Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

Firehouse.com Forum Rules & Guidelines

Forum Rules & Guidelines

Not Permitted or Tolerated:
• Advertising and/or links of commercial, for-profit websites, products, and/or services is not permitted. If you have a need to advertise on Firehouse.com please contact [email protected]
• Fighting/arguing
• Cyber-bullying
• Swearing
• Name-calling and/or personal attacks
• Spamming
• Typing in all CAPS
• “l33t speak” - Substituting characters for letters in an effort to represent a word or phrase. (example: M*****ive)
• Distribution of another person’s personal information, regardless of whether or not said information is public knowledge and whether or not an individual has permission to post said personal information
• Piracy advocation of any kind
• Racist, sexual, hate type defamatory, religious, political, or sexual commentary.
• Multiple forum accounts

Forum Posting Guidelines:

Posts must be on-topic, non-disruptive and relevant to the firefighting community. Post only in a mature and responsible way that contributes to the discussion at hand. Posting relevant information, helpful suggestions and/or constructive criticism is a great way to contribute to the community.

Post in the correct forum and have clear titles for your threads.

Please post in English or provide a translation.

There are moderators and admins who handle these forums with care, do not resort to self-help, instead please utilize the reporting option. Be mature and responsible for yourself and your posts. If you are offended by another member utilize the reporting option. All reported posts will be addressed and dealt with as deemed appropriate by Firehouse.com staff.

Firehouse.com Moderation Process:
Effective immediately, the following moderation process will take effect. User(s) whose posts are determined by Firehouse.com staff to be in violation of any of the rules above will EARN the following reprimand(s) in the moderation process:
1. An initial warning will be issued.
2. A Final Warning will be issued if a user is found to be in violation a second time.
3. A 3-day suspension will be issued if the user continues to break the forum rules.
4. A 45-day suspension will be issued if the user is found to be a habitual rule breaker.
5. Habitual rule breakers that have exhausted all of the above will receive a permanent life-time ban that will be strictly enforced. Reinstatement will not be allowed – there is no appeal process.

Subsequent accounts created in an effort to side-step the rules and moderation process are subject to automatic removal without notice. Firehouse.com reserves the right to expedite the reprimand process for any users as it is deemed necessary. Any user in the moderation process may be required to review and agree to by email the terms and conditions listed above before their account is re-instated (except for those that are banned).

Firehouse.com reserves the right to edit and/or remove any post or member, at any time, for any reason without notice. Firehouse.com also reserves the right to warn, suspend, and/or ban, any member, at any time, for any reason.

Firehouse.com values the active participation we have in our forums. Please ensure your posts are tasteful and tactful. Thank you very much for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Weird But True

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just Because Croften VFD Was There

Welcoming home an unexpected surprise: mom didn't know she was pregnant

By Ashley Degraaf - Cowichan News Leader Pictorial
    Published: October 21, 2011 12:00 PM

“I always said three’s a crowd, so why not add one more?”

That’s the happy-go-lucky, optimistic view of Crofton’s Emily Ratcliffe.

The 25-year-old gave birth to her fourth child, a seven-pound girl, Oct. 1 from her new pad in Crofton.

Ratcliffe’s easy-going nature is almost beyond belief considering the circumstances.

The local nurse didn’t know she was pregnant.

“We were moving that day and I was moving the last mattress before I just dropped it,” Ratcliffe, who was full-term in her pregnancy at that time, explained. “I just thought ‘I can’t do this anymore.’”

Ratcliffe’s back was “killing” her so she decided to take a break on the couch.

“The pain kept getting more and more severe and finally I started thinking ‘This feels kind of like labour pain.’”

Ratcliffe called her husband Tonnis Martindale, 26, who’d been down at the local pub grabbing some grub for dinner.

“I said ‘finish your dinner, you need to get home.’”

After that call is when Ratcliffe’s water broke.

“It’s all kind of a blur,” she explains. “It really all happened so fast after that.”

There are many key characters in Ratcliffe’s story.

One of them is friend Pam Kothlow, who’d lived at the house Ratcliffe and Martindale were moving into. She happened to be at the house gathering the last of her things that day.

She also happens to be a nurse

“She took over the phone call with 911 (placed by Tonnis who was back at home) and she pretty much walked through it all with them over the phone,” Ratcliffe explained.

Soon after, Crofton’s fire squad came to lend a hand.

Crew member Jeff Funk says assisting with a delivery was a first for most members of the local department.

“It was kind of unusual for us,” Funk said. “We never usually get a call like that.

“We showed up, and one of my first responders helped unwrap the umbilical cord and the baby was pretty much born seconds before we got there.”

The ambulance rolled up a couple minutes later and cut and clamped the cord.

“Everything was going good with the baby and the baby was crying and the whole neighbourhood was waiting and as soon as we came out of the house, they cheered and clapped for us,” Funk recalled. “It was pretty dramatic, just like in the movies really.”

Those same curious neighbours have been saviours for Ratcliffe and Martindale.

“Everyone has been really generous, dropping off food and diapers. The local pastor brought us a gift card too,” Ratcliffe said.

Looking back to the months after Ratcliffe conceived, the busy mother and nurse blames stress as the reason she didn’t realize she was carrying a child.

“We had a lot going on around that time,” she explained, noting her two-and-a-half year old daughter Gracie’s battle with neuroblastoma in her abdomen.

“We had a lot of appointments. We had physical therapy, occupational therapy, and speech therapist appointments, and doctors and visits to the B.C. Children’s Hospital too.”

Also, add being a mom to two more children, six-year-old son Mason and nine-year-old daughter Ryan.

Ratcliffe never noticed pregnancy symptoms, including typical morning sickness, nor her stomach changing shape.

For many women, the list of changes to their bodies while being pregnant goes on and on, but for Ratcliffe, the past nine months was just like any other time in her life, “just much more busier.”

“I just thought the pain in my lower back was because of my type of work. I’m always lifting heavy things,” she explained, noting she must have carried the baby more in her lower back.

“My weight has always been up and down too. And I always have had a lot of food sensitiveness,” she added, explaining why she may not have noticed the baby’s kicks, which can often be described as feeling like having a gassy, upset stomach.

Ratcliffe also admitted she’s watched TLC’s I Didn’t Know I Was Pregnant shows and, “I always laughed at the girls. How could they not know,” she said.

Her and Martindale weren’t planning on having a fourth child but are making due and counting their blessings.

They’re extremely thankful to everyone who came to their aid Oct. 1 and to those who are continuing to help them financially.

The couple named their new daughter Mariah Emily Martindale.

“She’s been doing very well and so far she’s a very good sleeper and not too fussy,” Ratcliffe said.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Comment

• Originally posted by MalahatTwo7 View Post
      Ratcliffe called her husband Tonnis Martindale, 26, who’d been down at the local pub grabbing some grub for dinner.
      How exactly do you all prepare grubs for dinner?
      I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Comment

• I find that if you boil them at 220 degrees for 30 minutes it brings out the full flavor... Add salt and pepper for the desired taste. My wife likes to add a pinch of garlic.
        HAVE PLAN.............WILL TRAVEL

Comment

• Originally posted by ChiefKN View Post
          How exactly do you all prepare grubs for dinner?
          They're Islanders man!
          If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

Comment

They're Islanders man!
            I've found stir fry is best for things like this. Nothing ever really looks quite right in a stir fry, but it is always darn tasty.

Comment

• {from Rock 95 Radio News, 9 November 2011}

Masculine Paint Colours?
              A Canadian paint company is changing the names of some of its popular colours, in order to appeal to more men. CIL Paints has re-named 27 of its paint colours, including Bone White, which has been changed to “Beer Foam” and Classic Liberty Red has become “Rust on my Truck “.

A spokeswoman for CIL Paints told the National Post, ‘‘Studies show that while a larger percentage of women tend to choose paint colors for their home, it’s often men who give the colors a final nod.”

Here are some of the other new colors:

5 O’Clock Shadow (Plateau Grey)
              Porcelain Throne (Pillar)
              Wingman (Stormy Seas)
              Bromance (Romance)
              Midlife Crisis (Silver Lace Vine)
              Zombie Apocalypse (Juliet’s Potion)
              Top Gun (Mystery Sound)
              Brute Force (Great Grey)
              Down & Dirty (Twilight Zone)
              Bro Code (Venetian Turquoise)
              Sucker Punch (Plum Escape)
              Rust on my Truck (Classic Liberty Red)

{at least they did not rename the "Granny-Smith Apple" to "Puke Green"}

Comment

• Long-forgotten Canadian find shakes up understanding of ancient humans

By Randy Boswell, Postmedia News November 17, 2011

A Canadian archeologist is being credited — nearly 50 years after the fact — with discovering a prehistoric petroglyph site in southern Egypt that is now being described as a "Lascaux-on-the-Nile" because of its similarity in age and style to France's world-famous, cave-wall gallery of Stone Age cattle, deer and horses.

The inscribed Egyptian images of extinct wild oxen, hippopotami, fish, gazelle and other animals — now firmly dated to a time in the late Pleistocene era at least 15,000 years ago — are being hailed as the oldest rock art in North Africa and as a pivotal discovery in the evolution of artistic behaviour by ancient humans.

It has taken nearly a half-century for experts to obtain a reliable age for the animal figures, which number close to 200 and are found etched into a sandstone cliff high above the banks of the Nile River at Qurta, about 600 kilometres southeast of Cairo.

That's where the young Canadian scientist Philip Smith — a University of Toronto archeologist from Fortune, N.L. — was working in 1962 and 1963 as part of a federally sponsored series of "rescue" digs aimed at preserving traces of ancient Egyptian settlements before their potential destruction from the building of the Aswan Dam.

Smith, who went on to a distinguished 40-year career at the University of Montreal, was probing an archeological site from thousands of years before the Egyptian pyramids were built when he "accidentally" discovered the carvings at Qurta.

Now 84 and long retired from archeological field work, Smith told Postmedia News on Thursday that he remembers scrambling up the cliffs to take a photograph of a dig site on the plain below when he suddenly spied scores of animals carved into the rocks.

"They were everywhere on the rock," Smith said. "But we weren't able to date it directly. At that time there was no way of dating art on the cliffs themselves."

He recalls, though, that he "speculated that it was certainly pre-pharaohnic — before the pharaohs — and probably pre-neolithic, before the introduction of agriculture. But, of course, I wasn't able to go much further back than that."

A lengthy article about the work of the Canadian Prehistoric Expedition in Egypt appeared in a 1965 issue of the Canadian Geographical Journal, forerunner of today's Canadian Geographic. Descriptions and pictures of the prehistoric rock art at Qurta were published at the time, but Smith was never able to pin down a solid date for when the carvings were made — and conventional wisdom about the evolution of art in the ancient world held that paleolithic Europe was almost certainly the seedbed of advanced human creativity.

Years passed. Then decades. No further study of the Qurta animal engravings was carried out, and even knowledge of their whereabouts was lost to a younger generation of scientists.

Then, about five years ago, Belgian archeologists working on paleolithic sites in Egypt found evidence of prehistoric rock art at a different site and began a broader study that turned up the Canadian research at Qurta from the early 1960s.

That led to the latest research on the Qurta carvings, to be published in the December edition of the journal Antiquity by a team of scientists from Belgium and the U.S.

They used a process called "optically stimulated luminescence" to test the wind-blown sediments accumulated on the etchings to determine the last time the most deeply buried grains of sand were exposed to sunlight.

Their study pegs the creation of the artwork at between 15,000 and 19,000 years ago. That places the Egyptian carvings in roughly the same timeframe as the famous cave paintings of animals at Lascaux and other Ice Age sites in Europe.

"The paleolithic rock art at Qurta reveals that the well-known cave art of the late Pleistocene in Europe was not an isolated phenomenon," study co-author John Coleman Darnell, a Yale University professor of Egyptology, states in a summary of the study. "Qurta puts North Africa firmly in the world of the earliest surviving artistic tradition, and shows that tradition to have been geographically more widespread than heretofore imagined."

The paper to be published in Antiquity suggests the fresh understanding of the Egyptian artwork first identified by Smith could force a major rethinking of the origins of art and the connections between Stone Age people in Europe and North Africa.

"Whereas it would be premature to speculate on any implications of this in terms of long-distance influence and intercultural contacts," the authors conclude, "it is clear that the Pleistocene age of the Qurta petroglyphs — as demonstrated by the present study — along with their degree of sophistication, similar to that of European Ice Age art, introduce a new set of challenges to archeological thought."

Smith, whose other work at ancient aboriginal digs in the U.S. and at paleolithic sites in Spain and France continues to generate interest among today's archeologists, said he's equally pleased his Egyptian find is still yielding new insights today.

"It is," he said, "very gratifying."

[email protected]

© Copyright (c) Postmedia News

Read more: http://www.canada.com/technology/Lon...#ixzz1e3nUKQ71

Comment

• Twenty people hurt as woman pepper sprays fellow Black Friday shoppers in Los Angeles

Postmedia News November 25, 2011 5:38 AM

Reuters: Twenty people, including children, were injured after a woman reportedly pepper-sprayed other shoppers at a Los Angeles-area Walmart store on Thursday as late-night Black Friday sales began.

It's the latest incident of violence on the mega-shopping-sales day in the U.S., which saw a Walmart employee trampled to death by shoppers in Valley Stream, New York, in 2008.

A fire captain quoted by the Los Angeles Times described Thursday night's incident as an act of "competitive shopping."

Los Angeles Fire Capt. James Carson told the Times the woman had intentionally armed herself with pepper spray to get the edge on her fellow shoppers at the store in the L.A. neighbourhood of Porter Ranch.

She used the spray in several areas of the store, he said.

Twenty customers, including children, were reportedly hurt in the incident. Victims reported irritation of the skin, eye and throat.

The woman behind the pepper spraying is still being sought by authorities, according to reports.

In 2008, a 34-year-old employee at a Walmart in Valley Stream, New York, was trampled to death by a crowd of about 2,000 shoppers, some of whom refused to stop their stampede after he was knocked down.

Last year, on Black Friday, a woman was arrested at a toy store in Wisconsin after threatening to shoot shoppers who reportedly had objected to her cutting in line.

Read more: http://www.canada.com/news/Twenty+pe...#ixzz1ejiv415e

Comment

Twenty people hurt as woman pepper sprays fellow Black Friday shoppers in Los Angeles

Postmedia News November 25, 2011 5:38 AM

Reuters: Twenty people, including children, were injured after a woman reportedly pepper-sprayed other shoppers at a Los Angeles-area Walmart store on Thursday as late-night Black Friday sales began.

It's the latest incident of violence on the mega-shopping-sales day in the U.S., which saw a Walmart employee trampled to death by shoppers in Valley Stream, New York, in 2008.

A fire captain quoted by the Los Angeles Times described Thursday night's incident as an act of "competitive shopping."

Los Angeles Fire Capt. James Carson told the Times the woman had intentionally armed herself with pepper spray to get the edge on her fellow shoppers at the store in the L.A. neighbourhood of Porter Ranch.

She used the spray in several areas of the store, he said.

Twenty customers, including children, were reportedly hurt in the incident. Victims reported irritation of the skin, eye and throat.

The woman behind the pepper spraying is still being sought by authorities, according to reports.

In 2008, a 34-year-old employee at a Walmart in Valley Stream, New York, was trampled to death by a crowd of about 2,000 shoppers, some of whom refused to stop their stampede after he was knocked down.

Last year, on Black Friday, a woman was arrested at a toy store in Wisconsin after threatening to shoot shoppers who reportedly had objected to her cutting in line.

Read more: http://www.canada.com/news/Twenty+pe...#ixzz1ejiv415e
                    MERRY CHRISTMAS. Peace and goodwill. Oh and now we are shooting at each other at the stores.
                    Last edited by Miller337; 11-25-2011, 07:49 PM. Reason: X-mas cheer update.

Comment

• Originally posted by Miller337 View Post
                      MERRY CHRISTMAS. Peace and goodwill. Oh and now we are shooting at each other at the stores.
                      Now ya gotta wear your under armour and a ballistics vest everytime you go shopping. Whuda thunk it?

Comment

• The final frontier for beer: Lager lovers launch first ever can into space ... then drink it when it falls back to Earth

By Mike O'brien

Last updated at 9:17 AM on 29th November 2011

Comments (13) Share

Two beer drinkers who always thought Natural Light was out of this world came up with the crazy idea of sending the first beer into space.

The goal, obviously, was to have the honour to be the first men ever to drink a beer that fell from space ... that's if it ever did and they could find it.

The drinkers, named only as Danny B and Rich T, went to Natural Light with their idea.

The pioneer beer: Boldly going where no alcoholic beverage has gone before
                        The company loved the idea of calling the product 'The first beer in space' and pledged to support the project on the Natty Light Facebook page.

First the pair had to build the spacecraft, which was named The Aluminum Fullcan.

A full can of Natty was placed inside a styrofoam cooler, along a sophisticated GPS that had a camera attached and some hand-warmers to prevent space freeze.

Ready for lift-off: Beer lovers Danny and Rich have packed with spacecraft, equipped with GPS, high def camera and both a full and empty can

All in the planning: Every detail was taken care of to ensure the mission was successful

They then one an empty can on the outside in front of the camera and attached it all to a weather balloon. (All full can would have exploded).
                        The result? A stunning video that would tug on the emotions of beer lovers everywhere.

According to Nattylight's Youtube channel, Danny and Rich launched the craft on November 17 at about 11am.

Away it goes: The weather balloon swiftly lifts its cargo into the skies

Still rising: The spacecraft makes it above the cloud line on its way to darkness

It rose to an altitude of 90,000ft plus with the ascent taking about two hours.

At about 1.45pm the Fullcan landed back on earth about 60 miles from where it was launched.

The boys took two hours to track it down by GPS because of the poor reception of the rural area where it landed.

The duo drank the beer and the following day Natty Light officially became The First Beer In Space, or at least just inside space.
                        =====

see the weblink for the photos and video:

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz1fNaNSeGF

Comment

• UPDATE: Cougar killed in downtown Sidney
                          By Christine van Reeuwyk - Peninsula News Review
                          Published: July 08, 2011 10:00 AM
                          Updated: July 12, 2011 12:15 PM

A conservation officer killed a cougar on the Sidney waterfront early Friday morning (July 8).

The Sidney North Saanich RCMP were called for a cougar spotted near the McTavish Road interchange around 12:30 a.m.

“They found the cougar and followed it … to the Town of Sidney, right downtown,” said Cpl. Chris Swain of Sidney North Saanich RCMP.

While police awaited conservation officers, the wildcat made its way down Beacon Avenue to the Beacon pier.

“We surrounded it and contained it until conservation arrived,” Swain said.

BC Conservation officers determined that it was unsafe to attempt to tranquilize the animal and it was shot and killed.

Last week, RCMP and BC Conservation issued a warning to the public about confirmed sightings of an adult cougar in Horth Hill.

“It is unknown at this time if the cougar shot and killed is the same cougar that has been spotted in the Horth Hill Region of North Saanich, however the proximity of the two events can not be ignored,” Swain said.

Police are still asking the public to remain vigilant and take the necessary precautions, to ensure they minimize the chance of interaction with a cougar. Closely supervise young children and pets, stay to well travelled routes, and avoid travelling alone.

Those who spot a cougar should stay calm and keep the cougar in view, according to Conservation literature. Pick up children immediately and back away slowly ensuring that the animal has a clear avenue of escape. Make yourself as large as possible and keep the cougar in front of you at all times; never turn your back on a cougar.

Sudden movement may provoke an attack. If a cougar shows interest or follows you, respond aggressively. Maintain eye contact with the cougar, show your teeth and make loud noise. Arm yourself with rocks or sticks as weapons. Crouch down as little as possible when bending down to pick up things off of the ground.

If a cougar attacks, fight back. Convince the cougar you are a threat and not prey. Use anything you can as a weapon. Focus your attack on the cougar’s face and eyes.

If you see a cougar near an urban area, or have a wildlife safety concern, call the BC Conservation Officer Service at 1-877-952-7277. Call 9-1-1 in an emergency situation, where the animal poses an immediate risk to human safety.

Comment

• Black bear hitched a ride in garbage truck to downtown Vancouver

By Ian Austin, The Province December 12, 2011

But on Monday that’s exactly what happened, as a black bear was spotted in a garbage bin aboard a truck in the 600-block of Cambie Street.

Conservation officer Alex Desjardins couldn’t believe his ears when he was dispatched to Cambie Street near Georgia Street, in the heart of the city.

“Initially I had a hard time believing it,” said Desjardins. “The dispatcher said, ‘It’s not April Fools.’

“I’ve done a deer at Waterfront Station, but never a bear.”

So there he was, near the Shark Club — which sees its share of animals — CBC’s downtown studios, and the Vancouver Post Office, searching for bruin.

“It’s a yearling, probably one or two years old,” said Desjardins, who tranquilized the youngster. “The driver had made a pickup on the North Shore, and he came downtown for another pickup.”

Desjardins believes the bear was foraging for food like many urban bears, prowling in the dumpster.

“That’s a common bear diet,” he said. “At this time of year, they know they have to get fat.”

The dumpster-diving bruin soon became a hitch-hiking bruin, driving across Burrard Inlet in the back of a garbage truck.

Desjardins said that while many bears are already hibernating, urban bears in mild climates often wait until late winter, fattening up as long as they can before curling up in a den for the remainder of the season.

“On the North Shore, where the temperature is mild, they’ll stay out, sometimes until late February,” said Desjardins. “If they’re not fat enough, they’ll die in their den.”

The bear has developed into an almost-instant urban legend status, complete with a Twitter tag — @downtown_bear.

“I’d like to thank that guy for catching me when I fell down off the truck. Bears don’t bounce that well, y’know?” was one of the first Tweets attributed to the hitch-hiker.

This is one urban bear that shouldn’t be back to the big city anytime soon.

“He’s going to be translocated, most likely to the Squamish Valley,” said Desjardins.

The Conservation Officer service line to call if you run into ‘wildlife conflicts’ is 1-877-952-7277.

[email protected]

twitter.com/ianaustin007

© Copyright (c) The Province

PHOTOCREDIT:

Conservation officer Alex Desjardins tranquilized a young bear that climbed into the back of a garbage truck that drove into Vancouver from the North Shore on Monday.Photograph by: ., Postmedia NewsDowntown Vancouver sees some wild characters, but seldom anything as wild as a black bear.
                            Attached Files

Comment

• Flying squirrel invades New Jersey emergency room

Associated Press November 30, 2011 06:15 AM Wednesday, November 30, 2011

(11-30) 06:15 PST Rahway, N.J. (AP)

Firefighters were needed stat after a flying squirrel went nuts in a New Jersey hospital's emergency room.

The squirrel kept launching itself from an 8-foot-high wall-mounted lamp into a glass wall after becoming trapped in a trauma room at Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital in Rahway Tuesday night.

Fire Department spokesman Capt. Ted Padavano told The Star-Ledger of Newark (http://bit.ly/vxBiL0 ) it would climb up on a light and would jump off and glide.

A pair of firefighters threw a blanket over the squirrel and released it into a wooded area outside the hospital.

Padavano believes there may be a nest in the building because it's the second time in two weeks that a flying squirrel got in the ER.
                              information from: The Star-Ledger, www.nj.com/starledger

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...#ixzz1hGYTxYvh

Comment

• It's just a skwirlie thing!

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse