Clear All
  • RspctFrmCalgary
    Forum Member
    • May 2002

Yooohoo, Ray!

Originally posted by MalahatTwo7
    Mom Pregnant With Twins Rescues Woman From Fire. Rescued Woman Is Paralyzed

POSTED: 8:55 am EDT July 12, 2006

ALBION, Mich. -- Jessica Bates is a very pregnant hero.

The 22-year-old is about to give birth to twin girls any day now. But that didn't stop her from rushing into a burning house to help a paralyzed neighbor in Albion, Mich.

Bates was sitting up late Saturday night when she heard Barbara Wellman, 45, crying for help across the street. Wellman is paralyzed from the waist down and uses a wheelchair.

"I heard someone say, 'Help me, help me,' and I thought I heard someone say, 'My hair's on fire,' " Bates told The Jackson Citizen Patriot.

She went outside and saw flames through a neighbor’s window. Bates rushed to Wellman's apartment to help her, managing to drag the woman’s wheelchair by the foot pedals to the sidewalk.

She then banged on other people's doors to warn them. Another neighbor, 18-year-old Dion Newton, grabbed a hose and doused the flames before firefighters could arrive.

Bates told the Jackson Citizen Patriot she knew she was taking a chance, but couldn't leave her neighbor in the burning building.

"I don't look at it as being a hero, I just looked at it like helping someone," she said. "I knew it was a risk to myself, but I couldn't leave her."

The cause of the fire is still unknown.

Distributed by Internet Broadcasting Systems, Inc. The Associated Press contributed to this report.
    Hey Ray .... LOOK UP a couple of posts LOL hehehehe
    September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

Comment

• NYSmokey
      This space for rent
      • May 2001

Originally posted by RspctFrmCalgary
      Hey Ray .... LOOK UP a couple of posts LOL hehehehe
      I was going to say the same thing but I figured there was a method to his madness
      Tom

Never Forget 9-11-2001

Stay safe out there!

IACOJ Member

Comment

• RspctFrmCalgary
        Forum Member
        • May 2002

It isn't the first time Ray's done that, I just like teasing him about it when he does though!
        September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
        IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
        Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

Comment

• E40FDNYL35
          FIREMAN 1st GRADE(ret)
          • Jan 1999

:o OH.....i knew i saw that some place.
          Last edited by E40FDNYL35; 07-14-2006, 05:36 AM.
          ALL GAVE SOME BUT SOME GAVE ALL
          NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
          CAPT. Frank Callahan Ladder 35 *
          LT. John Ginley Engine 40
          FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40
          FF. Jimmy Giberson Ladder 35
          FF. Michael Otten Ladder 35 *
          FF. Steve Mercado Engine 40 *
          FF. Kevin Bracken Engine 40 *
          FF. Vincent Morello Ladder 35
          FF. Michael Roberts Ladder 35 *
          FF. Michael Lynch Engine 40
          FF. Michael Dauria Engine 40

Charleston 9
          "If my job was easy a cop would be doing it."
          *******************CLICK HERE*****************

Comment

• E40FDNYL35
            FIREMAN 1st GRADE(ret)
            • Jan 1999

July 14, 2006 -- Weekend duffer Dave Vonderau has never hit a hole in one, but his 8-year-old son has. Not once, but twice. Little Harrison Vonderau used a pitching wedge for the first ace and a 9-iron for the second during a father-son tourney on a par-29 golf course in Cleveland. It's probably the only time dad didn't mind that his son isn't a chip off the old block.
            NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
            FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40

Charleston 9

Comment

• E40FDNYL35
              FIREMAN 1st GRADE(ret)
              • Jan 1999

July 15, 2006 -- In Galt, Missouri. Residents in this small town are grumbling about a bizarre crime spree that has some recalling a Christmas tree caper in the 1980s. Vandals swept through Monday and Tuesday, stealing U.S. flags - even those on churches. At least 10 are missing. "This is a good town, a blessed town," said the Rev. Stan Richardson of the Galt Christian Church, which not only had its American flag stolen, but its Christian flag inverted and raised back on the pole. "But this isn't good, and it doesn't feel good," Richardson said. The Rev. Gene Schreffler of Galt Baptist Church, whose flag was also stolen, and said the spree reminds him of the time a stolen Christmas tree garnered national media attention. "We're trying to build the pride in our town back up," Schreffler said. "(The thefts) have hurt our feelings." Grundy County Deputy Tim Phipps said he has few leads but suspects juveniles. Authorities are offering a reward for information.
              NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
              FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40

Charleston 9

Comment

• tbonetrexler
                Forum Member
                • May 2005

Originally posted by E40FDNYL35
                Grundy County Deputy Tim Phipps said he has few leads but suspects juveniles.
                Damn kids....

Wait a minute, I am one of those damn kids, DOH!

PS. Not one of the Flag stealers, just a damn kid in general
                Do a little dance, make a little rum, Italian Ice! Italian Ice!

Actual lyric: Do a little dance, make a little love, get down tonight, get down tonight.
                (KC & The Sunshine Band "Do A Little Dance")

My thoughts are mine alone and do not represent the thoughts of any Organization to which I am affiliated.

Comment

• MalahatTwo7
                  MembersZone Subscriber
                  • Mar 2002

Tattoo hangover. Body art, often an expression of love or rebellion, can sometimes turn out to be a painful regret

Lorrayne Anthony, The Canadian Press Published: Friday, July 14, 2006
                  Rebecca Cherry calls it the three-month curse.

That's usually how long it takes for people to regret that they've had someone's name tattooed on their body, she finds.

"We've had people get divorced within three months of getting it," said Cherry, the manager of Way Cool Tattoo and Piercing in Oakville, Ont.
                  In her experience, people with second thoughts often come back asking about ways to remove, change or disguise their new body art within 90 days.
                  In Victoria, anyone younger than 16 won't have a chance to legally obtain a tattoo. The Capital Regional District on Wednesday introduced a bylaw requiring people to be 16 years of age before they can get a tattoo.
                  The tattoo is sometimes an act of bold rebellion, or the indelible outcome of a lust- or booze-induced euphoria. But it's not easy to treat the hangover.
                  Dr. Sachit Shah sees about 20 to 30 patients every day who want their tattoos removed at his B.C. Laser and Skin Care Clinic in Vancouver.

He said there are two types of patients: Those who regret their alcohol or love-fuelled decision to get a tattoo; and those who like their tattoo, but need it removed for career purposes.

For Lon Katzmann, who was slightly envious of his pals in the Navy with tattoos, it was being in love in the 1960s that prompted him to walk into a tattoo parlour and ask that the name of his then-girlfriend be injected onto his left bicep.

His girlfriend liked it so much, she agreed to become his wife.

But some time after marrying his third wife, he rethought the tattoo. Removal was too painful, not to mention costly, he said.

He decided his skin art would evolve into something more artistic and appropriate.

The simple lettering "Carole" morphed into a more embellished "Cindy," his third wife's name. Eventually an eagle and clouds disguised any names.
                  "Now you can't see a woman's name there -- not even my daughter's -- anymore," said Katzmann, talking on his cellphone during a walk in his hometown of Oakville. "I've had some large work done to cover up those other ones."

While names have given rise to other images, he hasn't messed with the picture of his daughter, all smiles at age two, he had done on his left shoulder.

"I never regretted any of them, it was just there was something else."
                  And he has always adhered to his strict personal rule about no tattoos on body parts that would be visible while wearing a suit.

Among celebrities, Johnny Depp altered "Winona Forever" to read "Wino Forever" after he and Winona Ryder split.

Angelina Jolie tried to have "Billy Bob" removed from her arm after she and Billy Bob Thornton parted company, but she was left with an ugly smudge. Recently, Jolie tattooed over it with the longitudes and latitudes of Cambodia and Ethiopia, where two of her three children were born.

In Vancouver, Shah's many patients included a female judge who came in with a tattoo at the base of her neck. As a lawyer it didn't bother her, but she thought it didn't befit a judge who would have to wear formal attire to many functions throughout her tenure.

Then there was a man who was brought in by his very irate wife. He had gone to Las Vegas with some of his pals and returned home with a picture of an extremely well-endowed woman on each arm.

"She was mad ... in a wild state," Shah said of the wife, adding that the man, who continued to apologize to his wife throughout the consultation, was filled with remorse.

"There's nothing like a woman who is angry."

Shah also told of a Vancouver Casanova who has been tattooing his name on the derrieres of women after he's had sex with them. Some of the women later came to Shah seeking the removal of their ex's name.

"I've had four girls come in ... he brands them," he said, adding that there are probably more who are too embarrassed to come in. "The guy is a total jerk."
                  In Oakville, Cherry said she advises people to re-think names, no matter how in love they are.

"They get the speech: 'We do this for a living... We don't really recommend it... these are the reasons...' And then they go ahead and do it anyway," she said.

To remove the unwanted art, Shah puts his patient under a local anaesthetic. He then uses a special laser to break down the ink. The body's white blood cells then dispose of the ink.

It takes several treatments over the course of six months to a year to be rid of the tattoo. Beginning at $50 per treatment, removal usually costs 10 times what the tattoo cost, Shah says. One of his clients spent $37,000 to get a large tattoo removed from his back.

And then there is the wait factor.

One young woman came in after having permanent makeup -- lips and eyeliner -- tattooed on her face. But the lip tattoo was done by an inexperienced artist and the woman was left with one side of her lip appearing bigger than the other, he said.

The woman was in tears, but Shah wouldn't touch the tattoo for three months until the ink set. In the early days, tattoo ink is mobile and the laser would spread the ink, staining the skin, he said.

Instead the clinic counselled her and taught the young woman how to camouflage the mistake with makeup until she could come in for the removal. Other methods of tattoo removal include creams, dermabrasion and excision.
                  Creams are applied topically and are meant to fade the ink. Dermabrasion, performed under local anaesthetic or sedation, involves using a rotary abrasive instrument to remove the skin. Excision is when the tattoo is actually cut out of the skin and the surrounding flesh is sutured together. Larger tattoos could require taking skin from another part of the body for a skin graft.

Removing the art from his skin is not something Katzmann thinks about despite the diminishing free space on his upper body.

"I have no drunken tattoos," he said, noting his German family crest, Bible verses and a crucifix on his back. "Every one I've had I've thought out."
                  "I'm not ashamed at all. I'm walking right now in a muscle shirt on the busiest street ... everybody stares but that's OK. How else do you get attention when you are 66?"

© Times Colonist (Victoria) 2006
                  If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Comment

• E40FDNYL35
                    FIREMAN 1st GRADE(ret)
                    • Jan 1999

July 15, 2006 -- Workers in a store in Blyth, England, who regularly play the lottery together won with all 28 of their tickets. The 28 colleagues won a share of the $7.9 million jackpot with six correct numbers, plus 12 payouts for having five matching numbers and 15 for having four matching numbers. Because there were so many other winners in the drawing, their total haul came to only $1,150,000 - or $41,070 each.
                    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
                    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40

Charleston 9

Comment

• E40FDNYL35
                      FIREMAN 1st GRADE(ret)
                      • Jan 1999

A Long Island judge had a bone to pick yesterday with a man who says he has a 9/11-related disability that requires him to sunbathe nude with his dog on Fire Island. "I haven't seen any evidence that would suggest that this dog is trained in some way connected to your medical or physical condition," Central Islip Federal Judge Joseph Bianco told Mark DelCore at a hearing. DelCore is suing officials of the Fire Island National Seashore, where pooches are banned, to make an exception for his rat terrier, Cheekies. DelCore, 39, claims he suffers from a skin condition and posttraumatic stress disorder as a result of the terror attack and that the dog provides him with "psychological support." DelCore, who competed as a bodybuilder in the 1998 Gay Games, did not bring Cheekies to court yesterday and later told reporters that the stress of filing a suit may be too much for him to continue. "I have to decide whether the amount of energy I am spending on this makes it worthwhile," he said.
                      NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
                      FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40

Charleston 9

Comment

• E40FDNYL35
                        FIREMAN 1st GRADE(ret)
                        • Jan 1999

July 16, 2006 -- Joe Schreiber isn't mayor anymore, but he wants to wear the shirt. Problem is, city commissioners in Tamarac, Fla., have agreed to pass a resolution prohibiting former elected officials from using the city seal without permission. Vice Mayor Ed Portner threatened to have Schreiber, 83, removed from a city meeting for wearing his red polo shirt with the word "mayor" and the city seal on it.
                        NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
                        FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40

Charleston 9

Comment

• tbonetrexler
                          Forum Member
                          • May 2005

Originally posted by E40FDNYL35
                          A Long Island judge had a bone to pick yesterday with a man who says he has a 9/11-related disability that requires him to sunbathe nude with his dog on Fire Island. "I haven't seen any evidence that would suggest that this dog is trained in some way connected to your medical or physical condition," Central Islip Federal Judge Joseph Bianco told Mark DelCore at a hearing. DelCore is suing officials of the Fire Island National Seashore, where pooches are banned, to make an exception for his rat terrier, Cheekies. DelCore, 39, claims he suffers from a skin condition and posttraumatic stress disorder as a result of the terror attack and that the dog provides him with "psychological support." DelCore, who competed as a bodybuilder in the 1998 Gay Games, did not bring Cheekies to court yesterday and later told reporters that the stress of filing a suit may be too much for him to continue. "I have to decide whether the amount of energy I am spending on this makes it worthwhile," he said.
                          WTF?
                          Do a little dance, make a little rum, Italian Ice! Italian Ice!

Actual lyric: Do a little dance, make a little love, get down tonight, get down tonight.
                          (KC & The Sunshine Band "Do A Little Dance")

My thoughts are mine alone and do not represent the thoughts of any Organization to which I am affiliated.

Comment

• E40FDNYL35
                            FIREMAN 1st GRADE(ret)
                            • Jan 1999

July 17, 2006 -- A five-hour standoff between police and an allegedly suicidal woman in Washington state ended peacefully because, well, the woman wasn't there. Port Angeles cops surrounded the woman's house for most of the afternoon and tried to communicate with her via phone and bullhorn. But a bomb-squad robot later entered the house and found no one home. An erroneous 911 call seemed to be to blame. :o
                            NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
                            FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40

Charleston 9

Comment

• adamkhalil
                              Forum Member
                              • Jun 2004

I thought this was going to be about the highway chase involving the RV haha.

Comment

• E40FDNYL35
                                FIREMAN 1st GRADE(ret)
                                • Jan 1999

July 18, 2006 -- A prostitute who has been working the streets of a German city for nearly a half-century is being hailed as a local luminary. "Brigitte," a blonde working girl who claims to be in her 60s, has spent 47 years on the job in the city of Koblenz. Producers of a short promotional film for the city, "You Are Koblenz," have hired the veteran hooker to be in their flick, alongside other local celebrities. City boosters don't seem to mind. "Brigitte is probably the only prostitute in the world who is also a town landmark," said tour guide Manfred Gniffke.
                                NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
                                FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40