Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

Firehouse.com Forum Rules & Guidelines

Forum Rules & Guidelines

Not Permitted or Tolerated:
• Advertising and/or links of commercial, for-profit websites, products, and/or services is not permitted. If you have a need to advertise on Firehouse.com please contact [email protected]
• Fighting/arguing
• Cyber-bullying
• Swearing
• Name-calling and/or personal attacks
• Spamming
• Typing in all CAPS
• “l33t speak” - Substituting characters for letters in an effort to represent a word or phrase. (example: M*****ive)
• Distribution of another person’s personal information, regardless of whether or not said information is public knowledge and whether or not an individual has permission to post said personal information
• Piracy advocation of any kind
• Racist, sexual, hate type defamatory, religious, political, or sexual commentary.
• Multiple forum accounts

Forum Posting Guidelines:

Posts must be on-topic, non-disruptive and relevant to the firefighting community. Post only in a mature and responsible way that contributes to the discussion at hand. Posting relevant information, helpful suggestions and/or constructive criticism is a great way to contribute to the community.

Post in the correct forum and have clear titles for your threads.

Please post in English or provide a translation.

There are moderators and admins who handle these forums with care, do not resort to self-help, instead please utilize the reporting option. Be mature and responsible for yourself and your posts. If you are offended by another member utilize the reporting option. All reported posts will be addressed and dealt with as deemed appropriate by Firehouse.com staff.

Firehouse.com Moderation Process:
Effective immediately, the following moderation process will take effect. User(s) whose posts are determined by Firehouse.com staff to be in violation of any of the rules above will EARN the following reprimand(s) in the moderation process:
1. An initial warning will be issued.
2. A Final Warning will be issued if a user is found to be in violation a second time.
3. A 3-day suspension will be issued if the user continues to break the forum rules.
4. A 45-day suspension will be issued if the user is found to be a habitual rule breaker.
5. Habitual rule breakers that have exhausted all of the above will receive a permanent life-time ban that will be strictly enforced. Reinstatement will not be allowed – there is no appeal process.

Subsequent accounts created in an effort to side-step the rules and moderation process are subject to automatic removal without notice. Firehouse.com reserves the right to expedite the reprimand process for any users as it is deemed necessary. Any user in the moderation process may be required to review and agree to by email the terms and conditions listed above before their account is re-instated (except for those that are banned).

Firehouse.com reserves the right to edit and/or remove any post or member, at any time, for any reason without notice. Firehouse.com also reserves the right to warn, suspend, and/or ban, any member, at any time, for any reason.

Firehouse.com values the active participation we have in our forums. Please ensure your posts are tasteful and tactful. Thank you very much for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Weird But True

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by E40FDNYL35 View Post
    July 30, 2003 -- A 90-year-old Oregon woman fed up with the cockroaches in her bedroom began roasting them alive with a portable blowtorch - and nearly burned her house down.
    Firefighters in Kenton raced to the home of Ona Bates to find flames pouring out. The home sustained $4,500 in damages.

"I've heard this one before. I don't know where they get the idea to do it," Fire Bureau spokesman Neil Heesacker told The Oregonian.
    What happen to them they look crazy..They don't even use their head instead..Every actions corresponds a reaction..
    Lifecoaching | Varmepumper | Rygestop

Comment

• Originally posted by lopsarong View Post
      What happen to them they look crazy..They don't even use their head instead..Every actions corresponds a reaction..
      Post and username...... Priceless. hehe

FM1
      I'm the one Fire and Rescue calls, when they need to be Rescued.

Originally posted by EastKyFF
      "Firemens gets antsies. Theys wants to goes to fires. Sometimeses they haves to waits."

Comment

• Horse dreams dashed, German teen turns to cow Luna
        By VERONIKA OLEKSYN, Associated Press
        (04-05) 04:53 PDT LAUFEN, Germany (AP) --

When Regina Mayer's parents dashed her hopes of getting a horse, the resourceful 15-year-old didn't sit in her room and sulk. Instead, she turned to a cow called Luna to make her riding dreams come true.

Hours of training, and tons of treats, cajoling and caresses later, the results are impressive: not only do the two regularly go on long rides through the southern German countryside, they do jumps over a makeshift hurdle of beer crates and painted logs.

"She thinks she's a horse," the golden-haired Mayer joked on a recent sunny afternoon as she sat atop the impassive brown-and-white, grass-munching cow.

It all started about two years ago, shortly after Luna was born on the Mayers' sprawling farm in the hamlet of Laufen, just minutes from the Austrian border.

They started off with walks in the woods during which Luna wore a halter. Then Mayer slowly got her cow more accustomed to human contact and riding equipment.

About six months later, it was time to see how Luna would respond to a rider on her back. Mayer sat in the saddle, and all went as planned _ at least at first.

"She was really well behaved and walked normally," said Mayer, decked out in riding gear. "But after a couple of meters, she wanted me to get off! You could see that she got a bit peeved."

Luna and Mayer are now soul mates, spending most afternoons together once the teen who aspires to become a nurse one day comes home from school.

Their extensive routine involves grooming, petting, jumps and a roughly one-hour ride. That's also the case in winter, when Mayer lovingly drapes a blanket over Luna to keep her warm.

It's a lot of work "but I enjoy it," Mayer said.

Her efforts have paid off.

Now, Luna understands commands such as "go," `'stand" and "gallop." If she feels like it, that is.

"When she wants to do something she does it, when she doesn't, she doesn't," said Mayer, who proudly says Luna thinks of her as her mother. "And she's often very headstrong but can also be really adorable."

Luna's stubborn streak meant that teaching her pony tricks wasn't always easy, Mayer noted, saying she sought tips from a cow expert in Switzerland on how to deal with "steering" problems.

Anne Wiltafsky, who trains cows near the Swiss city of Zurich, said Luna's talents are not particularly surprising and that, historically, it was quite common to ride cows and use them as workhorses.

"Especially younger ones can jump really well," Wiltafsky said in a telephone interview, adding that cows are lovable companions because they're easygoing, have strong nerves and are "unbelievably devoted" to people they like.

Being _ and owning _ a cow-turned-pony isn't always easy.

Take the somewhat skeptical neighbors, such as Martin Putzhammer, who had to be won over.

"At first I thought it was kind of weird _ a kid on a cow?" the 17-year-old said during a break from repairing his moped. "Had to get used to it but once I did I thought it was pretty funny."

While Mayer's friends quickly warmed to her passion after laughing at her, Luna's fellow cows weren't so open-minded.

"Cows don't really like her ... they're jealous because she always gets goodies," Mayer said.

And horses? Many run away in fright, but others often join Luna on rides.

"She really enjoys that and gets totally into it," Mayer said.

Mayer hasn't given up her hopes of having a horse and may soon get one. But she says Luna will always have a special place in her heart.

"She'll stay my darling," she said.

(04-05) 04:53 PDT Laufen, , Germany --
        Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...#ixzz1InRP98k3

PHOTOCREDIT: Associated Press April 5, 2011 04:53 AM Copyright Associated Press
        Regina Mayer jumps with her cow Luna over a hurdle in Laufen, southern Germany, on Tuesday, March 29, 2011. When Regina Mayer's parents dashed her hopes of getting a horse, the 15-year-old didn't go sulk in her room. Instead, the resourceful teen turned to a cow called Luna to make her dream come true. Hours of training and tons of treats, cajoling and caresses later, the results are impressive. Not only do the two regularly go on long rides together through the picturesque southern German countryside, they even do jumps over a homemade hurdle of beer crates and painted logs.
        Attached Files
        If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Comment

• Well.........

Originally posted by MalahatTwo7 View Post
          Squirrel attacking residents of Vt. neighborhood

Associated Press March 16, 2011 07:58 AM Copyright Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, redistributed, or posted on Firehouse.com. Wednesday, March 16, 2011

(03-16) 07:58 PDT Bennington, Vt. (AP)

A Vermont neighborhood is being stalked by a renegade gray squirrel.

Several people in Bennington say they've been attacked by a squirrel over the last few weeks.

Kevin McDonald tells the Bennington Banner he was shoveling snow when the squirrel jumped onto him. He says he threw the animal off, but it twice jumped back onto him. A game warden says there have been other reports, too.

One woman is being treated for exposure to rabies, but Vermont Public Health Veterinarian Robert Johnson says there's never been a case of a squirrel passing rabies to a human.

Johnson says it's possible the squirrel was raised as a pet and lost its fear of humans. He says the squirrel might "go ballistic" when it encounters people it doesn't recognize.

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...#ixzz1GxcJXiL5
          Maybe he's just looking for his nutz............
          Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
          In memory of
          Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
          Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Comment

• I took this photo last year in an Israeli church....

Is it me or is that man not all there?
            Attached Files
            Watch the time go right out the window ..... it starts with one thing, but in the end nothing really matters.
            sigpic

Comment

• Thieves apparently thinking safety first in Duncan area business break-in

Published: April 11, 2011 11:00 PM

A recent theft of specialty gear from Bluecoast Safety near Duncan has police seeking tips about the nighttime crime.

On April 3, North Cowichan/Duncan RCMP received a report about the burglary to Bluecoast located in the 3000 block of Allenby Road.

Once inside, crooks stole items including steel-toe work boots, high-visibility jackets and coveralls, flashlights, hearing protection, respirators, flame-retardant jackets and coveralls, harnesses and other rescue equipment, plus first-aid supplies, said Cpl. Kevin Day.

“The estimated value of the stolen items is in the tens of thousands of dollars.

“These items are readily identifiable as rescue and first-aid equipment.”
              Anyone with information about this break-in can call the North

Cowichan/Duncan RCMP at (250)748-5522, or Crimestoppers at 1-800-222-TIPS.
              Caller’s identity will remain anonymous, and tips can qualify for cash rewards.
              If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

Comment

• I think I have to call Bull$hit on the forensics statement. There is a forensics college in California that is working on that exact problem, and those working on the project would problably object.

Boater bumps into submerged SUV at Cattle Pt.
                By Erin Cardone - Oak Bay News Published: April 11, 2011 4:00 PM Updated: April 11, 2011 4:47 PM

A boat owner got a jolt Friday as he launched his vessel at Cattle Point and hit an SUV.

At about 10:30 a.m., the boat driver was reversing into the water at the launch when his boat struck a vehicle submerged in the water.

Oak Bay police were called and a tow truck arrived to haul the SUV out. Once it was on dry land, officers determined the SUV had been stolen from an address on Fern Street in Victoria, sometime in the previous two days. A rock had been used to weigh down the gas pedal in order to drive the vehicle off the boat launch.

Police have no suspects, said Const. Laurence Riel, but officers are working with the vehicle’s owner to come up with ideas.

“Once it gets in the water, most of the forensic (evidence) on the vehicle is gone because of the salt water,” he said.The vehicle was likely submerged in the early hours of Friday, as it would have been easily spotted at low tide, Riel said.

The boat was not damaged.

[email protected][/email]

Comment

• Two Feet Figured Out

There is a long standing series of posts about this somewhere here:

B.C. coroner identifies two severed feet found washed ashore
                  Postmedia News May 24, 2011 2:04 PM

The mystery of two severed feet that washed ashore on British Columbia islands in 2008 has been solved.

The BC Coroners Service said Tuesday that the feet — each found in a size 11 Nike running shoe — belonged to a 21-year-old Surrey resident who was reported missing in January of 2004.

The individual's gender is not known,

Foul play is not suspected. The coroner says the feet became separated from the body through natural processes.

The feet were found on Feb. 8 and June 16, 2008, on Valdez Island and Westham Island.

Seven feet belonging to five people were found on B.C. shorelines between August 2007 and October 2009, the Coroners Service said.

Four of the feet have been identified as belonging to three people; the origins of three other feet, belonging to one man and one woman, are unknown.

The BC Coroners Service said the deaths are not considered suspicious.

© Copyright (c) The Province

Comment

• Seeing Eye Dogs? Get a Load Of Seeing Eye SHEEP

Seeing-eye sheep, goats guide blind quarter-horse

Reuters May 24, 2011 Michelle Feldstein was prepared to provide special accommodations for the blind horse she recently added to the flightless ducks, clawless cats and homeless llamas inhabiting her animal shelter in Montana.

But nothing could prepare her for the 40-legged, seeing-eye entourage that accompanied "Sissy," a sightless, 15-year-old quarter-horse.

"Sissy came with five goats and five sheep - and they take care of her," said Feldstein, the force behind Deer Haven Ranch, a private rescue facility she runs with her husband, Al, on 120 hectares north of Yellowstone National Park.

The seeing-eye sheep and guard goats are never far from the mare, and never lead her astray. They shepherd her to food and water, and angle the horse into her stall amid blowing snows or driving rains.

"They round her up at feeding time and then move aside to make sure she gets to the hay," Feldstein said. "When you watch them, you have to wonder, why can't people do that?"

© Copyright (c) The Victoria Times Colonist

Comment

• Dutch Railway Station Installs Slide For Busy Passengers
                      Updated: 7/20/11 01:37 PM ET

Dutch train passengers running late to their appointments have a quicker option for getting across Overvecht Station - and that option isn't a new flight of stairs or an elevator.

Design firm HIK Ontwerpers recently installed a slide in the newly renovated station on the Utrecht-Kampen railway to add a little fun to the everyday lives of commuters. Officially called a "transfer accelerator," the slide was installed in this underutilized area as part of HIK Ontwerpers ongoing urban installations series.

Past installations in Utrecht include illuminated poetry light plates, an outdoor public kitchen and a cheeky little car filled with astroturf called "Rent-a-park."

Comment

• RP magazine Issue 35 8/9/11

In Australia firefighter took 40 minutes to bring a blaze under control at a house in Burleigh Waters on the Gold Coast after the elderly resident put her pyjamas in the microwave to warm them up.

Dear god I hope I never get that senile!
                        It's not the destination, but the journey that matters.

Stay safe

Comment

• Originally posted by MaryJane69 View Post
                          RP magazine Issue 35 8/9/11

In Australia firefighter took 40 minutes to bring a blaze under control at a house in Burleigh Waters on the Gold Coast after the elderly resident put her pyjamas in the microwave to warm them up.

Dear god I hope I never get that senile!
                          Hahahahaha. Thats as bad as a strucuture fire I attended 25 December, 2000. I was on my way home from a Base Duty Watch when the page came through at around 0730. Paged for a chimney fire. Seems the family was enjoying their Christmas gift opening, and were stuffing the fireplace with the wrappings. Well that caused the chimney fire, but what made it worse was they tried to stuff sleeping bags down the flue to snuff it out.... that caused the room to fill with smoke. That was when we got paged out.

Sadly, Age had nothing to do with this incident. Fortunately no one was hurt, except pride, and only minor smoke damage to the home. Thanks in part, I think because the living room was a vaulted ceiling design.

Comment

• Just heard this on the radio. It was recorded from a call yesterday (5 Sep):

Radio: We spoke with this caller yesterday. "How you doing out there Brian?"

Brian (is an old guy): "Well this has not been a good year."

Radio: "Oh? Why is that?"

Brian: "Last weekend, my house burned down. Right to the ground."

Radio: "WOW! Sorry to hear that Brian."

Brian: "Ya. I woke up in the middle of the night. The house was full of smoke. I managed to find the phone, and remembered that you have to include the area code when dialling, so I dialled 705-911. No one answered. I kept trying, and eventually I stuck my rotary dial phone through the window and kept trying. Eventually the phone cord burned through. By the time emergency services showed up, the house had burned to the ground."

NOTE: Ontario moved to 10 digit dialling about a year ago...... but this of course did not affect 911 dialling services.

Comment

• Just damn...
                              HAVE PLAN.............WILL TRAVEL

Comment

• Originally posted by MalahatTwo7 View Post
                                Just heard this on the radio. It was recorded from a call yesterday (5 Sep):

Radio: We spoke with this caller yesterday. "How you doing out there Brian?"

Brian (is an old guy): "Well this has not been a good year."

Radio: "Oh? Why is that?"

Brian: "Last weekend, my house burned down. Right to the ground."

Radio: "WOW! Sorry to hear that Brian."

Brian: "Ya. I woke up in the middle of the night. The house was full of smoke. I managed to find the phone, and remembered that you have to include the area code when dialling, so I dialled 705-911. No one answered. I kept trying, and eventually I stuck my rotary dial phone through the window and kept trying. Eventually the phone cord burned through. By the time emergency services showed up, the house had burned to the ground."

NOTE: Ontario moved to 10 digit dialling about a year ago...... but this of course did not affect 911 dialling services.
                                The punch line is a bit weak... oh wait, was this for real?
                                I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X