Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

Firehouse.com Forum Rules & Guidelines

Forum Rules & Guidelines

Not Permitted or Tolerated:
• Advertising and/or links of commercial, for-profit websites, products, and/or services is not permitted. If you have a need to advertise on Firehouse.com please contact [email protected]
• Fighting/arguing
• Cyber-bullying
• Swearing
• Name-calling and/or personal attacks
• Spamming
• Typing in all CAPS
• “l33t speak” - Substituting characters for letters in an effort to represent a word or phrase. (example: M*****ive)
• Distribution of another person’s personal information, regardless of whether or not said information is public knowledge and whether or not an individual has permission to post said personal information
• Piracy advocation of any kind
• Racist, sexual, hate type defamatory, religious, political, or sexual commentary.
• Multiple forum accounts

Forum Posting Guidelines:

Posts must be on-topic, non-disruptive and relevant to the firefighting community. Post only in a mature and responsible way that contributes to the discussion at hand. Posting relevant information, helpful suggestions and/or constructive criticism is a great way to contribute to the community.

Post in the correct forum and have clear titles for your threads.

Please post in English or provide a translation.

There are moderators and admins who handle these forums with care, do not resort to self-help, instead please utilize the reporting option. Be mature and responsible for yourself and your posts. If you are offended by another member utilize the reporting option. All reported posts will be addressed and dealt with as deemed appropriate by Firehouse.com staff.

Firehouse.com Moderation Process:
Effective immediately, the following moderation process will take effect. User(s) whose posts are determined by Firehouse.com staff to be in violation of any of the rules above will EARN the following reprimand(s) in the moderation process:
1. An initial warning will be issued.
2. A Final Warning will be issued if a user is found to be in violation a second time.
3. A 3-day suspension will be issued if the user continues to break the forum rules.
4. A 45-day suspension will be issued if the user is found to be a habitual rule breaker.
5. Habitual rule breakers that have exhausted all of the above will receive a permanent life-time ban that will be strictly enforced. Reinstatement will not be allowed – there is no appeal process.

Subsequent accounts created in an effort to side-step the rules and moderation process are subject to automatic removal without notice. Firehouse.com reserves the right to expedite the reprimand process for any users as it is deemed necessary. Any user in the moderation process may be required to review and agree to by email the terms and conditions listed above before their account is re-instated (except for those that are banned).

Firehouse.com reserves the right to edit and/or remove any post or member, at any time, for any reason without notice. Firehouse.com also reserves the right to warn, suspend, and/or ban, any member, at any time, for any reason.

Firehouse.com values the active participation we have in our forums. Please ensure your posts are tasteful and tactful. Thank you very much for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Weird But True

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pool Area Not For Breastfeeding, Ann Arbor Woman Told

An Ann Arbor woman says she was asked to stop breastfeeding her baby in public at an area YMCA. Now she hopes by speaking out, the gray line about breast-feeding in public is eliminated.

On Dec. 22, Kelly Fuks took her 6-month-old daughter, Ansley, and her 3-year-old son, Maxwell, to the swimming area of the YMCA in Ann Arbor.

According to Fuks, a lifeguard of the YMCA approached her and told her she could not breast-feed by the pool.

"Ansley is a paid member of the YMCA too," Fuks said.

Senior Programs Director at the YMCA Diane Carr said there is no food or water allowed in the pool area and exceptions cannot be made.

"It's difficult to be able to make exceptions and then be able to enforce them," Carr told The Ann Arbor News.

Fuks later contacted the Y by telephone and told the newspaper that the reason she was told breast-feeding by the pool was not allowed was that it created a distraction to lifeguards.

"I think they have a bad policy and place a burden on people with small children," Fuks said.

Linda Wieser, liaison for the La Leche League, told The Ann Arbor News that the situation is not uncommon.

"People assume there are laws to these things, but there really are not," she said.

Michigan exempts breast-feeding from its public nudity statute, but it does not protect a woman's right to breast-feed in public places.

The YMCA does allow breast-feeding in other areas where parents and children are permitted to be together, including the locker rooms and lobby.

Why do these Fuks need to breastfeed at the pool? Don't they have locker rooms?

Comment

• January 14, 2006 -- Jackie and Brian Lawson of Chimacum, Wash., got more than they bargained for when they called the Internal Revenue Service to request an instruction book. Instead of a single copy of Form 1040 instructions for 2003 — which they needed to correct a costly error on a past return — they received 12 cartons containing 24,000 copies of Form 1040 instructions for 2005. And UPS called to say another 12 boxes were about to be delivered — all packed with instructions, not refunds.
      ALL GAVE SOME BUT SOME GAVE ALL
      NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
      CAPT. Frank Callahan Ladder 35 *
      LT. John Ginley Engine 40
      FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40
      FF. Jimmy Giberson Ladder 35
      FF. Michael Otten Ladder 35 *
      FF. Steve Mercado Engine 40 *
      FF. Kevin Bracken Engine 40 *
      FF. Vincent Morello Ladder 35
      FF. Michael Roberts Ladder 35 *
      FF. Michael Lynch Engine 40
      FF. Michael Dauria Engine 40

Charleston 9
      "If my job was easy a cop would be doing it."
      *******************CLICK HERE*****************

Comment

• Why do these Fuks need to breastfeed at the pool? Don't they have locker rooms?
        Yes they have locker rooms, but unfortunately for the mother babies dont like to have to wait for thier milk. To make it worse, the poor mother gets dirty looks from everybody because her thirsty/hungry baby wants it's milk. Now she has the dilemna of p!ssing off group A or p!ssing off group B.

Have a little heart eh? If someone said that to my sister or any of my sister-in-laws, they would be regretting it so help me god.

Further more, is it too much to ask for the lifeguards to NOT perve? that is so wrong on so many levels. low lifes.
        "There are only two things that i know are infinite, the universe and human stupidity. And im not so sure about the former."

For all the life of me, i cant see a firefighter going to hell. At least not for very long. We would end up putting out all the fires and annoying the devil too much.

Comment

• January 15, 2006 -- A drunken driver helped Georgia police uncover a $1 million indoor pot farm when he smashed through the wall of an apartment building, ruptured a gas line and drew firefighters to the scene. They found the marijuana when they went through the building checking apartments for gas leaks. They then called in the Gwinnett County drug task force. The green-fingered occupant was hit with marijuana-trafficking charges and released on bond.
          NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
          FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40

Charleston 9

Comment

• Man breaks leg while kicking spider
            January 2006 -- A 19-year-old broke his leg in two places while kicking at a spider in the NSW Southern Highlands. NRMA CareFlight said the teenager was flown to Liverpool Hospital in a stable condition from a property 25km west of Mittagong after the incident involving a large huntsman spider before 1pm (AEDT) on Thursday. The force of the man's kick at the spider broke his right leg in two places and also killed the spider. The Huntsman is listed by the Australian Museum as being a relatively harmless species, although the Badge Huntsman can cause pain, headache, vomiting and an irregular pulse.
            NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
            FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40

Charleston 9

Comment

• January 16, 2006 -- In most places, a politician has to kiss babies. It's rougher in Arkansas, where politicians have to chow down on barbecued raccoon, too. And while some pols get queasy at the annual Coon Supper in Gillett — the ultimate meet-and-greet for state candidates — skipping it is even worse, officials say. "If it weren't for the Coon Supper, I probably wouldn't be in public life today," admitted Rep. Marion Berry.

And no, Pepto-Bismol is not included
              NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
              FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40

Charleston 9

Comment

• January 17, 2006 -- A pet parrot attacked a man who broke into his owner's apartment — and the bite and blood marks helped Pennsylvania police identify the culprit. Michael Deeter, 44, of Williamsport, admitted to cops that Sunshine flew into a rage after he broke into James Erb's home.
                NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
                FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40

Charleston 9

Comment

• giggling at :
                  Originally posted by E40FDNYL35
                  January 17, 2006 -- ... Sunshine flew into a rage ...
                  I.A.C.O.J. "The Cork"

Comment

• Originally posted by E40FDNYL35
                    January 17, 2006 -- A pet parrot attacked a man who broke into his owner's apartment — and the bite and blood marks helped Pennsylvania police identify the culprit. Michael Deeter, 44, of Williamsport, admitted to cops that Sunshine flew into a rage after he broke into James Erb's home.
                    I can hear the song now..

Sunshine... on my shoulders... got me busted
                    Sunshine... bit me on the nose
                    Sunshine that damn parrot made me flail
                    Sunshine is maklng me go to jail.....

*apologies to the late John Denver
                    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
                    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Comment

• What is sad : Next week's headline may include a lawsuit filed by the perp against the owner of the parrot, seeking damages for injuries sustained... blah, blah, blah...
                      I.A.C.O.J. "The Cork"

Comment

• January 18, 2006 -- The Rev. James Rual Chalk has tied the knot for the third time — at the age of 100. And since his bride is a spry 68, you might say the minister from Morris Chapel, Tenn., robbed the cradle. The pastor and his new wife, with their families combined, have four children, 10 grandchildren and 14 great-grandkids.
                        NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
                        FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40

Charleston 9

Comment

• Study: Region's Teens Pose Driving Risks

POSTED: 11:41 am EST January 18, 2006
                          UPDATED: 11:58 am EST January 18, 2006

WASHINGTON -- More than 1,100 people died in accidents involving teen drivers between 1995 and 2004, in D.C., Maryland and Virginia, according to a AAA report.

Officials at AAA Mid-Atlantic said the report indicates that pedestrians or passengers in other cars were more likely to die in accidents involving teen drivers in the District, while the teen driver and his passengers were more at risk in Virginia and Maryland.

AAA spokesman John Townsend said drivers under 18 and their passengers accounted for about 42 percent of the 24 traffic fatalities in the District from 1995 through 2004.

That compares to nearly 75 percent of the 406 Maryland and 675 Virginia deaths in the same period.

Copyright 2006 by nbc4.com. The Associated Press
                          If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Comment

• January 19, 2006 -- When Idaho's Bingham County Historical Society met last week, an item with a special "historical" significance was presented to its president, Vestle Wixom — her wallet, lost for 56 years. The wallet, recently found behind a movie theater's concession stand, contained a Blackfoot HS student-activity card from the 1949-50 school year and photos. A flabbergasted Wixom said, "After all these years, I'd even forgotten about losing it."
                            NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
                            FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40

Charleston 9

Comment

• D.C. Officer Caught Surfing On Car Hood
                              Officer Rode On Top Of Speeding Patrol Car

POSTED: 7:51 pm EST January 18, 2006
                              UPDATED: 8:45 pm EST January 18, 2006

WASHINGTON -- A D.C. police officer is caught riding down a street with his legs dangling over the side of a cruiser.

An eyewitness photographed the officer as he rode on the hood of a police cruiser on I Street in Northeast at 5 p.m. Sunday. A second squad car was also following the police vehicle.

Jason Lamberton said he took the photos from the second-floor window of his house. After taking the photos, he entered them along with some comments on a friend's Web site through his computer. The site features a web log for deaf people.

Lamberton, who is deaf, is also a math whiz and calculated the speed of the cruisers at about 27 mph above the posted speed limit.

Slideshow: Images From Scene

With the assistance of a translator, Lamberton gave an interview to News4.

"Luckily, I had my camera in my pocket when I saw the cop cars whizzing by with sirens blazing. The officer was riding on the hood of patrol car number 162, laughing as it ran past the stop sign on I Street," said Lamberton.

When asked about his reaction, Lamberton replied, "Oh, my God. I thought it was stupid -- lack of common sense."

The D.C. Metropolitan Police Department is now investigating safety issues relating to the incident.

"We don't let citizens ride on hoods, and we shouldn't do it. It would be considered conduct unbecoming an officer if a cruiser ran a stop sign or was racing down the street," 1st District Cmdr. Diane Grooms said. "It could result in a suspension if an officer was involved in horseplay. If not, a reprimand would be put in the officer's jacket documenting this inappropriate behavior."

Grooms also said the officer admitted he rode on the hood of the cruiser, and said it was done because he needed to be transported to his squad car about two blocks away.

Police told News4 that if a normal citizen in the nation's capital were to be seen on top of a car, an officer would be required to give him/her a ticket and cite the person behind the wheel for reckless driving.
                              Copyright 2006 by nbc4.com. All rights reserved.
                              If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Comment

• If Mr. Lamberton was deaf, how did he know the "sirens were blazing?"

I suppose he may have felt the vibrations or got the information from neighbors.....
                                Chris Minick, P.E., Firefighter II
                                Structures Specialist, MD-TF 1

These statements are mine and mine alone
                                I.A.C.O.J. Building crust and proud of it

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader