Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wisconnsin You Say Eh?

Meet Marijuana Pepsi

That's what a Beloit, Wis., high school teacher goes by.
    Updated 11:51 AM EDT, Mon, Mar 9, 2009

You might think a name like Marijuana Pepsi is right of out an old Cheech and Chong stoner flick.

But Marijuana Pepsi Sawyer is the real name of a Beloit, Wis., high school teacher. An aunt remembers the name Marijuana Pepsi seemed to fit right into the post-Woodstock era of the early 1970's. But Sawyer says it was tough growing up with that name (a fact young Adolf Hitler Campbell will one day attest to).

She says from the teacher taking attendance in class, to filling out paperwork, her name is never ignored. Sawyer tells the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel people always think she's joking.

The girl in her torn clothes and wild hair failed in school and was teased about her name, especially in junior high.

"Every single class, the teacher is taking attendance out loud, and as they slowly get down through the J's, I'm just like here it comes. 'Marianna? Marijuana?' And all the students turn to see who it is," she said.

Later in life, it wouldn't get any easier when she tried to order tickets over the telephone or fill out paperwork. People thought she was joking, or they wanted to hit her with 20 questions about why she was called that.

While she's named Marijuana, Sawyer says she's never touched the stuff herself.

Copyright Associated Press
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Comment

• Escapee Arrested Trying To Sneak Back in Jail It appears the guy just wanted some smokes

Updated 11:15 PM EDT, Sat, Mar 7, 2009

Harry Jackson is back in his cell, sans smokes.

WOODBINE, Ga. — Authorities say they arrested an escaped jail inmate trying to sneak back into the lockup with cigarettes allegedly stolen from a nearby store.

Sheriff Tommy Gregory said Saturday that 25-year-old Harry Jackson had opened a door to the exercise yard and climbed the outer fence.

Deputies found a jail door unlocked early Saturday and were looking for the inmate. They spotted Jackson trying to come back in and found 14 packs of cigarettes they believe were stolen from a convenience store about a block away.

The jail is supposed to be a smoke-free environment.

Jackson faces new charges of breaking out of jail and burglary. He was already in jail in Camden County in far southeast Georgia for charges including possession of a controlled substance and violating probation.

If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

Comment

• Jump in the sack takes on a whole new meaning...

Australian wrestles kangaroo from family home

Mon Mar 9, 1:12 AM
        By The Associated Press

CANBERRA, Australia - When a dark intruder smashed through his bedroom window and repeatedly bounced on his bed, Beat Ettlin was initially relieved to discover it was a kangaroo.

"My initial thought when I was half awake was: it's a lunatic ninja coming through the window," the 42-year-old told The Associated Press on Monday. "It seems about as likely as a kangaroo breaking in."

But his relief was short-lived. Moments later, he heard his 10-year-old son Leighton Beman scream from bed: "There's a 'roo in my room!"

"I thought: This can be really dangerous for the whole family now," Ettlin said.

The extraordinary ordeal for the family of four began at 2 a.m. Sunday in their house in the upscale Canberra suburb of Garran.

Ettlin, a chef originally from the Swiss city of Stans, wrestled the thrashing and bleeding 90 pound (40 kilogram) marsupial out the front door.

I had just my Bonds undies on. I felt vulnerable," he said, referring to a popular Australian underwear brand.
        {EWWW...tmi}

The kangaroo, which Ettlin said was around his height, 5 foot 9 inches (176 centimetres), left a trail of blood through the house and claw gouges in the wooden frame of his bed.

Ettlin, who was left wearing just his shredded underpants and with scratch marks on his leg and buttocks, described himself as "lucky."

The kangaroo vanished into a nearby forest from where it likely came. The family reported the intrusion to police and to wildlife authorities.

The animal hopped a fence to reach the family's backyard. The family suspects it felt trapped and tried to escape the yard through the bedroom window which is about 1.5 meters above the ground. It was likely cut by the broken glass.

Kangaroos rarely harm humans, but when they do, it is usually because they feel cornered. They have been known to disembowel people with the claws of their powerful hind legs.

Although it had been a dangerous and harrowing experience, Ettlin's wife could see a funny side to the family's unusual predicament.

"I think he's a hero: a hero in Bonds undies," Verity Beman, 39, said of her husband

Comment

• "I think he's a hero: a hero in Bonds undies,
          "Bond. What every 00 spy needs to be wearing when he fights the good fight."

No kanagaroos where harmed in the making of this statement.

Comment

• Colonel Sanders rescued from river after 24 years
            By JAY ALABASTER, Associated Press Writer

Tuesday, March 10, 2009 (03-10) 22:47 PDT TOKYO, Japan (AP)

He was covered in mud when pulled from the river, and had lost both legs and hands, not to mention his glasses. But Colonel Sanders still had his trademark smile, 24 years later.

A statue of the KFC mascot has been found in a river in Osaka, a city official said Wednesday, nearly a quarter century after being tossed in by crazed baseball fans who felt the image of restaurant founder Harland Sanders resembled a key team member.

"He was apparently found standing upright, which is fitting, because although he was a nice man he could also be very strict and demanding," said Sumeo Yokakawa, a spokeswoman at the chain's Tokyo headquarters.

She said the statue was taken from a nearby KFC restaurant and tossed in the river as part of a celebration by baseball fans in 1985, the year Osaka's baseball team, the Hanshin Tigers, won the national championship.

Local fans thought the Colonel bore a resemblance to Randy Bass, a bearded power hitter and first baseman from the U.S. who played for the team at the time.

Fans often jump into the murky river to celebrate the team's successes, but there has been little to celebrate in recent years. Many fans feel the team has been plagued by the "curse of Colonel Sanders" since his effigy was submerged in 1985.

It has failed to win a national championship since, although it did win its division in 2003.

The upper half of the statue was found Tuesday in Osaka's Dotonburi River during construction work to build a new walkway, according to city official Hideo Yuko. His legs and right hand were found Wednesday morning.

The colonel will be kept in police custody for the time being, but Yokakawa said KFC is considering donating him to the home stadium of the Tigers in Osaka. The store where he originally stood has since closed.

The KFC chain currently operates about 1,160 restaurants in Japan, and has about 1,000 Colonel Sanders statues in the country.

Osaka, Japan's second-largest city after Tokyo, is located about 260 miles (420 kilometers) west of the capital.

Comment

• Trainjacker Allegedly Just Heading to a Bar

By JOHN NESS Updated 8:23 AM EDT, Sun, Mar 15, 2009

On February 22, Brandon Dowdy allegedly saw locomotive No. 2617 sitting all by its lonesome on the tracks. Cops are charging him with taking it on a seven-mile joyride down the tracks. But the story behind his trainjacking is just now emerging.

Dowdy's alleged accomplice, Alex Johnson-Self, said the plan was to break into the 120-ton vehicle, get it moving down the track, and then drive it to a bar. Johnson-Self would drive his truck to the bar and pick Dowdy up there.

The full story in the Herald is a must-read, in part because it feautures "a classic-rock band called Big Dick and the Extenders," and in part because it looks this was an opportunity Dowdy had waited his whole life for:

Dowdy's mother, flight attendant Elizabeth Combs, says her son has always had a thing for railroads.

The family celebrated his eighth birthday party at the Gold Coast Railroad Museum in South Miami-Dade County. Family photos show Dowdy smiling broadly, wearing a blue and white conductor's hat. His vanilla-frosted birthday cake was decorated with multicolored train figurines.

By age 10, he was volunteering in the model-train room at the museum. The director there confirmed that Dowdy was a volunteer, but did not want to say more.

Dowdy is now charged grand theft, burglary and illegally interfering with a railroad track. CSX railroad told the Herald it takes locomotive theft particularly seriously in the aftermath of 9/11.

PHOTOCREDIT:

David Allen Coe famously said that the perfect country & western song would need to address "mama," "trains," "trucks," "prison," and "gettin' drunk." This story may end up involving all five.
              Attached Files

Comment

• Worker ****ed About Alleged Urination Discrimination

Woman claims gender bias after outdoor peeing incident

Updated 7:59 PM EDT, Tue, Mar 17, 2009

NORFOLK, Va. -- A Virginia dock worker is ****ed off at her union, which she's accusing of discrimination, saying it refused to hire her after she peed outdoors at a work site.

Sonya Tillett-Bond contends a male coworker was not punished even though he also relieved himself outdoors at the marine terminal in Portsmouth.

She is suing the International Longshoreman's Association in U.S. District Court and is seeking $300,000 in damages.

Tillett-Bond's supervisor said he booted her off the job because he feared a sexual harassment lawsuit over the urination incident.

A jury was seated Tuesday in U.S. District Court in Norfolk.

Comment

• Man tosses gas bomb in fight, sets own cars ablaze

Friday, March 27, 2009

(03-27) 17:27 PDT BITHLO, Fla. (AP) --

Authorities said a man threw a Molotov cocktail at his neighbor's trailer, but the wind shifted and set fire to two cars, a pickup and a travel trailer in the man's own yard. The Florida Highway Patrol reported that a 51-year-old man got into a fight with his neighbor on Tuesday night and threw the makeshift gasoline bomb.

Authorities believe alcohol was involved.

The man faces multiple charges, including arson. He was being held at the Orange County Jail.

Information from: Orlando Sentinel, www.orlandosentinel.com

Not too bright eh?

Comment

• Why did the sea turtle cross the Florida Keys? To go to the doctor.

Stop reading if you've heard this one.

Sick Sea Turtle Swims Right to Hospital Doorstep

A sick sea turtle swims to the doorstep of the only place in the world that is licensed solely to treat turtles

By TODD WRIGHT

Updated 6:23 PM EDT, Mon, Mar 30, 2009 AP

A sick sea turtle made a special trip to the doctor, swimming across the keys to find the Turtle Hospital.

Sea Turtle On Time For Doc Appointment

A sick sea turtle finds his way to the Turtle Hospital in Marathon all by himself.

A loggerhead sea turtle nearly swam to the door step of the Florida Keys Turtle Hospital, the only licensed veterinary facility in the world that solely treats sea turtles.

The 73-pound reptile was suffering from a bacterial infection and somehow knew exactly where to go for help -- no Yellow Pages needed.

Staff members at the hospital actually waited several hours before treating the turtle because they thought it may have just been lost when it showed up at the dock of the treatment center.

But the turtle stuck around, probably unaware of the Turtle Hospital's "no walk-ins" policy.

Eventually, he was treated with meds and now has a new home in a blue tank until he's all better.

No doubt, the hospital will get plenty of referrals from their new patient when he is back with his friends -- Michelangelo, Leonardo, Donatello and Raphael.

Comment

• Reverse parentage...

Mon Mar 30, 6:12 PM
                      By Sidhartha Banerjee, The Canadian Press

Quebec man wants name stricken from birth certificate of child who isn't his

MONTREAL - A Quebec man who has failed to have his name removed from the birth certificate of a young girl he found out was not his biological daughter wants to argue his case before the Supreme Court of Canada.

The businessman has already struck out in Quebec Superior Court and in the Quebec Court of Appeal.

Both courts ruled that paternity is ironclad if a man's name is on the birth certificate, if that status is not contested within a year of the child's birth and if other factors, including the same family name, indicate obvious bonds between the child and the parents.

The courts ruled there is little room for interpretation, but the man's lawyer disagreed with both rulings.

"It's not a monetary question as much as it is a question of principle - can we impose a child on a man?" Guylaine Gauthier said in an interview.

"The message the courts have sent is that we can falsely name someone as the father and this goes against the judicial system and the values upon which it is based.

"The question of good faith and bad faith is of major importance here - and I think there's a poor application of the Civil Code."

The man, a native of Rimouski in eastern Quebec, was involved in a common-law relationship with a woman between 1998 and 2005 and the girl was born in 2002.

He testified he had no reason to believe he wasn't the father, but after the relationship ended he learned she'd kept her infidelity from him.

"After he was separated, people came forward and told him who the father was and that person also acknowledged that he was the girl's father," Gauthier said.

In January 2007, a DNA test concluded with a probability of more than 99.99 per cent that Gauthier's client was not the biological father.

Since then, he's had no contact with the young girl and the girl's mother has cut ties with him, but the man is still legally considered her father and could still be responsible for her financially, Gauthier said.

A well-known Quebec family lawyer said she doesn't think the case will even make it to Ottawa as she says the question of filiation has been long settled.

"The theme of this is filiation has nothing to do with biology," said Anne-France Goldwater.

"Once a child has a birth certificate and the child has a possession of status that matches the certificate, it's over, you cannot contest its filiation ever again."

Goldwater said there is a short window of time to contest, but in the majority of cases, the truth is discovered too late.

"Once his name is on the birth certificate and he has treated the child as his own, filiation is considered irrevocably established," she said.

The Canadian Children's Rights Council, an advocacy group concerned with children's human rights, said statistics reveal that about 10 per cent of Canadians don't have the name of their biological father on their birth certificate.

President Grant Wilson said men should not have to go to court in cases of paternal fraud to have the matter resolved.

Also, judges often rule that "because you've acted like dad long enough, we're making you the dad but unfortunately you can't tell people how to feel," Wilson said.

"Certainly, their relationship is going to be different."

Mandatory DNA testing during pregnancy would go a long way to limit the damage and protect the children from future harm, Wilson said.

"It's extremely damaging to children when they find out the man they thought was their father isn't their father," he said.

Goldwater said seemingly forgotten in the whole affair is the young girl.

"It's a cruelty beyond understanding to break this child's life like that," she said."

Since then, he's had no contact with the young girl and the girl's mother has cut ties with him, but the man is still legally considered her father and could still be responsible for her financially, Gauthier said.
                      Granted, we don't know the whole story here but she was unfaithful {allegedly} and yet it seems he's still being held responsible. I do feel deeply for the child because they're the ones that ultimately pay for the adults' actions but the cuckholded man shouldn't be legally liable for this.
                      Last edited by firecat1; 03-31-2009, 02:10 PM.

Comment

• I heard about this one on the news yesterday, but other than saying the man had climbed a chainlink fence, stolen a small airplane and flew into MS, there was no indication of "Why".

Pilot of stolen plane hoped to be shot down

By Meagan Fitzpatrick, Canwest News ServiceApril 8, 2009

A Canadian man was detained yesterday by U.S. immigration officials in Missouri after allegedly stealing a plane from his flight school in Thunder Bay, Ont., a day earlier.

Officials claim the man flew across three American states with the hope that he would be shot down by the military fighter jets that were sent to chase him.

Yavuz Berke, also known as Adam Dylan Leon, was arrested by Missouri State Highway Patrol Monday night at a grocery store in the town of Ellsinore.

According to Sgt. Dale Moreland, he was sitting at a table drinking a Gatorade and waiting for police.

Moreland said Berke told the arresting officer that he was the man police were looking for and that he thought he would have been shot down when he entered U.S. airspace.

"He was depressed and wanting to commit suicide is what he told us," said Moreland.

The 31-year-old, a Canadian citizen who was born in Turkey, was transferred from state police custody to the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement agency early yesterday and is being detained in St. Louis because he illegally flew into the U.S.

Berke was charged yesterday with transportation of stolen property and with illegally entering the U.S., CNN reported.

© Copyright (c) The Victoria Times Colonist

Comment

• How much weight did she gain?????

Mich. man helps deliver wife's surprise baby

Thursday, April 16, 2009 (04-16) 18:01 PDT MONTCALM COUNTY, Mich. (AP)

A western Michigan man helped deliver his wife's baby boy despite not knowing she was pregnant. The Grand Rapids Press reported the man called 911 early Thursday as his wife was in labor. The man told the dispatcher that he had not known his 27-year-old wife was pregnant. He said they recently quit smoking and thought her recent weight gain was related.

The couple has two children, and the mother has an additional child from a previous relationship.

Following the successful delivery, the dispatcher talked the man through post-birth procedures. The child was taken to a local hospital.

Information from: The Grand Rapids Press, www.mlive.com/grand-rapids

Comment

• When I saw that you had posted here this morning, I was sure it would be the sneezing and farting story!
                            September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
                            IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
                            Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

Comment

• Originally posted by RspctFrmCalgary View Post
                              When I saw that you had posted here this morning, I was sure it would be the sneezing and farting story!
                              Which one is that? I've read through SF Gate, TC and NBC4, but didn't see anything like that in the headlines.

Comment

• It was on the TC when I was up at the ungodly hour 3:45AM for 1/2 hour. Hang on, I'll go see if it's still there. I left the Winnipeg one for ya to post HAHA.
                                September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
                                IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
                                Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader