Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

Firehouse.com Forum Rules & Guidelines

Forum Rules & Guidelines

Not Permitted or Tolerated:
• Advertising and/or links of commercial, for-profit websites, products, and/or services is not permitted. If you have a need to advertise on Firehouse.com please contact [email protected]
• Fighting/arguing
• Cyber-bullying
• Swearing
• Name-calling and/or personal attacks
• Spamming
• Typing in all CAPS
• “l33t speak” - Substituting characters for letters in an effort to represent a word or phrase. (example: M*****ive)
• Distribution of another person’s personal information, regardless of whether or not said information is public knowledge and whether or not an individual has permission to post said personal information
• Piracy advocation of any kind
• Racist, sexual, hate type defamatory, religious, political, or sexual commentary.
• Multiple forum accounts

Forum Posting Guidelines:

Posts must be on-topic, non-disruptive and relevant to the firefighting community. Post only in a mature and responsible way that contributes to the discussion at hand. Posting relevant information, helpful suggestions and/or constructive criticism is a great way to contribute to the community.

Post in the correct forum and have clear titles for your threads.

Please post in English or provide a translation.

There are moderators and admins who handle these forums with care, do not resort to self-help, instead please utilize the reporting option. Be mature and responsible for yourself and your posts. If you are offended by another member utilize the reporting option. All reported posts will be addressed and dealt with as deemed appropriate by Firehouse.com staff.

Firehouse.com Moderation Process:
Effective immediately, the following moderation process will take effect. User(s) whose posts are determined by Firehouse.com staff to be in violation of any of the rules above will EARN the following reprimand(s) in the moderation process:
1. An initial warning will be issued.
2. A Final Warning will be issued if a user is found to be in violation a second time.
3. A 3-day suspension will be issued if the user continues to break the forum rules.
4. A 45-day suspension will be issued if the user is found to be a habitual rule breaker.
5. Habitual rule breakers that have exhausted all of the above will receive a permanent life-time ban that will be strictly enforced. Reinstatement will not be allowed – there is no appeal process.

Subsequent accounts created in an effort to side-step the rules and moderation process are subject to automatic removal without notice. Firehouse.com reserves the right to expedite the reprimand process for any users as it is deemed necessary. Any user in the moderation process may be required to review and agree to by email the terms and conditions listed above before their account is re-instated (except for those that are banned).

Firehouse.com reserves the right to edit and/or remove any post or member, at any time, for any reason without notice. Firehouse.com also reserves the right to warn, suspend, and/or ban, any member, at any time, for any reason.

Firehouse.com values the active participation we have in our forums. Please ensure your posts are tasteful and tactful. Thank you very much for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Weird But True

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tell this to the dogs....

Barking Not Part Of Free Speech, Court Rules
    Ticket Given While Man Out Of Town

POSTED: 9:37 am EDT March 23, 2007

Freedom of speech is guaranteed by the Constitution, but what about the freedom to bark?

The North Dakota Supreme Court has rejected a claim that an anti-barking ordinance is unconstitutional.

Fred Kilkenny got a ticket for his barking dogs in Belfield, N.D., even though he was in Mississippi at the time helping Hurricane Katrina victims. His lawyer argued that Belfield's anti-barking law is too vague to be fairly enforced.

But the judges on the state's high court saw no reason to muzzle local officials. The ruling noted that similar dog-barking ordinances have constitutional teeth.

Kilkenny may take his case to the U.S. Supreme Court.
    Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Comment

• Hmmm. I dunno about this one....

Nude Chocolate Jesus Angers Catholic League
      Candy Statue Created Anatomically Correct

POSTED: 8:31 pm EDT March 29, 2007

NEW YORK -- The Easter season unveiling of a milk chocolate sculpture of Jesus Christ, dubbed "My Sweet Lord" by its creator, left a sour taste Thursday in the mouths of a Catholic group infuriated by the anatomically correct confection.

"This is one of the worst assaults on Christian sensibilities ever," said Bill Donohue, head of the watchdog Catholic League. "It's not just the ugliness of the portrayal, but the timing -- to choose Holy Week is astounding."

The 6-foot sculpture by artist Cosimo Cavallaro was to debut Monday evening, the day after Palm Sunday and just four days before Roman Catholics mark the crucifixion of Jesus Christ on Good Friday. The final day of the exhibit at the Lab Gallery inside midtown Manhattan's Roger Smith Hotel was planned for Easter Sunday.

"The fact that they chose Holy Week shows this is calculated, and the timing is deliberate," said Donohue, whose group represents 350,000 Catholics nationwide.

He called for an economic boycott of the hotel, which he described as "already morally bankrupt."

The gallery's creative director, Matt Semler, said the Lab and the hotel were overrun with angry telephone calls and e-mails about the exhibit. Although he described Donohue's response as "a Catholic fatwa," Semler said the gallery was considering its options amid the criticism.

"We're obviously surprised by the overwhelming response and offense people have taken," said Semler, adding that the Holy Week timing was an unfortunate coincidence. "We are certainly in the process of trying to figure out what we're going to do next."

The artwork was created from more than 200 pounds of milk chocolate, and it features Christ with his arms outstretched as if on an invisible cross. Unlike the typical religious portrayal of Christ, the Cavallaro creation does not include a loincloth.

Cavallaro, who was raised in Canada and Italy, is best known for his quirky work with food as art: Past efforts include repainting a Manhattan hotel room in melted mozzarella, spraying 5 tons of pepper jack cheese on a Wyoming home and festooning a four-poster bed with 312 pounds of processed ham.

The Christ sculpture will be on display April 2-7 from 6 p.m. to 7 p.m., with a final showing from midnight to 1 a.m. on Easter Sunday. Its location on the first floor ensures attention from the thousands of passers-by in the busy neighborhood just north of Grand Central Terminal.

Semler was particularly upset by the call for a boycott of the hotel, which he said was not involved in the selection of "My Sweet Lord."

It's not the first time that Donohue's group and the art world have been at odds. A painting of "The Holy Virgin Mary" that used a splash of elephant dung drew outrage in 1999.

Attached Files
      If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

Comment

• Your thoughts on this one?

Owner Says Dog Did Heimlich To Save Her
        Golden Retriever Apparently Saves Choking Owner

POSTED: 8:43 am EDT March 28, 2007

CALVERT, Md. -- The owner of a 2-year-old golden retriever said her dog saved her life when she choked on a piece of fruit.

Debbie Parkhurst, 45, said she was eating an apple Friday when it lodged in her throat. After trying to perform the Heimlich maneuver on herself, she said, she began pounding on her chest.

That got the attention of Toby, who she said pushed her to the floor. She said he then began jumping up and down on her chest until the fruit came loose.

She told The Cecil Whig that her doctor said she probably wouldn't be alive if it wasn't for the dog's actions.

Related Link:

How To Perform Heimlich Maneuver

Comment

• It takes all kinds, I guess....

Woman On Horseback Charged With DUI. Police Say Woman Rammed Car With Horse

POSTED: 9:26 pm EDT April 3, 2007

SYLVANIA, Ala. -- An Alabama woman was arrested for riding a horse while under the influence of a controlled substance and using the animal to ram a police car.

Sylvania police arrested 40-year-old Melissa Byrum York around midnight Sunday. She was charged with seven counts that included DUI, animal cruelty and second-degree assault.

John Seals, the arresting officer, said he had to get back in his car and follow York after she allegedly coaxed the horse into a trot. Seals pulled his car in front of the horse to try to get her to stop. She allegedly rammed the horse into the car and went about 50 more yards and tried to jump off, but York caught her foot in the stirrups.

Police said they also seized a small amount of marijuana, some crystal methamphetamine and several pills.

Sylvania Police Chief Brad Gregg said his office may change the assault charge to criminal mischief.

York, who already had warrants for her arrest, was being held in the DeKalb County Jail on a $4,000 bond.

Comment

• You be the judge. Victoria City Police had a similar incident about 5 years ago. They picked up a "beligerent" person thought to be on drugs and alcohol, loaded him into an "overnight tank" and pretty much left him to sleep it off. When they came to check on him later he was found dead. Autopsy report indicated that the overdose was actually a medical condition, and not alcohol or drug related. There is a wrongful death suit still going on, as far as I can recall.

Bodybuilder Charged After Diabetic Episode
            Man Maced, Wrestled To Ground

POSTED: 7:36 pm EDT April 3, 2007

REDWOOD CITY, Calif. -- A bodybuilder was sprayed with Mace and wrestled to the ground by police officers in Redwood City who believed he was intoxicated when he was actually going through insulin shock.

Despite the misunderstanding, Doug Burns was arrested on charges of misdemeanor assault and resisting arrest following the incident at a downtown movie theater Sunday night.

Authorities said the 43-year-old Burns assumed a fighting stance and it took four officers to restrain him.

Burns, who was trying a new diabetes drug that night, said Monday he was preparing to see a film when he felt dizziness and poor vision -- a sign of low blood sugar -- and hurried to a snack counter.

A security guard who thought he was intoxicated asked him to leave. When he refused, the guard called police.

An on-scene medical test later confirmed that Burns had low blood sugar during the incident

Burns won first prize in the 2006 Mr. Natural Universe competition and often speaks publicly about his diabetes to raise awareness of the disease.

Comment

• But did his breath smell fresh ?

Copied from :
              www.waynetimes.com

This cake really sucks!

It all began on Monday when State Trooper Fred Sousa, responded to a domestic situation on Jenkins Road in the Town of Galen .

Taken into custody was Eric W. Hall, age 22, of that address. He at first lied about his identity and upon correct identification was arrested for False Impersonation. It was also discovered that Hall, who has a very extensive police record, was wanted on numerous warrants in Wayne, Monroe and other counties, mostly for writing bad checks.

Hall was arraigned and remanded to jail. His future mother-in-law reportedly bailed him out on the original charge, but police agencies were lined up with their warrants.

Next in line was the Wayne County Sheriff's office, then the Palmyra Police who arrested, arraigned and jailed Hall on two bad check charges in the Village. On his way back to jail, Hall told police he was not feeling well and perhaps it was all the ecstasy pills he had digested the day before.

Once he was booked into jail, Hall admitted to the booking officers that he had indeed ingested something. While being held at the Palmyra Police holding cell, Hall had sucked on the toilet cake inside the jail toilet.

Hall was taken to the hospital for observation and released. His plan to not be jailed and hopefully get married to his sweetie the next day and start a new job and turn his life around was foiled. He was jailed and then taken into custody by Monroe County where he was arraigned in various municipalities and jailed.

Comment

• Ever get the impression that some days just "aint your day"?

Comment

• Originally posted by MalahatTwo7 View Post
                  It takes all kinds, I guess....

Woman On Horseback Charged With DUI. Police Say Woman Rammed Car With Horse
                  you think that's bad?

Zamboni driver skates by drunken driving law

NEWARK, New Jersey (AP) -- It's not drunken driving in New Jersey if it involves a Zamboni.

A judge ruled the four-ton ice rink-grooming machines aren't motor vehicles because they aren't useable on highways and can't carry passengers.

Zamboni operator John Peragallo had been charged with drunken driving in 2005 after a fellow employee at the Mennen Sports Arena in Morristown, New Jersey, told police the machine was speeding and nearly crashed into the boards.

Police said Peragallo's blood alcohol level was 0.12 percent. A level of 0.08 is considered legally drunk in New Jersey.

Peragallo appealed, and Superior Court Judge Joseph Falcone on Monday overturned his license revocation and penalties.

"It's a vindication for my client," Peragallo attorney James Porfido said after the hearing. "It's the right decision."

Morris County Assistant Prosecutor Joseph D'Onofrio said no decision had been made on whether to appeal.

Peragallo, 64, testified at his trial that he did drink beer and vodka, but not until after he had groomed the ice. However, he told police he had a shot of Sambuca with his breakfast coffee and two Valium-pills before work.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/04/03/new...ml?eref=rss_us
                  If my basic HazMat training has taught me nothing else, it's that if you see a glowing green monkey running away from something, follow that monkey!

FF/EMT/DBP

Comment

• 700-Pound Woman Rescued From Bathroom

POSTED: 3:46 pm EDT April 3, 2007
                    UPDATED: 4:20 pm EDT April 3, 2007

TRENTON, N.J. -- It took nearly seven hours and the demolition of a bathroom, but a rescue crew was able to remove a woman weighing more than 700 pounds from her New Jersey home.

They were called to the Trenton home shortly before 6 p.m. Monday following reports the woman had fallen and injured herself in her second-floor bathroom.

Firefighters eventually had to dismantle the toilet and radiator, and then rip out part of a wall and window to create a hole large enough to remove the woman with a fire truck's large rescue basket.

The unidentified woman is listed in fair condition at a Trenton hospital.

The fire chief said there are indications the woman hadn't been on the first floor of her home since November.

First in, Last out, nobody left behind.....

Comment

• Flaming Bride?

Now this is a heck of a way to start a new life together. Wonder if he will "learn to regret his actions"?

Bride's House Burns Down Hours Before Wedding
                      But Nuptials Go On

POSTED: 8:23 am EDT April 10, 2007

MARTINSVILLE, Va. -- Lisa Nelson calls her husband the bravest man she's ever seen.

As her house went up in flames hours before their wedding, Rocky Nelson rescued his mother from the blaze, then rescued his tuxedo.

The couple married 12 hours later on Saturday at a church in Ridgeway. They'd been together for five years, and Rocky said they'd already made plans.

Several relatives -- including Rocky Nelson's parents -- were staying at the house Friday night when it caught fire.

He helped his mother escape from the house, grabbed his tux and unhooked the home's propane tanks, throwing them away from the flames.

Martinsville fire officials were still trying to determine the cause of the fire, which destroyed the house.

The blaze derailed the couple's plans to spend their first days as a married couple in Pigeon Forge, Tenn. They are honeymooning instead in Martinsville.

The newlyweds aren't sure where they're going to live, but Lisa Nelson said what's important is that they still have their family.

Comment

• Few people have picked up the taste, even when spiced with New Orleans flair

Va. Takes Aim At Orange-Toothed, Marsh-Munching Pests
                        Animal Droppings Not Good News

POSTED: 9:35 am EDT April 10, 2007

VIRGINIA BEACH, Va. -- Poop does not lie. And there was plenty of nutria poop to be side stepped last week at Back Bay National Wildlife Refuge.

"See, it looks like a burned hush puppy... " said Todd Barnes, president of a local conservation group, as he pointed to a specimen. "But it certainly wouldn't taste as good."

The animal droppings are not good news to Barnes and others trying to preserve Back Bay, a shallow and stressed estuary along the Atlantic Ocean at the marshy southern tip of Virginia Beach.

The poop indicates the not-so-subtle presence of nutria, an orange-toothed rodent native to South America. Resembling big muskrats, nutria were imported to the United States in the 1930s for their fur, and showed up in Virginia in the early 1950s.

When the fur-farming experiments went bust, most nutria were set free. They have since become notorious for tearing up and damaging marshes and wildlife habitat in more than a dozen states, from Oregon to Louisiana, and along the Chesapeake Bay.

Accompanying Barnes on a tour of several affected waterfowl ponds last week were officials from the U.S. Department of Agriculture's wildlife division, the Back Bay Restoration Foundation and the chief biologist at the federal refuge, John Gallegos.

Gallegos invited the USDA officials to Back Bay, hoping to tap their expertise in combating nutria.

One expert, Stephen Kendrot, has led efforts at controlling an infestation at Blackwater National Wildlife Refuge on Maryland's Eastern Shore, where thousands of the invasive rodents helped to turn 8,000 acres of thriving marsh into denuded mudflats.

Over the past five years, and with about $5 million in congressionally approved money, Kendrot and an army of 18 staffers have used traps, guns and dogs to kill about 10,000 nutria within the Blackwater refuge. The eradication program continues.

At Back Bay last week, Kendrot peeked through clumps of marsh grass and reeds along the freshwater ponds. He stopped to investigate a failing embankment, pockmarked by cup-sized holes.

Kendrot bent down and noticed a claw-like paw print in the mud.

"Oh yeah," he said, "that's nutria."

Virginia so far has been spared an onslaught of these prolific breeders and eaters. Only a handful of colonies have been confirmed to date, all in the eastern part of the state.

The pests, which can grow to about 20 pounds each and about 3 feet in length, are suspected of migrating here from northeast North Carolina.

"We keep our fingers crossed," said Suzanne Baird, manager of the Great Dismal Swamp National Wildlife Refuge in Chesapeake and Suffolk.

Baird said a group of 20 to 50 nutria were located on the refuge a few years ago and were almost immediately trapped or shot by trained staffers. Few, if any, remain.

The Virginia Department of Game and Inland Fisheries classifies nutria as a "nuisance species," one of 10 in the state. The status means that nutria can be killed without penalty or permit throughout the year.

John Runge, who lives on Nawney Creek, which feeds into Back Bay, has taken advantage of the nuisance declaration. Runge told officials during a visit to his home that he shot two nutria just the previous night.

The beaver-like rodents for years have tunneled under the banks of his creekside yard, Runge said, causing sink holes and ruts that can turn lawn mowing into a risky adventure.

"You can come out here at night and just see them swimming all around," he said.

Back Bay is considered the largest haven for nutria in Virginia today. But they have not amassed in such numbers -- at least not yet -- to warrant a major counter offensive from their primary predator: man.

"Yes, I'm concerned they're here," said Gallegos, the Back Bay biologist. "But it's important to stress that we do not have a serious problem; we have a potential problem."

Chiefly, Gallegos is nervous that freshwater impoundments intended to shelter migrating birds and waterfowl will be compromised by nutria tunnels and burrows. Dykes and berms separating the impoundments might erode or even fail, he said, messing up a carefully managed ecosystem.

Gallegos said he likely will endorse a small-scale trapping program. "I'd like to try a little program myself," he said. "See if that helps."

Barnes and Gallegos speculated that populations naturally thinned in the 1980s and '90s because Back Bay lost much of its aquatic grasses, which nutria love to eat, and because an invasive reed called phragmites took over the shoreline.

Nutria, it turns out, do not find phragmites especially appetizing. They like softer plants, such as clover, as well as tubers and roots. Nutria are strictly vegetarians.

Controlling the rodents is made more difficult by their reproductive prowess. Females become sexually mature as young as 4 months old, and they typically give birth to two or three litters per year.

"The females are pretty much pregnant the whole time," Kendrot said.

Nutria like the South because they hate the cold. If temperatures dip below freezing for several days or weeks, up to 90 percent of them can die. Pieces of their rat like tails are known to simply fall off because of frostbite.

Because of their size and ferocity when cornered, nutria have few natural predators. Officials said they have heard stories of nutria tearing up dogs, foxes and bobcats that have tried to tangle with them.

All of which leaves humans to cope with nutria's special survival skills.

Attempts have been made to market the rodents as food, especially in Louisiana and Texas. But their meat is dark and quite greasy, comparable to squirrel, and few people have picked up the taste, even when spiced with New Orleans flair.

It is one reason that England decided to simply wipe out the species, which was causing ecological damage along that nation's river systems. It took six years for government-employed hunters to do so, Kendrot said, adding that about 200,000 of the animals were killed.

The British architect of that program advised Kendrot and other U.S. officials in preparing their Blackwater eradication.

"They're a fascinating species, for sure," Kendrot told the Back Bay Restoration Foundation. "But you need to be careful. They can get out of hand very quickly."

Comment

• "FireComm, this is Engine 402 on scene at a .... ummm.. aaahhh.... Oh man how to explain this one?"

Toilet Fires Lead To Recall. Toto Leads Japan In High-Tech Toilets

POSTED: 3:06 pm EDT April 17, 2007

Talk about a hot seat.

Japan's leading toilet maker, Toto, is offering free repairs for 180,000 bidets after wiring problems caused a few to catch fire.

A company spokeswoman said the electric bidet accessory caught fire in three separate incidents between March 2006 and March 2007.

"Fortunately, nobody was using the toilets when the fire broke out, and there were no injuries," she said.

Toto has been a pioneer in high-tech toilets fitted with pressurized water sprayers -- a standard fixture in Japanese homes.

The model is not sold outside of Japan.

I always thought Toto was either a wee little dust mop of a dog from Wizard of Oz or a 1980s rock band.....??

Comment

• Ummm ok... sure....

Man Plasters Stickers Of Ex-Girlfriend Around Town
                            Ex-Boyfriend Gets Four Months In Jail

POSTED: 7:54 am EDT April 14, 2007

MANTORVILLE, Minn. -- A man accused of printing up stickers with his ex-girlfriend's picture, phone number and the words "call me now for the best," has been sentenced to four months in jail.

Thomas Carl Tiedeman, 62, pleaded guilty in December to a felony harassment charge, authorities said.

The Kasson Police Department received reports in September that someone was placing the stickers on vehicles and buildings. Police searched Tiedeman's home and found the photo used on the stickers. Tiedeman admitted to police that he had printed about 20 stickers and placed them on vehicles, authorities said.

Tiedeman also was ordered to serve five years on probation, perform 32 hours of community service and pay a $100 fine.

Comment

• Too bad there are no pictures, butcha gotta wonder what the water is like in Ohio these days....

'Half deer, half ram' roam Ohio woods. By AP

CHESTERLAND, Ohio -- Is it a goat? Is it a sheep? No, it's a ... what is that thing?

Even Sgt. Debbie Davis said her Internet searches have failed to identify the "half deer, half ram" she's seen while on patrol.

Cleveland Zoo reviewed the photos and speculated they could be tahrs (a wild goat indigenous to Asia) or mouflons (a wild sheep found in Europe and Asia).

Zoo experts believe the animals could have been dumped or escaped from captivity.

There are no plans to trap the animals. "We're not looking to run them out," police Chief Mark Purchase said. "But we would like to know what they are."

Comment

• Watch Out - Grandma's Got Gun!

Miss America 1944 Shoots Out Thieves' Tires. Dogs Alerted 82-Year-Old To Looting

POSTED: 7:05 pm EDT April 21, 2007

WAYNESBURG, Ky. -- Miss America 1944 has a talent that likely has never appeared on a beauty pageant stage: She fired a handgun to shoot out a vehicle's tires and stop an intruder.

Venus Ramey, 82, confronted a man on her farm in south-central Kentucky last week after she saw her dog run into a storage building where thieves had previously made off with old farm equipment.

Ramey said the man told her he would leave. "I said, 'Oh, no you won't,' and I shot their tires so they couldn't leave," said Ramey, formerly of Cincinnati.

She had to balance on her walker as she pulled out a snub-nosed .38-caliber handgun.

"I didn't even think twice. I just went and did it," she said. "If they'd even dared come close to me, they'd be 6 feet under by now."

Ramey then flagged down a passing motorist, who called 911.

Curtis Parrish of Ohio was charged with misdemeanor trespassing, Deputy Dan Gilliam said. The man's hometown wasn't immediately available. Three other people were questioned but were not arrested.

After winning the pageant with her singing, dancing and comedic talents, Ramey sold war bonds and her picture was adorned on a B-17 that made missions over Germany in World War II, according to the Miss America Web site.

Ramey lived in Cincinnati for several years and was instrumental in helping rejuvenate Over-the-Rhine historic buildings. She returned to Kentucky in 1990 to live on her farm.

"I'm trying to live a quiet, peaceful life and stay out of trouble, and all it is, is one thing after another," she said.

Attached Files

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X