Weird But True

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heres a good one...

January 29, 2006 -- A blaze in a Michigan town popular among retirees highlighted a burning concern — that its volunteer fire department's average age is 61. Eight of the department's 18 volunteers responded to the house fire Wednesday, and it took them 12 hours to put out the inferno.
    ALL GAVE SOME BUT SOME GAVE ALL
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    CAPT. Frank Callahan Ladder 35 *
    LT. John Ginley Engine 40
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40
    FF. Jimmy Giberson Ladder 35
    FF. Michael Otten Ladder 35 *
    FF. Steve Mercado Engine 40 *
    FF. Kevin Bracken Engine 40 *
    FF. Vincent Morello Ladder 35
    FF. Michael Roberts Ladder 35 *
    FF. Michael Lynch Engine 40
    FF. Michael Dauria Engine 40

Charleston 9
    "If my job was easy a cop would be doing it."
    *******************CLICK HERE*****************

Comment

• Originally posted by E40FDNYL35
      January -- EAU CLAIRE, Wis. (AP) - This cat used up his nine lives. Fire officials are blaming a 20-pound cat ... "We eliminated everything except for the cat," ... The cat died, likely of smoke inhalation, ...

Alright ,if noone else is gonna say it I will!!

What a Catastrophe !!!

Sorry, could'nt resist.
      I.A.C.O.J. "The Cork"

Comment

• Arlington County, Alexandria To Test Run Terror Sirens. Program Funded By Federal Government.

The haunting wail of sirens familiar to generations who lived through World War II and the Cold War will return to some of Washington's Virginia suburbs.

Arlington County and neighboring Alexandria will become the first communities in the country to experiment with sirens as terrorist attack alerts. They are preparing to buy as many as 15 sirens to mount on telephone poles, buildings and elsewhere under in a federally funded pilot program that is being closely watched by other area governments.

"Everyone's looking at this to see if it will really reach significant numbers of people who are otherwise not reachable," said David Snyder of Falls Church, a member of the Washington region's emergency preparedness council.

Emergency managers stress that sirens are limited because they are designed to reach people outdoors. They are not ideal for suburban counties where people tend to spend more time indoors than out.

The program will test sirens in several neighborhoods, simulating the response to an explosion or weather catastrophe with a wail followed by a broadcast.

"We don't want to disturb people, but we want to make sure we get the best information we can," Robert P. Griffin Jr., Arlington's director of emergency management, told The Washington Post.

He estimated the project's cost at $350,000.

Most local governments dismantled their civil defense sirens in the 1990s after the federal government withdrew funding for them with the waning of the Cold War. They had alerted the public to emergencies for a century, starting with fire alarms.

Following World War II, they were known as civil defense sirens throughout the United States after Joseph Stalin tested the Soviet Union's first atomic bomb in 1949.

Some of the yellow, electrically powered mechanical devices stayed as warning systems in some parts of the country for tornados and other natural disasters. They are used, for example, by eight tiny firehouses in western Loudoun County to summon volunteers to duty.

A study conducted by George Washington University for the Metropolitan Washington Council of Governments found the new generation of alerts can be used to send live or recorded messages in multiple languages. They're more reliable than the older generation, and they can operate on batteries.

Some officials fear that with so many features, the technology could confuse people in an emergency, even if there was a thorough campaign to educate the public.

"It used to be that a siren meant a tornado, and everybody knew that," said Fairfax County spokeswoman Merni Fitzgerald, who also heads the county's emergency communications efforts. "In this day and age, it's not going to just be, 'We'll notify you if it's a tornado.' It could be a bomb. People might say, 'That's a loud noise -- what does it mean?' "

Officials of other local governments say they are watching the experiment carefully.

"We're really looking forward to seeing the results," said Scott Reilly, assistant chief administrative officer in Maryland's Montgomery County, which with its large agricultural reserve spans 500 square miles. He said he has concerns, though: "I'm not sure how a siren reaches into buildings or a shopping mall."

Copyright 2006 by The Associated Press

With the number of veterans from all wars around here, I wonder how many will be diving for cover the first couple of times? I ask this question only slightly tongue-in-cheek, because I have a friend I trained with, who was in the Golan Heights during the 1st Gulf War. They had SCUD alerts every night. The short of the story is that shortly after he got home again, the local FD siren went off in the middle of a very cold/frosty Feb night. My Friend found himself standing out in the driveway naked as the day he was born, wondering why he was standing outside. Then he heard the truck sirens, and it made sense. The neighbours wife was "appreciative" too, as she happened to be at her kitchen window and saw him run out his front door.
        If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Comment

• This just in from Italy.....important news
          January 30, 2006 -- Italian Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi is going to be one horny fellow over the next six weeks. That's because the flamboyant politician, famous for his ambitious promises, has pledged not to have sex before the April 9 2006 general election.
          NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
          FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40

Charleston 9

Comment

• January 31, 2006 -- Housewife Patience Shelley, who regularly used a broom handle to clear out a blocked drain, is lucky to be alive. It turned out the obstruction was a 12-pound, unexploded World War II bomb. Seventeen houses in Newport, England, had to be evacuated as bomb squad workers gingerly removed it. "Every time it rained, I would thrust the broom in the drain to help clear the water. It's scary to think there was a shell in it," said Shelley, 37.
            NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
            FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40

Charleston 9

Comment

• February 1, 2006 -- Rush hour turned into gross-out hour for motorists in Wisconsin. Drivers hit the brakes when they were confronted with stinking animal carcasses and parts that had been dumped on the Riverview Expressway in Wisconsin Rapids. A front-end loader was brought in to scrape the pavement clean and "did a really good job," noted police Lt. Dave Wesener. Cops are now hunting for the dumper.
              NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
              FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40

Charleston 9

Comment

• This is just SICK!

Dealers Smuggle Heroin In Puppies. 10 Puppies Rescued During Raid

POSTED: 11:19 am EST February 2, 2006
                UPDATED: 11:27 am EST February 2, 2006

NEW YORK -- A crew of Colombian drug dealers turned purebred puppies into cuddly drug couriers by surgically implanting them with packets of liquid heroin, federal authorities said Wednesday.

Ten puppies, including Labrador retrievers, were rescued during a 2005 raid on a farm in Colombia, the Drug Enforcement Administration said while announcing recent arrests in the two-year investigation.

A local veterinarian had stitched 14 packets containing about 3 kilograms of heroin -- worth roughly $200,000 wholesale -- into the bellies of six pups. Three of the dogs later died from infection after the drugs were removed.

The surviving dogs "are still alive and well, we're told," said John Gilbride, head of the DEA's New York office. Colombian police said they adopted three dogs, one of which was being trained to sniff for drugs.

DEA investigators said they believe the drug ring, based in Medellin, Colombia, used the puppies and other methods to conceal millions of dollars in heroin on commercial flights into New York City for distribution throughout the East Coast.

It was unclear how many dogs were used in the scheme, nor did investigators know their fate once they arrived on U.S. soil, Gilbride said.

The puppy implants were the traffickers' inhumane take on the common practice of paying people to swallow dozens of drug-packed pellets made with condoms or latex glove fingers wrapped in tape. The couriers, called "swallowers," then take flights to U.S. cities, where they expel the drugs by going to the bathroom.

Recent raids in Colombia resulted in more than 20 arrests; another 10 suspects were in custody in New York, Florida and North Carolina. About 24 kilograms of heroin was seized.

Colombia's national police gave a slightly different account of the investigation, describing two raids, with the second, on Wednesday, involving 20 arrests. They said they discovered a clandestine clinic where veterinarians had implanted six dogs with a total of 3 kilograms of heroin.

Copyright 2006 by The Associated Press.
                If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Comment

• February 2, 2006 -- A despondent man jumped to his death from the Empire State Building yesterday, police said. "An employee in my office yelled out, 'Oh my God! A big black bird just went past the window,' " said David Burgos, 27, who works on the 60th floor. "He ran to the window and saw it was a body." A security camera recorded the suicidal Dovid Abramowitz buying a ticket to the 86th floor observation deck at around 3 p.m., police said. Abramowitz, 21, who lived on Grand Street on the Lower East Side, got off the elevator at the 66th floor. He entered a vacant office, opened the window and jumped, police said. He landed on a sixth- floor parapet facing 34th Street.

He is believed to be the 34th person to jump to his death from the building since it opened in 1931.
                  NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
                  FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40

Charleston 9

Comment

• February 3, 2006 -- Forty songbirds fatally crashed into windows in Vienna, and health experts feared they were suffering from the avian flu — until tests revealed they were flying drunk after eating fermented berries. The feathered victims had livers so diseased, "they looked like they were chronic alcoholics," said Sonja Wehsely of Vienna's veterinary authority
                    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
                    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40

Charleston 9

Comment

• Man Downs 173 Chicken Wings to Win Contest

PHILADELPHIA -- A 22-year-old from San Jose, Calif., won Wing Bowl on Friday by setting a new record at the annual chicken wing-eating contest. Joey Chestnut ate 173 wings to take the title and top prize, a 2006 Suzuki Grand Vitara. As usual, the 14th annual Wing Bowl was replete with thousands of beer-crazed fans, piles of saucy wings, dozens of scantily clad "Wingettes" - many of them strippers - and several sickened contestants.
                      NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
                      FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40

Charleston 9

Comment

• February 4, 2006 -- Pigeons in San Jose, California will soon be outfitted with miniature cameras and mobile-phone backpacks — to monitor local air quality.
                        The homemade cellphones — equipped with GPS tracking chips and pollution sensors — will beam data back to a smog blog to provide area residents with up-to-the-minute info on air quality.

And the cameras? They'll send the blog bird's-eye views of trouble spots.
                        NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
                        FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40

Charleston 9

Comment

• February -- A Whitehorse man who tried to thwart tax collectors by claiming he doesn't have a name has been fined more than $3,000. Cliff Hanna was convicted in territorial court late last month of failing to file income tax returns for the past three years. He attempted to persuade the justice of the peace, Garry Burgess, that he is a free man who owes the government nothing. In a sworn affidavit, he declared that the name James Clifford Hanna was put on his birth certificate many years ago in Alberta without his permission. He disclaimed responsibility for debts or obligations the government may now assign to that name. He said people continue to be defrauded into believing their birth certificates oblige them to obey demands of the Crown. He added there is no record anywhere that he ever accepted the Hanna name. The fact he occasionally responds to the name means nothing, Hanna said. "I respond to 'Uncle' from my niece and nephews, and 'Meow' from my aunt's cats, but it is doubtful that any of these is my true name," he argued in court documents. As far as he is concerned, the name James Clifford Hanna is "hearsay." It is the property and creation of the Crown, he said. "If you wish to collect debt instruments (Canadian legal tender) ... may I suggest you send your invoice and demand for performance to the ministry responsible" in Alberta, he said. The justice of the peace imposed the minimum fine plus a surcharge for a total of $3,450.
                          NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
                          FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40

Charleston 9

Comment

• Originally posted by E40FDNYL35
                            February -- A Whitehorse man who tried to thwart tax collectors by claiming he doesn't have a name has been fined more than $3,000. Cliff Hanna was convicted in territorial court late last month of failing to file income tax returns for the past three years. He attempted to persuade the justice of the peace, Garry Burgess, that he is a free man who owes the government nothing. In a sworn affidavit, he declared that the name James Clifford Hanna was put on his birth certificate many years ago in Alberta without his permission. He disclaimed responsibility for debts or obligations the government may now assign to that name. He said people continue to be defrauded into believing their birth certificates oblige them to obey demands of the Crown. He added there is no record anywhere that he ever accepted the Hanna name. The fact he occasionally responds to the name means nothing, Hanna said. "I respond to 'Uncle' from my niece and nephews, and 'Meow' from my aunt's cats, but it is doubtful that any of these is my true name," he argued in court documents. As far as he is concerned, the name James Clifford Hanna is "hearsay." It is the property and creation of the Crown, he said. "If you wish to collect debt instruments (Canadian legal tender) ... may I suggest you send your invoice and demand for performance to the ministry responsible" in Alberta, he said. The justice of the peace imposed the minimum fine plus a surcharge for a total of $3,450.

Too f'n funny! Wonder if he's a Prince fan
                            September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
                            IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
                            Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

Comment

• February 5, 2006 -- Taking candy from a baby is one thing — but stealing morphine from your mother's IV drip is really low. That's just what a Martha's Vineyard man is accused of doing moments after his mom died of an undisclosed illness at hospital in Cape Cod, Mass. Cops arrested electrician Robert Peatie, 37, who has a history of substance abuse, after a nurse caught him pouring the morphine into a water bottle.
                              NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
                              FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40

Charleston 9

Comment

• February 6, 2006 -- The University of Vermont is offering a $10,000 reward for the return of its missing cat — but this is no ordinary kitty.
                                It's a 200-pound, 9-foot-long, 7-foot-wide aluminum mascot depicted jumping through an oversized V. It was swiped from the Sign-A-Rama shop in Burlington, where it was getting a makeover. Officials believe the theft was a student prank. Gee, ya think?
                                NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
                                FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40