Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

Firehouse.com Forum Rules & Guidelines

Forum Rules & Guidelines

Not Permitted or Tolerated:
• Advertising and/or links of commercial, for-profit websites, products, and/or services is not permitted. If you have a need to advertise on Firehouse.com please contact [email protected]
• Fighting/arguing
• Cyber-bullying
• Swearing
• Name-calling and/or personal attacks
• Spamming
• Typing in all CAPS
• “l33t speak” - Substituting characters for letters in an effort to represent a word or phrase. (example: M*****ive)
• Distribution of another person’s personal information, regardless of whether or not said information is public knowledge and whether or not an individual has permission to post said personal information
• Piracy advocation of any kind
• Racist, sexual, hate type defamatory, religious, political, or sexual commentary.
• Multiple forum accounts

Forum Posting Guidelines:

Posts must be on-topic, non-disruptive and relevant to the firefighting community. Post only in a mature and responsible way that contributes to the discussion at hand. Posting relevant information, helpful suggestions and/or constructive criticism is a great way to contribute to the community.

Post in the correct forum and have clear titles for your threads.

Please post in English or provide a translation.

There are moderators and admins who handle these forums with care, do not resort to self-help, instead please utilize the reporting option. Be mature and responsible for yourself and your posts. If you are offended by another member utilize the reporting option. All reported posts will be addressed and dealt with as deemed appropriate by Firehouse.com staff.

Firehouse.com Moderation Process:
Effective immediately, the following moderation process will take effect. User(s) whose posts are determined by Firehouse.com staff to be in violation of any of the rules above will EARN the following reprimand(s) in the moderation process:
1. An initial warning will be issued.
2. A Final Warning will be issued if a user is found to be in violation a second time.
3. A 3-day suspension will be issued if the user continues to break the forum rules.
4. A 45-day suspension will be issued if the user is found to be a habitual rule breaker.
5. Habitual rule breakers that have exhausted all of the above will receive a permanent life-time ban that will be strictly enforced. Reinstatement will not be allowed – there is no appeal process.

Subsequent accounts created in an effort to side-step the rules and moderation process are subject to automatic removal without notice. Firehouse.com reserves the right to expedite the reprimand process for any users as it is deemed necessary. Any user in the moderation process may be required to review and agree to by email the terms and conditions listed above before their account is re-instated (except for those that are banned).

Firehouse.com reserves the right to edit and/or remove any post or member, at any time, for any reason without notice. Firehouse.com also reserves the right to warn, suspend, and/or ban, any member, at any time, for any reason.

Firehouse.com values the active participation we have in our forums. Please ensure your posts are tasteful and tactful. Thank you very much for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Weird But True

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• August 21, 2005 -- A stalking Nevada cat scored some Vegas-style luck when it got zapped off the top of a 40-foot-high power line pole when a 25,000-volt relay switch blew. Paramedics found the frazzled feline in good condition. Its burns were superficial, but it's going to be hairless for a while.
    ALL GAVE SOME BUT SOME GAVE ALL
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    CAPT. Frank Callahan Ladder 35 *
    LT. John Ginley Engine 40
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40
    FF. Jimmy Giberson Ladder 35
    FF. Michael Otten Ladder 35 *
    FF. Steve Mercado Engine 40 *
    FF. Kevin Bracken Engine 40 *
    FF. Vincent Morello Ladder 35
    FF. Michael Roberts Ladder 35 *
    FF. Michael Lynch Engine 40
    FF. Michael Dauria Engine 40

Charleston 9
    "If my job was easy a cop would be doing it."
    *******************CLICK HERE*****************

Comment

• August 22, 2005 -- An alligator living in a Los Angeles lake is becoming a folk hero of sorts, with fans hoping he continues to elude capture. The alligator, believed to be an abandoned pet, has been chased around the 53-acre Machado Lake since he was discovered living there on Aug. 12. Now experts are taking a wait-and-see approach to wrangling the gator, lovingly named "Carlito" or "Harbor Park Harry."
      NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
      FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40

Charleston 9

Comment

• Help Me... My Train Derailed And ......

Police battle looters after beer train crashes - 1 person killed at site of South Africa derailment

Updated: 8:45 a.m. ET Aug. 22, 2005

JOHANNESBURG, South Africa - Hundreds of looters battled police all weekend at the site of a beer train wreck in violence that left one woman dead, South African police said on Monday as they kept a heavy guard on the remaining alcohol.

The train carrying 180,000 crates of beer from South African Breweries derailed on Friday night near Waterval Boven, 124 miles east of Johannesburg, Superintendent Izak van Zyl said.

By Saturday morning, police were battling up to 200 people from the nearby township trying to make off with crates of beer.

“It was a lot of trouble from one train crash,” Van Zyl said. “They were firing rubber bullets into the crowd. The issue was the beer.”

A 19-year-old woman in the crowd was killed when she fell under the wheels of a truck, he said.

Police handed the site over to railway security staff but were back again on Sunday morning, firing more rubber bullets as looters converged on the train. Officers raided nearby houses, recovered three out of 500 missing cases and arrested six people.

Van Zyl said 20 officers would remain at the site until the overturned wagons and surviving beer crates could be recovered, an operation that could take up to a week.

Copyright 2005 Reuters Limited.

I wonder how many trauma bee...err. I mean bears the cops had to hand out for this one?
        If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Comment

• August 23, 2005 -- James Lubeck had long forgotten about his wallet falling into Marblehead Harbor in Massachusetts as he secured his sailboat during a storm in 1966. That is, until this month, when a fisherman hauled in the wallet's sheath — holding 12 credit cards in good condition —in a netful of cod, flounder and haddock some 25 miles away. "I can't find the adjectives," said Lubeck, 74. "It is incredible. Life is full of mysteries."
          NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
          FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40

Charleston 9

Comment

• Originally posted by E40FDNYL35
            August 23, 2005 -- James Lubeck had long forgotten about his wallet falling into Marblehead Harbor in Massachusetts as he secured his sailboat during a storm in 1966. That is, until this month, when a fisherman hauled in the wallet's sheath — holding 12 credit cards in good condition —in a netful of cod, flounder and haddock some 25 miles away. "I can't find the adjectives," said Lubeck, 74. "It is incredible. Life is full of mysteries."
            I saw that story yesterday too. I thinks its pretty kuul, both that someone found the cards, AND chose to return them. Goes to show that there are still a few good people out there. {although I must say I have met a pretty great number of them since my arr in DC/VA Must be that Eastcoaster hospitality I always heard about growing up on the Left Coast. }
            If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

Comment

• August 24, 2005 --A jittery Guatemalan groom, set to walk up the aisle, faked his own kidnapping to get out of his wedding. The 25-year-old louse disappeared the day of the ceremony and appeared again hours later, claiming he'd been snatched off the street. Cops later got him to admit it was all a big lie. He might now go to jail for wasting police time — and that could be a good thing, considering how furious the jilted bride is.
              NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
              FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40

Charleston 9

Comment

• August 25, 2005 -- Bulldozers and booze don't mix.
                Just ask the two Ohio cops who had to run for their lives when an allegedly liquored-up man tried to mow them down with his 10-ton bulldozer. Police in Thompson finally convinced William Armstrong, 52, to surrender after he plowed into a sheriff's car.
                NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
                FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40

Charleston 9

Comment

• New Reality Show

AMSTERDAM (Reuters) - Billionaire television producer John de Mol, behind the pioneer show Big Brother, will test the limits of reality TV with a program in which a woman searches for a potential sperm donor to conceive a child.

His new TV station Talpa, launched earlier this month, confirmed it will air a program called "I want your child ... and nothing else!" but gave no further details about the show due at 1830 GMT Wednesday.

"The plan is that we visit potential donors and -- of course on camera -- decide which man is most suitable," the 30-year old woman who will feature in the program said in an interview with De Telegraaf newspaper.

"Afterwards there will be artificial insemination," said the woman who was identified only as "Yessica" and who has bought a house with a room for a child.

The show is a one-off competing with four other reality TV programs, one of which follows five former prostitutes starting a cafe. The program receiving most votes from viewers Saturday, after all the shows have aired, will be turned into a series.

De Telegraaf also published an email address for men wanting to donate sperm to Yessica.

Comment

• Doctor in trouble for calling patient obese

ROCHESTER, N.H. - As doctors warn more patients that they should lose weight, the advice has backfired on one doctor with a woman filing a complaint with the state saying he was hurtful, not helpful.

Dr. Terry Bennett says he tells obese patients their weight is bad for their health and their love lives, but the lecture drove one patient to complain to the state.

“I told a fat woman she was obese,” Bennett says. “I tried to get her attention. I told her, 'You need to get on a program, join a group of like-minded people and peel off the weight that is going to kill you.'"

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9063638/
                    "When I was young, my ambition was to be one of the people who made a difference in this world. My hope is to leave the world a little better for my having been there."
                    -- Jim Henson (1936 - 1990)

Comment

• World's Longest Eyebrown Hair

Aug. 24, 2005 - SARANAC, N.Y. (AP) - A bushy brow landed Frank Ames in the Guinness Book of World Records, but not before a new entry was created for him.
                      The 43-year-old upstate New York man now holds the world record for having the longest eyebrow hair, measured just over 3 inches.

"I don't know why it grows like that; it just always has," Ames told the Press-Republican of Plattsburgh.

Ames' journey toward notoriety began almost two years ago when a co-worker at Bombardier Corp. noticed the lengthy brow and suggested Ames try for a record.

When Ames decided to go for it, he discovered that no such category existed. So, he called Guinness and got the rules for official recognition.

Ken Joy, a machinist at Bombardier, measured the hair in February 2004 with Plattsburgh Mayor Daniel Stewart and other city officials standing by as witnesses.

Ames' record appears in the 2006 edition of the record book, in the "Body Parts" section.

"It's crazy how much people want to know about this," Ames said Tuesday. "I've been on radio shows all day. I could build children's hospitals all across the world, and this is what I would still be known for."
                      The comments made by me are my opinions only. They DO NOT reflect the opinions of my employer(s). If you have an issue with something I may say, take it up with me, either by posting in the forums, emailing me through my profile, or PMing me through my profile.
                      We are all adults so there is no need to act like a child........
                      IACOJ

Comment

• August 26, 2005 -- You could say Gianluca DeMarco is a red-hot student.
                        The Illinois teen admitted pouring gasoline in his locker at Lake Park HS and starting a fire so he'd be expelled. But you can't keep a bad student down — DeMarco, who received two years' probation, now plans to go to college.

Better start fireproofing those dorms.
                        NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
                        FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40

Charleston 9

Comment

• and in the world of sports...
                          August 27, 2005 -- Golfer Wally Stanley of Spokane Valley, Wash., hit his second hole-in-one this week — from his wheelchair. He aced the 140-yard fourth hole at The Links golf course in Post Falls, Idaho — bettering the 125-yard ace he hit two years ago at the Painted Hills golf course in Spokane.

Stanley, 61, was left paralyzed from the waist down 21 years ago when a drunken driver hit him.
                          NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
                          FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40

Charleston 9

Comment

• August 28, 2005 -- If it's Monday this must be the end — at least in Britain, where researchers have found Monday is the day people are most likely to commit suicide. Nearly a fifth of suicides in England and Wales between 1993 and 2002 happened on a Monday. The researchers attribute Monday's "popularity" to people's unease with starting anew. That could also explain why the first day of the millennium — Jan. 1, 2000 — was the day on which the most Britons (23) killed themselves.
                            NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
                            FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40

Charleston 9

Comment

• Kids Dont Try This At Home.. He's A 'professional'????

As public art project, human cannonball to be fired across U.S.-Mexico border

Elliot Spagat Canadian Press Saturday, August 27, 2005

SAN DIEGO (AP) - David Smith Sr. holds a world record for the longest distance travelled by a human fired from a cannon. On Saturday, he plans to add to his cannonball coups by shooting himself across the U.S.-Mexico border.

The feat is the brainchild of Venezuelan artist Javier Tellez and inaugurates a series of public art projects in the two border cities of San Diego and Tijuana, Mexico.

Smith will be shot from a Tijuana beach over a rusty, corrugated metal fence into a park in San Diego.

David Smith Jr., also an accomplished human cannonball, said his father will be the first person to fly across an international border from a cannon.

Tellez organized the event with psychiatric patients at the Baja California Mental Health Center in Mexicali, Mexico, as a therapeutic project. It is part of an art series that begins Saturday and will run through the fall, sponsored by inSite05, a binational arts partnership in the border region.

The artist said in a statement he was inspired by circus performers to explore "the notion of spatial and mental borders in the context of Tijuana and San Diego."

Tellez, 36, and Smith Sr. worked closely on the backdrop, music, costumes and advertising for the project, One Flew Over the Void.

Although it is illegal for anyone to enter the U.S. outside an official port of entry, U.S. Border Patrol Chief David Aguilar made an exception for Smith Sr., a patrol spokesman said.

Smith Jr., 28, said the family insisted on the government's approval.

"I had to have some kind of official OK high enough up to make sure he doesn't land in the U.S. and go to a federal penitentiary," he said.

Smith Sr., of Half Way, Mo., is listed in Guinness World Records for record distance for a human fired from a cannon. He flew 56.64 metres on May 29, 1998, in West Mifflin, Pa.

The Smith family has five cannonballs: father, son, two daughters and a cousin. Smith Sr. built seven cannons designed to fire humans, and his family operates five of them, travelling around the world to perform at events including parades and concerts, his son said.

"If one of the girls has a baby, they can't be a cannonball during that time," said Smith Jr., who was scheduled Saturday to be shot from a cannon in Toronto.

On the Net: www.insite05.org © The Canadian Press 2005

Comment

• We see the Raging Grannies at the CFB Esquimalt Dockyard everytime a US nuke sub comes into town. The only nukes we get are LA class subs, but they dont care a whole lot about that. They tend to paddle their kayaks around the harbour and sometimes posture near the front gate. This one seems a bit 'strong handed' for their organization.

Charges dropped against Raging Grannies who tried to enlist to protest war

Canadian Press Saturday, August 27, 2005

TUCSON, Ariz. (AP) - Charges have been dropped against the Raging Grannies, five women accused of trespassing after they tried to enlist at a military recruitment centre to protest the war in Iraq, a city prosecutor said.

The five women tried to enlist July 13, saying they wanted to go to Iraq so their children and grandchildren could come home. Recruiters called police.

Their group, dubbed the Tucson Raging Grannies, includes members ranging in age from 65 to 81 - decades older than the maximum age for recruits. They have protested at the centre every week for three years.

City Prosecutor Laura Brynwood said Friday the trespassing charges were dropped earlier this month because they would have been difficult to prove.

"Essentially, by the time the police arrived, 10 minutes after the initial call, they had already left and were back at their protest on the sidewalk," Brynwood said. "Proving they did not leave after they were requested to leave would be difficult."

A spokeswoman for the group cheered the decision. "We were naturally quite relieved because the charges were absurd in the beginning," said Patricia Birnie.

Birnie said the group will continue to protest outside the centre "until there is no longer a need to be there." But trying to enlist again is not in their immediate plans.

© The Canadian Press 2005

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X