Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

Firehouse.com Forum Rules & Guidelines

Forum Rules & Guidelines

Not Permitted or Tolerated:
• Advertising and/or links of commercial, for-profit websites, products, and/or services is not permitted. If you have a need to advertise on Firehouse.com please contact [email protected]
• Fighting/arguing
• Cyber-bullying
• Swearing
• Name-calling and/or personal attacks
• Spamming
• Typing in all CAPS
• “l33t speak” - Substituting characters for letters in an effort to represent a word or phrase. (example: M*****ive)
• Distribution of another person’s personal information, regardless of whether or not said information is public knowledge and whether or not an individual has permission to post said personal information
• Piracy advocation of any kind
• Racist, sexual, hate type defamatory, religious, political, or sexual commentary.
• Multiple forum accounts

Forum Posting Guidelines:

Posts must be on-topic, non-disruptive and relevant to the firefighting community. Post only in a mature and responsible way that contributes to the discussion at hand. Posting relevant information, helpful suggestions and/or constructive criticism is a great way to contribute to the community.

Post in the correct forum and have clear titles for your threads.

Please post in English or provide a translation.

There are moderators and admins who handle these forums with care, do not resort to self-help, instead please utilize the reporting option. Be mature and responsible for yourself and your posts. If you are offended by another member utilize the reporting option. All reported posts will be addressed and dealt with as deemed appropriate by Firehouse.com staff.

Firehouse.com Moderation Process:
Effective immediately, the following moderation process will take effect. User(s) whose posts are determined by Firehouse.com staff to be in violation of any of the rules above will EARN the following reprimand(s) in the moderation process:
1. An initial warning will be issued.
2. A Final Warning will be issued if a user is found to be in violation a second time.
3. A 3-day suspension will be issued if the user continues to break the forum rules.
4. A 45-day suspension will be issued if the user is found to be a habitual rule breaker.
5. Habitual rule breakers that have exhausted all of the above will receive a permanent life-time ban that will be strictly enforced. Reinstatement will not be allowed – there is no appeal process.

Subsequent accounts created in an effort to side-step the rules and moderation process are subject to automatic removal without notice. Firehouse.com reserves the right to expedite the reprimand process for any users as it is deemed necessary. Any user in the moderation process may be required to review and agree to by email the terms and conditions listed above before their account is re-instated (except for those that are banned).

Firehouse.com reserves the right to edit and/or remove any post or member, at any time, for any reason without notice. Firehouse.com also reserves the right to warn, suspend, and/or ban, any member, at any time, for any reason.

Firehouse.com values the active participation we have in our forums. Please ensure your posts are tasteful and tactful. Thank you very much for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Weird But True

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OOOOPPPSSSS

Man Is Charged $4,300 for Four Burgers
    The Associated Press Tuesday, March 28, 2006; 7:15 AM

PALMDALE, Calif. -- Four burgers at his neighborhood Burger King cost George Beane a whopping $4,334.33.

Beane ordered two Whopper Jr.s and two Rodeo cheeseburgers when he pulled up to the drive-through window last Tuesday. The cashier, however, forgot that she'd entered the $4.33 charge on his debit card and punched in the numbers again without erasing the original ones _ thus creating a four-figure bill.

The electronic charge went through to George and Pat Beane's Bank of America checking account and left the couple penniless. Their mortgage payment was due and they worried checks they had written would bounce, Pat Beane said.

"We were thinking, 'No, not now!'" she said of the overcharge.

Terri Woody, the restaurant manager, said Burger King officials tried to get the charge refunded. But the bank said the funds were on a three-day hold and could not be released, Pat Beane said.

The hold is designed to prevent customers from spending money that no longer is available in their accounts and to let the bank confirm a transaction is legitimate before transferring funds, said Bank of America supervisor Joel Solorio.

Burger King did not charge the Beanes for their meal, and the couple got their $4,334.33 back on Friday.

"For those three days, those were the most expensive value burgers in history," Pat Beane said.

Information from: Antelope Valley Press, www.avpress.com
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Comment

• OOPPPSSS

Wife, 77, Left Behind At Store On Vacation

POSTED: 11:36 pm EST March 30, 2006
      UPDATED: 11:46 pm EST March 30, 2006

TUCUMCARI, N.M. -- A 77-year-old Minnesota woman said she's not angry with her husband for leaving her behind as they traveled through New Mexico.

Regina Vogt said it was "just a misunderstanding."

But she said she was really surprised to walk out of a Wal-Mart and discover the motor home in which she and her husband arrived was gone.

Lloyd Vogt said he drove off, thinking she was sleeping in the back.

The retirees had stopped at the store last week on their way home to Rochester, Minn. They went in separately and never ran into each other.

Regina Vogt settled in at the store's snack bar and waited, while police put out an alert for her husband.

Hours later, state police spotted the motor home on a street in Tucumcari, where it had run out of fuel.

State police arranged a three-car relay to reunite the couple.

Copyright 2006 by The Associated Press.
      If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

Comment

• April 3, 2006 -- It's been a long strange trip for Jerry Garcia's toilet - somebody stole the late Grateful Dead star's salmon-colored commode from the driveway of his former home in Marin County, Calif. "It's a little gross," said Jonathon Lipsin, who worked for Garcia as a gardener. "But I could see it at a rock 'n' roll museum, too."
        ALL GAVE SOME BUT SOME GAVE ALL
        NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
        CAPT. Frank Callahan Ladder 35 *
        LT. John Ginley Engine 40
        FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40
        FF. Jimmy Giberson Ladder 35
        FF. Michael Otten Ladder 35 *
        FF. Steve Mercado Engine 40 *
        FF. Kevin Bracken Engine 40 *
        FF. Vincent Morello Ladder 35
        FF. Michael Roberts Ladder 35 *
        FF. Michael Lynch Engine 40
        FF. Michael Dauria Engine 40

Charleston 9
        "If my job was easy a cop would be doing it."
        *******************CLICK HERE*****************

Comment

• Speaking Of Toilets....

Maryland Man Is Glued To Restaurant Toilet Seat. Police Wonder If This Was An April Fools Prank

POSTED: 7:04 am EDT April 4, 2006

SALISBURY, Md. -- A Fruitland, Md., man became stuck to a toilet seat early Sunday morning at a Denny's restaurant in Salisbury, Md., when he used the restroom.

Police said someone had put glue on the seat.

Authorities said customers called 911 after the man yelled for help.

Paramedics took the man and the seat to the hospital, where it was removed.

Police are wondering if putting the glue on the seat was somebody's idea of an April Fools Day prank.

In a similar case, a man in Colorado found himself glued to a toilet seat at a Home Depot in 2003. That man sued the home improvement chain last year.

Copyright 2006 by The Associated Press.

OOOUUUCCHHH!!!

Comment

• Sad but True!

While at a structure fire with my dept. my lovely wife set our stove on fire w/ cooking oil. Instead of calling 911 or getting the nearby fire extinguisher she bravely called my cell phone ordering me to come home. Luckily she was frying chicken and was able to overwhelm the fire with a large dose of the colonials secret blend of herbs and spices.

Comment

• well she sounds worse than my brother's girlfriend at cooking. speaking of such they just gave birth to a baby boy early this morning. If you knew him you would think it weird but true.
              "There are only two things that i know are infinite, the universe and human stupidity. And im not so sure about the former."

For all the life of me, i cant see a firefighter going to hell. At least not for very long. We would end up putting out all the fires and annoying the devil too much.

Comment

• Congrats, Uncle Patty Are you an uncle for the first time now?
                September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
                IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
                Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

Comment

• Hey "Uncle" Congrats!

Scientist: Jesus May Have Walked On Ice, Not Water

POSTED: 7:58 am EDT April 6, 2006

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. -- Jesus walked on water, according to the Bible, but a Florida State University professor says he may have actually walked on a hard-to-see patch of ice.

Doron Nof, a professor of oceanography, said a rare combination of water and atmospheric conditions in the Sea of Galilee 2000 years ago may offer a scientific explanation for one of the miracles recounted in the Bible.

Nof said a patch of ice floating in the Sea of Galilee -- which is actually a freshwater lake -- would have been difficult to distinguish from unfrozen water surrounding it.

"I'm not trying to provide any information that has to do with theology here," Nof said in an interview Wednesday. "All we've thought is about the natural process. What theologians or anybody else does with that, it's their business, so to speak."

According to the New Testament books of Matthew, Mark and John, Jesus' disciples were out on the Galilee at night when a storm came up. Jesus walked to the terrified men, who thought he was a ghost, according to the accounts.

Darrell Bock, a professor of New Testament studies at the Dallas Theological Seminary, lightheartedly dismissed the idea that Jesus walked on ice.

"I'm just cold to the theory," said Bock, author of "Breaking the Da Vinci Code," which defends traditional Christian beliefs challenged in Dan Brown's "Da Vinci Code."

"I tend to treat it as a real miracle," Bock said. "Almost all the nature miracles are challenged in one degree or another."

Other reaction to the theory has not been so restrained.

"I get hate e-mail on the average every three minutes," Nof said. One e-mail called him "the most stupid person on the planet" and closed by wishing that he "go to hell where you belong."

Nof's research appears in the April issue of the Journal of Paleolimnology, a publication on the reconstruction of lake histories. Nof's co-authors are biostatistics professor Ian McKeague of Columbia University and atmospheric science professor Nathan Paldor of Hebrew University of Jerusalem.

They came up with the theory after studying records of long-ago water temperatures in the Mediterranean Sea, based on core samples of shells and other animal remains taken from the bottom.

The records indicated that two lengthy periods 2,500 to 1,500 years ago were chilly enough for ice patches to form during cold spells on the Sea of Galilee, said Nof, a native of Israel.

The unfrozen water surrounding the ice would have come from salty springs along the lake's western shore, he said. Salty water freezes at lower temperatures than fresh water.

Copyright 2006 by The Associated Press

Comment

• Well if thats true its still a miracle then...You show me how to keep your balance and walk on a piece of ice in the middle of a storm and i will eat humble pie.
                    Even with crampons he would be very hard pressed.

Nah its the 9th time now. Im the youngest of 9 so there will be plenty more to come.
                    "There are only two things that i know are infinite, the universe and human stupidity. And im not so sure about the former."

For all the life of me, i cant see a firefighter going to hell. At least not for very long. We would end up putting out all the fires and annoying the devil too much.

Comment

• April 8, 2006 -- The 33rd Annual FDNY - nypd Hockey Game was played today at the Nassau Coliseum. FDNY beat the nypd 4-2
                      NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
                      FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40

Charleston 9

Comment

• From the title of this thread, I take it PD usually wins??? Congrats FDNY Hockey Team
                        Tom

Never Forget 9-11-2001

Stay safe out there!

IACOJ Member

Comment

• PIZZA ANYONE?

500-Mile Pizza Delivery: No Charge

POSTED: 10:16 am EDT April 10, 2006
                          UPDATED: 10:25 am EDT April 10, 2006

NOME, Alaska -- A pizza to go from Airport Pizza may do some real traveling.

The pizza joint offers the only delivery service in Nome. But the deliveries can be far longer than a few blocks. Airport Pizza delivers to remote Eskimo villages 100 or more miles away.

Pizza is a welcome break from whale, walrus and reindeer eaten by the villagers.

The pizzeria has even delivered to the Arctic Ocean town of Barrow, the northernmost community in the U.S., 500 miles to the northeast.

Air delivery usually doesn't cost anything extra. Frontier Flying Service flies the pies for free to villages on its regular routes.

Copyright 2006 by The Associated Press

Comment

• In a tale reminiscent of the last Wallace and Gromit movie, furious villagers in northeast England have hired armed guards to protect their beloved communal vegetable gardens from a suspected monster rabbit.

Leeks, Japanese onions, parsnips and spring carrots have all been ripped up and devoured by the mystery were-rabbit -- prompting the 12 allotment holders in Felton, north of Newcastle, to hire two marksmen with air rifles and orders to shoot to kill.

"It is a massive thing. It is a monster. The first time I saw it, I said: 'What the hell is that?'" the Northumberland Gazette newspaper quoted local resident Jeff Smith, 63, as saying on its website (www.northumberlandtoday.co.uk).

He claims to have seen the black and brown rabbit -- with one ear bigger than the other -- about two months ago, and at least three fellow allotment holders say they have seen it as well.

"I have seen it and it is bigger than a normal rabbit. It's eating all our crops and we grow the best stuff here," said retired miner George Brown, 76, quoted by the domestic Press Association news agency.

Smith could not be reached for comment Friday, but his mother told AFP that the hare-raising story is true -- and no less an authority than the British Rabbit Council said it was credible.

"Certain breeds do grow very big, like the Continental Giant" which can be 66 centimetres (26 inches) in length or more, a spokesman for the Nottinghamshire-based council, which represent rabbit breeders, told AFP.

In the last hit movie featuring Wallace and his dog Gromit, the two cartoon characters battled a monster rabbit that was cutting a swathe of destruction through locals' prize vegetable plots.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/afplifes...drabbitoffbeat
                            Shawn M. Cecula
                            Firefighter
                            IACOJ Division of Fire and EMS

Comment

• April 11, 2006 -- Think you're bored? William Schramm, a 31-year-old retirement planner, is being forced to sit on a Detroit courtroom bench three days a week and stare at the wall for an indefinite number of months. U.S. District Judge Bernard Friedman dreamed up the unusual punishment after Schramm lied to him to get out of sitting on a grand jury. Schramm, who's not even allowed to read, says, "I've lost respect for the court system. It's a joke. "If you're going to punish me, have me do something productive . . . instead of sitting here staring at the wall."
                              NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
                              FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40

Charleston 9

Comment

• Dont this beat all?

Police: Boy's Fake Obit Published So Mom Could Skip Work

POSTED: 9:05 am EDT April 11, 2006

WATERLOO, Iowa -- Some people will do anything to get out of work.

Police in Iowa have arrested two people accused of filing a fake obituary for teenager Dan "D.J." Reddout with a newspaper to get off work for a few days.

Police said James Ralph Snyder, who is the boyfriend of Reddout's mother, and the boy's mother, Mary Jo Elizabeth Jensen, submitted a death notice to the Waterloo-Cedar Falls Courier newspaper, saying that Jensen's 17-year-old son had died at the Mayo Clinic after a lengthy illness.

Authorities were notified after the teen was spotted at a restaurant by some family friends.

Police said the pair did it so they could get off work for a few days.

Both Snyder and Jensen worked at Tyson Foods and started taking time off from work in December by claiming the boy was hospitalized with an illness, the paper reported.

As the scheme continued, Tyson officials were told the boy was on life support and had died, according to the paper.

Snyder and Jensen took several days for funeral leave, the paper reported. After they took the days off, officials from Tyson told the pair they needed verification for their absences, the paper reported.

"The boyfriend eventually went to the Waterloo Courier and had a false obituary placed in the newspaper to satisfy their employer," the Courier reported.

The Courier reported that the teen's mother said the fake obituary was caused by "bad communication" and that Snyder submitted the obituary after she told him her son was ill and she had joked about his death.

Synder is charged with tampering with records. Jensen is charged with being an accessory after the fact.

The obituary read as follows:

Dan “D.J.” Reddout (1988-2005)

WATERLOO — Dan “D.J.” Reddout, 17, of Waterloo, died Saturday, Dec. 24, at the Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn., of complications from surgery.

He was born April 26, 1988, in Waterloo, son of James Snyder and Mary Jo Jensen. He attended West High School.

Survived by: his parents of Waterloo; grandparents, Vern and Edie Reddout of Iowa City and Glenda Tidaman of Waterloo; an uncle, Kevin Reddout of Cedar Rapids; and two aunts, Janet Reddout of Cedar Rapids and Sandy (Randy) Lee of Stout.

Graveside services: were Tuesday at Osage Memorial Cemetery, Osage.

Memorials: may be directed to the family.

Distributed by Internet Broadcasting Systems, Inc. The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X