No announcement yet.

Wichita FF's getting "heat" from "Tonight Show" stunt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

People have an expectation that firefighters know what they are doing when it comes to fire, just the same as they have an expectation that DEA agents know what they are doing when it comes to firearms, and that doctors know what they are doing when it comes to pharmaceuticals. Cops are still cops even when they're off duty, and docs are still docs when they're on the golf course, but we still expect that either would act appropriately with regard to the particular skills of their vocation.

If the firefighters had done a stunt unrelated to the fire service, I could have accepted that. But because it centered on fire, I agree with George, CR, et al that it was a huge mistake and did give the impression that folks at home could emulate these guys without consequences. Finally, I agree that the Leno crew should have nixed the stunt before it even aired.
    “I am more than just a serious basketball fan. I am a life-long addict. I was addicted from birth, in fact, because I was born in Kentucky.”
    ― Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by EastKyFF View Post
      People have an expectation that firefighters know what they are doing when it comes to fire, just the same as they have an expectation that DEA agents know what they are doing when it comes to firearms, and that doctors know what they are doing when it comes to pharmaceuticals. Cops are still cops even when they're off duty, and docs are still docs when they're on the golf course, but we still expect that either would act appropriately with regard to the particular skills of their vocation.

If the firefighters had done a stunt unrelated to the fire service, I could have accepted that. But because it centered on fire, I agree with George, CR, et al that it was a huge mistake and did give the impression that folks at home could emulate these guys without consequences. Finally, I agree that the Leno crew should have nixed the stunt before it even aired.
      Despite the fact that you agree with me, you DO realize that you reopened a 4.5 year old thread, right?
      PROUD, HONORED AND HUMBLED RECIPIENT OF THE PURPLE HYDRANT AWARD - 10/2007.

Comment

Originally posted by GeorgeWendtCFI View Post
        Despite the fact that you agree with me, you DO realize that you reopened a 4.5 year old thread, right?
        Details details....
        EGH-FTM-PTB-DPT

Comment

Well, I can't say I did a search, but I was confident that it had been discussed ad nauseam. Hope I didn't beat a decomposing horse.
          “I am more than just a serious basketball fan. I am a life-long addict. I was addicted from birth, in fact, because I was born in Kentucky.”
          ― Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Decomposing horse? There ain't anything left but bones and teeth.

Comment

Originally posted by MEck51 View Post
              Decomposing horse? There ain't anything left but bones and teeth.
              Got a stick? LOL
              ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
              Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Comment

If they were off duty, how did the show know they were firefighters? They had to have mentioned it at some point in their conversation.
                Additionally, the statement that children would not have seen it because they would be in bed id hilarious. Ummmm....youtube?

I understand they are just having fun, however, this sets a really bad precedent for the kids. I reflect back to the show, "Jackass". How many kids have been hurt trying to recreate, or outdo the original prank.

This makes us all look badly.
                Paul Lepore
                Battalion Chief
                www.aspiringfirefighters.com

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader