X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who is this NUTBAR?

The ignorance of Rick Santorum

By Wesley Pruden
    There’s a tiny priest living in Rick Santorum’s trim, toned body, struggling to get out. The rogue priest escaped Sunday and said foolish things.

The candidate most admired for plain speech made it plain and clear that he doesn’t believe in the wall between church and state and doesn’t think much of John F. Kennedy for saying he did.

“I don’t believe in an America where the separation of church and state is absolute,” he told ABC News. “The idea that church can have no influence or involvement in the operation of the state is absolutely antithetical to the objectives and vision of our country.”

JFK would throw up if he heard Mr. Santorum’s garbled understanding of what he told the preachers in Houston.

This should cook his goose with conservatives (and everybody else), Catholic and Protestant alike, but it probably won’t. Many voters are as ignorant as Rick Santorum about the plain meaning of the First Amendment. Mr. Santorum, no doubt listening to his inner rogue, says the First Amendment’s guarantee of “the free exercise of religion means bringing everybody, people of faith and no faith, into the public square.”

Indeed it does, and the pope, the presiding bishop of the Episcopal Church, the president of the Southern Baptist Convention, all the Methodist and Episcopal bishops, rabbis Orthodox and otherwise and peaceful imams everywhere have the right to be heard. But none of them has the right, as arbiters of their faith, to compel the president of the United States to make public policy conform to religious doctrine. This is what makes America the exceptional nation. This is what Mr. Santorum appears to not understand.

John F. Kennedy, addressing the concern of the Protestant ministers of Houston in 1963, set the standard for how Catholic candidates for president (and other public office) should answer questions about how his faith would guide his secular presidency.

“I believe in an America where the separation of church and state is absolute,” JFK said, “where no Catholic prelate would tell the president, should he be Catholic, how to act, and no Protestant minister would tell his parishioners for whom to vote, where no church or church school is granted any public funds or political preference, and where no man is denied public office merely because his religion differs from the president who might appoint him or the people who might elect him.”

No one has said it better since, but Mr. Santorum says he read the speech and it “makes me want to throw up”. Heaven probably doesn’t have wi-fi connections, and a good thing, because JFK would throw up if he heard Mr. Santorum’s garbled understanding of what he told the preachers in Houston half a century ago.

“Go and read the speech,” Mr. Santorum said. “[He says] ‘I will have nothing to do with faith. I won’t consult with people of faith.’” But JFK said nothing remotely like that. He expected, of course, to consult his conscience, as all presidents are expected to do, and in his case it would be a conscience informed by faith and the teachings of the Gospel. But he promised to listen to no prelate, however well-intentioned, telling him how he must make public policy. This distinction is so simple that even a cave man would understand it.

The doctrine of separation of church and state is taking a beating this season. In a campaign video, President Obama urges black voters to pressure their churches to support his re-election by getting his messages out via “the faith community.” Voters, he says, should commission themselves “congregation captains.” This is part of the launch of “African Americans for Obama,” a blatant appeal to put race to work in his behalf. “Honkies for Romney” and “Blue-eyed Devils for Santorum” may be next.

Charles Blow, in a columnist’s tweet for the New York Times, tried to do a job on Mitt Romney’s religion, mocking the Mormon custom of wearing a “temple garment” under regular clothing as a reminder of faith, and telling “Muddle Mouth” Romney to “stick that in your underwear.” He apologized (though not as abjectly as his man routinely apologizes to angry Muslims).

The temptation of any presidential candidate is to do whatever works in a primary, figuring to tone down red-hot rhetoric later. Mr. Santorum may be unique. His appeal is based on saying whatever pops into his head, as long as he pleases his inner priest. If that upsets the congregation, tough. But it’s difficult, for Catholics, Protestants and others alike, to envision a rogue priest presiding over the White House.

Wesley Pruden is editor emeritus of The Washington Times.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Comment

• I'm going to momentarily break my 'no politics' rule here...

Don't get me started on this a-hole! He apparently doesn't believe in the 1st Amendment. He also seems to prefer the 'barefoot and pregnant' policy for women.

Originally posted by MalahatTwo7 View Post
      Who is this NUTBAR?

Comment

• I heard this on the radio this morning:

The Great Singapore Penis Panic and the joy of oddly titled books
        Joseph Brean Feb 26, 2012 – 9:32 PM ET | Last Updated: Feb 26, 2012 9:39 PM ET

The Diagram Prize for Oddest Title of the Year, which began in the 1970s as a pastime for bored merchants at the Frankfurt Book Fair, has grown into an annual literary event, comparable in stature to the Bad Sex in Fiction Award and similarly coveted as much as it is feared.

A shortlist Friday shows the competition is fierce as ever.

The Great Singapore Penis Panic (about koro, a mass hysteria that seems to happen in Asia when people believe their genitalia are retracting into their bodies) is among the early favourites, with strong challenges from a recipe book, Cooking with Poo (which means crab in Thai and is the author’s nickname) and an art text, The Mushroom in Christian Art.

“Never has the debate raged so fiercely as to which books should be put forward for the shortlist,” said Horace Bent, the custodian of the prize. “Which is why this year we have selected seven shortlistees, rather than the traditional six. And what a shortlist we have.”

Run by Bookseller magazine, and initially decided in-house by Mr. Bent and a jury of his choosing, the prize is now voted for online by publishers and booksellers.

Initially a bit of a joke, it has become so popular they have had to fend off what Mr. Bent has described as “self-consciously titled entries,” many of which seemed to imitate the 2003 winner, The Big Book of Lesbian Horse Stories.

While often funny, these deliberately odd titles run counter to the goal of the prize, which is to honour the earnestly clueless authors and publishers who would publish such titles as Butterworth’s Corporate Manslaughter Service (a legal text), 227 Secrets Your Snake Wants You to Know and Oral Sadism and the Vegetarian Personality.

The prize, which includes a magnum of Champagne for the person who nominated the winner, is a celebration of “unwitting oddity,” as Mr. Bent describes it, although even oddity has persistent themes, as the current shortlist reveals.

Mr. Andoh’s Pennine Diary: Memoirs of a Japanese Chicken Sexer in 1935 Hebden Bridge, for example, is one in a long line of memoirs by people with strange and funny-sounding, but nonetheless real jobs. Afterthoughts of a Worm Hunter, for example, won in 2010.

Two current nominees, Estonian Sock Patterns All Around the World and A Taxonomy of Office Chairs are among dozens of arcane field guides to make the list, including The Stray Shopping Carts of Eastern North America: A Guide to Field Identification, Collectible Spoons of the Third Reich and Versailles: The View From Sweden.

Manuals are also popular. Previous nods have gone to Knitting With Dog Hair, Living With Crazy Buttocks, Fancy Coffins to Make Yourself, Reusing Old Graves, How To Avoid Huge Ships, Italian Without Words, Sexual Health at your Fingertips and The Joy of Sex: Pocket Edition.

Few, however, can compare to the sheer improbability of the 2005 winner, which is still in print: People Who Don’t Know They’re Dead: How They Attach Themselves to Unsuspecting Bystanders — and What to Do About It.

National Post
        • Email: [email protected]
        If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

Comment

• The book is a real title:

{Amazon.com}
          Product Description
          Forty-three years ago, a strange series of events unfolded on the island of Singapore. Hundreds of men rushed to the hospitals of the island with the terrifying belief that their penises were shrinking. Each feared that if his penis shrank away completely, he would die. Some came with lucky red strings tightly wrapped around their penises to prevent the lethal disappearance. Others had clamps holding their wayward organs in place. Most often it was a firm grasp of a hand, their own or a frightened family member’s, that prevented the shrinking penis from slipping away and taking their life with it. Oddly enough, about a dozen women also fell victim to the panic. This was the Great Singapore Penis Panic, or what doctors refer to as an epidemic of the psychiatric condition called Koro. The Great Singapore Penis Panic and the Future of American Mass Hysteria explains the basis of koro in Chinese medicine, and how and why something so peculiar as the Singapore Koro epidemic could have happened when it did.

Comment

• Originally posted by MalahatTwo7 View Post
            The book is a real title:

{Amazon.com}
            Product Description
            Forty-three years ago, a strange series of events unfolded on the island of Singapore. Hundreds of men rushed to the hospitals of the island with the terrifying belief that their penises were shrinking. Each feared that if his penis shrank away completely, he would die. Some came with lucky red strings tightly wrapped around their penises to prevent the lethal disappearance. Others had clamps holding their wayward organs in place. Most often it was a firm grasp of a hand, their own or a frightened family member’s, that prevented the shrinking penis from slipping away and taking their life with it. Oddly enough, about a dozen women also fell victim to the panic. This was the Great Singapore Penis Panic, or what doctors refer to as an epidemic of the psychiatric condition called Koro. The Great Singapore Penis Panic and the Future of American Mass Hysteria explains the basis of koro in Chinese medicine, and how and why something so peculiar as the Singapore Koro epidemic could have happened when it did.

Crap Man. You failed to mention the important part. DID ANYONE LOSE THEIR JUNK ???

Comment

• Got to meet the redneck version of Martha Stewart today. This fashion forward interior designer decided having his oxygen hose running all over the couch was unacceptable so.... YES SIR, Mr BillyJoeBob plumbed his couch up for oxygen. One of the splices started to leak which when he dropped his cigarette on the couch created the INSTI FLAMING MASS.

You gotta love'em, they are why we exist.

Comment

• On the radio:

Canadas Smartest Person contest question:

"According to retail sales March is the biggest sale month of this:"

{will post answer once it comes through}

Comment

• Originally posted by MalahatTwo7 View Post
                  On the radio:

Canadas Smartest Person contest question:

"According to retail sales March is the biggest sale month of this:"

{will post answer once it comes through}
                  Is the answer St Paddy's Day? Nope

Is the answer Easter? Nope

Is the answer bikinis/bathing suits? Nope

Is the answer Home Pregnancy Tests? DING DING DING! WE HAVE A WINNAAAAA!!!!

Yep you heard it here first folks..... apparently has something to do with Valentine's Day in February. Imagine that eh? hahahahaaa

Comment

• Dinosaur flatulence may have caused Mesozoic global warming

Reuters May 7, 2012

WASHINGTON — In a major new climate finding, researchers have calculated that dinosaur flatulence could have put enough methane into the atmosphere to warm the planet during the hot, wet Mesozoic era.

Like gigantic, long-necked, prehistoric cows, sauropod dinosaurs roamed widely around the Earth 150 million years ago, scientists reported in the journal Current Biology on Monday.

And just like big cows, their plant digestion was aided by methane-producing microbes.

"A simple mathematical model suggests that the microbes living in sauropod dinosaurs may have produced enough methane to have an important effect on the Mesozoic climate," researcher Dave Wilkinson of Liverpool John Moores University said in a statement.

"Indeed, our calculations suggest that these dinosaurs could have produced more methane than all modern sources - both natural and man-made - put together," Wilkinson said.

Methane is a potent greenhouse gas, with as much as 25 times the climate-warming potential as carbon dioxide.

This gas is enough of a factor in modern global warming that scientists have worked to figure out how much methane is emitted by cows, sheep and other plant-eating animals.

The inquiry raised questions about whether the same thing could have happened in the distant past.

Wilkinson and co-author Graeme Ruxton of the University of St. Andrews worked with methane expert Euan Nisbet at the University of London to make an educated guess about the degree to which gaseous emissions from sauropods could have warmed the atmosphere.

Calculating methane emissions from modern animals depends only on the total mass of the animals in question. A mid-sized sauropod probably weighed about 20,000 kilograms, and there were a few dozen of them per square mile, the researchers found.

They reckoned that global methane emissions from sauropods were about 520 million tons per year, comparable to all modern methane emissions. Unlike emissions of carbon dioxide, which come from natural sources but also from the burning of fossil fuels, methane emissions have decreased substantially since the start of the Industrial Revolution some 150 years ago.

Before the fossil-fuel intensive Industrial Revolution took off, methane emissions were roughly 200 million tons annually; modern ruminants, including cows, goats, giraffes and other animals, emit between 50 million and 100 million tons of methane a year.

© Copyright (c) Reuters

Read more: Dinosaur flatulence may have caused Mesozoic global warming

Well, I guess that just blew the "Big Asteroid Crashing Into The Earth" theory all to &hit now didn't it!

Comment

• Well, well, here's an "in-house" weird but true... Rick hasn't posted a weird but true in over a month!!!

Comment

• Seriously?!?!?! Their time and money couldn't be spent on more worthwhile issues?

http://www.blinkx.com/watch-video/pr...qWKCdLqY5PoHTg

Comment

• Another dumb rule or law. Besides I know guy who sit down anyway. They say it is to relax! Relax what?? It just make the water in the loo touch you!
                          Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Comment

• DANG! Another "Page 3" thread:

Cops release list of best silly 911 calls of 2012 20 QMI Agency

First posted: Friday, December 28, 2012 01:16 PM EST | Updated: Friday, December 28, 2012 02:33 PM EST

Here is Chatham-Kent Police Service's top 12 silly calls of 2012.

12. A man came to the police station inquiring if anyone had turned in his lost dentures. He still had his top teeth, but he was looking for his bottoms. (Fotolia)

11. A man called police to report that his unlocked vehicle had been entered and someone had stolen his winning donut and coffee tab from Tim Hortons. (DAVID BLOOM/ QMI AGENCY)

10. A man called police to report two girls damaged his car. However, the evidence indicated the white substance on the car had been left by birds and not girls. (Fotolia)

9. A man called police claiming he had just been struck by a vehicle. The man even provided a description of the suspect vehicle. Through investigation, the man finally admitted that due to his intoxication, he tripped over a trailer hitch in the driveway. (Fotolia)

8. A man called 911 to report that there was a squirrel on his front porch acting suspicious. (Fotolia)

7. A man called 911 to report that there was a large snapping turtle on the sidewalk that appeared to be getting ready to jump into traffic. (Fotolia)

6. A woman called police to report that she has just been threatened by her downstairs neighbour. Apparently as the woman watered her plants, some water dripped down onto her neighbour's dog below. (Fotolia)

5. A 13-year-old youth called police to report that her mother would not allow her to do her own laundry. (Fotolia)

4. A man called police in January to complain about the weather report he just heard on a local radio station. They reported "slight flurries" when in fact he was driving in a "snowstorm." (Fotolia)

3. A woman called police to report that her drug dealer was lacing her crack, causing her to hallucinate and hear voices. She asked police to make him stop doing that. (Fotolia)

2. A woman called police to report that she was just attacked by a duck who was now sitting in a puddle watching her. The woman was not injured, and officers failed to locate the duck upon their arrival. (Fotolia)

1. Police were called to a family dispute between a father and his adult son. The son called police because his father told him to brush his teeth and he didn't want to. Police were able to defuse the situation by talking the 20-year-old son into brushing his teeth right away, thus making his 63-year-old father happy. (Fotolia)

The Chatham-Kent Police Service has released its top 12 silly calls of 2012, seen above.

Check out a few more memorable calls and excuses they encountered this past year:

Best Speeding Excuses of 2012

Officers are used to hearing creative excuses from drivers stopped for speeding. This year was no exception.

1. A 25-year-old woman was stopped for speeding and gave the excuse that she must have stepped on the accelerator as she adjusted her seating position to pass gas.

2. One woman tried to cover all the bases when she offered up the following 3 explanations all within 30 seconds…

a) Her ovary burst and she was on her way to hospital.

b) She was diabetic and needed insulin.

c) She had diarrhea and needed a washroom.

While these are all serious medical conditions, the woman finally admitted that she was not affected by any of the explanations given and apologized to the officer for speeding and lying.

Cutest Call of 2012

A three-year-old boy called 911 while watching the Disney Pixar blockbuster movie 'Cars.' The boy was concerned for the safety of Lightning McQueen when Chick Hicks was chasing him.
                            ==========

Ooompa Loompas on the lam following street attack: Cops 4

QMI Agency

First posted: Wednesday, January 02, 2013 01:50 PM EST | Updated: Wednesday, January 02, 2013 01:59 PM EST

Cops in Norwich, England, say they're on the lookout for two Oompa Loompas and their associates after an assault last Thursday.

Police said a female suspect and three males, including two dressed as the Charlie and the Chocolate Factory characters, attacked a man in the street at around 3:30 a.m.

The man, 28, had just come out of a kebab house when the colourful gang jumped him, police said.

Two of the male suspects had "painted orange faces and dyed green hair and were wearing hooped tops," police said.

"One of the males in the group then pushed the victim to the floor before he got up. He was then hit on the head, fell to the floor and hit again," police said. "The victim sustained a cut below his right eye, two black eyes, a small cut to the nose and a cut lip."

Anyone with intel on the Oompa Loompas is asked to call police.
                            Attached Files

Comment

• Out of beer? Please don’t call 911

Jeff Bell , Times Colonist January 4, 2013

Only phone 911 for emergencies. It may seem obvious, but a 911 call to the B.C. Ambulance Service won’t help you deal with insect problems.

And don’t call 911 when your beer supplies are gone, or if your cellphone is acting up.

Believe it or not, these are among the unusual reasons people had for contacting emergency-medical dispatchers at the provincial ambulance service in 2012. Here is a partial list:

• I think my house is infested with fleas. Can someone come and check it out?

• My husband is driving me crazy. I need you to take him away.

• I can’t get through to my cell provider.

• I swallowed toothpaste. I didn’t spit it out. Will it make me sick? No I don’t need an ambulance, but if I do, how much does it cost?

• I have a doctor’s appointment in the morning. Could you call me at 8 so I’m not late?

Funny? Sure, but also a good reminder that the 911 system is not something to trivialize, said Pauline Park, who heads the dispatch centre for Vancouver Island. Every call that comes in has to be assessed.

“It’s not for us to question somebody’s integrity.”

Most of the approximately 394,000 calls to 911 for an ambulance in the province last year were legitimate.

Park said those who call with unsuitable requests are reminded that the system is intended for medical emergencies.

“We do try and help some people, as well. If it’s a phone number they want for a hospital or a doctor’s office, it’s easier sometimes just to give them the numbers, and try to explain the use of 911.”

They are only so many 911 lines and 911 operators, Park said.

“Once they’re tied up dealing with these types of calls, possibly a genuine medical emergency can’t get through in a timely manner.”

[email protected]

© Copyright (c)

Comment

• Cat caught sneaking saw, cell phone into Brazil prison

RIO DE JANEIRO - A cat carrying a saw and a mobile phone was “detained” as it entered a prison gate in northeast Brazil, Brazilian media reported on Saturday.

Prison guards were surprised when they saw a white cat crossing the main gate of the prison, its body wrapped with tape. A closer look showed the feline also carried drills, an earphone, a memory card, batteries and a phone charger.

All 263 detainees in the prison of Arapiraca, a city of 215,000 people in the state of Alagoas, are considered suspect in the plot, which is being investigated by local police.

“It’s tough to find out who’s responsible for the action as the cat doesn’t speak,” a prison spokesperson told local paper Estado de S.Paulo.

The cat was taken to an animal disease center to receive medical care.

The incident took place on New Year’s day but was first reported by national media on Saturday.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X