• Time
  • Show
Clear All

She goes to jail!

Mother, 37, jailed for having sex with teen

By Peter Franceschina
    Staff Writer
    Posted December 11 2003

A 37-year-old mother of three was sentenced to four years in prison Wednesday for having sex with a 13-year-old boy, by a judge who said it was "unfathomable" she would allow her suburban Lake Worth home to become a gathering place for teens to consume alcohol.

Amy Duane was crying even before the sentencing hearing began, as she hugged supporters. She apologized to the parents of the boy, who were in the courtroom, and promised the judge she would never get in trouble with the law again. Her attorney had asked the judge to sentence her to a term of probation.

"I am truly sorry that I hurt them," Duane said. Then she added the youths who gathered in her home took advantage of her because they knew she didn't have the willpower to ask them to leave.

State guidelines called for a prison sentence of eight to 161/2 years in prison, but the defense cited a number of reasons that the judge should impose probation.

Palm Beach Circuit Judge Jack Cook found only one reason to give Duane a lighter sentence -- that a psychologist testified she suffers from a dependent personality disorder and wanted to be liked by the neighborhood teens. The judge said he was faced with a dilemma.

Duane has no criminal history, has shown remorse and is in treatment that likely would prevent her from committing a similar offense, yet she committed a serious crime, even after the boy's parents had confronted her about e-mails suggesting their relationship was something other than a friendship, he noted.

"This is a vexing issue," the judge wrote in his sentencing order.

He said Duane deserved a break but that she also must be punished.

"I find that a sentence which failed to include a period of incarceration would provide too little consequence for a serious crime," Cook said, reading from his order.

At that point, Duane's husband, James, a Palm Beach County firefighter who was on duty when the alcohol parties took place and who has stood by his wife, bowed his head slightly. As the judge announced the prison term, James Duane began to cry quietly, wiping away tears with a tissue. The judge allowed Amy Duane to remain free during the holidays. She must report to court on Jan. 5 to enter the prison system.

Amy Duane admitted to having sex with the boy once last spring, just before her arrest. The boy has said it happened more than once, although he has given conflicting statements to investigators and lawyers.

At an earlier hearing, Duane told the judge she didn't supply the youths with alcohol but that they helped themselves to her liquor cabinet. She said she took it away from them whenever she caught them drinking. Teenagers told authorities that when they drank at Duane's house they had to abide by "Amy's Rule" -- they couldn't get out-of-control drunk.

Duane pleaded guilty to one count of lewd and lascivious assault on a minor and nine counts of supplying alcohol to minors.

The boy's parents said they were satisfied with the sentence. The boy's mother said she was pleased the judge didn't follow a double standard in sentencing Duane because she is a woman. "I just wanted her to have some time behind bars," the mother said. The South Florida Sun-Sentinel is not naming the mother to avoid identifying her son, the victim.

"A crime against children is a crime against children. It doesn't matter who perpetrated it," the boy's father said.

The case is not over. Duane's friend, Debra Favre, 39, pleaded guilty to a felony for having a sexual encounter with a 16-year-old in Duane's bedroom and to four counts of supplying alcohol to minors. She faces 51/2 to 152/3 years in prison at her February sentencing.

Peter Franceschina can be reached at [email protected] or 561-832-2894.
    Copyright © 2003, South Florida Sun-Senti
    09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
    ------------------------------
    IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
    "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
    BMI Investigator
    The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

Comment

"A crime against children is a crime against children. It doesn't matter who perpetrated it," the boy's father said.
      Amen.
      PROUD, HONORED AND HUMBLED RECIPIENT OF THE PURPLE HYDRANT AWARD - 10/2007.

Comment

Her husband is a heck of alot more understanding than I would of been. She would have an imprint of my Size 11 in her butt.....when she got booted out the door. For once I am at a loss for words......
        AKA: Mr. Whoo-Whoo

IAFF Local 3900

IACOJ-The Crusty Glow Worm

ENGINE 302 - The Fire Rats

F.A.N.T.A.M FOOLS FTM-PTB

Comment

I'm guessing that our Lake Worth firefighter will move on with his life....without her.
          If she wasn't willing to stick by him when he was on duty at the station house, they why would he want to support her and especially for as badly as she screwed his head up?
          I see this marriage ending and quickly.
          CR
          Visit www.iacoj.com
          Remember Bradley Golden (9/25/01)
          RIP HOF Robert J. Compton(ENG6511)

Comment

CR, I agree, but hopefully it ends in his favor.

Tanker
            I.A.C.O.J. Firefighter/EMT-B

"I'm gonna drill a hole in your skull and pump out all the stupidity"
            Gunny Ermey

"Never underestimate the Power of Stupid People in Large Groups"

Humpty Dumpty was pushed

Polishing the Chrome on all the IACOJ "apparati"

Comment

Originally posted by ChiefReason

Originally posted by tanker5117

CR, I agree, but hopefully it ends in his favor.

Tanker
              Amen to that one. James, my Brother, I hope that you find peace in your heart and in your mind. I know how tough something like that is, to face. Keep the Faith.
              Last edited by MalahatTwo7; 12-23-2003, 04:44 PM.
              If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Comment

However it ends, I think it is admirable for him to stand by her this long. Perhaps our brother is bigger than most of us and wants to provide support, assist with behavior modification, and not pass judgement. Whatever, happens, I wish him lots of luck.
                09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
                IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
                "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
                BMI Investigator
                The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                Working...
                X