Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

Firehouse.com Forum Rules & Guidelines

Forum Rules & Guidelines

Not Permitted or Tolerated:
• Advertising and/or links of commercial, for-profit websites, products, and/or services is not permitted. If you have a need to advertise on Firehouse.com please contact [email protected]
• Fighting/arguing
• Cyber-bullying
• Swearing
• Name-calling and/or personal attacks
• Spamming
• Typing in all CAPS
• “l33t speak” - Substituting characters for letters in an effort to represent a word or phrase. (example: M*****ive)
• Distribution of another person’s personal information, regardless of whether or not said information is public knowledge and whether or not an individual has permission to post said personal information
• Piracy advocation of any kind
• Racist, sexual, hate type defamatory, religious, political, or sexual commentary.
• Multiple forum accounts

Forum Posting Guidelines:

Posts must be on-topic, non-disruptive and relevant to the firefighting community. Post only in a mature and responsible way that contributes to the discussion at hand. Posting relevant information, helpful suggestions and/or constructive criticism is a great way to contribute to the community.

Post in the correct forum and have clear titles for your threads.

Please post in English or provide a translation.

There are moderators and admins who handle these forums with care, do not resort to self-help, instead please utilize the reporting option. Be mature and responsible for yourself and your posts. If you are offended by another member utilize the reporting option. All reported posts will be addressed and dealt with as deemed appropriate by Firehouse.com staff.

Firehouse.com Moderation Process:
Effective immediately, the following moderation process will take effect. User(s) whose posts are determined by Firehouse.com staff to be in violation of any of the rules above will EARN the following reprimand(s) in the moderation process:
1. An initial warning will be issued.
2. A Final Warning will be issued if a user is found to be in violation a second time.
3. A 3-day suspension will be issued if the user continues to break the forum rules.
4. A 45-day suspension will be issued if the user is found to be a habitual rule breaker.
5. Habitual rule breakers that have exhausted all of the above will receive a permanent life-time ban that will be strictly enforced. Reinstatement will not be allowed – there is no appeal process.

Subsequent accounts created in an effort to side-step the rules and moderation process are subject to automatic removal without notice. Firehouse.com reserves the right to expedite the reprimand process for any users as it is deemed necessary. Any user in the moderation process may be required to review and agree to by email the terms and conditions listed above before their account is re-instated (except for those that are banned).

Firehouse.com reserves the right to edit and/or remove any post or member, at any time, for any reason without notice. Firehouse.com also reserves the right to warn, suspend, and/or ban, any member, at any time, for any reason.

Firehouse.com values the active participation we have in our forums. Please ensure your posts are tasteful and tactful. Thank you very much for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Weird But True

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Now whoda thunk it eh? Us'ns up north here have been saying this for YEARS.

Napolitano: 9/11 terrorists did not enter US from Canada

Wed May 27, 12:45 PM

OTTAWA (AFP) - US Secretary of Homeland Security Janet Napolitano said Wednesday she now knows 9/11 terrorists did not enter the United States from Canada, seeking to bury controversy over a diplomatic gaffe.

"I know that 9/11 terrorists did not cross the Canadian border," Napolitano told reporters, referring to an "earlier misstatement" used to justify increased security at the United States' northern frontier.

She had made the comment in a television interview with Canadian public broadcaster CBC in April, provoking outrage in this country.

"Terrorists have come into our country or suspected or known terrorists have entered our country across ... the Canadian border," she was quoted as saying.

Her office immediately issued a correction, but not before the falsehood was spread by others, including US Senator John McCain who told Fox News: "Some of the 9/11 hijackers did come through Canada, as you know."

Most who made the same mistake, including Republican commentator Newt Gingrich and now US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, have subsequently apologized to the Canadian embassy.

Canadian Public Safety Minister Peter Van Loan said Wednesday: "The secretary has made her position quite clear, she's corrected (her statements), we have accepted that and moved on."

Canadian lawmakers feared the misconception would fuel an unwarranted tightening of Canada-US border security that could strangle cross-border trade, worth more than one billion dollars per day.

Napolitano was in Ottawa to discuss border issues with Van Loan over two days

"Thank you Madam Secretary."
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Comment

• How sad is this?

Girl, 5, raised by dogs in Siberia

AFP
      May 27, 2009 4:01 PM
      StoryPhotos ( 1 )

Russian police found a five-year-old girl who has been shut up in a flat in the company of cats and dogs for her entire life in the Eastern Siberian city of Chita, represented on the map by a red marker.

Photograph by: Screenshot, Google MapsMOSCOW — Russian child protection officers have taken into care a five-year-old girl who barks and laps up food like a dog, having had more contact with canines than humans, police said on Wednesday.

The girl had been found in a filthy apartment living with her father and grandparents but also cats and several dogs, with whom she appeared more comfortable, police in the Eastern Siberian city of Chita said in a statement.

Never allowed outdoors, the girl had not learnt to speak but instead tried to communicate by barking.

When discovered by child protection officers, "the unwashed girl was dressed in filthy clothes" and "threw herself at people like a little dog."

In a stab at humour, the police statement dubbed the girl "Mowgli" after a fictional character who grew up among wolves in a children's book by the Anglo-Indian writer Rudyard Kipling.

The flat's owners "practically never let anyone into the apartment and themselves only went out to walk their pets, trying to avoid meeting their neighbours.

"In all these years, the girl managed to master the animal language only," the statement said, adding that the girl could understand Russian, while not speaking it.

"For about five years the girl was 'brought up' by several dogs and cats and not once went outside," the statement added.

Currently living in a care facility and receiving medical and psychiatric help, the girl continues "to jump against the door and bark" if her carers leave the room she is occupying, it said.

In a report by the Vesti television channel, the head of the care centre where the girl is now living said she was still exhibiting dog-like behaviour and preferred to lap up her food rather than using cutlery.

The television channel found that the girl's family had practically bariccaded themselves into their apartment in the wake of the attention.

"These neighbours are really unsociable," one neighbour, Nina Novikova, said of the family. "They only go out at night so as to avoid meeting anyone."

Police said they plan to open a criminal investigation for abuse.

In March, Russian President Dmitry Medvedev urged action on child abuse, saying 760,000 children were living in "socially hazardous conditions".

© Copyright (c) AFP
      September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
      IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
      Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

Comment

• Every time I think that humans can't sink any lower in how they treat other humans, even their own kin, something like this comes up.

Comment

• Amazing

This thread is still going? Now that I've retired...I'll have time to read it.

Hello FH Forums!
          Proudly serving as the IACOJ Minister of Information & Propoganda!
          Be Safe! Lookouts-Awareness-Communications-Escape Routes-Safety Zones

*Gathering Crust Since 1968*
          On the web at www.section2wildfire.com

Comment

• Originally posted by NJFFSA16 View Post

Hello FH Forums!
            HOLY WOW! Look what the cat dragged in! heheheheeheheee. Welcome back Ed.
            If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

Comment

• And to continue what Ed so graciously started:

Booze, drugs lead to road rage incident and arrest

By Sarah Simpson, The CitizenMay 26, 2009

The combination of liquor and prescription medication ended in mayhem on the Trans Canada Highway and arrest for a 69-year-old Cowichan Valley man the afternoon of May 21.

According to RCMP South Island Traffic Services Cst. Mike Halskov, around 4 p.m. police responded to a road-rage complaint on the highway at Henry Road.

Traffic at the intersection was at a standstill as police quickly learned that two people had allegedly been assaulted by a man, who when police arrived, was lying in the middle of the highway. The man was removed from the road, deemed intoxicated, checked out by paramedics and arrested.

Others were milling about, having just broken up the fight. Their accounts of the incident left police shaking their heads, grateful the outcome hadn't been far worse.

Victim and witness reports suggested the suspect was speeding and driving erratically just prior to the incident.

Initial reports are the man was angry the driver ahead of him wouldn't move to the right-hand lane to allow him to pass. When stopped at the red light on Henry Road, the man got out of his car and walked to the car ahead of him, striking the hood with his fist before reaching in through the open driver's window and assaulting the driver.

A second motorist came to the aid of the driver, and a third motorist had the presence of mind to get the keys from the suspect's car so he wouldn't be able to flee.

The suspect took exception to this and turned his rage on the other motorists.

"In my nearly 10 years in policing, including five years on Highway Patrol, this ranks as one of the most unusual incidents I have encountered," said Halskov.

The suspect was found to have a blood/alcohol content that was twice the legal limit.

During the course of the investigation it was learned that the man was also on several prescription medications and that, in combination with alcohol, caused him to behave other than he normally would, said the Mountie.

"Police would like to thank those individuals who came to the aid of the victims and had the presence of mind to prevent the suspect from escaping by removing the keys from his car," said Halskov. "Undoubtedly, this situation could have been far worse had this individual continued to drive and caused a collision."

© Copyright (c) Canwest News Service

Comment

• Originally posted by NJFFSA16 View Post

Hello FH Forums!
                HOLY CRAP!!! Hi Ed!!!!!! Congrats on the retirement.
                September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
                IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
                Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

Comment

• Man wearing only a thong charged in burglary

Thursday, May 28, 2009 (05-28) 17:29 PDT Andersonville, Tenn. (AP)

Deputies said a man who was caught wearing a woman's thong was charged with a burglarizing a home. Chief Deputy Mark Lucas said deputies caught the 42-year-old man only wearing panties in an abandoned farm house. The officers followed his footprints from a nearby Andersonville home where a burglary had been reported.

The man was charged with aggravated burglary, auto burglary and vandalism on Monday and was held on a $65,000 bond in the Anderson County Detention Facility.

The Knoxville News Sentinel reported the man was released from the same jail May 21 after being arrested in Norris for property crimes.

Information from: The Knoxville News Sentinel, www.knoxnews.com

Comment

• Folks in Andersonville always were a bit strange.

Originally posted by MalahatTwo7 View Post
                    Man wearing only a thong charged in burglary

Thursday, May 28, 2009 (05-28) 17:29 PDT Andersonville, Tenn. (AP)

Deputies said a man who was caught wearing a woman's thong was charged with a burglarizing a home. Chief Deputy Mark Lucas said deputies caught the 42-year-old man only wearing panties in an abandoned farm house. The officers followed his footprints from a nearby Andersonville home where a burglary had been reported.

The man was charged with aggravated burglary, auto burglary and vandalism on Monday and was held on a $65,000 bond in the Anderson County Detention Facility.

The Knoxville News Sentinel reported the man was released from the same jail May 21 after being arrested in Norris for property crimes.

Information from: The Knoxville News Sentinel, www.knoxnews.com

Comment

• I never understood why you would want to do this anyway, and if its too cold for your dog, maybe you should move to a warmer climate or get a more suitable dog.

Faux paws in fashion could harm your dog

Clothing your pet can obscure body language and cause fights

By Corry Anderson-Fennell, Special to The Province

Why cover them up with garish sweaters, costumes and faux fur Santa suits?

That's a question Craig Naherniak often asks when he sees what appears to be a growing trend among Vancouverites to "pamper" their pets with cumbersome clothing. Not only are the trappings unnecessary, he says, but in the case of dogs they can actually put pets at risk.

"Dogs communicate mostly through body language, such as posture, stance and movement of their ears, eyes, tail, tongues and lips," says Naherniak, general manager of humane education for the BC SPCA. "When you put clothing on a dog, you're instantly inhibiting his ability to 'talk' to other dogs and people."

The results can be devastating. A miscommunication can lead to a conflict and, in a worst-case scenario, a dog fight.

Naherniak has seen it happen with his own dog. Readers may be familiar with Dylan, the friendly yellow Lab who shares the screen with Vancouver singer Sarah McLachlan in the BC SPCA's televised public service announcements.

But the day Naherniak took Dylan to a patio café and another dog in a raincoat happened by, he turned into a completely different dog.

"His reaction was immediate and out of character -- he pulled over the whole table and went right for the dog," Naherniak recalls. "Obviously I can't be sure, but I suspect the raincoat had something to do with it."

Naherniak says people don't always notice, but dogs are constantly signalling to each other. Most people are familiar with the play bow used to elicit play. But watch the signalling of a dog not interested in play. He may instead turn his head away and yawn or lick his lips to signal to the other dog to leave him alone.

Dogs also communicate by wagging their tails, twitching their ears, crouching and raising the hair on their backs, so it's easy to see how an apparently harmless argyle dog sweater with matching hat could be the catalyst for a fight, Naherniak says.

In the same way, docking a dog's tail and cropping his ears also makes it difficult for dogs to communicate.

"Unless you have a working service dog required to wear a uniform, or a hairless or short-haired breed needing protection from the cold, it's unnecessary and unfair to put clothing on your dog," says Naherniak. "You are instantly putting your dog at a disadvantage for communicating to other dogs and potentially putting yours and other dogs at risk - why would anyone want to do that?"

Anderson-Fennell is communications officer for the BC SPCA.

© Copyright (c) Canwest News Service

Comment

• Originally posted by RspctFrmCalgary View Post
                        Why should they get the privilege though?
                        Pedaling a damn bike 1400 miles? Priviledge? My Grandfather always used to say that riding a bike was simply running like hell to give your butt a ride!

Not too sure Sheri, but the French govt may be in doo doo for cruel and inhuman punishment

Comment

• Squirrel at Mich. cemetery wraps nest in Old Glory

Saturday, May 30, 2009 (05-30) 18:08 PDT Port Huron, Mich. (AP)

Squirrel. Thief. Patriot.

A brazen squirrel has been grabbing small American flags placed in a Port Huron, Mich., cemetery and carrying them up to its nest, which now looks as if it's bedecked in bunting.

Every Memorial Day, volunteers place the flags next to the graves of nearly 1,000 veterans buried at Mount Hope Cemetery about 55 miles northeast of Detroit. The flags were undisturbed during a Mass held Monday.

The Times Herald reports that workers at the cemetery on Tuesday noticed several flags had been torn off their wooden staffs, which were still in the ground.

The mystery was solved in front of superintendent Ron Ceglarek's eyes. He watched a squirrel detach a flag stapled to a staff and carry it up a tree to the nest.

Information from: Times Herald, www.thetimesherald.com

Comment

• I heard about this on the radio this morning.

Woman survives attempt at suicide by train

Tuesday, June 2, 2009 (06-02) 12:14 PDT JERUSALEM, Israel (AP)

An Israeli woman laid herself on the tracks just before a train roared through a crossing in an apparent suicide attempt. But seconds after the train passed, she got up and walked away almost unhurt. The incredible scene was captured on the closed circuit security TV system at the Kfar Vitkin level crossing in Israel's north.

The video shows the woman calmly approaching the tracks and lying down between them. The train passes over her at high speed, and then she gets up, picks up her shoes and walks to her car.

Police spokesman Micky Rosenfeld said Tuesday that two days after the bizarre event, police have not yet found the woman. Rosenfeld speculated that she was attempting suicide or mentally unbalanced.

Comment

• Israeli woman mistakenly junks $1 million mattress
                              By IAN DEITCH, Associated Press Writer

Wednesday, June 10, 2009 (06-10) 07:21 PDT JERUSALEM, Israel (AP)

An Israeli woman mistakenly threw out a mattress she said had almost $1 million inside, setting off a frantic search through tons of garbage at a number of landfill sites on Wednesday.

The woman told The Associated Press that she bought her elderly mother a new mattress as a surprise present on Monday — and threw out the old one.

The next day, she said, she remembered that she had hidden her life savings inside the old mattress. "I woke up in the morning screaming, when it hit me what happened," said the Tel Aviv woman, who asked not to be identified.

She went to look for the mattress, but it had already been hauled away by garbage collectors, she said. Searches at three different landfill sites turned up nothing.

She said the money was in U.S. dollars and Israeli shekels. She refused to say how she acquired such a large sum. "It was all my money in the world," she said. There was no way to verify her claims, and she refused to disclose key details.

Israeli police spokesman Micky Rosenfeld said he was not familiar with the case and no report had been filed.

The Israeli daily Yediot Ahronot published a picture of the woman searching through garbage at a dump in southern Israel. The picture shows the woman, dressed in a white top and black pants with her back to the camera, picking through a huge pile of trash that fills the frame about 10 feet in all directions.

Yitzhak Borba, the dump manager, told Army Radio that his staff was helping the woman, saying she appeared "totally desperate." He said the mattress was hard to find among the 2,500 tons of garbage that arrives at the site every day.

He said the increased security at the site to keep would-be treasure hunters away.

The woman said the money had been stashed in a mattress because she had had "traumatic experiences with banks" in the past. She would not elaborate.

Comment

• Two naked men dance at Saanich convenience store, ring doorbells

Victoria Times Colonist June 10, 2009

Two naked, dancing men put on an exotic, albeit unwanted, show in Saanich Wednesday morning.

The streakers’ first hotspot was the Mac’s convenience store at Wilkinson and Interurban roads around 1:50 a.m.

The store clerk got an eyeful when they ran in, danced and then ran out. Three Saanich police officers arrived, but the duo had disappeared.

Still in the nude, they began ringing doorbells in the 4200 block of Grange Road, a nearby residential area, but left before police could find them. If caught, the men face charges of public nudity.

Both are believed to be white men in their 20s. One is about 6 foot 2 inches tall and the other is 5 foot 10 inches.

“There was nothing overly descriptive about them so there couldn’t have been anything special about them as far as anatomy goes,” joked police spokesman Sgt. John Price.

Thankfully for them, it was a relatively warm night. — Times Colonist

© Copyright (c) The Victoria Times Colonist

Now! You know. Hey Sheri, too bad (or maybe not?) that these guys were on the wrong end of town eh? LOL

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X