Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• StayBack500FT
    replied
    I am happy when I look at the station bays and the rigs are clean...dry and shiny. I am happy when kids stop in and check out the station...I am happy during parades...I am happy when we've made $1,000 a night at BINGO...I am happy when the air conditioning is turned down too low in the studio and all the FOXNEWS girls are "chilly"...I am happy when I do not have to work one-on-one with road signage...I am happy when the Aflac Duck gets smacked on the head in that one commercial...Finally...I am happy to say that is what makes me happy.

Leave a comment:

• engine23ccvfd
    replied
    This thread appears to have tun its course. I beleive the difference in age, terminology, and definition of the words used is slightly different to various age groups and has cuased a misunderstanding.

When I a run a extrication or housefire I am satisfied I did a good job and more times than not am happy i was able to prevent further damage or had the knowledge to quickly extricate a victim.

That does not mean I am w/o remorse/regret the effected family/patient will have to deal with but I am very content knowing I provide a service few others are capable of and am proud to belong to a group of men and women who feel the same way.

Stay Safe,

Leave a comment:

• RyanEMVFD
    replied
    i admit i still get a thrill from running calls but i'm not happy after a business burns down much less three. i'm not saying y'all did a bad job but three business is a little suspicous (sp).

Leave a comment:

• Duffman
    replied
    That's not fair, is it? We listen to all of your points, so I think that you should listen to ours, too. We don't talk out of our ***es all of the time
    So, you admit to talking out of your *** some of the time?

Couldn't resist that one.

Leave a comment:

• psychospitfire
    replied
    Jaybird, just because you don't agree with us doesn't mean we deserve to be ignored. If you choose to, feel free, but don't get all down on us for expressing our opinions.

Leave a comment:

• blaze79
    replied
    It's best just to ignore these two.
    That's not fair, is it? We listen to all of your points, so I think that you should listen to ours, too. We don't talk out of our ***es all of the time.

Leave a comment:

• jaybird210
    replied
    It's best just to ignore these two.

Leave a comment:

• Ohiovolffemtp
    replied
    Folks,
    Everyone's points are valid. Psycho & Blaze are very much entitled to their desire for the satisfaction of being challenged by incidents and responding well. I don't think any of that disregards the fact that there is tremedous personal tragedy for the victims of each call. Even us grey-haired crusties (or is George more shiny than grey???), feel satisfaction from handling calls well.

Psycho is right that a busy department tends to be far happier. I've seen that many times. There is very little infighting if folks are getting the self-satisfaction they look for (esp. on volunteer depts.) from calls. It's when call volume is down that folks tend to start bickering.

George & others are very right that prevention isn't given its due and that each call happens because of a tragedy to someone.

I think the quote Lewiston had summarizes it all best. So, let's not flame a young person who's focused on one part of it. OK?

Leave a comment:

• blaze79
    replied
    No, I am not unhappy when businesses do not go up in flames. I get depressed. JUST KIDDING

I love when we're told we've done a good job.

Leave a comment:

• psychospitfire
    replied
    I don't think you guys get it. You all think that I'm some youngster that doesn't know what I'm talking about, but that's not the case. I'm "happy" because we prevented the fire from spreading. I'm "happy" because no one was hurt. I'm "happy" beacause the department did a good job of working together as a team. Yes, I'm young, and I may not have seen and done as many traumatic things as the rest of you, but I have seen my share of deaths and injuries and tragedies, so plese don't preach to me. Maybe my opinion will change later on in my life, but for right now, I'm glad that I get to help people in their time of need. No, I don't like seeing people in dire situations, but yes, I enjoy being there to help, and if that's a crime, so be it.
    Last edited by psychospitfire; 06-11-2003, 02:37 PM.

Leave a comment:

• blaze79
    replied
    ...so it may be "cool" now.....but after thousands of calls and 16 years let me know how you like it then?
    I hope we love it the way we do now.

Leave a comment:

• ff7134
    replied
    I like the looks on the kids faces across the street from the station as they see the fire truck leaving the station on a call. And I love it when I get to go home and play with my son. To me that is the best.

Leave a comment:

• GeorgeWendtCFI
    replied
    Originally posted by raven911
    The best part of my job is being able to come home and forget about the junk I see at work by hanging out with my family in our wonderful big backyard. With my years in the Coast Guard and Fire Service added together, I have seen enough death and destruction to last a lifetime. Anyone who has done this type of work for any length of time has.
    Try working Arson and occassionally Homicide in the NY Metro area for over 15 years. Never ceases to amaze me what one human can do to another.

Leave a comment:

• raven911
    replied
    The best part of my job is being able to come home and forget about the junk I see at work by hanging out with my family in our wonderful big backyard. With my years in the Coast Guard and Fire Service added together, I have seen enough death and destruction to last a lifetime. Anyone who has done this type of work for any length of time has.

Leave a comment:

• Duffman
    replied
    Calling all crusties

No fewer than three large businesses have gone up in flames since February alone. It keeps us tired and busy but happy.
    So are you guys unhappy when your businesses do not "go up in flames"?

I don't need to see a lot of fire for me to be "happy". There are many other aspects of this job that keep me happy.

Let's turn this thread around.

Crusties, let's share with psycho and her friend blaze the things that make us happy on the job. I will start.

One thing that makes me happy is seeing the look on a child's face when we pull up to the school in the "big red truck" during fire prevention week.

Another is when my wife tells me that every time my son sees a fire engine he says "Daddy drive it?"
    Last edited by Duffman; 06-11-2003, 10:35 AM.

Leave a comment:

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
Working...
X