Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

Firehouse.com Forum Rules & Guidelines

Forum Rules & Guidelines

Not Permitted or Tolerated:
• Advertising and/or links of commercial, for-profit websites, products, and/or services is not permitted. If you have a need to advertise on Firehouse.com please contact [email protected]
• Fighting/arguing
• Cyber-bullying
• Swearing
• Name-calling and/or personal attacks
• Spamming
• Typing in all CAPS
• “l33t speak” - Substituting characters for letters in an effort to represent a word or phrase. (example: M*****ive)
• Distribution of another person’s personal information, regardless of whether or not said information is public knowledge and whether or not an individual has permission to post said personal information
• Piracy advocation of any kind
• Racist, sexual, hate type defamatory, religious, political, or sexual commentary.
• Multiple forum accounts

Forum Posting Guidelines:

Posts must be on-topic, non-disruptive and relevant to the firefighting community. Post only in a mature and responsible way that contributes to the discussion at hand. Posting relevant information, helpful suggestions and/or constructive criticism is a great way to contribute to the community.

Post in the correct forum and have clear titles for your threads.

Please post in English or provide a translation.

There are moderators and admins who handle these forums with care, do not resort to self-help, instead please utilize the reporting option. Be mature and responsible for yourself and your posts. If you are offended by another member utilize the reporting option. All reported posts will be addressed and dealt with as deemed appropriate by Firehouse.com staff.

Firehouse.com Moderation Process:
Effective immediately, the following moderation process will take effect. User(s) whose posts are determined by Firehouse.com staff to be in violation of any of the rules above will EARN the following reprimand(s) in the moderation process:
1. An initial warning will be issued.
2. A Final Warning will be issued if a user is found to be in violation a second time.
3. A 3-day suspension will be issued if the user continues to break the forum rules.
4. A 45-day suspension will be issued if the user is found to be a habitual rule breaker.
5. Habitual rule breakers that have exhausted all of the above will receive a permanent life-time ban that will be strictly enforced. Reinstatement will not be allowed – there is no appeal process.

Subsequent accounts created in an effort to side-step the rules and moderation process are subject to automatic removal without notice. Firehouse.com reserves the right to expedite the reprimand process for any users as it is deemed necessary. Any user in the moderation process may be required to review and agree to by email the terms and conditions listed above before their account is re-instated (except for those that are banned).

Firehouse.com reserves the right to edit and/or remove any post or member, at any time, for any reason without notice. Firehouse.com also reserves the right to warn, suspend, and/or ban, any member, at any time, for any reason.

Firehouse.com values the active participation we have in our forums. Please ensure your posts are tasteful and tactful. Thank you very much for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Weird But True

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by MalahatTwo7 View Post
    Boy allegedly steals from ambulance as mom treated

Tuesday, June 30, 2009 (06-30) 18:04 PDT Elizabethton, Tenn. (AP)

A boy was arrested over the weekend on charges of stealing from an ambulance while paramedics were treating his mother. The Johnson City Press reported the boy, who was not named because he is a juvenile, was charged with stealing $5,000 in medical supplies. That includes an oxygen tank and an oxygen sensor machine.

He is also accused of stealing a purse belonging to one of the rescue workers and of breaking into a car several hours earlier and stealing credit cards, a cellular phone and a PlayStation portable video game.

The boy was taken to the Juvenile Detention Center in Johnson City.

Information from: Johnson City Press, www.johnsoncitypress.com
    Man, that is just wrong on sooooo many different levels. Somebody needs a butt whoopin'.
    Change We Can Believe In.

Comment

• This 4-horse chariot is at the Museu de la Xocolata {museum of the chocolate} in Barcelona and, believe it or not, it's made entirely of.....yeah, you guessed it....chocolate.
      Last edited by firecat1; 11-17-2009, 10:48 AM.

Comment

• 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9!

Numerical Wonder Happening Today

Blink and you'll miss this once in a century event

By LORI PREUITT

Updated 12:22 PM EDT, Wed, Jul 8, 2009

Number geeks will gawk at this special time and date.

Looking for a new piece of trivia to impress your coworkers? Here's one for you: Today, just after 12:30 p.m. (wherever you are), a once in a lifetime numerical wonder will happen.

Numbers Geeks Rejoice in Wonderous Date

Watch VideoLovers of numbers will be happy today, especially at a specific hour, minute and second.
        The alignment of numbers in date and time will read 12:34:56 07/08/09. (That's "1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9")

And for once, no one seems to think it will mean a darn thing cosmically.

Mathematicians and numerologists agree that it is a simple fact of date and time. And it only works this way in the United States. In Europe, they put the date before the month, so there is no numerical miracle happening there -- until next month.

Still it was enough for a 23-year-old in Texas man to put together a Facebook page late yesterday called 12:34:56 7/8/9.

It immediately got hundreds of people logging on with dozens of members. Five other Facebook pages on the same subject have since popped up. And, depending if you use 24-hour military time or not, you already missed the one that happened a half hour after midnight.

Alas, this cosmonumerological event will only last one second, but still, it if find yourself waiting for a meeting or conference call to start today, here is a chance for a once in a lifetime subject to wow those sitting around the table marking time with you.

Now you know.
        Attached Files
        If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Comment

• Dazed deer trashes toy store

Jill White was working at Kaboodles Toy Store on Government Street when a young deer came bounding in at 10:30 Tuesday morning.
          Roszan Holmen/News staff

Published: July 07, 2009 5:00 PM
          Updated: July 07, 2009 5:29 PM

1 Comment Maybe the little guy just wanted to come in for a toy.

In any case, Jill White didn't believe her ears when a customer told her that a young deer came inside her Government Street toy store at 10:30 a.m. Tuesday.

"Because they weren't from around here, maybe they thought it was a deer but it was actually just a big dog," said White, recalling her thoughts of the incident.

"Suddenly this deer just jumps out at me and I'm like, 'oh my gosh!' and I screamed, of course," said the employee at Kaboodles Toy Store near Johnson Street.

The deer then leapt into the back room leaving a small trail of blood.

Although the manager tried to close the door to contain it, the animal burst through. It circled the narrow aisles several times before leaving the store, sending yo-yos and other toys flying.

"Of course the children and everyone around was screaming and scared and made the deer scream," White said, pointing to the marks on the floor made by the deer's hoofs.

For the Victoria police, the deer hunt started at 9:30 a.m. when the wild animal was hit by a car by 1810 Blanshard St.

When officers arrived, the deer was grazing on some nearby grass, but bolted when approached.

After making an appearance at Kaboodles, the deer was later spotted at Centennial Square and the Johnson Street Bridge, said Sgt. Grant Hamilton.

Police are advising the public not to approach the deer.

"Let it be, it's probably scared," Hamilton said.

Conservation officer Peter Pauwels said the last deer spotted in the downtown core was two years ago when people reported seeing one running along Pandora Avenue.

"It's not really a great place for a deer to be," Pauwels said. "Hopefully it finds its way out on its own."

[email protected]
          September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
          IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
          Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

Comment

• Man caught in the buff at N. Indiana cemetery

Tuesday, July 14, 2009(07-14) 18:00 PDT Elkhart, Ind. (AP)

A 51-year-old man told a police officer he was naked in a northern Indiana cemetery because he had taken off his wet clothes after checking on his in-laws' grave and then wanted a closer look at some flowers. The officer was off duty and jogging through Rice Cemetery in Elkhart Sunday afternoon when he saw the naked man get into a truck and drive away. The officer later tracked down the Mishawaka man from his license plate number.

The man said he had been golfing all day and that he undressed in his truck because his underwear was wet. He said he left his truck naked to look at the flowers because he did not have his glasses.

He was arrested on a preliminary misdemeanor charge of public indecency.
            If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

Comment

• Drunk drivers drop in at the local police station

By Kim Bolan, Canwest News Service July 21, 2009

It was happy hour at the Abbotsford police station Sunday when an impaired driver showed up at the front counter on his own volition.

The 22-year-old man arrived with his 21-year-old female companion to pick up the woman's drivers' licence which had been seized by police who issued a roadside suspension for drinking driving.

The couple parked their pickup outside the station in a parking area marked "police vehicles only." When the woman asked for her licence, "it was apparent that she had been drinking prior to her arrival," Const. Ian MacDonald said in a release.

When the driver failed a sobriety test, the pickup was towed and the male driver then had his licence seized by police.

© Copyright (c) The Victoria Times Colonist
              Last edited by MalahatTwo7; 07-21-2009, 09:52 AM.

Comment

• Eeeeeeeeewwwwwwwwww

Naked Cowboy runs for NYC mayor - in his underwear
                By VERENA DOBNIK, Associated Press Writer

Wednesday, July 22, 2009(07-22) 15:40 PDT New York (AP)

The Naked Cowboy wants to be the city's mayor, promising transparency in politics — while running almost buck naked.

"I know how to do more with less," said entertainer Robert Burck, clad as usual in a pair of white briefs, boots and a cowboy hat, as he announced his bid Wednesday in Times Square.

On most days, the 38-year-old ordained minister collects tourists' tips while posing for photos with "Naked Cowboy" emblazoned across his underwear, cracking jokes and making up funny songs on the guitar strapped across his bare chest.

He's running as a write-in candidate against Mayor Michael Bloomberg, a buttoned-down billionaire vying for his third term.

The Naked Cowboy insists he doesn't need clothes to campaign.

"You're not going to be seeing me buying a whole new suit because I'm running for mayor — not on the city's dime," he said.

Besides, he said, "Being naked is a whole lot more than having no clothes on: It's about transparency in politics, it's about telling the naked truth."

Last year, the Naked Cowboy called Bloomberg "an excellent choice" for mayor. Now, Burck says that he, himself, would be the better candidate.

"I go out into the public every day and deal with every type of person in the world — black, white, brown, plaid," Burck said.

For the past decade, he's earned as much as $1,000 a day working the square from about 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. and donating some earnings to charity.

Burck has a political science degree from the University of Cincinnati. He's also written several self-published motivational books and cut a country music album.

On Wednesday, he reeled off his promises as mayor, including $10,000 loans to 1,000 small businesses at no interest, energy efficiency (he doesn't use air-conditioning), and taxi call buttons on street corners.

He also wants to build a Times Square chapel, marrying both straight and gay couples there in a "billion-dollar wedding business that will rival Las Vegas."

As for campaign funds, the frugal candidate said: "I have no expenses. I own 40 pairs of underwear, a car and a suitcase."

Then he took a quick poke at his wealthy opponent: "He's got billions and what does he buy with it? Publicity."

In Times Square, plastered with neon publicity, Burck was a traffic-stopper.

Tourists atop double-decker buses cheered him and a bike messenger howled his support.

"He really talks to people," said Lew Blevins, who runs a nearby band equipment shop. "He's an energetic person who really cares about New York City — it's heartfelt."

On the Web: Naked Cowboy's Web site, www.nakedcowboyformayor.com

(This version CORRECTS university that Burck attended to University of Cincinnati, not University of Ohio, per revised information from campaign manager.)
                Attached Files

Comment

• 'Jesus' Arrested In Chehalis

Richard Thompson KIRO 7 Eyewitness News

Posted: 10:17 am PDT July 22, 2009

CHEHALIS, Wash. -- KIRO 7 Eyewitness News has learned a man who was claiming to be Jesus Christ was arrested in Chehalis early Wednesday morning.

Police said a woman woke up to find a man walking down the hallway of her home. She demanded to know who he was. The man said he was Jesus Christ and was lost.

The frightened woman then told the man to get out of her house.

After leaving her home, the man went to the woman's pickup truck and removed some items, police said.

The woman again shouted at the man and asked him what he was doing. The man said he had taken her truck for a drive earlier and was just removing his belongings from inside. He promised not to take the vehicle again.

The woman called police, who arrested the man and transported him to jail.

Chehalis police said drug use may have been a factor in the man's behavior.

Copyright 2009 by KIROTV.com.

Comment

• Burglars avoid jail by working for police

24.07.09 Convicted burglars are being given a new way of avoiding jail - going to work for the police.

Twelve prolific offenders are giving crime prevention tips to Hertfordshire Constabulary and in return are given a second chance.

As part of the scheme, criminals agree to admit all their past offences and become "security consultants" for the force.

For three years they will work as advisors while also undergoing drug and alcohol rehabilitation.

The crime prevention advice they have delivered so far includes telling residents to lock doors and windows, put their keys away and close their curtains.

They also suggested locking garden tools in the shed, and not leaving keys in the door if you have a cat flap.

Detective Superintendent Mark Drew said: "This new approach has given us an invaluable insight into how burglars operate.

"It provides us with specific and accurate information which can help us tackle burglary, and gives us an 'insider's' view on how to deter a burglar.

"The information we have obtained has already proved extremely useful, shown by a drop in the current level of home burglaries.

"We regularly issue advice to residents to help prevent them from becoming a victim of a burglar - not leaving gardening tools lying about, for example.

"But if it was the burglars themselves who told you that the one piece of equipment they could ask to find outside your house is a spade, I think that might give people a good reason to lock it away."

A force spokesman denied the programme was a "soft option" and said if the offenders returned to crime they would be sent back to court.

Details of the scheme were reported in Police Review magazine which interviewed two criminals, identified as "John", aged 37, and "Neil", 25.

John, who admitted more than 200 offences, said: "Lock your shed. If you leave a spade or fork in your garden , it is going in the window.

"I have gone through cat flaps - I just removed the flap and crawled through.

"Do not leave your back door key in the door if you have a cat flap because I can just put my hand through and reach the key."

Comment

• something's fishy around here

http://www.geekologie.com/2008/07/fo...adies_fish.php

For The Geekologie Ladies: Fishy Pedicures Jul 22 2008

"First, there was the 24K gold facial, and now, fish pedicures. Apparently they're really taking off in the Washington D.C. area and women are flocking to the Yvonne Hair and Nails Salon to let Garra rufa "doctor fish" carp eat the dead skin and calluses from their feet. I can almost guarantee those little guys would go belly up if I stuck my boats in the tank, but maybe these women take better care of their feet than I do.

Ho (the salon owner) said the hot water in which the fish thrive doesn't support much plant or aquatic life, so they learned to feed on whatever food sources were available _ including dead, flaking skin. They leave live skin alone because, without teeth, they can't bite it off.
                      Ho believes his is the only salon in the country to offer the treatment, which costs $35 for 15 minutes and $50 for 30 minutes. The spa has more than 1,000 fish, with about 100 in each individual pedicure tank at any given time.

Wow, $50 to set your feet in a fishtank for 30 minutes? What's the world coming to? I mean, besides a robot apocalypse? I'll tell you what, you come over to my place and I'll let you set your feet in my fishtank for $25. Of course, you only get 10 minutes. But trust me -- the piranhas are far more efficient than a bunch of crappy carp. Seriously, 30 minutes and they'd be down to the bone. I've also got a snapping turtle if you want your nails done.

UPDATE: The grizzly should be ready to cut hair by August, call for an appointment."

Comment

• The Me-ow Generation vs. man's best friend

[email protected]

By Jack Knox, Times Colonist August 16, 2009

A pet cat is being hailed a hero after saving a man from his burning home in Bracknell, England. As black smoke filled Andrew Williams' bungalow, his neighbour's cat Hugo came through a cat-flap and raised the alarm by clawing at the father-of-two's face.

-- BBC News

Personally, I think Hugo was just coming in for the kill.

Smelled the smoke, peeked inside, saw the homeowner wasn't moving, figured he'd snatch the guy's wallet before the fire finished him off. Just bad luck that Andrew woke up.

It was Hugo's own fault, really -- guess he couldn't resist the urge to get in a couple of swipes while the man lay there, defenceless. Next thing you know, a slightly sooty Andrew is sucking oxygen on the lawn and Hugo is being hailed as a hero cat, which is kind of like being a good Samaritan or bad Rotarian, the exception that runs counter to stereotype.

That is, cats aren't exactly famous for their selfless devotion to others. The concept of sacrifice is foreign to felines. They belong to the Me-ow Generation. You'd never see a cat take a bullet for the president.

True, the Times Colonist's Carla Wilson once fielded a call from a reader who insisted that his cat had saved his life by leaping up and performing pussyfooted chest compressions during a heart attack (I'm not making this up), but this claim was written off as a touching, albeit frightening, case of self-delusion. (The guy probably spends his days sitting by the mailbox, waiting for the Nigerian general's cheque to arrive.) CPR? No, Fluffy was just frisking the shirt pockets for cigarettes.

But dogs! Well, the world is full of heartwarming tales of loyal labs and courageous collies charging to the rescue, pulling babies from the lake, taking on cougars, busting pool cues and backing up their owners in bar fights.

Admittedly, my own beloved (and, alas, departed) golden retriever Spot would never have raced into a burning building to save me, but at least he would have played fetch with the firefighters (who, it should be pointed out, keep Dalmatians, not Siamese).

This week, the newspapers were full of stories quoting Stanley Coren, a UBC psychology professor and author of several books on canine behaviour, whose research shows that the smartest dogs have the mental ability of a 21/2-year-old child (whereas the dumbest have the intelligence of a middle-aged husband.)

Dogs found among the canniest breeds -- border collies, Alsatians, retrievers, poodles -- have a vocabulary of about 250 words and signals, while the least intelligent -- Pekingese, beagles, Afghans, Bush Republicans -- spend a lot of time watching Glenn Beck on Fox News. Dogs can also perform very simple math, which is more than you can say for Gordon Campbell, who kept insisting during the election campaign that B.C.'s budget deficit would be no more than $495 million.

Whether this makes dogs smarter than cats, I don't know, or care. Cat owners might dismiss dogs as servile beasts, but the attributes that we really cherish in a mutt -- loyalty, friendliness, courage, unconditional love, the ability to remain poker-faced while breaking wind -- are the same that we value in humans.

"The average dog is a nicer person than the average person," Andy Rooney once said. And affectionate? Check out YouTube's "Randene Neill gets accosted by dog," which was live on Vancouver's Global TV last Tuesday, if you want to see affectionate.

Perhaps that's why so many of our canine companions have human names. A newly published book, Move Over Rover: What To Name Your Pup When the Ordinary Just Won't Do, lists the most popular choices for dogs, including Max, Molly, Sam, Lucy, Sadie, Cody and a bunch of other names that sound like a Grade 6 roll call. My friend Andy Dunstan just adopted a dog that he called Jack, mostly because it scratches itself in public and drinks from the toilet, which Andy said reminds him of someone.

But let's give cats their due. In England, they're saying Andrew Williams owes his life to one. He might want to check for his wallet, though.

© Copyright (c) The Victoria Times Colonist

Comment

• August 18, 2009 -- This Brooklyn man has a unique way to call for his dinner. Andrei Melnikov a computer tech who lives in Midwood, was amazed to discover that when he left his cellphone near his electricity-triggered gas stove, the oven would turn on if he got a call. "It happens like a remote control every time it's close. Sometimes it happens from three feet away," said Melnikov. A Maytag repairman yesterday prescribed an electronic suppressor to block the signal.
                          ALL GAVE SOME BUT SOME GAVE ALL
                          NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
                          CAPT. Frank Callahan Ladder 35 *
                          LT. John Ginley Engine 40
                          FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40
                          FF. Jimmy Giberson Ladder 35
                          FF. Michael Otten Ladder 35 *
                          FF. Steve Mercado Engine 40 *
                          FF. Kevin Bracken Engine 40 *
                          FF. Vincent Morello Ladder 35
                          FF. Michael Roberts Ladder 35 *
                          FF. Michael Lynch Engine 40
                          FF. Michael Dauria Engine 40

Charleston 9
                          "If my job was easy a cop would be doing it."
                          *******************CLICK HERE*****************

Comment

• I'm sure there's a story behind it but none was posted... sad, just...sad.
                            Last edited by firecat1; 11-17-2009, 10:49 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by firecat1 View Post
                              I'm sure there's a story behind it but none was posted... sad, just...sad.
                              Actually Malahat VFD has a similar story. This goes back to about 2yrs before I joined the unit. The Chief was taking the Brush Truck into Victoria for maintenance, 1978 Dodge Powerwagon 4x4. Apparently it had MANY electrical and mechanical faults, and it was about to experience its final.

Chief was almost out of the district when the truck decided it had done its thing and had enough. I dont recall the exact details but there was a fire, electrical, I think.... anyhow, you do that math. It had a REALLY KUUL flame job..... :0

Comment

• I can't believe how stupid people can be and all over a cockroach of all things!

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X