Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

Firehouse.com Forum Rules & Guidelines

Forum Rules & Guidelines

Not Permitted or Tolerated:
• Advertising and/or links of commercial, for-profit websites, products, and/or services is not permitted. If you have a need to advertise on Firehouse.com please contact [email protected]
• Fighting/arguing
• Cyber-bullying
• Swearing
• Name-calling and/or personal attacks
• Spamming
• Typing in all CAPS
• “l33t speak” - Substituting characters for letters in an effort to represent a word or phrase. (example: M*****ive)
• Distribution of another person’s personal information, regardless of whether or not said information is public knowledge and whether or not an individual has permission to post said personal information
• Piracy advocation of any kind
• Racist, sexual, hate type defamatory, religious, political, or sexual commentary.
• Multiple forum accounts

Forum Posting Guidelines:

Posts must be on-topic, non-disruptive and relevant to the firefighting community. Post only in a mature and responsible way that contributes to the discussion at hand. Posting relevant information, helpful suggestions and/or constructive criticism is a great way to contribute to the community.

Post in the correct forum and have clear titles for your threads.

Please post in English or provide a translation.

There are moderators and admins who handle these forums with care, do not resort to self-help, instead please utilize the reporting option. Be mature and responsible for yourself and your posts. If you are offended by another member utilize the reporting option. All reported posts will be addressed and dealt with as deemed appropriate by Firehouse.com staff.

Firehouse.com Moderation Process:
Effective immediately, the following moderation process will take effect. User(s) whose posts are determined by Firehouse.com staff to be in violation of any of the rules above will EARN the following reprimand(s) in the moderation process:
1. An initial warning will be issued.
2. A Final Warning will be issued if a user is found to be in violation a second time.
3. A 3-day suspension will be issued if the user continues to break the forum rules.
4. A 45-day suspension will be issued if the user is found to be a habitual rule breaker.
5. Habitual rule breakers that have exhausted all of the above will receive a permanent life-time ban that will be strictly enforced. Reinstatement will not be allowed – there is no appeal process.

Subsequent accounts created in an effort to side-step the rules and moderation process are subject to automatic removal without notice. Firehouse.com reserves the right to expedite the reprimand process for any users as it is deemed necessary. Any user in the moderation process may be required to review and agree to by email the terms and conditions listed above before their account is re-instated (except for those that are banned).

Firehouse.com reserves the right to edit and/or remove any post or member, at any time, for any reason without notice. Firehouse.com also reserves the right to warn, suspend, and/or ban, any member, at any time, for any reason.

Firehouse.com values the active participation we have in our forums. Please ensure your posts are tasteful and tactful. Thank you very much for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Weird But True

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tooooo Funny

Robbery Foiled When Employees Get Giggles. Would-Be Bandits Flee After Being Laughed At

UPDATED: 12:33 pm EDT April 21, 2007

Police are searching for two would-be bandits after Postal Annex employees got the giggles and foiled an attempted armed robbery, reported television station KPTV in Portland, Ore.

Portland police said two men wearing red bandanas walked into the Postal Annex on Southwest Beaverton Hillsdale Highway around 9:30 a.m. Friday and told the workers to empty the register.

One of the men had a fold-up knife and was having problems opening it. The employees, thinking the attempted robbery was a hoax, laughed at the would-be robbers, KPTV reported.

The assistant manager, playing along with what she assumed was a joke, picked up the phone and threatened to call 911. As soon as she said the three numbers, the two would-be robbers were gone, the employees said.

"He didn't have a serious voice to him," said employee Shelley Martin. "We thought he was kidding, so we were laughing back at him."

"We just didn't take them seriously. It was like having your kid brother come up with his cowboy and Indian thing," said employee Nicole Luedtke.

The two men didn't get any money, but they did get away, giving the good-humored employees at Postal Annex a priceless anecdote.

Police are investigating the incident as a serious crime for the two men did show weapons.

Police said it is always best to take armed robberies seriously and don't do anything so bold that it might put you or anyone else in danger.

Distributed by Internet Broadcasting.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Comment

• Take it from the heart: Sex is good for you

Misty Harris, CanWest News Service

Published: Saturday, April 28, 2007

That sex can be a lifesaver isn't news to most Canadians. But when the pronouncement comes from a leading authority on cardiovascular research -- as opposed to, say, one's pleading spouse -- it carries more weight in the bedroom.

The British Heart Foundation, drawing on decades of health research, is recommending sex as a means of staving off heart disease. Using the slogan "Get your 30 minutes a day, any way," the foundation's new billboard campaign encourages people aged 50 and older to horizontal-hula their way to health. "I think the campaign is relevant for people the world over," says Lizzy Ray, a spokeswoman for the charity foundation.

According to a community health study undertaken earlier this year in Britain, a sedentary lifestyle kills someone every 15 minutes. Dr. Mike Knapton, director of prevention and care at the British foundation, says the antidote to these preventable deaths "is simple and achievable," adding: "Keeping fit doesn't have to mean sweating it out at the gym."

Activities endorsed in the billboards include washing the car, walking the dog, swimming, gardening, taking the stairs, vacuuming, and, most notably, sex.

Studies have shown that a thrice-weekly romp over the course of a year burns about the same number of calories as running 120 kilometres. Sex has also been found to increase blood flow to the brain, reduce migraine pain, improve the immune system by triggering the hormone DHEA, and lower the likelihood of stroke or heart attack.

There's even a study published in the British Medical Journal showing men aged 45 to 59 with "high orgasmic frequency" have half the mortality risk in terms of coronary heart disease of men less sexually active -- given controls for smoking, cholesterol levels, blood pressure and pre-existing cardiac conditions.

© Times Colonist (Victoria) 2007
      If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

Comment

• What say you?

Group Wants Congress To Adopt 5-Day Weekend
        Travel Campaign Says Americans Work Too Hard

POSTED: 8:25 pm EDT May 1, 2007

CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- It's time to swap Tuesday for Friday, toss out the five-day workweek and allow hardworking Americans a little more down time -- preferably in western North Carolina.

With a straight face, that was the campaign message Tuesday of a group calling itself Friends of the Five Day Weekend that is trying to convince Congress to change the way Americans work - and don't work.

"Maybe our message is crazy," said Roy McCrerey, the organization's charismatic campaign director, as well as an Atlanta-based actor. "But I say our current situation is crazy. We need to fight crazy with crazy."

After all, he said, Congress was in session 104 days last year, which averages out to two days a week.

Behind the so-called grass roots effort is a bold new marketing move by the tourism industry in Asheville, a scenic city in the mountains of western North Carolina near the Blue Ridge Parkway. The idea started as a promotional gimmick by the Asheville Convention and Visitors Bureau, which is spending more than $500,000 on the campaign.

The group used its "Work Less Express" bus, live music and giveaways Tuesday to raise awareness of unused vacation days and pressure Congress for a two-day workweek, conveniently mentioning that Asheville is a place to rest and recharge.

"Do I think it will work? No, but I like the idea," said Eddie David, who showed up at the lunchtime rally in downtown Charlotte. "People are overworked in the United States."

Supporters with picket signs reading "Work Less Live More" walked up and down the sidewalk. They greeted pedestrians and lured them to the rally with stickers, T-shirts and posters.

"I didn't believe it until I saw it," said Rob Simpson, as he gathered up his free goodies and started walking back to his job at Wachovia. "I'd be happy with a four-day workweek and a three-day weekend. Are they really trying to do this?"

With an event staff of about 15, the group has a Web site, a MySpace page and videos on YouTube. Its online and paper petitions to Congress have already drawn more than 2,000 signatures.

But visit the group's Web site, www.fivedayweekend.org, and click on "What To Do in Five Days," and users see that Asheville is behind the campaign. The site can be used to plan a five-day visit to the city.

Friends of the Five Day Weekend kicked off a five-city Southern tour in Asheville last month. The tour visited Atlanta and will end in Raleigh later this month.

"Yeah, it raises people's eyebrows," said Marla Tambellini, assistant vice president and director of marketing for the Asheville visitors bureau. "It's more than just visiting Asheville. The aim is to really get people to think about their vacation time and to not let work dominate the quality of their lives."

According to a 2007 survey by the travel Web site Expedia.com, Americans receive an average of 14 vacation days a year, compared to 36 days in France, 30 in Spain and 26 days in Germany.

The survey found that Americans see the value in vacation, but work can be a deterrent to taking vacations. About 19 percent of the 4,123 adults surveyed said they have canceled or postponed vacation plans because of work.

"I think a lot of people just never get to their vacation, let alone a long vacation," said John A. Challenger, chief executive of Chicago-based outplacement firm Challenger, Gray & Christmas. "I think we feel freer to take a long weekend."

The Asheville group is targeting tourists, but organizers aren't backing down from the campaign's stated federal aspirations.

"We have not ruled out that we can take this to Washington," Tambellini said. "At least we can make a statement."

Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press.

Comment

• And The Dumb Crook Of The Week Award Goes Too...

...Vanna, the envelop please....

Vienna Bank Robber Loses Ski Mask

POSTED: 10:02 am EDT May 3, 2007
          UPDATED: 10:44 am EDT May 3, 2007

VIENNA, Va -- Police in Vienna, Va., are asking for the public's help finding a not-so-smooth bank robber.

The robber was one of two armed men who walked into the Access National Bank in Vienna on April 13.

Video: Watch The Report
          Slideshow: View Bank Robbery Images

As the man tried to jump over the counter, his ski mask fell off.

The robber tried holding the ski mask to his face with one hand while pointing a gun at tellers with the other.

He eventually put down his gun and put the mask on correctly.

Both men got away with an undisclosed amount of money.

Copyright 2007 by nbc4.com.
          -------

UMMM... HOLY CRAP, Batman...??

3,500 Pounds Of Bat Droppings Fill Attic Guano Cleanup Will Cost $25,000

POSTED: 11:15 am EDT May 3, 2007
          UPDATED: 11:42 am EDT May 3, 2007

BALLSTON SPA, N.Y. -- An upstate New York couple didn't think a few bats in the attic were much of a problem when they were buying a house last summer.

Months later, they found out how wrong they were when they discovered more than a ton and a half of bat droppings up there.

Nick LaBoda and Jenna Caputo said a home inspector informed them about the bats. They called an exterminator, who told them to wait a while before removing the bats because the babies were too young to fly.

Then they forgot about the bats until they smelled a foul odor in January. When they checked the attic, they found dead bats and piles of guano.

An exterminator said hundreds of bats had been living in the attic, leaving behind 3,500 pounds of droppings.

It cost $25,000 to clean up the mess, and the couple's insurance company wouldn't cover it. They're fighting it out in court.

Last edited by MalahatTwo7; 05-03-2007, 12:41 PM.

Comment

• Mom's salary $138,095

Times Colonist Published: Thursday, May 03, 2007

NEW YORK (Reuters) -- If the typical stay-at-home mother in the United States were paid for her work as a housekeeper, cook and psychologist among other roles, she would earn $138,095 a year, according to research released Wednesday.

This reflected a three per cent raise from last year's $134,121, according to Salary.com Inc., Waltham, Massachusetts-based compensation experts.

The 10 jobs listed as comprising a mother's work were housekeeper, cook, day-care centre teacher, laundry machine operator, van driver, facilities manager, janitor, computer operator, chief executive officer and psychologist, it said.

The typical mother puts in a 92-hour work week, it said, working 40 hours at base pay and 52 hours overtime.

A mother who holds full-time job outside the home would earn an additional $85,939 for the work she does at home, said Salary.com. Last year she would have earned $85,876 for her at-home work, it said.

Salary.com compiled the online responses of 26,000 stay-at-home mothers and 14,000 mothers who also work outside the home.

© Times Colonist (Victoria) 2007

Comment

• Doctor Finds Spiders in Boy's Ear

Last Edited: Monday, 07 May 2007, 11:30 AM EDT
              Created: Monday, 07 May 2007, 11:30 AM EDT

Credit: MyFox By The Associated Press

ALBANY, Ore. -- These guys weren't exactly Snap, Crackle and Pop. What began as a faint popping in a 9-year-old boy's ear -- "like Rice Krispies" -- ended up as an earache, and the doctor's diagnosis was that a pair of spiders made a home in the ear.

"They were walking on my eardrums," Jesse Courtney said.

One of the spiders was still alive after the doctor flushed the fourth-grader's left ear canal. His mother, Diane Courtney, said her son insisted he kept hearing a faint popping in his ear -- "like Rice Krispies."

Dr. David Irvine said it looked like the boy had something in his ear when he examined him.

When he irrigated the ear, the first spider came out, dead. The other spider took a second dousing before it emerged, still alive. Both were about the size of a pencil eraser.

Jesse was given the spiders -- now both dead -- as a souvenir. He has taken them to school and his mother has taken them to work.

"It was real interesting, 'cause, two spiders in my ear -- what next?" Jesse said.

Copyright 2007 Associated Press.
              -------

UUUUMMMM.... ya.....???
              ======
              It just AINT your day when....

Wisconsin Man's Car Stolen Twice in One Day

Last Edited: Saturday, 05 May 2007, 10:11 AM EDT
              Created: Saturday, 05 May 2007, 10:11 AM EDT

Credit: MyFox SideBar

STEVENS POINT, Wis. -- A Stevens Point man thought he was lucky to recover his car after it was stolen -- until it was stolen again later that day.

York Heiden's pearl-colored 1990 Audi Quattro was stolen from a grocery store parking lot April 27 while his wife was running errands. The keys had been left in it.

Heiden, 36, who owns an automotive repair shop, quickly called some friends and the car was found nearby, without keys.

He said he had a friend disable the car's ignition by removing a coil wire while he left it to pick up a spare key. When he returned, the car was gone. He had forgotten, he said, that the model Audi had a two-coil system and could be driven with just one.

"I was speechless," Heiden said, recalling how he stood where the car had been found, keys dangling from his fingers, the emotional high of finding the car dashed. "All I could do was hold the key up in my hand and look at it."

"Everyone says, 'You shouldn't have left it,'" Heiden said, laughing. "But I know, I know ... So many what-ifs: I shouldn't have done this, I should have taken the tire off."

Police later found the car in the same neighborhood. It had a broken taillight and a broken piece of interior trim.

What did Heiden learn from his ordeal?

"Don't leave your keys in the ignition," he said. "And if you find it, do not leave it."

Copyright 2007 Associated Press.
              Last edited by MalahatTwo7; 05-07-2007, 02:38 PM.

Comment

• Couple Wearing Duct Tape Stick Out At Prom
                Pair Make Formalwear Out Of Duct Tape

POSTED: 4:44 pm EDT May 8, 2007

MILBRIDGE, Maine -- High school seniors Cassandra Openshaw and Nick Martin found themselves in a sticky situation at their prom.

They made their formals out of duct tape.

They used 45 rolls of the handyman's best friend for the big night at Maine's Narraguagus High.

Cassandra said making her skirt wasn't that tough. The hard part was Nick's tuxedo jacket. They said the sleeves kept falling off.

Luckily they had duct tape for repairs. The young couple is entering their duct tape outfits in a contest sponsored by the maker of Duck brand tape.

The winning couple gets $6,000 in scholarships, while their school receives $3,000.

Comment

• LMAO Thats funny as hell
                  Gota be a pict somewhere
                  Firefighter for Vestal 32-2

American Red Cross Volunteer

Comment

• Paris Hilton Dead

Was going to make a new thread, had a "doozy" of a title... but then figured... NAH, not worth it.

Paris Hilton Dead, Naked In New Gallery Sculpture
                    Exhibit Of Socialite Warns Of Underage Drinking Dangers

POSTED: 3:56 pm EDT May 9, 2007
                    UPDATED: 5:27 pm EDT May 9, 2007

NEW YORK -- How did Paris Hilton end up in a former Brooklyn garage -- naked, provocatively posed and seemingly very, very dead?

Of course, it's just a sculpture -- one that graphically depicts an autopsy on the jail-bound, socialite celeb for a show warning teens about underage drinking.

Slideshow: Sculpture Of Nude, 'Dead' Paris Hilton

The sprawled-out "Hilton" clutches a cocktail glass in one hand, a cell phone in the other as her distressed dog, Tinkerbell, jumps across her bare chest. She and the animal wear matching tiaras.

It's one of several whacked-out works that have gotten attention for artist Daniel Edwards. Last August, Edwards flaunted a busty Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton sculpture at Manhattan's Museum of Sex. His earlier works -- of Ted Williams' severed head and a naked Britney Spears giving birth - stirred up other artistic storms.

In the Hilton exhibit, which opens Friday at a gallery run by Capla Kesting Fine Art in the Williamsburg neighborhood, removable "innards" are exhibited on a display stand placed in a sexually suggestive manner next to the "body."

Hilton's spokesman, Elliot Mintz, did not immediately return a call for comment from The Associated Press.

"Around this time of year, I think of a couple of friends I lost in high school because of drinking and driving," said the artist, dressed in snow white as he stood by the feet of his creation on Wednesday.

Edwards said he's using this celebrity "as a vehicle for a public-service announcement, to educate teens."

Edwards started making the work in polyester resin in January after the infamous party girl's arrest. A judge ordered Hilton, 26, to report to a county jail by June 5 to serve a 45-day sentence for violating the terms of her probation in an alcohol-related reckless driving case. Her lawyers have taken steps to appeal the sentence.

The 42-year-old artist, a father of three from Moosup, Conn., acknowledges that Hilton's primary claim to fame is "as a seductress. But I do respect her ability to build this career out of pretty much nothing."

He says his provocative use of empty celebrity, plus the shock factor, "rings a bell, it brings it home. If one person is saved, that's awesome."

Gallery director David Kesting said the sculpture counters a disturbingly glamorized trend of Hollywood girls gone wild. The work, no doubt, is also aimed at making money. Buyers are asked to call Capla Kesting for a price, which was not disclosed.

High school students are encouraged to take a virtual tour of the installation at the exhibit's Web site -- then compete for prizes by writing an "obituary" for the socialite.

If you go to the gallery, by the way, you're encouraged to touch.

Previous Stories:
                    May 8, 2007: Paris Rehires Publicist Put Out To Pasture
                    May 8, 2007: Schwarzenegger Asked To Pardon Paris
                    May 7, 2007: Paris Hilton, Publicist Part Ways
                    May 5, 2007: Paris To Be Isolated For Safety In Jail
                    May 4, 2007: Paris Hilton Sentenced To 45 Days In Jail

Comment

• And now something completely different...

Dead Fawn, Dressed Like Baby, Left At Theater. Incident Baffles Police

POSTED: 8:57 am EDT May 11, 2007

TACOMA, Wash. -- The police log entry said it all: "Deceased fawn was dressed up like an infant and abandoned at the Pantages" Theater.

Why would anyone dress up a dead newborn deer, lay it in a basket and leave it outside an ornate downtown landmark?

"Your guess is as good as mine," said Tom Sayre, a spokesman of The Humane Society for Tacoma and Pierce County.

The outfit included an infant sleeper and a bib that read, "You think I'm cute? You should see my aunt," Sayre added.

An officer found the fawn Tuesday night, said police spokesman Mark Fulghum. It was unclear how the animal died but the odor indicated it had been dead for awhile, he said.

A Humane Society vet thought it might have been stillborn.

"It's just bizarre," Fulghum said.

Comment

• Hello. AT&T....err... I mean.. uumm... Wendy's.. Ya thats it. Wendy's, may I....

Some Wendy's Outsource Drive-Through Orders

POSTED: 6:23 pm EDT May 15, 2007
                        UPDATED: 6:32 pm EDT May 15, 2007

WASHINGTON -- When you place your order at a Wendy's drive through, the voice from the loudspeaker may be coming to you long distance.

USA Today reported that some fast-food restaurants are outsourcing order taking at their drive throughs to a call center in Wilmington, Del. Internet phone lines transmit the orders to 12 agents who flash them to on-site Wendy's crews.

The remote ordering is said to shave milliseconds off of each order, which adds up to millions of dollars saved each year.

The agents taking the orders remotely said that the New York Avenue Wendy's in D.C. has the most demanding customers.

Comment

• What I want to know is what BRIGHT SPARK said "Hey! Here's a monlith, lets climb it." Or even better the other BRIGHTER SPARK who said "Before you try to climb it, I'll grease it up with lard."

Navy Plebes To Make Annual Monument Climb

POSTED: 8:57 am EDT May 17, 2007

ANNAPOLIS, Md. -- Naval Academy plebes (freshmen) will climb the 21-foot Herndon monument Friday morning.

It's the 100th annual climb to the top of the gray obelisk, which marks the end of the plebe's year.

The challenge is made more difficult because the monument is coated with lard.

According to Navy lore, the plebe who replaces a freshman hat on the monument with a midshipman's hat will become the class's first admiral.

The most successful strategies usually involve building some sort of human pyramid, but getting someone to the top can sometimes take hours.

The first recorded time of 12 minutes was in 1959. The fastest time was one minute, 30 seconds recorded in 1969. The longest recorded time of four hours, 5 minutes and 17 seconds was in 1995.

Copyright 2007 by nbc4.com. The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Oh wait. I've answered my own questions....... summed up in one word:

OCCIFERS
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by MalahatTwo7; 05-17-2007, 12:52 PM.

Comment

• Landscape Crew Helps Nab Purse Snatchers
                            Woman Thanks Men For Stopping Suspects

POSTED: 10:07 am EDT May 24, 2007

KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- A group of landscapers on a lunch break surrounded and stopped two alleged purse-snatchers Wednesday afternoon.

The purse was taken from a woman inside McDonald's at Blue Ridge Mall in Kansas City.

The landscapers said that when they saw what happened, they surrounded the two culprits until police arrived.

"I saw two kids go by and I said, 'Hey, you stole that purse, didn't you?' And I ran after them and the rest of my guys jumped up," Joe Martin told KMBC-TV in Kansas City.

"We said, 'Just drop the purse and go. You guys were wrong, we're giving you a chance to go,'" David Brown said.

"When they started acting like they had guns, I wasn't too worried because they'd get one round off, but I knew after that, and they'd be done," Martin said.

Police arrived, and the landscapers said they helped restrain a culprit who was fighting with a female officer. The two juveniles were handcuffed and taken away.

The woman who was robbed thanked the landscapers.

"I'm a Boy Scout leader, and you know you got to do your good turn every day," Martin said.

Two weeks ago, the same landscaping crew helped police nab some armed robbery suspects at 75th Street and Holmes Road.

"We're Crimestoppers," Brown joked.

Distributed by Internet Broadcasting

Comment

• The Great Cheese Caper

Cheese Theft Curdles Driver's Day

POSTED: 9:56 am EDT May 24, 2007
                              UPDATED: 10:17 am EDT May 24, 2007

SNOW SHOE, Pa. -- The big cheese is missing. Or make that the big cheese trailer.

Pennsylvania state troopers reported a big-rig trailer was swiped from a rest stop along Interstate 80 in rural Centre County.

The trailer was loaded with 23,000 pounds of refrigerated cheese.

Troopers said the truck driver had unhooked the trailer and left it at the rest stop to take his tractor to a repair shop. When he returned all the cheese was gone.

There is no word if some giant mice are suspects.

Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press

Comment

• Why would anyone want to take hostages at a McDondalds?

Hostages Freed From Hampton McDonald's

POSTED: 4:17 pm EDT June 4, 2007
                                UPDATED: 5:48 pm EDT June 4, 2007

HAMPTON, Va. -- A SWAT team freed a number of hostages who were being held at a McDonalds restaurant in Hampton Monday afternoon, authorities said.

The man who was holding the hostages is still inside the restaurant, claiming he has a gun.

Police negotiators are at the scene and trying to establish contact with the man. Police said the man has not made any demands.

The hostage situation began at about 2 p.m.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X