Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

Firehouse.com Forum Rules & Guidelines

Forum Rules & Guidelines

Not Permitted or Tolerated:
• Advertising and/or links of commercial, for-profit websites, products, and/or services is not permitted. If you have a need to advertise on Firehouse.com please contact [email protected]
• Fighting/arguing
• Cyber-bullying
• Swearing
• Name-calling and/or personal attacks
• Spamming
• Typing in all CAPS
• “l33t speak” - Substituting characters for letters in an effort to represent a word or phrase. (example: M*****ive)
• Distribution of another person’s personal information, regardless of whether or not said information is public knowledge and whether or not an individual has permission to post said personal information
• Piracy advocation of any kind
• Racist, sexual, hate type defamatory, religious, political, or sexual commentary.
• Multiple forum accounts

Forum Posting Guidelines:

Posts must be on-topic, non-disruptive and relevant to the firefighting community. Post only in a mature and responsible way that contributes to the discussion at hand. Posting relevant information, helpful suggestions and/or constructive criticism is a great way to contribute to the community.

Post in the correct forum and have clear titles for your threads.

Please post in English or provide a translation.

There are moderators and admins who handle these forums with care, do not resort to self-help, instead please utilize the reporting option. Be mature and responsible for yourself and your posts. If you are offended by another member utilize the reporting option. All reported posts will be addressed and dealt with as deemed appropriate by Firehouse.com staff.

Firehouse.com Moderation Process:
Effective immediately, the following moderation process will take effect. User(s) whose posts are determined by Firehouse.com staff to be in violation of any of the rules above will EARN the following reprimand(s) in the moderation process:
1. An initial warning will be issued.
2. A Final Warning will be issued if a user is found to be in violation a second time.
3. A 3-day suspension will be issued if the user continues to break the forum rules.
4. A 45-day suspension will be issued if the user is found to be a habitual rule breaker.
5. Habitual rule breakers that have exhausted all of the above will receive a permanent life-time ban that will be strictly enforced. Reinstatement will not be allowed – there is no appeal process.

Subsequent accounts created in an effort to side-step the rules and moderation process are subject to automatic removal without notice. Firehouse.com reserves the right to expedite the reprimand process for any users as it is deemed necessary. Any user in the moderation process may be required to review and agree to by email the terms and conditions listed above before their account is re-instated (except for those that are banned).

Firehouse.com reserves the right to edit and/or remove any post or member, at any time, for any reason without notice. Firehouse.com also reserves the right to warn, suspend, and/or ban, any member, at any time, for any reason.

Firehouse.com values the active participation we have in our forums. Please ensure your posts are tasteful and tactful. Thank you very much for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Weird But True

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I found Shawn's Were-Rabbit

Giant Rabbit Is As Big As 3-Year-Old

POSTED: 4:48 pm EDT July 19, 2004
    UPDATED: 5:14 pm EDT July 19, 2004

A 27-pound rabbit from Holland is believed to be the world's longest rabbit, according to a Local 6 News report.

Roberto the 2-year-old Continental Giant is almost 4 feet long and sleeps on a dog's bed because he can't fit into a normal-sized hutch. Roberto is larger most 3-year-old children, according to the report.

Although Roberto is believed to be the world's biggest bunny, Guinness World Records said it has stopped listing "biggest animal" titles out of fear that it may lead to people deliberately overfeeding their pets to win the coveted title.

Continental Giant rabbits can live for up to 12 years, suggesting that with at least 10 years left, Roberto may still have a bit of growing to do.

Watch Local 6 News for more on this story.

Copyright 2004 by Internet Broadcasting Systems and Local6.com.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Comment

• Originally posted by MalahatTwo7
      I found Shawn's Were-Rabbit

Giant Rabbit Is As Big As 3-Year-Old

POSTED: 4:48 pm EDT July 19, 2004
      UPDATED: 5:14 pm EDT July 19, 2004

A 27-pound rabbit from Holland is believed to be the world's longest rabbit, according to a Local 6 News report.

Roberto the 2-year-old Continental Giant is almost 4 feet long and sleeps on a dog's bed because he can't fit into a normal-sized hutch. Roberto is larger most 3-year-old children, according to the report.

Although Roberto is believed to be the world's biggest bunny, Guinness World Records said it has stopped listing "biggest animal" titles out of fear that it may lead to people deliberately overfeeding their pets to win the coveted title.

Continental Giant rabbits can live for up to 12 years, suggesting that with at least 10 years left, Roberto may still have a bit of growing to do.

Watch Local 6 News for more on this story.

Copyright 2004 by Internet Broadcasting Systems and Local6.com.
      Maybe that is where the Fluffy Killer Bunnies came from?
      Shawn M. Cecula
      Firefighter
      IACOJ Division of Fire and EMS

Comment

• Originally posted by Lewiston2Capt
        Maybe that is where the Fluffy Killer Bunnies came from?

Wots he do? Nibble yer bum?

Ohhh now you've done it. You got me so worked up, I've soiled me armour. You Scots Git!
        If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

Comment

• Originally posted by MalahatTwo7
          Wots he do? Nibble yer bum?

Ohhh now you've done it. You got me so worked up, I've soiled me armour. You Scots Git!
          Couldnt help it, as soon as I saw this was in Britian, I started hearing coconut shells clapping together.
          Shawn M. Cecula
          Firefighter
          IACOJ Division of Fire and EMS

Comment

• April 12, 2006 -- Sip this drink slowly. Very slowly!
            This year's Kentucky Derby will feature a mint julep made from one of the state's finest bourbons, mint from Morocco, ice from the Arctic Circle and sugar from the South Pacific - and it'll be served in a gold-plated cup with a silver straw. The cost of the drink: $1,000. Spending a grand on a cocktail at the Derby: priceless.
            ALL GAVE SOME BUT SOME GAVE ALL
            NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
            CAPT. Frank Callahan Ladder 35 *
            LT. John Ginley Engine 40
            FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40
            FF. Jimmy Giberson Ladder 35
            FF. Michael Otten Ladder 35 *
            FF. Steve Mercado Engine 40 *
            FF. Kevin Bracken Engine 40 *
            FF. Vincent Morello Ladder 35
            FF. Michael Roberts Ladder 35 *
            FF. Michael Lynch Engine 40
            FF. Michael Dauria Engine 40

Charleston 9
            "If my job was easy a cop would be doing it."
            *******************CLICK HERE*****************

Comment

• Nanaimo man pays for party antics in thong

Published: Wednesday, April 12, 2006

NANAIMO -- A 62-year-old man is paying the price after he attempted to recapture his youth by dancing at a party in a leopard-print thong.

The Nanaimo man was fined $805 Tuesday in provincial court as a consequence of his actions at his son's New Year's Eve party.

The man pleaded guilty to assaulting a police officer and simple assault.

The trouble began when the inebriated man arrived home with his wife during his son's party, said Crown prosecutor Ron Parsons.

The man began to make innuendoes to some of the young women at the party and dropped his pants to show his leopard-print thong.

At one point, he grabbed one young woman, would not let her go, and tried to kiss her.

As the party spun out of control, police were called.

The man punched one RCMP officer in the mouth and hit the officer on the head with a partially filled one-litre plastic pop bottle.

Defence lawyer Victor Svacek said the man was mixing Prozac with alcohol that night and is extremely remorseful. "He was trying to be a teenager again," Svacek said.

He said his client, Alan Bethell, has made his peace with his wife, although he remains at odds with his son.

© Times Colonist (Victoria) 2006

Comment

• April 14, 2006 -- No fun on campus!
                Sophomore Jeremiah Ransom was dressed in his best ninja get-up as he dashed across the University of Georgia campus during a student game of "pirate vs. ninja" - when he was tackled by gun-toting federal agents from the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives. "It was surreal . . . I heard someone yell, 'Freeze!' At first, I thought a friend was playing a joke," Ransom said. The agents, on the Athens campus for a school project, had thought Ransom was a terrorist. ...better safe then sorry.
                NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
                FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40

Charleston 9

Comment

• Ex-manager acquitted in sexual assault on busboy

By ERIC HARTLEY, Staff Writer
                  A former manager at an Eastport restaurant was acquitted yesterday of sexual assault charges in a brutal attack on a young dishwasher.

Edward J. Farrell, 45, had faced felony assault and sex offense charges. Annapolis police said the 18-year-old was violated with a garden hose in an alley outside the Boatyard Bar and Grill.

The young man suffered severe colon damage and underwent surgery twice. But after a two-day trial, Circuit Court Judge Joseph P. Manck said he was left with too many questions about what happened early on June 27 of last year.

"This is obviously an incredibly bizarre case," Judge Manck said. "I just am not convinced of the defendant's guilt beyond a reasonable doubt."

Mr. Farrell, who lives outside Annapolis, declined to comment as he left the courtroom. He chose to have a judge decide the case instead of a jury.

The dishwasher, who had a blood-alcohol content of 0.28 percent at the hospital after the attack, testified through a Spanish interpreter that hedidn't remember anything between drinking tequila with Mr. Farrell after closing time and waking up in the emergency room. To get to such a high blood-alcohol level would take at least a dozen drinks in an hour for a 165-pound man.

Police found the dishwasher naked and lying in the alley after a silent burglar alarm at the Boatyard went off about 2:40 a.m. The Capital doesn't identify victims of sexual assault.

Yesterday morning, Mr. Farrell testified that the dishwasher himself turned the garden hose on and sprayed it around the alley.

Mr. Farrell said he wanted to give the man a ride home, but got tired of trying to help a "falling-down drunk" who wouldn't cooperate and decided to go have a drink at Davis' Pub, a couple of blocks away.

But Davis' was closed, and as he came back to get his truck and head home, Mr. Farrell decided to check the kitchen door because the latch hadn't been closing correctly, he said.

Mr. Farrell testified that he walked into the alley just as a police officer got there and didn't know the dishwasher was on the ground until the officer shined her flashlight. He said he lied when he told the officer he didn't know the man on the ground.

"I was afraid of losing my job and what it looked like," he said.

Mr. Farrell was fired days after his arrest. The Boatyard's owner said it was for violating closing policy.

Assistant State's Attorney Frank J. Ragione Sr. suggested that Mr. Farrell is gay and was "grooming" the dishwasher, feeding him shots and flirting as the restaurant closed. Mr. Ragione argued that Mr. Farrell later took advantage of the man after he passed out in the alley.

The dishwasher, who had worked at the Boatyard for less than two months and has since left, testified that Mr. Farrell held women's clothes up to him at one point and said, "You look pretty in this."

Bartender Natalie Baranyk, who was at the Boatyard after closing that night, testified that Mr. Farrell was being "overly friendly, almost flirtatious" with the dishwasher before she went home.

Mr. Ragione said Mr. Farrell's story - that he left an employee stumbling drunk in an alley, fully clothed and spraying a garden hose around, then coincidentally returned and found the man naked just as police arrived - wasn't credible.

Mr. Farrell admitted his decisions that night weren't smart, but said he was drunk, too, having had about six drinks before and during his shift and several shots of tequila afterward. He repeatedly testified that he didn't remember details of the night.

Defense lawyer T. Joseph Touhey suggested the dishwasher slipped and fell on the hose as he was trying to give himself a "shower" to sober up.

The Anne Arundel Medical Center surgeon who operated on the man testified that was very unlikely, given the size of a garden hose.

"It would be hard for me to imagine the nozzle being accidentally inserted in there by being clumsy or by slipping and falling," said Dr. Steven Proshan, a colon and rectal surgeon

Comment

• Everything about that story is just F'D man!! What an ugly picture in my head now *shudders*
                    September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
                    IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
                    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

Comment

• April 15, 2006 --When it comes to baseball, stealing bases is fair play. But stealing bleachers? That's foul. Thieves have swiped $4,000 worth of aluminum bleachers - seating for about 100 - from baseball diamonds in a park in Lorain, Ohio. Officials believe they're cashing in - aluminum scrap sells for 50 cents a pound.
                      NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
                      FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40

Charleston 9

Comment

• Leave a penny, take a penny -- and wind up rich.
                        April 15, 2006 -- A coin collector and former vice president of the American Numismatic Association is crisscrossing Manhattan this week and deliberately spending three rare one-cent coins. Scott A. Travers says one of the coins, a penny from 1909, could be worth more than one-thousand dollars. Travers says he hopes the exercise will get people caught up in what he calls the magic of coin collecting. The other two pennies are from 1908 and 1914.

A penny for your thoughts.....
                        NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
                        FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40

Charleston 9

Comment

• I'd love to, but I can't make change on a penny since I don't have enough to make it a penny's worth.

Comment

• After 14 days trapped in the innards of a Greenwich Village building, Molly the cat finally emerged wearing a look on her face that said, "What's all the fuss about?" As a crowd of reporters and onlookers jostled for a glance, the 11-month-old black cat appeared docile and unscathed despite her ordeal, which came to a happy end on Friday after a volunteer pulled her to safety from a crawl space. "I think you'll all agree that she is in great shape," said a proud Peter Myers, a delicatessen owner in the building who kept Molly in his store to catch mice. Molly's distressed meows - audible from the sidewalk outside the building - became international news, and rescuers worked almost around the clock for her safe retrieval. The activity began after the cat wandered into a narrow space between walls and got lost in the building's complex network of beams and pipes. Those involved in the rescue effort drilled and hammered out bricks in the cellar of the 157-year-old edifice, trying everything from special cameras to traps to locate her and get her out. Kittens were used as bait to appeal to Molly's maternal side. A pet psychic and self-described "cat therapist" even stopped by to offer a hand. But in the end, it was good old-fashioned elbow grease that got the job done. Rescuers drilled a hole in the wall from inside the store, cutting through layers of brick to get to Molly, said Mike Pastore, field director for Animal Care & Control of New York City, a private organization with a city contract to handle lost, injured and unwanted animals. A cat that has spent nearly two weeks trapped between two New York City buildings remains out of reach of animal rescuers. A-P correspondent Warren Levinson reports. Animal Care & Control will set up a link on its Web site for people to donate to help with repairs at the deli. Molly was finally retrieved by Kevin Clifford, a tunnel worker at a project nearby who had been volunteering for the rescue effort. "I gave what they needed, and lent a hand to it," he said. The animal didn't come easily at first, said Pastore. "It was twisting and turning, paws were flying everywhere," he said. "It took a little struggle to put her back in a cage." Molly's first meal? Nibbles of roasted pork, sardines in oil and water, Myers said. Hearty fare, but perhaps not surprising for a feline who spends her time in Myers of Keswick, a deli specializing in meat pies, clotted cream and other British food specialties. "I'm amazed at how well she looks," Myers said. "She always was a fit cat, otherwise she wouldn't have survived 14 days in that hole."
                            NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
                            FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40

Charleston 9

Comment

• April 16, 2006 -- A Wisconsin town is suddenly not so pleasant as its name, now that a diaper dumper who befouled a ditch by a rural roadside in January has struck again. Residents of Mount Pleasant said more than a dozen soiled adult diapers were again dumped in the middle of the night recently, with no sign of the culprit.
                              NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
                              FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40

Charleston 9

Comment

• Nude wave yoga

Yolanda Brooks, CanWest News Service Published: Monday, April 17, 2006

Naked classes for guys take off in Vancouver; so far, women less flexible

"You drop your ego immediately," says Ron Stewart, who runs a naked yoga class for men in downtown Vancouver.

Published: Monday, April 17, 2006

From hot to hatha, kids' sessions to Kundalini, there's no shortage of yoga classes to choose from. Now there's a brash newcomer -- naked yoga.

But don't get too excited yet -- this is mostly a male-only trend. And the question remains: Are people ready to shed their clothes, as well as their egos, and let it all hang loose?

The answer seems to be yes. A respectable number of men have signed up to take part in a series of classes from Vancouver's Skyclad Yoga, run by professional dancer and hatha yoga instructor Ron Stewart.

He launched naked classes for guys after waiting in vain for someone else to lead the way.

"I have always had an interest in practising yoga naked, primarily because when you wear clothes you feel them, and I wanted to just be able to feel my body," he says.

"It just seemed quite natural to me that a spiritual and physical practice be done naked."

Stewart, 44, insists that his classes are not designed for exhibitionists and narcissists. In the nude, he explains, the spiritual aspects of yoga are much more central to the practice.

"You drop your ego immediately, which is what yoga is all about. It's about the mind and body, developing the intellectual as well as the physical."

After a trial run in January, Stewart has launched twice-weekly naked hatha classes, which he describes as moderate to challenging.

They take place on the fifth floor of an old heritage building in Vancouver's Gastown which features exposed brick walls and polished wooden floors, but little in the way of mirrors to provide additional distractions.

And to ensure there's no commotion on the streets below, the windows are covered.

While a few attendees have admitted to their own inner turmoil before class, Stewart says any tension caused by the exposure of flesh is soon relinquished.

"In the first session, there was a bit of apprehension as to when to get naked," he admits.

"But once a few people started to take their clothes off, it was an invitation to everyone. After that first day, it was just natural for guys to just come into the room to undress, set up their mats and often they would just sit and meditate until the beginning of class.

"Once things got going, it was the same as any other class," he says.

"It didn't feel like the nudity provided a distraction. "

As to the question on the lips of most straight men who have heard about the class: No, it's not a cover for a gay social.

"There is no sort of sexual energy and there is a mix of gay and straight men," says Stewart. "It really felt like the guys were coming together and they wanted to practise yoga. I feel like we're building a bit of a community."

However, women, at least in Vancouver, don't seem as eager to doff their Lululemons -- nude yoga for women has yet to find a toehold here. Clothes-free classes for women were offered this year by instructor Eila Morag, but she had few takers and the classes were cancelled.

But the co-owner of a Vancouver gym, Kurt Luzny, suggests it's only a matter of time before nude yoga catches on with women.

"I think women tend to be more private about their bodies, but nude yoga is not about sex," Luzny, of Weights gym, says.

"It is about removing barriers and engaging in a spiritual activity.

"We have put out exploratory feelers about women's classes and, from the response of some of the women that have contacted us, there is definitely interest out there."

Although there aren't enough participants for a regular all-female class, Weights recently launched a nude co-ed class.

And plans are in the works for a nude couples' class.

With warmer weather on the way, Stewart's students have a suggestion for the next step of the naked revolution.

"They talk about having classes outdoors in the summer, but I'm not entirely sure where we would do that," he says with a laugh. And even if he doesn't get many takers for alfresco yoga in the buff, one thing's for sure -- he would get plenty of spectators.

On the web: www.weights101.com

© Times Colonist (Victoria) 2006

**just remember folks, I don't write this stuff.**

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X