Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

Firehouse.com Forum Rules & Guidelines

Forum Rules & Guidelines

Not Permitted or Tolerated:
• Advertising and/or links of commercial, for-profit websites, products, and/or services is not permitted. If you have a need to advertise on Firehouse.com please contact [email protected]
• Fighting/arguing
• Cyber-bullying
• Swearing
• Name-calling and/or personal attacks
• Spamming
• Typing in all CAPS
• “l33t speak” - Substituting characters for letters in an effort to represent a word or phrase. (example: M*****ive)
• Distribution of another person’s personal information, regardless of whether or not said information is public knowledge and whether or not an individual has permission to post said personal information
• Piracy advocation of any kind
• Racist, sexual, hate type defamatory, religious, political, or sexual commentary.
• Multiple forum accounts

Forum Posting Guidelines:

Posts must be on-topic, non-disruptive and relevant to the firefighting community. Post only in a mature and responsible way that contributes to the discussion at hand. Posting relevant information, helpful suggestions and/or constructive criticism is a great way to contribute to the community.

Post in the correct forum and have clear titles for your threads.

Please post in English or provide a translation.

There are moderators and admins who handle these forums with care, do not resort to self-help, instead please utilize the reporting option. Be mature and responsible for yourself and your posts. If you are offended by another member utilize the reporting option. All reported posts will be addressed and dealt with as deemed appropriate by Firehouse.com staff.

Firehouse.com Moderation Process:
Effective immediately, the following moderation process will take effect. User(s) whose posts are determined by Firehouse.com staff to be in violation of any of the rules above will EARN the following reprimand(s) in the moderation process:
1. An initial warning will be issued.
2. A Final Warning will be issued if a user is found to be in violation a second time.
3. A 3-day suspension will be issued if the user continues to break the forum rules.
4. A 45-day suspension will be issued if the user is found to be a habitual rule breaker.
5. Habitual rule breakers that have exhausted all of the above will receive a permanent life-time ban that will be strictly enforced. Reinstatement will not be allowed – there is no appeal process.

Subsequent accounts created in an effort to side-step the rules and moderation process are subject to automatic removal without notice. Firehouse.com reserves the right to expedite the reprimand process for any users as it is deemed necessary. Any user in the moderation process may be required to review and agree to by email the terms and conditions listed above before their account is re-instated (except for those that are banned).

Firehouse.com reserves the right to edit and/or remove any post or member, at any time, for any reason without notice. Firehouse.com also reserves the right to warn, suspend, and/or ban, any member, at any time, for any reason.

Firehouse.com values the active participation we have in our forums. Please ensure your posts are tasteful and tactful. Thank you very much for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Weird But True

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Found it ... the stories have changed since then but it was still under the Most Popular section.

Charges expected after pizza employees video sneezing, farting on food

By Graeme Wood, Canwest News ServiceApril 16, 2009Comments (10)
    StoryPhotos ( 4 )

More Images » Michael, formerly of Domino's Pizza, adds his own touch to the food being served.Photograph by: Screen grab, ..When you order pizza, sometimes you need a special request — extra ham, maybe half olives, easy on the sauce. And usually special orders are at the customer's request and they don't involve bodily discharge.

Not so at the Conover, North Carolina Domino's Pizza.

After purposefully contaminating food with various body parts and having their actions posted on YouTube, two former Domino's Pizza employees were fired and are now reportedly facing arrest.

The Charlotte Observer reports the young employees, who identified themselves as Kristy and Michael on several highly viewed videos online, had warrants issued for their arrest Wednesday.

The videos show Michael willfully sneezing on food, picking his nose and putting snot on cheese sticks, passing gas on meat, and wiping his rear end with a rag before rubbing a pizza pan with it. All the while, Christy is heard laughing and documenting Michael's stunts.

Upon preparing the cheese sticks Kristy tells Michael: "Now it's ready to be sent to some unlucky customer."

Michael is also seen taking a piece of cheese and putting it in his nose before placing it in what appears to be an Italian oven baked sandwich.

Although Christy boasted about being "lazy" in the video, she also mentioned to Michael that the two ought to open up their own restaurant.

According to the Observer: "Domino's officials responded to the video Tuesday, sending out a news release that said, “We are appalled by the actions of these individuals and they do not represent the 125,000 hard-working men and women of Domino’s Pizza across the country and in 60 countries around the world.

This isn't the first run-in with the law for Kristy, who is known to friends as Kristy Lynn Hammonds. According to the FamilyWatchdog.us sex offender directory, Hammonds is a registered sex offender who was convicted of sexual battery in June 2008. The victim's age is not listed.

The original YouTube clip was taken down but portions of its are included in people's responses to the footage as well as in a local TV station's report on the incident.

http://www.timescolonist.com/news/Ch...767/story.html

sorry, no time to post the pic ... there's a few videos too.
    September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

Comment

• Right. I didnt read that story at all, other than the basic headline. Most of the links I saw had video attached to them, and work computers don't support video very well. I did see in the headlines that charges may be pending, and that those involved had or were in process of being fired from Dominos.
      If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Comment

• Dogged Victim Gets Back Stolen SUV

Joliet woman calls husband's stolen cell phone 38 times

By PEGGY CASSIDY

Lindsey Ryan called the cell phone number 38 times before a suspected carjacker finally talked to her and told her she was "a f**$%n# crazy person."

Persistence paid off for a Joliet, Ill. couple after their 2000 Nissan Pathfinder was carjacked Monday afternoon.

The couple used records from their stolen cell phone -- which was in the car -- to track the thief and get the SUV back the next day.

Mike Ryan was running an errand Monday afternoon when a dashboard light indicated his tailgate was ajar. Crest Hill Police Chief Dwayne Wilkerson said Ryan pulled onto a side street to close the hatch and as he "approached the door, he noticed someone near the vehicle out of the corner of his eye and (then) watched someone drive off with the car."

Ryan reported the carjacking to police, and worried that the cell phone he left inside would present additional problems. His wife, however, had other concerns.

"When he told me, the first thing out of my mouth was 'Oh, my God. It won't be around to bring home the new baby,'" Lindsey Ryan said.

She's six-months pregnant with the couple's third child, a boy. They have 8- and 2-year-old daughters.

Lindsey Ryan said her husband suggested they report the stolen phone to police, as well, so they'd be protected from any cell phone bill the thief might rack up.

"I said "No way. Let him use it [so] we can track him via phone records," Lindsey told the Sun-Times, and she proceeded to do just that. Through their account records online, the couple traced calls the thief had been making on their phone and they began dialing.

The pregnant sleuth worked and worked the cell phone list and eventually went with a gut feeling that one of the numbers the teen thief had dialed was the one that would lead her to their car.

Over the next three hours, she called that number 38 times until finally a man answered with an angry "Hello."

She identified herself and said she was looking for the boy who had stolen her car.

"Your number is on my husband's cell records 18 times. I know you know where my Pathfinder is and where the boy who stole it is," she told him. "If you don't tell me, you will be charged as a accomplice in this auto theft."

The 20-year-old man reportedly said, "Miss, I'll call you back in five minutes." Instead, the suspect himself called a few minutes later.

He said, "You're a crazy [expletive] for calling us 38 times [and] keeping us up all night. You can have your car back," Ryan said. He told her where the Pathfinder was parked and she and her husband, along with an investigator with the Tri-County Auto Theft Task Force went to the location.

A warrant was issued for a suspect in the theft, but police are not allowed to publicly identify the juvenile.

Lindsey Ryan called the ordeal a "surreal story."

No word from the carjacker on what he's calling his experience.

Copyright SunTimes
        If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

Comment

• Police say mom ordered daughters out, drove off
          By JIM FITZGERALD, Associated Press Writer

Tuesday, April 21, 2009 (04-21) 21:23 PDT White Plains, N.Y. (AP)

Usually, it's an empty threat: "If you kids don't stop fighting, I'm going to stop this car right now and leave you here!" But a mother from an upper-crust New York suburb went through with it, ordering her battling 10- and 12-year-old daughters out of her car in White Plains' business district and driving off, police said Tuesday.

Madlyn Primoff, 45, a partner in a Manhattan law firm, pleaded not guilty Monday to a charge of endangering a child. A temporary order of protection was issued, barring her from contact with the children, who were physically unharmed.

Primoff's lawyer, Vincent Briccetti, would not comment Tuesday on details of the case. But he said, "Madlyn is a great mother connected with a great family, and she is grateful for the outpouring of support from friends and family."

There wasn't much support from strangers, however. Mothers interviewed near the scene said they couldn't imagine doing what Primoff did, though some understood the urge.

Iris Gorodess, 49, of Mahopac, who has four children ranging from 10 to 19 years old, said she sympathized with Primoff's actions, right up to the point where she pulled away.

"I used to pull over and make the kids change seats. Also, I make sure the kids have their iPods and their games. And I have a minivan, so they're not up my neck all the time.

"But I can't see pulling away. That has to be too scary for the children."

White Plains police said Primoff ordered the arguing girls out of the car Sunday evening as they were driving home. She left them at Post Road and South Broadway, an area of shops and offices 3 miles from their home, then drove off, the police report said.

The report does not say whether the girls had cell phones.

Police would not say if Primoff ever returned to look for the girls, but they said, without explaining how, that the 12-year-old eventually caught up with the mother. The 10-year-old was found by a "Good Samaritan" on the street, upset and emotional about losing her mother, police said.

The girl gave police her mother's name and their address in well-to-do Scarsdale, and they asked Scarsdale police to check Primoff's $2 million house. Shortly afterward, Primoff called Scarsdale police from home to say the 10-year-old was missing, said Scarsdale Detective Lt. Bryant Clark.

He directed her to White Plains police headquarters, where she was arrested.

Dr. Richard Gersh, director of psychiatric services at the Jewish Board of Family and Children's Services in Manhattan, said Primoff's behavior was not appropriate.

"It is a traumatic situation for a child to be abandoned by a parent like that. You can imagine what emotional issues might arise," he said.

Comment

• Mom-to-be hit by car while fleeing bear

Mom-to-be hit by car while fleeing bear is OK
            By IVAN MORENO
            Associated Press Writer

DENVER — A pregnant woman who was fleeing a bear when she was struck by a slow-moving car said she would honor the euthanized animal by giving her baby the middle name "Bear."

Ashley Swendsen, 26, said she thought the bear followed her more out of curiosity than malice because it kept a distance of about 10 feet Thursday morning on a hiking trail in northwestern Colorado Springs.

As she ran, she thought, "If it was going to hurt me, it already would have."

Swendsen managed to scramble up an embankment and was crossing the street when she was hit by a slow-moving car. Although she was not seriously injured, she was taken to a hospital as a precaution because she was pregnant.

Police said they're looking for the driver of the car that hit Swendsen. The driver stopped and spoke to her but left before police arrived.

Swendsen said she first spotted the bear as it was coming out of a creek.

"I didn't know what to do, so I just kept walking," she said. "I wasn't going to start sprinting."

But she started running when the bear moved toward her.

The Colorado Division of Wildlife said the chase happened in an area where bears are common. Division spokesman Michael Seraphin said the brown-colored North American black bear was tranquilized and later euthanized after Swendsen identified it.

Swendsen said she was sad to hear about the bear's death.

"Yeah, because the bear spared me, and then it had to die," she said.

Swendsen, who is about five months pregnant, said she doesn't know the sex of her baby but will give it the middle name "Bear" whether it's a boy or a girl.
            sigpic
            When fire is cried and danger is neigh,
            "God and the firemen" is the people's cry;
            But when 'tis out and all things righted,
            God is forgotten and the firemen slighted.
            ~Author unknown, from The Fireman's Journal, 18 Oct 1879

Comment

• Also from the Archives, Victoria Colonist, 20 March 1889.

AMERICAN NEWS

Union Soldiers. NEW YORK March 18. Ex-President Hayes has sent a contribution to the Fund for the Confederate Soldiers' Home. In his letter he takes the ground that Union soldiers should receive an increasingly large amount in pensions, but that it is eminently proper and desirable that disabled soldiers of the other side who are now citizens of our common country should be generously aided by voluntary contributions .

Comment

• Ick ...

Couple caught having sex in dumpster

Times ColonistApril 24, 2009
                Comments (5)

Most couples wanting to spend a little quality time together wouldn’t choose a place like this.

A Saanich police officer responding to a complaint of suspicious activity early yesterday morning in the Quadra/McKenzie area heard noises coming from a dumpster. When no one responded after he called out, he decided to look inside.

What he found were two naked adults, a 30-year-old woman and a 26-year-old man, described later by police as “intertwined and oblivious to his presence.”

The pair was ordered to dress and get out of the dumpster. The man was arrested on an unrelated matter from the Oak Bay police files, while the woman was sent home.

© Copyright (c) The Victoria Times Colonist
                September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
                IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
                Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

Comment

• complaint of suspicious activity early yesterday morning in the Quadra/McKenzie area
                  WELL! That in itself, explains everything. hehehehehehee That entire neighbourhood is just "suspicious" in and of itself.

Comment

• Originally posted by Robertsc View Post
                    Thank G-d that there is no cure for stupid . We would all be outta jobs.
                    the reason the world isn't getting any smarter, is because OSHA is keepin the dumb ones alive

Comment

• Just because some of them are funny.

OMG! Rules 4YOR plates

Licence police draw the line at IH8MYX, WSKYRUN and DEMON

By Misty Harris, Canwest News ServiceApril 29, 2009 2:05 AM

Sex, drugs and fast cars are great on your vehicle's radio, but off limits for its licence plate.

This trio of topics was chief among those that upset the plate police in 2008, according to a new list obtained by Canwest News Service of vanity-plate messages rejected in Canada. Named and shamed were, SXXYKTN, SCHWING, 4PLAY, STL2HI, GETN-HI, FLOR-IT, RACE2WN and PIN IT, in addition to less printable plate requests.

Other themes that got expressive drivers red-flagged by registries last year included alcohol (WSKYRUN, ZMBUKA), religion (DEMON, DVL WMN), implied profanity (FUBAR, OMG WTF), weapons (AK47, PISTOL) and hate speech, most commonly directed toward a former flame (IH8MYX) or an organization (CWBNFG).

"People are getting really creative in the ways they communicate, and we're trying our best to keep up," says Mark Jan Vrem, spokesman for the Insurance Corporation of B.C., which vets plate requests for the province. "I'm not up on all the latest acronyms, but I do know what WTF means."

The approval processes vary from province to province, but most involve a check against a list of prohibited topics, a more thorough review using various slang and language dictionaries, as well as popular reference websites such as Wikipedia, and a phonetic test in which the plate is read aloud.

Unintentional secondary meanings can be revealed this way, as was recently the case in Colorado when a vegan woman was denied the chance to declare her love of bean curd with the plate: ILVTOFU.

Short-message acronyms such as OMG and WTF are making life especially interesting for the hall monitors of vehicle registrations, according to a spokeswoman for SGI, which handles licence requests in Saskatchewan.

"There's definitely a tie between the rise in text messaging and the rise in more questionable plates coming in with creative use of letters," says Kim Hambleton. "Obviously, it's not an exact science. But our group tries to use common sense and err on the side of caution because we don't want to offend anyone."

It took intervention from Ontario's premier for Peterborough man Russell Henry -- who clearly believes in God -- to be allowed to renew his long-time plate HVF8TH, while Quispamsis, N.B., grandmother Sharon Thorne was denied a licence emblazoned with her maiden name, WEED, even after presenting a birth certificate.

In B.C., IHAVE2P and EATMUP were rejected as "potentially offensive," while the previous year saw Keswick, Ont., senior Brenda M. Bakonyi have her initials deemed impermissible for fear they'd be interpreted as "Bite My Butt" -- a ruling Douglas Leighton, an expert on automobile culture, cites as an example of political correctness gone awry.

"That just goes too far in the direction of prissiness," says Leighton, an associate professor at Huron University College, in London, Ont. "The basic problem is determining where censorship begins . . . Governing bodies are having second or third thoughts about what they should allow and what they shouldn't."

Perhaps the most pervasive plate legend is of a backward licence said to read 3M TA3, of which Stefan Lonce -- one of the foremost experts on vanity plates -- says he has yet to see evidence. But that's not to say people aren't genuinely crafty, such as the Manitoba driver who recently attempted to have STUGOTS -- Italian slang for testicles -- approved.

As of 2007, there were 450,000 personalized licences in Canada.

© Copyright (c) The Victoria Times Colonist

Although in VA I know of a Harley that has SKLFKR as a tag, and the bike has skulls painted on it.

Comment

• Originally posted by MalahatTwo7 View Post
                        Just because some of them are funny.

OMG! Rules 4YOR plates

Licence police draw the line at IH8MYX, WSKYRUN and DEMON

How's about RDGRUNR?

Comment

• Or "XTCY"?

Comment

• Every once in a while people laugh at my plate....DICKEY
                            Jason Knecht
                            Firefighter/EMT
                            Township Fire Dept., Inc.
                            Eau Claire, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
                            http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
                            EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

Comment

• Mobile loo's winning wacky warning: Stop, then go
                              By BEN LEUBSDORF, Associated Press Writer

Wednesday, April 29, 2009 (04-29) 18:02 PDT DETROIT (AP)

A toilet seat that attaches to a trailer hitch has gained national recognition — for a warning label that says you'd better not use it while the vehicle is moving. "The Original Off-Road Commode" won this year's "Wacky Warning Labels" contest, organizers announced Wednesday. The contest, now in its 12th year, is intended to highlight claims that frivolous lawsuits have distorted the U.S. civil justice system.

Steve Shiflett of Hampton, Ga., won $500 for submitting the toilet seat's warning that it's "not for use on moving vehicles."

Hunters are a chief target audience for the toilet seat, which is sold by Wylie, Texas-based Convenient Sports International. The company is "very pleased" with the recognition, said Mike Willis, president of national sales.

The seat is not designed to lock onto a trailer hitch. Company officials added the warning about two years ago after learning that at least one consumer had modified their product and was driving around with it on the back of his vehicle.

"It was a concern because, 'What if, what if?'" Willis said.

Daniel Berganini of Fridley, Minn.,{MALNOTE: I've been to Fridley } won the second-place prize of $250 for a line in a wart-removal product's instruction guide that is unlikely to reach its targeted audience: "Do not use if you cannot see clearly to read the information in the information booklet."

Third place was a tie between a cereal bowl warning, "Always use this product with adult supervision," and a bag of livestock castration rings cautioning, "For animal use only." Michael Leonard of Yarmouth, Maine, and Freddy Krieger of Baroda, Mich., each won $100.

"Do not eat the LCD panel," warns a label on a 1-by-4-inch LCD screen, a finalist submitted by David Almcrantz of Goleta, Calif.

Past winners include a small tractor that cautioned "Danger: Avoid Death," and a warning not to put people inside a washing machine.

The contest, sponsored this year by the Foundation for Fair Civil Justice, has a serious edge, said organizer Bob Dorigo Jones, of Novi, Mich.

"We want to expose how the American civil justice system is out of whack, and this contest allows us to use humor as a hook to start an important debate over how much consumers and families spend because of frivolous lawsuits, how much more they spend on everything from medicine to automobiles," he said.

But a critic says the contest itself is frivolous.

"The fact is that warning labels do save many lives, and our country would be suffering quite a bit more without them," said Joanne Doroshow, executive director of the New York-based Center for Justice & Democracy.

What the detractors of this constest are not acknowledging is the fact that those lables would not be in place, except for the fact that someone "tried this at home" before the lable was required. Job security at its finest?

Comment

• Quebec couple thwarted in giving baby middle name 'Avalanche'

Mon May 4, 4:49 PM
                                By The Canadian Press

MONTREAL - Quebec's civil registrar wants a Montreal couple to explain why they want to give their baby boy the middle name "Avalanche."

It's the latest hurdle for the family, who were originally told - because of a translation error in a letter - that the registrar had rejected the baby's first name of Logan.

But Marie Godbout, a spokeswoman for the registrar, says the translated letter should have said the government had a problem with Logan's middle name - Avalanche.

She says the registrar only rejects uncommon names it feels will cause children to be ridiculed and that parents can appeal the decision.

William Azeff says he and his wife chose the name because it reflects their commitment to nature.

He said the registrar originally took issue with the name of his other son, Brant Glacier, before giving approval.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X