact that she was squished beneath her mother's liver and bowels during the pregnancy.

While she will require surgery for her hip and bracing for her feet, Emylea is otherwise a normal, healthy four-month-old.

"What went through out minds was, wow, how can this happen?" said Dr. Han.

"It really has befuddled us all in terms of how effective that placenta was in terms of supporting the baby's growth as where it was implanted in an entirely hostile environment," Dr. Natale explained.

And that raises an intriguing question. If the placenta can grow outside the uterus, is it possible for men to carry babies as well?

"If the appropriate conditions are created like hormones, any living person either woman or man could conceive," Dr. Han told CTV News.

But Dr. Natale isn't so sure.

"I don't want to go there," he said.

The irony is that if Emylea's predicament had been discovered early on, the pregnancy might have been terminated. The fact she eluded detection means she is now a medical marvel.

With a report from CTV's Avis Favaro.
                              September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
                              IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
                              Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

Comment

• Weird But True I'm back from the SOUTH....

September 30, 2005 -- A man reported missing from a Florida hospital was found in North Carolina — dressed like a doctor and driving a stolen ambulance with a dead deer in the back.

But wait. It gets better.

In a macabre twist, cops in Rockingham County said the deer — a large buck — was hooked up to an intravenous feed, with a recently used defibrillator lying by its chest. Leon Hollimon Jr., 37, is now under psychiatric care — and not a minute to soon.
                                Last edited by E40FDNYL35; 10-01-2005, 06:49 AM.
                                NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
                                FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40