Keeping Busy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WOW

I didn't think that one little post would cause so much controversy, but then again, I have been wrong before. I appreciate how quick you guys are to jump on my back fo using the wrong word. I simply meant that I would rather be going out to fight a fire and help someone than sit around and do nothing. I like helping people, helping people makes me happy, that's why I'm a firefighter. If you guys can't understand that, then I'm sorry. I may not be as articulate as some, but I don't think that my post was that hard to understand. And believe me, my age has nothing to do with it, there are guys that are three times my age that get just as excited, if not more so than me on the way to a scene. We love what we do. Doing it makes me happy. That's all that I meant.

Comment

Psychospitfire,
      Perhaps a better way to put it is as a BC from Buffalo, NY said, and I am paraphrasing, If someone in my area has the misfortune of needing help, I hope it is while I am on duty.
      Shawn M. Cecula
      Firefighter
      IACOJ Division of Fire and EMS

Comment

I have said this before and I will say it again. The fire service is misdirected. If the fire service put as much money and effort into it's primary focus: PREVENTION, then we would truly be protecting lives and property by having a lot less fires.

There is a great deal to be said about having satisfaction about an exciting job well done. But you must remember that the most effective fire department in the world never goes to a fire. It is disgusting that the most technologically advanced country on the face of the earth has such a pitiful fire loss record; both in terms of property and life. It's very, very sad.
        PROUD, HONORED AND HUMBLED RECIPIENT OF THE PURPLE HYDRANT AWARD - 10/2007.

Comment

I think that psycho is a youngster.......I have 16 years in at a fairly busy suburban department in Ohio ......and I can tell you 2 things .......1 it wears on you and this post will come back to get you at somepoint..not that I dont "enjoy" my job but it is that a job and number 2 after having a fire at my own home ......with a room of origin stop I can tell you that the ensuing time since a month ago is something that our whole department is learing, what happens after we " pick up our hoses" and go home .........so it may be "cool" now ......but after thousands of calls and 16 years let me know how you like it then ?
          IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
          Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
          ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
          RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
          LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
          I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
          "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
          http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Comment

Happy?

Why the "happy" bit gets to me. Go to search engine--tap in-"Moorgate+tube+crash+1975". I was a E.T crew member on a 32 man watch.There were 6 "A" class E.T's in the LFB--when that train hit the end of the tunnel, on Friday Feb 28 1975 at aprox 0850 in the London rush hour--all of them were ordered on--this along with all the nearby stations appliances. Luckily I was not on duty but was on the next day at 0900. The happy bit for me was seeing that I was down for the watch as T.L operator and not part of the 8 man crew of the ET. The relief crew were duly dispatched to the accident site.On Sunday I was aproached by several of the guys riding the the ET who asked me if I would/could ride in their place--one bloke offered me 10 quid if I would "jump"for him(we were earning the princely sum of 14 quid a week).Luckily again I could refuse with good grace as I was the only TL operator. The last body was brought out on my birthday 4th March. Over the 4 days 43 bodies and numerous injured persons were rescued--do you know every fireman was "tired and very busy" not one of them was happy. Weruj1-like you I enjoyed the job, maybe if you just go for a ride and squirt water on a big bonfire,no injury, no bodies, no pain--I think I'd be happy with that. You can only take so much pain and grief before you say"Please, not again"
            "If you thought it was hard getting into the job--wait until you have to hang the "fire gear"up and walk away!"
            Harry Lauder 1981.Me on the left!

Comment

Calling all crusties

No fewer than three large businesses have gone up in flames since February alone. It keeps us tired and busy but happy.
              So are you guys unhappy when your businesses do not "go up in flames"?

I don't need to see a lot of fire for me to be "happy". There are many other aspects of this job that keep me happy.

Let's turn this thread around.

Crusties, let's share with psycho and her friend blaze the things that make us happy on the job. I will start.

One thing that makes me happy is seeing the look on a child's face when we pull up to the school in the "big red truck" during fire prevention week.

Another is when my wife tells me that every time my son sees a fire engine he says "Daddy drive it?"
              Last edited by Duffman; 06-11-2003, 10:35 AM.
              "We shouldn't be opening firehouses in Baghdad and closing them in New York City."

IACOJ

Comment

The best part of my job is being able to come home and forget about the junk I see at work by hanging out with my family in our wonderful big backyard. With my years in the Coast Guard and Fire Service added together, I have seen enough death and destruction to last a lifetime. Anyone who has done this type of work for any length of time has.
                IACOJ Military Division
                NM Office
                ------------------------------------
                "There are three kinds of men: The ones who learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest of them who have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."

Comment

Originally posted by raven911
                  The best part of my job is being able to come home and forget about the junk I see at work by hanging out with my family in our wonderful big backyard. With my years in the Coast Guard and Fire Service added together, I have seen enough death and destruction to last a lifetime. Anyone who has done this type of work for any length of time has.
                  Try working Arson and occassionally Homicide in the NY Metro area for over 15 years. Never ceases to amaze me what one human can do to another.
                  PROUD, HONORED AND HUMBLED RECIPIENT OF THE PURPLE HYDRANT AWARD - 10/2007.

Comment

I like the looks on the kids faces across the street from the station as they see the fire truck leaving the station on a call. And I love it when I get to go home and play with my son. To me that is the best.
                    AKA: Mr. Whoo-Whoo

IAFF Local 3900

IACOJ-The Crusty Glow Worm

ENGINE 302 - The Fire Rats

F.A.N.T.A.M FOOLS FTM-PTB

Comment

...so it may be "cool" now.....but after thousands of calls and 16 years let me know how you like it then?
                      I hope we love it the way we do now.

Comment

I don't think you guys get it. You all think that I'm some youngster that doesn't know what I'm talking about, but that's not the case. I'm "happy" because we prevented the fire from spreading. I'm "happy" because no one was hurt. I'm "happy" beacause the department did a good job of working together as a team. Yes, I'm young, and I may not have seen and done as many traumatic things as the rest of you, but I have seen my share of deaths and injuries and tragedies, so plese don't preach to me. Maybe my opinion will change later on in my life, but for right now, I'm glad that I get to help people in their time of need. No, I don't like seeing people in dire situations, but yes, I enjoy being there to help, and if that's a crime, so be it.
                        Last edited by psychospitfire; 06-11-2003, 02:37 PM.

Comment

No, I am not unhappy when businesses do not go up in flames. I get depressed. JUST KIDDING

I love when we're told we've done a good job.

Comment

Folks,
                            Everyone's points are valid. Psycho & Blaze are very much entitled to their desire for the satisfaction of being challenged by incidents and responding well. I don't think any of that disregards the fact that there is tremedous personal tragedy for the victims of each call. Even us grey-haired crusties (or is George more shiny than grey???), feel satisfaction from handling calls well.

Psycho is right that a busy department tends to be far happier. I've seen that many times. There is very little infighting if folks are getting the self-satisfaction they look for (esp. on volunteer depts.) from calls. It's when call volume is down that folks tend to start bickering.

George & others are very right that prevention isn't given its due and that each call happens because of a tragedy to someone.

I think the quote Lewiston had summarizes it all best. So, let's not flame a young person who's focused on one part of it. OK?
                            Proud to be honored with IACOJ membership. Blessed by TWO meals cooked by Cheffie - a true culinary goddess. Expressing my own views, not my organization's.

Comment

It's best just to ignore these two.
                              Omnis Cedo Domus

www.hinckleyfd.org

Comment

It's best just to ignore these two.
                                That's not fair, is it? We listen to all of your points, so I think that you should listen to ours, too. We don't talk out of our ***es all of the time.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X