Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

Firehouse.com Forum Rules & Guidelines

Forum Rules & Guidelines

Not Permitted or Tolerated:
• Advertising and/or links of commercial, for-profit websites, products, and/or services is not permitted. If you have a need to advertise on Firehouse.com please contact [email protected]
• Fighting/arguing
• Cyber-bullying
• Swearing
• Name-calling and/or personal attacks
• Spamming
• Typing in all CAPS
• “l33t speak” - Substituting characters for letters in an effort to represent a word or phrase. (example: M*****ive)
• Distribution of another person’s personal information, regardless of whether or not said information is public knowledge and whether or not an individual has permission to post said personal information
• Piracy advocation of any kind
• Racist, sexual, hate type defamatory, religious, political, or sexual commentary.
• Multiple forum accounts

Forum Posting Guidelines:

Posts must be on-topic, non-disruptive and relevant to the firefighting community. Post only in a mature and responsible way that contributes to the discussion at hand. Posting relevant information, helpful suggestions and/or constructive criticism is a great way to contribute to the community.

Post in the correct forum and have clear titles for your threads.

Please post in English or provide a translation.

There are moderators and admins who handle these forums with care, do not resort to self-help, instead please utilize the reporting option. Be mature and responsible for yourself and your posts. If you are offended by another member utilize the reporting option. All reported posts will be addressed and dealt with as deemed appropriate by Firehouse.com staff.

Firehouse.com Moderation Process:
Effective immediately, the following moderation process will take effect. User(s) whose posts are determined by Firehouse.com staff to be in violation of any of the rules above will EARN the following reprimand(s) in the moderation process:
1. An initial warning will be issued.
2. A Final Warning will be issued if a user is found to be in violation a second time.
3. A 3-day suspension will be issued if the user continues to break the forum rules.
4. A 45-day suspension will be issued if the user is found to be a habitual rule breaker.
5. Habitual rule breakers that have exhausted all of the above will receive a permanent life-time ban that will be strictly enforced. Reinstatement will not be allowed – there is no appeal process.

Subsequent accounts created in an effort to side-step the rules and moderation process are subject to automatic removal without notice. Firehouse.com reserves the right to expedite the reprimand process for any users as it is deemed necessary. Any user in the moderation process may be required to review and agree to by email the terms and conditions listed above before their account is re-instated (except for those that are banned).

Firehouse.com reserves the right to edit and/or remove any post or member, at any time, for any reason without notice. Firehouse.com also reserves the right to warn, suspend, and/or ban, any member, at any time, for any reason.

Firehouse.com values the active participation we have in our forums. Please ensure your posts are tasteful and tactful. Thank you very much for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Weird But True

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• German Police Dogs to Wear Shoes
    Sign In to E-Mail or Save This Print

By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
    Published: February 25, 2008
    Filed at 10:00 p.m. ET

BERLIN (AP) -- Police dogs in the western city of Duesseldorf will no longer get their feet dirty when on patrol -- the entire dog unit will soon be equipped with blue plastic fiber shoes, a police spokesman said Monday.

''All 20 of our police dogs -- German and Belgian shepherds -- are currently being trained to walk in these shoes,'' Andre Hartwich said. ''I'm not sure they like it, but they'll have to get used to it.''

The unusual footwear is not a fashion statement, Hartwich said, but rather a necessity due to the high rate of paw injuries on duty. Especially in the city's historical old town -- famous for both its pubs and drunken revelers -- the dogs often step into broken beer bottles.

''Even the street-cleaning doesn't manage to remove all the glass pieces from between the streets' cobble stones,'' Hartwich said, adding that the dogs frequently get injured by little pieces sticking deep in their paws.

The dogs will start wearing the shoes this spring but only during operations that demand special foot protection. The shoes comes in sizes small, medium and large and were ordered in blue to match the officers uniforms, Hartwich said.

''Now we just have to teach the dogs how to tie their shoes,'' he joked.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Comment

• Just don't start trying to put shoes on cats!

Comment

• Originally posted by firecat1 View Post
        Just don't start trying to put shoes on cats!
        NO! I personally have never does this, but itsn't putting shoes on cats anything like peanut butter on tinfoil stuck to their feet the same thing?
        If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

Comment

Just don't start trying to put shoes on cats!
          NO! I personally have never done this, but itsn't putting shoes on cats anything like peanut butter on tinfoil stuck to their feet the same thing?

Comment

• Just some weird trivia

Until the nineteenth century, solid blocks of tea were used as money in Siberia!

The Nobel Peace Prize medal depicts three naked men with their hands on each other's shoulders!

When glass breaks, the cracks move faster than 3,000 miles per hour. To photograph the event, a camera must shoot at a millionth of a second!

A lightning bolt generates temperatures five times hotter than those found at the sun's surface!

Forest fires move faster uphill than downhill!

One for you, KiwiThe two-foot long bird called a Kea that lives in New Zealand likes to eat the strips of rubber around car windows!

Until 1796, there was a state in the United States called Franklin. Today it's known as Tennessee!

Comment

• [QUOTE=firecat1;925647]
              The Nobel Peace Prize medal depicts three naked men with their hands on each other's shoulders! Ummm, I'll pass on that one.

When glass breaks, the cracks move faster than 3,000 miles per hour. To photograph the event, a camera must shoot at a millionth of a second! Then smoke starts seeping through and then the window blows?

Forest fires move faster uphill than downhill! Why is this one weird but true? Yes it's true, but weird?

One for you, KiwiThe two-foot long bird called a Kea that lives in New Zealand likes to eat the strips of rubber around car windows! And here in Oz the bloody cockatoos shred the insulation off of any cable they can get to. Including power. Oh, and that bird can't be two-foot long, NZ is a metric country
              "Professional" means your attitude to the job...

Nullus Anxietas ..... (T Pratchett)

Comment

• Shirley there must be a prize for finding this one???

Toilet directory puts the best thrones on the map
                Misty Harris, Canwest News Service
                Published: Monday, March 03, 2008
                You could say it's Canada's No. 1 map.

It has No. 2 wrapped up, too.

Whatever your "business," the nationwide toilet directory aims to show you where to do it in style.

The interactive map launching this month allows Canadians to chart their favourite restrooms across the country, evaluating each one on a five-star system that reflects the overall accessibility, cleanliness, lineups, location and decor.

Although the online map at www.powderroom.ca is part of a campaign to promote awareness of overactive bladder, a condition affecting 12 to 18 per cent of Canadians, it's likely to benefit anyone planning a road trip -- especially those accompanied by kids.

"You not only have to plan around the gas gauge but around the bladder gauge as well," says Fran Stewart, a registered nurse and continence adviser at Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre in Toronto.

A similar effort already has proven successful in Australia where, since 2001, the government-funded National Toilet Map has given folks the loo lowdown on roughly 14,000 private and public bathrooms in the area.

Because the site relies on the public to identify each city's restrooms, its value will rise in direct proportion to the number of Canadians who participate.

Communications MECA's Carol Levine, who operates the unbranded site using an educational grant from Astrellas Pharma Canada Inc., hopes the map generates enough entries that they can award a "powder room seal of approval" to the nation's poshest potties by summertime.

© Times Colonist (Victoria) 2008

Comment

• Eeeeeewwwwwww

Big stink expected as scientists dig up rotten blue whale

Margaret Munro, Canwest News Service Published: Tuesday, March 04, 2008

In what will be one of the rankest exhumations ever, a blue whale buried in Prince Edward Island 20 years ago is about to be dug up and shipped to Vancouver.

After two decades in the ground the giant 25-metre corpse - blue whales are the biggest mammals on earth - is still encased in its thick blue rubbery skin, and infused with rancid oil that makes even seasoned biologists gag.

"I have to say there is probably no worse smell in the world than a dead whale," says marine biologist Andrew Trites at the University of British Columbia, who has bagged the "national treasure" for the UBC's new biodiversity centre.

The whale washed ashore near Tignish, P.E.I., in 1987. The Canadian Museum of Nature, which had hoped to eventually put the skeleton on display, had the animal buried on nearby provincial land.

The federal and provincial governments never did find the space to accommodate the creature, and it was destined to slowly disintegrate in its sandy grave until Trites and his colleagues came calling.

They flew out to size up the creature in December. With the help of a backhoe and volunteers from the P.E.I. veterinary school, they dug down expecting to find nice clean bones.

Trites says it was the "biggest shock" to hit not bones, but the whale's still-rubbery top. "I stood up on the back of whale and thought: 'What have I got myself into?'" he says.

Trites and skeleton articulator Michael DeRoos return in May with more heavy machinery. They'll don masks and, starting at one end, will peel way the rotting flesh and extract the interlocked bones. The bones will be loaded into a freezer container for the trip to B.C., where they will be cleaned up and pieced backed together.

It is to be erected next year in the glass atrium of the biodiversity centre's museum, at the middle of the UBC campus, where the whale will be in full view of people passing by.

Trites says the blue whale is a fitting centrepiece since the "gentle giant" is the biggest animal on earth, yet it is totally dependent on some of the smallest species, the phytoplankton it scoops out of the sea with its giant mouth.

The biologists hope to eventually add several more creatures to the museum's collection. Trites say they already have "options" on a humpback and baby killer whale that were also buried after they died.

Blue whales ply all the world's oceans. Mature adults are as long as two school buses, making them bigger than any of the dinosaurs. Their hearts are the size of small car and their arteries wide enough for a human baby to crawl through.

There are an estimated 4,500 blue whales left, down from 350,000 before whaling began, and sightings are rare. "I've never seen one in all the years I've on been on the water," says Trites. But he says five of the endangered creatures were spotted off the B.C. coast last year, raising hope the creatures are coming back.

The blue whale is not only the biggest, but the loudest animal. At 190 decibels, a blue whale's call is louder than a jet (140 decibels), and much louder than a person can shout (70 decibels). For a sound clip, visit http://oceanexplorer.noaa.gov/explor...ale-sound.html

© Canwest News Service 2008

Comment

• Men Who Do Housework May Get More Sex

By DAVID CRARY, AP National Writer

Thursday, March 6, 2008 (03-06) 04:46 PST New York (AP) --

American men still don't pull their weight when it comes to housework and child care, but collectively they're not the slackers they used to be. The average dad has gradually been getting better about picking himself up off the sofa and pitching in, according to a new report in which a psychologist suggests the payoff for doing more chores could be more sex.

The report, released Thursday by the Council on Contemporary Families, summarizes several recent studies on family dynamics. One found that men's contribution to housework had doubled over the past four decades; another found they tripled the time spent on child care over that span.

"More couples are sharing family tasks than ever before, and the movement toward sharing has been especially significant for full-time dual-earner couples," the report says. "Men and women may not be fully equal yet, but the rules of the game have been profoundly and irreversibly changed."

Some couples have forged partnerships they consider fully equitable.

"We'll both talk about how we're so lucky to have someone who does more than their share," said Mary Melchoir, a Washington-based fundraiser for the National Organization for Women, who — like her lawyer husband — works full-time while raising 6-year-old triplets.

"He's the one who makes breakfast and folds the laundry," said Melchoir, 47. "I'm the one who fixes things around the house."

Joshua Coleman, a San Francisco-area psychologist and author of "The Lazy Husband: How to Get Men to Do More Parenting and Housework," said equitable sharing of housework can lead to a happier marriage and more frequent sex.

"If a guy does housework, it looks to the woman like he really cares about her — he's not treating her like a servant," said Coleman, who is affiliated with the Council on Contemporary Families. "And if a woman feels stressed out because the house is a mess and the guy's sitting on the couch while she's vacuuming, that's not going to put her in the mood."

The report's co-authors, sociologists Scott Coltrane of the University of California, Riverside and Oriel Sullivan of Ben Gurion University, said they were addressing a perception that women's gains in the workplace were not being matched by gains at home.

"The typical punch line of many news stories has been that even though women are working longer hours on the job and cutting back their own housework, men are not picking up the slack," Coltrane and Sullivan wrote.

They said this perception was based on unrealistic expectations and underestimated the degree of change "going on behind the scenes" since the 1960s. The change, they said, "is too great a break from the past to be dismissed as a slow and grudging evolution."

Among the findings they cited:

_In the U.S., time-use diary studies show that since the '60s, men's contribution to housework doubled from about 15 percent to more than 30 percent of the total. Over the same period, the average working mother reduced her weekly housework load by two hours.

_Between 1965 and 2003, men tripled the amount of time they spent on child care. During the same period, women also increased the time spent with their children, suggesting mutual interest in a more hands-on approach to child-raising.

Sullivan and Coltrane predict men's contributions will increase further as more women take jobs.

"Men share more family work if their female partners are employed more hours, earn more money and have spent more years in education," they said.

Pamela Smock, a University of Michigan sociologist who also works with the council, said a persistent gender gap remains for what she called "invisible" household work — scheduling children's medical appointments, buying the gifts they take to birthday parties, arranging holiday gatherings, for example.

Marriage equality is more elusive among blacks than whites, with black women shouldering a relatively higher burden in terms of child care and housework, said council collaborator Shirley Hill, a sociology professor at the University of Kansas.

The report's overall findings meshed with what Carol Evans, founder and CEO of Working Mother magazine, has been observing as she tracks America's two-income couples.

"There's a generational shift that's quite strong," she said. "The younger set of dads have their own expectations about themselves as to being helpful and participatory. They haven't quite gotten to equality in any sense that a women would say, 'Wow, that's equal,' but they've gotten so much farther down the road."

So where do you think you rate, Guys? And what say the Ladies in the crowd? Any merrit to this article?

Comment

• Did someone say house trained men

Hey, it works for me! I'm actually single at the moment. But if I had a partner and he made a fair contribution to the housework, etc I would certainly feel a lot happier all round. Not only that but the rewards for him would be great
                      It's not the destination, but the journey that matters.

Stay safe

Comment

• Originally posted by MalahatTwo7 View Post
                        [b][color=blue]
                        Men Who Do Housework May Get More Sex

By DAVID CRARY, AP National Writer

Thursday, March 6, 2008 (03-06) 04:46 PST New York (AP) --

So where do you think you rate, Guys? And what say the Ladies in the crowd? Any merrit to this article?
                        Ooooo, I think a man in an apron is SO sexy!

Comment

• Well! I do ALL the housework and I don't get more sex!

Oh, wait. I'm single... and live alone...
                          "Professional" means your attitude to the job...

Nullus Anxietas ..... (T Pratchett)

Comment

Ooooo, I think a man in an apron is SO sexy!

I am sorry to disappoint you M'Lady, but I don't wear aprons........

Comment

• Originally posted by MalahatTwo7 View Post
                              I am sorry to disappoint you M'Lady, but I don't wear aprons........
                              LMAO I dont either, Some guys at the station do NOT ME LMAO
                              Firefighter for Vestal 32-2

American Red Cross Volunteer

Comment

• I actually enjoy doing my household cleaning. Don't know why.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X