Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

Firehouse.com Forum Rules & Guidelines

Forum Rules & Guidelines

Not Permitted or Tolerated:
• Advertising and/or links of commercial, for-profit websites, products, and/or services is not permitted. If you have a need to advertise on Firehouse.com please contact [email protected]
• Fighting/arguing
• Cyber-bullying
• Swearing
• Name-calling and/or personal attacks
• Spamming
• Typing in all CAPS
• “l33t speak” - Substituting characters for letters in an effort to represent a word or phrase. (example: M*****ive)
• Distribution of another person’s personal information, regardless of whether or not said information is public knowledge and whether or not an individual has permission to post said personal information
• Piracy advocation of any kind
• Racist, sexual, hate type defamatory, religious, political, or sexual commentary.
• Multiple forum accounts

Forum Posting Guidelines:

Posts must be on-topic, non-disruptive and relevant to the firefighting community. Post only in a mature and responsible way that contributes to the discussion at hand. Posting relevant information, helpful suggestions and/or constructive criticism is a great way to contribute to the community.

Post in the correct forum and have clear titles for your threads.

Please post in English or provide a translation.

There are moderators and admins who handle these forums with care, do not resort to self-help, instead please utilize the reporting option. Be mature and responsible for yourself and your posts. If you are offended by another member utilize the reporting option. All reported posts will be addressed and dealt with as deemed appropriate by Firehouse.com staff.

Firehouse.com Moderation Process:
Effective immediately, the following moderation process will take effect. User(s) whose posts are determined by Firehouse.com staff to be in violation of any of the rules above will EARN the following reprimand(s) in the moderation process:
1. An initial warning will be issued.
2. A Final Warning will be issued if a user is found to be in violation a second time.
3. A 3-day suspension will be issued if the user continues to break the forum rules.
4. A 45-day suspension will be issued if the user is found to be a habitual rule breaker.
5. Habitual rule breakers that have exhausted all of the above will receive a permanent life-time ban that will be strictly enforced. Reinstatement will not be allowed – there is no appeal process.

Subsequent accounts created in an effort to side-step the rules and moderation process are subject to automatic removal without notice. Firehouse.com reserves the right to expedite the reprimand process for any users as it is deemed necessary. Any user in the moderation process may be required to review and agree to by email the terms and conditions listed above before their account is re-instated (except for those that are banned).

Firehouse.com reserves the right to edit and/or remove any post or member, at any time, for any reason without notice. Firehouse.com also reserves the right to warn, suspend, and/or ban, any member, at any time, for any reason.

Firehouse.com values the active participation we have in our forums. Please ensure your posts are tasteful and tactful. Thank you very much for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Weird But True

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Man Sets Self On Fire After School Breaks Renamed
    Public School Board Renames Breaks After Christian Holidays

POSTED: 12:31 pm EST December 26, 2006

BAKERSFIELD, Calif. -- An unidentified man upset with a decision made by school board members in Kern County, Calif., used flammable liquid to set himself on fire Friday in protest.

Trustees of the Kern High School Board voted to change the names of winter and spring breaks to Christmas and Easter vacation Thursday.

He had a sign that read "(expletive) the religious establishment and KHSD," said Kern County Sheriff's Deputy John Leyendecker.

After he had burst into flames, a sheriff's deputy ordered him to drop to the ground. The deputy and a parole agent then sprayed him with fire extinguishers.

The man suffered first-degree burns on his shoulders and arms. He had been wearing a sign that protested, what he called, the religious establishment and the school district.

A fire official said the man also set fire to a Christmas tree, an American flag and a revolutionary flag replica in a public area. He stood with an American flag around his shoulders and poured the liquid over himself. The flaming tree ignited the liquid.

Copyright 2006 by The Associated Press.

Job security?
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Comment

• December 28, 2006 -- Lots of people are tired when they go to bed - but not quite like this guy in Seattle. He was sleeping when a car crashed into his apartment and landed on top of his bed - with one tire resting on him. Police said it was a miracle that he escaped serious injury. As for the driver and passenger, they fled into nearby woods and are still being sought.
      ALL GAVE SOME BUT SOME GAVE ALL
      NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
      CAPT. Frank Callahan Ladder 35 *
      LT. John Ginley Engine 40
      FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40
      FF. Jimmy Giberson Ladder 35
      FF. Michael Otten Ladder 35 *
      FF. Steve Mercado Engine 40 *
      FF. Kevin Bracken Engine 40 *
      FF. Vincent Morello Ladder 35
      FF. Michael Roberts Ladder 35 *
      FF. Michael Lynch Engine 40
      FF. Michael Dauria Engine 40

Charleston 9
      "If my job was easy a cop would be doing it."
      *******************CLICK HERE*****************

Comment

• HAHAHAHA

Crew said it will be convenient to have to remember only one birthday for her children. But anyone thinking of a three-peat can think again.

"I got my girl and I got my boy. I'm done," she said.

Mom Gives Birth For 2nd Straight Christmas
        Both Siblings' Arrivals Premature

UPDATED: 4:21 pm EST December 27, 2006

INDIANAPOLIS -- Christmas is definitely a day to remember in this family.

Neither of Brandi Crew's children was expected to be born anywhere near Christmas, but early arrivals ensured their birthdays will be easy to remember.

Crew gave birth to her son, Zachary, on Christmas Day at Methodist Hospital in Indianapolis, one year to the day that his sister, Bethany -- also a preemie -- was born there.

"It's like he was in competition already with his sister," Crew said, a day after Zachary's birth.

Zachary came seven weeks early, weighing 3 pounds and 1 ounce. Like his sister did, he will have to stay at Methodist's neonatal intensive care unit for several weeks.

Crew and the children's father, Charles Learned II, said they are thankful for both. Crew said Bethany's survival encourages her.

"(Zachary) is premature and they have him on a breathing machine, but they expect him to do fine like she was," Crew said.

The siblings' Christmas arrivals may be a first for Methodist.

"I've been here 28 years, and ... I've not seen a family have one child on Christmas and return the next year and have another baby as a Christmas baby," said Rita Hall, a registered nurse at the neonatal intensive care unit.

Crew said it will be convenient to have to remember only one birthday for her children. But anyone thinking of a three-peat can think again.

"I got my girl and I got my boy. I'm done," she said.

Distributed by Internet Broadcasting.
        Attached Files
        If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

Comment

• December 30, 2006 -- Elvis has left the building...try this http://www.iacoj.com/index.php
          ALL GAVE SOME BUT SOME GAVE ALL
          NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
          CAPT. Frank Callahan Ladder 35 *
          LT. John Ginley Engine 40
          FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40
          FF. Jimmy Giberson Ladder 35
          FF. Michael Otten Ladder 35 *
          FF. Steve Mercado Engine 40 *
          FF. Kevin Bracken Engine 40 *
          FF. Vincent Morello Ladder 35
          FF. Michael Roberts Ladder 35 *
          FF. Michael Lynch Engine 40
          FF. Michael Dauria Engine 40

Charleston 9
          "If my job was easy a cop would be doing it."
          *******************CLICK HERE*****************

Comment

• We laughed, we cried, we ranted and raved, ooh'd and ah'd, entertained and were entertained in return, and last but not least, we shared 3 1/2 years of weird ***** that happens out there in this crazy world we live in!!!

Thanks to all who made her one of the top threads on FH, but especially Ray, without whom it never would have existed in the first place, or lived so long.

July 30, 2003 -- A 90-year-old Oregon woman fed up with the cockroaches in her bedroom began roasting them alive with a portable blowtorch - and nearly burned her house down.
            Firefighters in Kenton raced to the home of Ona Bates to find flames pouring out. The home sustained $4,500 in damages.

"I've heard this one before. I don't know where they get the idea to do it," Fire Bureau spokesman Neil Heesacker told The Oregonian.
            Bye bye Weird But True, FH version. Hello new IACOJ version
            September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
            IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
            Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

Comment

• THE END

And the curtain drops ....

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
              Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

Comment

• Originally posted by RspctFrmCalgary View Post
                THE END

And the curtain drops ....
                No. I dont think that will happen. As with the Thread Killer, this will "live on in infamy...."

Comment

• *shrugs* I tried.

Don't see why not though. The main posters are Ray, Ed, you and me. Rarely does anyone else ever post a weird but true story.

So if the 4 of us don't post, I think it would probably die. As much as threads ever really "die" on here LOL.

Sheri
                  Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

Comment

• Not So!!!!!!

Originally posted by RspctFrmCalgary View Post
                    *shrugs* I tried.

Don't see why not though. The main posters are Ray, Ed, you and me. Rarely does anyone else ever post a weird but true story.

So if the 4 of us don't post, I think it would probably die. As much as threads ever really "die" on here LOL.
                    We, as a mere onlookers, enjoy your collective efforts--do not sell yourselves short,guys!

And by the way--Happy and Prosperous New Year
                    Last edited by 2andfrom; 12-30-2006, 08:14 PM. Reason: Bit to quick on the trigger finger!

Comment

• Originally posted by RspctFrmCalgary View Post
                      *shrugs* I tried.

Well, two things have it "going" in this forum. one, not everyone belongs to IACOJ, and two... I dont spend a lot of time over there either..... soo..... Here I am!

Comment

• Well, although it was noted on the tv news this morning at 630am, there is nothing in the online stuff that I can find so far. Anyhow, Malahat27 almost "caught" his first Virginia fire last night, at approx 1830hrs, 30 Dec. Was riding with the Medics when the entire station got called out for a "fill the box" fire alarm at a condo complex near Tysons Corner Mall. The initial and subsquent reports were a car drove into one of the condos, striking a gas meter, and that fire was climbing the outter wall of the complex. Although the closest I got was to see the flames from the road side, we were there for 3hrs, providing ALS coverage.

For us it turned out to be a whole lotta "Hurry up and wait", but this marks my first attendance to a fire in the 13 months I've been with the station. Over the entire shift period, we were called out 6 times, with only one transport. Two other transports were turned over to a BLS car.

HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE!

Comment

• Man Saved After Call From Inside Trash Truck

POSTED: 2:29 pm EST January 3, 2007

OAK PARK, Mich. -- Authorities said a man who fell asleep in a trash container awoke inside a garbage truck, but was saved after making a frantic call to police.

The truck was about to compact its load.

The man told 911 operators that he'd dozed off in a trash container and woke up in a garbage truck. That call came in to police in Oak Park, Mich., outside Detroit. An officer said the guy didn't know where he was.

Police said they had to stop all garbage trucks in the area after the call came in, but they were not able to locate the man right away. As police began checking on garbage trucks, they lost contact with the man, whose cell phone battery fell out. But in the nick of time, one officer spotted a truck that was stopped, with the driver compacting a load. The officer banged on the side -- and someone responded.

The driver emptied his trash into the parking lot and out fell the man, who said he'd been looking for bottles to collect the deposit on. He wasn't hurt.

Police said the man was not homeless, but unemployed and was trying to make ends meet.

Distributed by Internet Broadcasting Systems, Inc. The Associated Press contributed to this report.

------

Tower Of London Getting First Female Beefeater

POSTED: 7:43 am EST January 3, 2007

LONDON -- The Beefeater job is going co-ed.

After 500 years as a males-only profession, the Tower of London is getting its first female guard.

A tower spokeswoman said they're now in the process of hiring the female Yeoman Warder who beat out five males for the job.

Her name hasn't been released yet, but the spokeswoman says she's a member of Britain's armed forces who will start her new job at the end of the summer.

Warders initially had the job of providing security for the 900-year-old fortress. However, the uniformed guards now spend most of their days maneuvering tourists around the castle and posing for pictures.

They were nicknamed Beefeaters because of the meat rations they were given during medieval times.

Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press.
                          Last edited by MalahatTwo7; 01-04-2007, 10:08 AM.

Comment

• Luther Crowel invented the paper sack on January 5, 1859.Said he'd been dating some ugly women and somebody had to do something.

In 1889,axe murderer William Kimler was the first ever to executed in New York by use of the electric chair,which was supposed to be more humane than hanging.
                            They had to zap him 17 times before it would work.Kimler's last words were"Get some rope!".

From Tim Wilson's Gettin' my Mind right"album 1999.

Comment

• Originally posted by doughesson View Post
                              Luther Crowel invented the paper sack on January 5, 1859.Said he'd been dating some ugly women and somebody had to do something.
                              Thats why I like working at international events so much. I always tell my crews, "Why use your "flag when you can borrow someone elses?"

**not that I have ever done that - and it works well for BOTH sexes**

Comment

• May be a repeat but I didnt check

Oct 26, 2006 6:14 am US/Mountain
                                Body Fat Starts Funeral Home Fire

SALT LAKE CITY Fire investigators say body fat is the cause behind a blaze that broke out at a Salt Lake City funeral home.

The fire started on Tuesday at the Gardner Funeral Home.

Fire officials say workers were cremating the remains of a man who weighed more than six-hundred pounds when some of the body fat liquefied and leaked out.

Fire officials say the fat caused a blaze similar to a grease fire. Employees were able to put the blaze out with a fire extinguisher before firefighters arrived. However, fire crews help with smoke removal.

The funeral home did not suffer any damage.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X