Clear All

Never saw .......he said

CALUMET CITY, Ill. (AP) - An elderly woman has died after lit
    fireworks were slipped into the mail slot of her home, sparking a
    fire over the Independence Day weekend.
    Police have accused a 16-year-old boy of putting the fireworks
    into Eleanore Moll's mail slot. The teen has been charged in
    juvenile court with aggravated arson, but Police Chief Patrick
    O'Meara said those charges could be upgraded.
    Moll had been in critical condition at an Indiana hospital since
    the July 3 fire.
    The curtains in Moll's home ignited, spreading smoke throughout
    the residence, but Moll was able to call 911 before collapsing.
    When firefighters found her, she was not breathing and had no
    pulse.
    Moll, 76, never regained consciousness, family members said.
    Proudly serving as the IACOJ Minister of Information & Propoganda!
    Be Safe! Lookouts-Awareness-Communications-Escape Routes-Safety Zones

*Gathering Crust Since 1968*
    On the web at www.section2wildfire.com

Comment

So what you're trying to say is that fireworks can cause fires?
      Duh! (slaps forehead) Who knew?
      Last edited by cellblock; 07-16-2004, 03:28 PM.
      Steve
      EMT/Security Officer

Comment

If this guy has never seen a fire caused by fireworks...tell him to visit the Uk in the weeks leading up to and including the 5th November every year. (Guy Fawkes Night or Bonfire Night for those who know of the Gunpowder Plot to blow up the British House of Parliament about 300 years ago)

Our call volume goes from a service average of 3 calls per station per day (we have 18 stations), to about 20 calls per station in a 6 hour period on 5th Novemember. Times this by the46 fire brigades in the UK, all of whom suffer a similar or greater jump and you have more than enough to be getting on with .
        United Kingdom branch, IACOJ.

Comment

I guess I must have missed the deal with this Chief while I was on Vacation...........
          The comments made by me are my opinions only. They DO NOT reflect the opinions of my employer(s). If you have an issue with something I may say, take it up with me, either by posting in the forums, emailing me through my profile, or PMing me through my profile.
          We are all adults so there is no need to act like a child........
          IACOJ

Comment

Originally posted by martinm
            If this guy has never seen a fire caused by fireworks...tell him to visit the Uk in the weeks leading up to and including the 5th November every year. (Guy Fawkes Night or Bonfire Night for those who know of the Gunpowder Plot to blow up the British House of Parliament about 300 years ago)

Our call volume goes from a service average of 3 calls per station per day (we have 18 stations), to about 20 calls per station in a 6 hour period on 5th Novemember. Times this by the46 fire brigades in the UK, all of whom suffer a similar or greater jump and you have more than enough to be getting on with .
            What you guys don't celebrate the Fourth of July over there?

( I tried to stop myself, I just couldn't. I feel so dirty, so cheap...)
            PROUD, HONORED AND HUMBLED RECIPIENT OF THE PURPLE HYDRANT AWARD - 10/2007.

Comment

Nope, and neither would you if it were'nt for us!

I don't feel dity and I don't feel cheap
              United Kingdom branch, IACOJ.

Comment

Originally posted by firenresq77
                I guess I must have missed the deal with this Chief while I was on Vacation...........
                A fire dept. in the northeast was selling fireworks....as a fundraiser. When people asked about the wisdom of this venture, in relation to fire safety....the Chief stated..."I've never seen a fire started by fireworks." This all took place about a year ago.

I'm still hoping to convince this ignoramus....that fireworks can and do cause fires.

No reply from the Quinebaug Chief yet. Still has his head and buried in the sand. Or perhaps somewhere else?)

Comment

Originally posted by NJFFSA16

A fire dept. in the northeast was selling fireworks....as a fundraiser. When people asked about the wisdom of this venture, in relation to fire safety....the Chief stated..."I've never seen a fire started by fireworks." This all took place about a year ago.

I'm still hoping to convince this ignoramus....that fireworks can and do cause fires.

No reply from the Quinebaug Chief yet. Still has his head and buried in the sand. Or perhaps somewhere else?)
                  Ahhhhhhhh. Now I understand............ Thanks!
                  The comments made by me are my opinions only. They DO NOT reflect the opinions of my employer(s). If you have an issue with something I may say, take it up with me, either by posting in the forums, emailing me through my profile, or PMing me through my profile.
                  We are all adults so there is no need to act like a child........
                  IACOJ

Comment

3 homes destroyed

Three houses destroyed in Reno fire sparked by teens with
                    fireworks

RENO, Nev. (AP) - A fire started by teenagers playing with
                    fireworks raced down a dry hillside in northeast Reno tonight and
                    quickly destroyed three homes.
                    The good news is that scores of firefighters quickly snuffed out
                    the blaze and no one was hurt.
                    Fire Division Chief Larry Farr says three houses were lost, a
                    fourth was heavily damaged and a fifth slightly damaged after the
                    fire was reported at 6:07 this evening in the residential
                    neighborhood north of McCarran Boulevard (off Clear Acre Lane) near
                    U-S Highway 395.
                    Farr told The Associated Press investigators already have
                    established the fire was started by the two boys in their early
                    teens. In his words, "We talked to the kids and they fessed up."
                    He says fire investigators will discuss the case with local
                    prosecutors, but the boys remain in the custody of their parents
                    tonight.

More than 50 firefighters responded to the blaze, which engulfed
                    the first home within minutes while engines were en route. Farr
                    says six adults and two youths have been displaced because of the
                    fire. He says all the pets got out safely.
                    Given the ages of the boys who admitted starting the fire, Farr
                    says their fate likely would depend on whether or not they have any
                    criminal background.
                    He says if they've had NO prior brush with the law, the case
                    likely will be handled in civil court.

(Copyright 2004 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

APTV 07-28-04 0137EDT

Comment

Continuing the theme..........

PAWTUCKET, R.I. (AP) - The Pawtucket Red Sox canceled a New
                      Hampshire company's July 4 fireworks display at McCoy Stadium after
                      several people suffered burns and other injuries during a similar
                      post-game show a day earlier.
                      Two fans were injured when they tripped and fell while trying to
                      run away, police said.
                      Officials said a fireworks shell apparently exploded as soon as
                      it came out of its tube, shooting sideways and triggering a "chain
                      reaction" of sparks, which ignited other fireworks on the ground.
                      "They all started going off all at once," Battalion Fire Chief
                      Michael Carter said Monday.
                      The fireworks exploded in multiple directions, with sparks
                      hitting a scoreboard and setting fire to some bushes outside the
                      stadium, Carter said.
                      At least six people were treated for minor injuries, including
                      several workers who suffered minor burns while standing near the
                      explosion.
                      The fireworks were part of Independence Day celebrations at the
                      Triple A stadium, and had been staged without incident Saturday
                      night. They were canceled Monday "in the interest of public
                      safety," according to the team's Web site.
                      "We just felt it would be inappropriate to go right in and do
                      another show the very next night" until an investigation could be
                      completed, Bill Wanless, the team's vice president of public
                      relations, said Monday.
                      Four of the injured were employees of Telstar Display Fireworks
                      of Jaffrey, N.H., said Police Maj. John Whiting in a news release.
                      He said they were helping set off the fireworks, which were being
                      launched from a parking lot behind right field. They were treated
                      for minor burns.
                      Two fans in a fireworks viewing area also suffered minor
                      injuries. Whiting said they tripped and fell as they tried to run
                      away.
                      The city's police and fire departments are investigating the
                      accident along with the state Fire Marshal's Office.
                      Monday's Red Sox game against the Charlotte Knights was
                      scheduled to go on as planned, with Curt Schilling expected to make
                      a rehabilitative start for Pawtucket.
                      ---
                      http://www.pawsox.com

(Copyright 2005 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

Comment

FARMINGTON, N.M. (AP) - Fireworks has sparked two fires in
                        Farmington this weekend, causing the evacuation of several
                        neighborhoods and severe damage to a home.
                        Ruth Zaler says she was evacuated from her home after a fire
                        started in the empty lot next to her house.
                        She says she heard a firecracker and a whoosh and then heard the
                        crackle of some branches on fire.
                        Farmington Fire Marshall Herb Veazy says he believes the fire
                        was started by kids.
                        He says the blaze burned at least two acres of brush and
                        scorched two homes, one severely, and a workshed.
                        About an hour later, a second fire came dangerously close to
                        burning homes in another part of town.
                        Veazy says the second fire was caused by fireworks and burned
                        about three acres of brush.
                        No one was injured in either fire.

Comment

FIREWORKS FIRE
                          Fireworks spark grass fire in Manzano Mountains

MANZANO, N.M. (AP) - A fire burning in grass and juniper in the
                          Manzano Mountains has been contained.
                          Authorities say a boy admitted to playing with the fireworks
                          that likely sparked the fire just south of the village of Manzano
                          yesterday.
                          The fire burned approximately nine acres.
                          A fire information officer says the Forest Service and several
                          volunteer fire departments responded.
                          The fire burned all the way around one structure but it never
                          caught fire.

Comment

Illegal fireworks blamed for Rowley fire

ROWLEY, Mass. (AP) - Illegal fireworks are being blamed for a
                            fire that destroyed a boat and severely damaged a home in Rowley.
                            State Fire Marshal Stephen Coan says the fire on Arthur Gordon
                            Drive was first reported at about 11:30 last night.
                            Investigators found debris from large quantities of expended
                            fireworks throughout the neighborhood.
                            Interviews revealed that two neighborhood residents were setting
                            off illegal fireworks just prior to the fire.
                            Several hundred dollars worth of unused fireworks were
                            confiscated.
                            Coan says the residents of the burned house were NOT at home at
                            the time of the fire. No injuries were reported.
                            Investigators will meet with prosecutors tomorrow to discuss
                            possible charges.

Comment

NORFOLK, Neb. (AP) - Two people escaped injury from a house fire
                              early this morning in Norfolk and fireworks are suspected as the
                              cause.
                              Officials say the fire caused more than 100-thousand dollars in
                              damages.
                              The Norfolk Fire Division said fire fighters found the roof of
                              the home and the garage fully engulfed in flames when they arrived.
                              A spokesman for the fire division says fireworks being shot in
                              the neighborhood probably caused the blaze.

(Thanks Bill Seifert, KNEN, Norfolk)

Comment

SHREVEPORT, La. (AP) - Fireworks may be to blame for a fire that
                                caused heavy damage to a Shreveport home.
                                The fire broke out just before 6 p.m. Sunday.
                                Resident Mattie Conroe said something crashed through her window
                                and landed behind her couch. Then smoke began filling her living
                                room.
                                "I couldn't see it so I moved the couch. There was all this
                                smoke. I was calling for my daughter to grab some water. I was
                                trying to put it out but I couldn't," Conroe said.
                                She said the object appeared to be some type of firecracker.
                                Fire District Chief David Dice explained that firecrackers burn
                                very hot, and cause flames to ignite quickly.
                                The fire spread quickly through Conroe's rented residence.
                                "They had almost no insurance on the contents of the house,"
                                Dice said.
                                Dice added that it was the second such fire in two nights.
                                "Last night in the house across the street they had a firework
                                thrown in the house through a window," he said. He said children
                                in the area had been playing with fireworks over the weekend.
                                No arrests have been reported.
                                ---
                                Information from The (Shreveport) Times, KSLA-TV, KTBS-TV

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                                Working...