Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

Firehouse.com Forum Rules & Guidelines

Forum Rules & Guidelines

Not Permitted or Tolerated:
• Advertising and/or links of commercial, for-profit websites, products, and/or services is not permitted. If you have a need to advertise on Firehouse.com please contact [email protected]
• Fighting/arguing
• Cyber-bullying
• Swearing
• Name-calling and/or personal attacks
• Spamming
• Typing in all CAPS
• “l33t speak” - Substituting characters for letters in an effort to represent a word or phrase. (example: M*****ive)
• Distribution of another person’s personal information, regardless of whether or not said information is public knowledge and whether or not an individual has permission to post said personal information
• Piracy advocation of any kind
• Racist, sexual, hate type defamatory, religious, political, or sexual commentary.
• Multiple forum accounts

Forum Posting Guidelines:

Posts must be on-topic, non-disruptive and relevant to the firefighting community. Post only in a mature and responsible way that contributes to the discussion at hand. Posting relevant information, helpful suggestions and/or constructive criticism is a great way to contribute to the community.

Post in the correct forum and have clear titles for your threads.

Please post in English or provide a translation.

There are moderators and admins who handle these forums with care, do not resort to self-help, instead please utilize the reporting option. Be mature and responsible for yourself and your posts. If you are offended by another member utilize the reporting option. All reported posts will be addressed and dealt with as deemed appropriate by Firehouse.com staff.

Firehouse.com Moderation Process:
Effective immediately, the following moderation process will take effect. User(s) whose posts are determined by Firehouse.com staff to be in violation of any of the rules above will EARN the following reprimand(s) in the moderation process:
1. An initial warning will be issued.
2. A Final Warning will be issued if a user is found to be in violation a second time.
3. A 3-day suspension will be issued if the user continues to break the forum rules.
4. A 45-day suspension will be issued if the user is found to be a habitual rule breaker.
5. Habitual rule breakers that have exhausted all of the above will receive a permanent life-time ban that will be strictly enforced. Reinstatement will not be allowed – there is no appeal process.

Subsequent accounts created in an effort to side-step the rules and moderation process are subject to automatic removal without notice. Firehouse.com reserves the right to expedite the reprimand process for any users as it is deemed necessary. Any user in the moderation process may be required to review and agree to by email the terms and conditions listed above before their account is re-instated (except for those that are banned).

Firehouse.com reserves the right to edit and/or remove any post or member, at any time, for any reason without notice. Firehouse.com also reserves the right to warn, suspend, and/or ban, any member, at any time, for any reason.

Firehouse.com values the active participation we have in our forums. Please ensure your posts are tasteful and tactful. Thank you very much for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Weird But True

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• E40FDNYL35,

I saw an interview with the 62 year-old mom and her husband this morning. This is her 12th child and there is a 40 year age difference between the infant and her oldest!

Here's a picture that while not as funny as the other posts, is WEIRD but TRUE for me. I never thought I would see a picture of someone surfing on Lake Ontario but I was wrong
    Attached Files
    Tom

Never Forget 9-11-2001

Stay safe out there!

IACOJ Member

Comment

• Originally posted by NYSmokey
      Here's a picture that while not as funny as the other posts, is WEIRD but TRUE for me. I never thought I would see a picture of someone surfing on Lake Ontario but I was wrong
      that's a LAKE
      ALL GAVE SOME BUT SOME GAVE ALL
      NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
      CAPT. Frank Callahan Ladder 35 *
      LT. John Ginley Engine 40
      FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40
      FF. Jimmy Giberson Ladder 35
      FF. Michael Otten Ladder 35 *
      FF. Steve Mercado Engine 40 *
      FF. Kevin Bracken Engine 40 *
      FF. Vincent Morello Ladder 35
      FF. Michael Roberts Ladder 35 *
      FF. Michael Lynch Engine 40
      FF. Michael Dauria Engine 40

Charleston 9
      "If my job was easy a cop would be doing it."
      *******************CLICK HERE*****************

Comment

• Yeah that's a lake. Must be global warming From our local fish wrap:

Friday's wind also caused the water level in Lake Ontario to have a slow see-saw effect called a "seiche." For a while, the water on the American shore is 2.9 feet higher than the water on the Canadian shore.

“With the wind blowing the length of the lake, it causes the lake to rise on this end,” said Gregway.

All the parking spaces at the top of Lake Street next to the McCrobie Building were taken. The site provided a vista of waves crashing over the Oswego harbor, the breakwall, and the lighthouse. Lake Ontario looked like an ocean as the wind churned the slate-colored water into massive whitecaps.

Winds were reported at gusts of 84MPH out on the cliffs near my alma mater SUNY OSWEGO.

I grew up on Staten Island (insert joke here) and I never knew the Great Lakes existed until I went to college here! It's really nice in the summer though
        Attached Files
        Tom

Never Forget 9-11-2001

Stay safe out there!

IACOJ Member

Comment

• February 20, 2006 -- Luz Marrufo loved eating pinto beans — until last week.
          That's when the 28-year-old DeKalb, Ill., nurse's assistant opened a can of pinto beans as she prepared a meal for her three sons — and found a bird's head inside. "I don't think we'll be eating beans for a long time, unless I make them," a nauseated Marrufo said.
          NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
          FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40

Charleston 9

Comment

• more sue happy America

Justices Allow Postal Customers to Sue
            By GINA HOLLAND, Associated Press Writer

Wednesday, February 22, 2006

02-22) 14:18 PST WASHINGTON (AP) --

The Supreme Court ruled Wednesday that the Postal Service can be sued by a woman who tripped over mail left on her porch.

The 7-1 decision revived a Pennsylvania woman's claim that she was entitled to damages after suffering wrist and back injuries during the 2001 fall at her home in suburban Philadelphia. The letters, packages and periodicals were put on Barbara Dolan's porch instead of in her mailbox.

Justice Anthony M. Kennedy, writing for the majority, dismissed government concerns of costly litigation.

"The government raises the specter of frivolous slip-and-fall claims inundating the Postal Service," he wrote. "Slip-and-fall liability, however ... is a risk shared by any business that makes home deliveries."

Gerry McKiernan, spokesman for the Postal Service, said that in the wake of the decision carriers would receive a "refresher course" on delivery protocols and that policies would be reviewed.

"I don't think anything radical will come from this in the way we do business," he said.

Justices had been asked to interpret a federal law that bars lawsuits over the "loss, miscarriage or negligent transmission of letters or postal matter." The court said the law did not cover Dolan's claim.

The Bush administration had told justices last fall that the Postal Service delivers about 660 million pieces of mail each day and would have a hard time disproving complaints about accidents.

Justice Clarence Thomas sided with the government. In a lone dissent, he said that personal injury lawsuits resulting from mail delivery should be prohibited.

Thomas said that under the law, the post office cannot be sued if a carrier negligently drops a package of glassware, and if the customer is cut by the shattered glass. It makes no sense, he said, for the court to allow that same customer to sue if he trips on the package.

"There is no basis in the text (of the law) for the line drawn," he wrote.

New Justice Samuel Alito did not participate in the ruling, because he was not on the court when the case was argued.

The case is Dolan v. United States Postal Service, 04-848.

Comment

• February 23, 2006 -- Kelly Rued is a soft-spoken Minnesota mom who attended Catholic school and invents games — but not the kind the nuns and priests who taught her would approve of. They're erotic video games that put players in "a parallel universe where people meet and love" and have sex. And they're a lot healthier than the violent games a lot of folks are hooked on, Kelly, 26, insists. "I don't think people sit around and fantasize about killing someone — but I think they do sit around fantasizing about sex," she said.
              NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
              FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40

Charleston 9

Comment

• San Francisco Hopes To Harness Power Of Dog Doo
                Animals Produce 6,500 Tons Of Waste Each Year

POSTED: 12:35 pm EST February 22, 2006
                UPDATED: 12:45 pm EST February 22, 2006

Email This Story | Print This Story

SAN FRANCISCO -- Officials in San Francisco are stepping into something new -- recycling doggie doo to generate power.

Norcal Waste, a garbage hauling company, will collect droppings from a popular dog park.

The droppings will go into a machine called a methane digester -- a tank in which bacteria feed on feces to create methane gas.

That gas could then be piped directly to a gas stove, heater or anything else powered by natural gas. It can also be used to generate electricity.

The technology is already used on chicken, hog and dairy farms.

San Francisco has plenty raw material for poo power.

Residents of the city own an estimated 240,000 dogs and cats.

City officials said Rover, Tabby and their pals produce about 6,500 tons of doo a year.
                If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Comment

• February 25, 2006 -- Talk about mixed metaphors!
                  Those old standards — as white as freshly fallen snow, as brown as chocolate — no longer apply in Colorado. The snow that's been falling there lately is a dark chocolate brown — thanks to desert dust blowing in from Arizona that got caught up in a storm system over the Rocky Mountains.
                  NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
                  FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40

Charleston 9

Comment

• February 26, 2006 -- Bernice McDowall says she never thought black cats were unlucky. Now her own black cat, Joey, is her hero. McDowall, 87, said she was taking a nap when Joey woke her up early Friday afternoon and probably saved her life. "He was having a fit, running around the bedroom," she said. Then she saw smoke in the bedroom, got up and saw smoke coming from the basement. Joey had found a home with the McDowalls after he was dumped off at a nearby mailbox awhile back. On Friday, he "really came in and sent the alarm," Bernice said. Later, the black cat was rolling and romping in the yard near smoldering mattresses that firefighters had dragged up from the basement while his owner stayed in the warmth of a vehicle. Sterling Fire Chief Dwayne Frederick said firefighters contained the blaze to the basement, but there was smoke damage throughout the ranch-style home. He said the cause likely was electrical. The McDowalls were not able to be in the house Friday night, but Cheryl McDowall, Bernice's daughter, told firefighters they had a place to stay. Bernice McDowall had dinner at her niece's home. Joey was there too, walking on the piano keys. And he was scheduled to get his favorite dinner, a gravy-style canned cat food. He would get lots of cuddling, too, Bernice McDowall said.

"He's a real good friend," she said.
                    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
                    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40

Charleston 9

Comment

• February 27, 2006 -- A new poll has named Psycho Path in Traverse City, Mich., and Divorce Court in Heather Highlands, Pa., the nation's weirdest street names. Other winners include: Tennessee's Farfrompoopen Road, the intersections of Lonesome and Hardup in Albany, Ga., and the corner of Clinton and Fidelity in Houston.
                      NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
                      FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40

Charleston 9

Comment

• Microwaved Penis Turns Out To Be Fake

POSTED: 6:53 am EST February 27, 2006

PITTSBURGH -- It turns out the microwaved penis was a fake.

A convenience store clerk in the Pittsburgh area was freaked out when she thought she had put a severed penis in the store's microwave oven.

The clerk said a couple came into the store and asked her to heat up something for them. The clerk did and caught a glimpse of what she thought was a penis wrapped in paper towels.

McKeesport police Chief Joseph Pero said the woman who came into the store with the fake penis was actually trying to cheat on a job application drug test.

Prosthetic penises that contain drug-free urine are sold on the Internet. According to the woman, the couple stopped to warm the device in the microwave so the urine would pass the body temperature test.

Police plan to interview the woman Monday. Copyright 2006 by The Associated Press.
                        If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

Comment

• March 1, 2006 -- A formal gala at the Milwaukee Art Museum turned horribly wrong as martini-fueled guests began climbing onto the art, projectile vomiting and passing out. In one jaw-dropping move, four men climbed a bronze sculpture of a goddess-like woman. "They were . . . grabbing the boobs, and somebody was just taking pictures with a cellphone," said disgusted witness Laura Collins.
                          NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
                          FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40

Charleston 9

Comment

• March 3, 2006 -- A man showing off his Cadillac's OnStar emergency signaling system for his girlfriend found out it worked much too well. When cops in St. Augustine, Fla., located Ralph Gomez's vehicle, they determined there was no problem - but then noticed cocaine on the center console. Hello, OnStar? He has an emergency.
                            NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
                            FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40

Charleston 9

Comment

• March 5, 2006 -- In a real-life riff on the famous "but-I'm-not-dead-yet" Monty Python line, 81-year-old Myron Manders wants Social Security to know he's still alive. Because Social Security reported he died Sept. 1, his medical insurance won't pay a hospital bill, and his wife got the benefit from his Veterans Affairs life-insurance policy. Manders showed up in person at a Social Security office in Cleveland to prove his well-being, but the agency is still writing to his wife telling her she can get widow's benefits.
                              NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
                              FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40

Charleston 9

Comment

• Palestinian Brewery To Make Hamas-Friendly Beer

POSTED: 11:30 am EST March 5, 2006

TAYBEH, West Bank -- Hamas' parliamentary takeover has reverberated through many aspects of Palestinians' lives -- down to the beer they drink.

The first-ever Palestinian brewery is coming out with a non-alcoholic version for devout Muslims, for whom alcohol is forbidden. The new beer has an all-Arabic label in Hamas's signature green color.

The owner of the Taybeh Brewing Company said he's adapting to Hamas' victory, and also to an alcohol ban in Gaza, where he used to sell beer before Israeli-Palestinian fighting picked up again in 2000. Nadim Khoury said that even though the Palestinians don't have their own country, they've got their own beer -- and he's determined to keep his business afloat.

The new beer debuts this summer in the West Bank and Gaza.

Copyright 2006 by The Associated Press.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X