• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lake Worth Fla--Firefighter's Wife Arrested in Teen Sex Scandal

Teens say women offered booze, sex at house near Lake Worth

By Leon Fooksman
    Staff Writer
    Posted June 6 2003

Amy Duane's house was known for years by neighborhood kids as the place to get sex and alcohol, the youths told police.

Boys and girls interviewed by the Sheriff's Office said they went to her home in a neighborhood west of Lake Worth on days when her husband was working as a firefighter, according to court documents released Thursday. There, they say, they drank whiskey and beer, smoked cigarettes and watched movies. Several boys said they had sex with Duane, 37, or her friend, Debra Favre, 38.

Investigators questioned more than a dozen boys and girls, records show.

Duane, a data-entry processor at Discovery Key Elementary School west of Lake Worth, was arrested last month on charges of lewd acts on a child under 16 and providing alcohol to a minor. Favre, who has worked as a Girl Scouts' registrar, was charged with one count of sexual activity with a minor and two counts of providing alcohol to persons under 21.

Duane and Favre admitted to police they each had sex with at least one boy and sometimes bought alcohol for the youths, court records show.

Duane acknowledged that for years her Pinion Drive home was a gathering place for boys and girls ages 12 to 16. She told police that the youths got whiskey and beer from her cabinets.

Asked by police if the kids were doing anything inappropriate, Duane said, "They're not 8. So I don't have to look over them."

Duane said she had intercourse one time with a 13-year-old boy whom she loved.

She said it happened while her three children were home and in their beds.

Favre told investigators she had sex one time with a 16-year-old boy after giving him an alcoholic drink. Asked by police what happened after the incident, she said, "I had a funny look on my face," meaning the affair should not have happened.

One youth who frequented Duane's house told police that it was a place where "everyone drinks." Another of the children said everyone knew Duane's husband's work schedule and knew when to come to the house.

After both women were released from the Palm Beach County Jail on $15,000 bail, a judge ordered them not to have contact with the children connected to the case. Duane was ordered to have only supervised contact with her children. School officials have reassigned Duane.

A 14-year-old boy also has been charged with obstruction of justice in connection with the case. Attorneys for Duane and Favre could not be reached for comment late Thursday.

Leon Fooksman can be reached at [email protected] or 561-243-6647.
    09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
    ------------------------------
    IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
    "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
    BMI Investigator
    The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

Trial #1

Palm Beach County woman faces 8-16 years in prison for having sex with boy, 13

By Jon Burstein
    Staff Writer
    Posted November 19 2003

A mother of three pleaded guilty Tuesday to having sex with a 13-year-old boy and supplying alcohol to other teenagers who regularly hung out at her house west of Lake Worth while her husband worked.

Amy Duane, 37, agreed to a plea deal that will leave her fate in the hands of Palm Beach County Circuit Judge Jack Cook. She faces eight to 16 1/2 years in prison under state sentencing guidelines.

Sheriff's detectives arrested Duane, a data entry processor at an elementary school, and her friend, Debra Favre, a Girl Scouts registrar, in May after both women admitted having sexual contact with boys at Duane's home, according to court records. Neighborhood junior high and high school students told authorities that the two women allowed them to drink and smoke at the Pinion Drive house when Duane's husband, a firefighter, wasn't around.

Duane first told investigators that she and the victim were "really good friends," but later professed her love for the boy.

Duane maintained that she had sex with the victim once, but the teenager indicated that the sexual relationship might have started up when he was 12, according to Sheriff's Office reports. The teenager told authorities they had sex at least three times.

The victim's mother said Tuesday that Duane -- a woman they had considered a good neighbor -- had an ongoing sexual relationship with her son. The family is still trying to heal from the damage done by Duane, the mother said. The South Florida Sun-Sentinel is not publishing the name of the mother to prevent identifying the victim, a juvenile.

The mother said she approved of the plea deal because her son didn't want to go to court and she didn't want him to go through the embarrassment of a trial.

Duane didn't speak at any length at her court hearing as she pleaded guilty to a single count of lewd or lascivious battery and nine misdemeanors counts of sale of alcohol to persons under 21. As part of the plea deal, prosecutors agreed to drop a second count of lewd or lascivious battery.

Duane declined to talk as she left the courtroom with her attorney.

David Pleasanton, Duane's attorney, said she took the plea because she didn't want to further harm the victim by having him testify. The defense attorney said he anticipates Cook will sentence Duane during the second week of December, but no date has been set.

"She has always said it happened once, and she's said she's sorry," Pleasanton said. "[The case] is sad for Amy Duane, sad for her family, sad for the boy, and it's sad for his family and his parents."

Duane's family moved out of the neighborhood shortly after her arrest, and she is in counseling, he said. Pleasanton said he will ask Cook to give Duane a sentence lighter than eight years in prison because of "several mitigating circumstances." He declined Tuesday to discuss what those circumstances are.

Pleasanton said Duane wasn't throwing alcohol-fueled parties for the teenagers as has been reported.

"If you look at the teenagers involved, it's been said that if they weren't drinking at her place, they would have been drinking someplace else," Pleasanton said. "It wasn't so much as her going out and actively supplying the alcohol as it was them helping themselves to it and her not having the fortitude to tell them, `No, you need to leave.'"

Teenagers told authorities that when they drank alcohol at Duane's house they had to abide by "Amy's Rule" -- they couldn't get out-of-control drunk.

Favre, 39, still faces a single felony count of unlawful sexual activity with a minor and four misdemeanor counts of sale of alcohol to persons under 21. Court documents indicate Favre admitted to having sex with a 16-year-old boy.

Jon Burstein can be reached at [email protected] or 561-832-2895.

Copyright © 2003, South Florida Sun-Sentinel
    BMI Investigator
    The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

Comment

Second Trial

Palm Beach Post

Second woman pleads guilty to sex with teens
      By Alan Gomez, Palm Beach Post Staff Writer
      Thursday, November 27, 2003

WEST PALM BEACH -- The second of two women accused of having sex with a minor pleaded guilty Wednesday and could face more than 15 years in prison.

Prosecutors laid out the details of the charges they levied on 39-year-old Debra Favre:

She frequently handed out alcohol to minors at her best friend's home. She had sex with one of them, a 16-year-old.

Circuit Judge Jack Cook asked, "Did those things happen Ms. Favre?"

"Yes sir," she replied, before walking out of the courtroom and covering her face from cameras.

Favre, of Greenacres, now faces serious prison time on one charge of sexual misconduct with a minor and four counts of providing alcohol to minors.

Favre, who was a registrar with the Girl Scouts of Palm Glades Council when she was arrested, joins her best friend and host for the parties, Amy Duane, who pleaded guilty to similar charges this month.

Duane, a former data processor at Discovery Key Elementary, and Favre were arrested in March when teens began coming forward with details of the parties at Duane's home west of Greenacres.

According to statements made by the teens, Duane's house was a virtual open bar for kids in the neighborhood, as long as Duane's firefighter husband was not home.

Not only was there free alcohol at the house, but a 13-year-old claimed to lose his virginity to Duane while a 16-year-old said he had sex with Favre.

Both Duane and Favre confessed to the crimes, and Cook made it clear to both that he might sentence them anywhere in the sentencing range, which stands between roughly eight and 15 years.

"I can sentence you... to 15 years, 240 days in the Palm Beach County Jail," Cook told Favre on Wednesday, citing the exact maximum she faces under state guidelines.

Assistant State Attorney Angela Miller said they had a rock-solid case and did not entertain offers to lower the charges.

"The state was not involved in negotiations," Miller said. "We maintain a hard line on this because it's a serious, serious offense."

Prosecutors agreed to drop one of the charges against Duane this month partly because the victim did not want to testify in court.

Both women will be sentenced by Cook, Duane in December and Favre in February.
      BMI Investigator

Comment

Ok this is going to come of sounding gruff cause I aint had my coffe yet....................................but what the flying fudge does this thing have to with this guy being a firefighter?????????????????? Why was this even posted? What does it have to do with the fire service? How was this firefighter or his department even involved? Whats the media going to reach for next,"Convicted drug dealer saw a firefighter on the street once"?? She has pleaded guilty and I still dont see in all of these articles how this guy was involved? Stan, I usually read all the articles you post and learn a tid-bit here a tid-bit there,but why did you post this? Stan do not take this in any way as bashing you.
        I dont suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Comment

Originally posted by stm4710
          Ok this is going to come of sounding gruff cause I aint had my coffe yet....................................but what the flying fudge does this thing have to with this guy being a firefighter?????????????????? Why was this even posted? What does it have to do with the fire service? How was this firefighter or his department even involved? Whats the media going to reach for next,"Convicted drug dealer saw a firefighter on the street once"?? She has pleaded guilty and I still dont see in all of these articles how this guy was involved? Stan, I usually read all the articles you post and learn a tid-bit here a tid-bit there,but why did you post this? Stan do not take this in any way as bashing you.
          Last time I checked the fire service, at all levels tends to be fair game to the media. Is it fair? No. But it is the way that it is. The article did say that this happened while he was at work. Now, this is posted in the off duty section, where anything may be posted. This is posting of news. If you don't like it, don't read it. And remember the message you recieved a while back.

THINK BEFORE YOU POST.

don't be a pup.
          IACOJ, Flatlander Division

Comment

Well, firstly I feel sympathy for the brother, how embarassing this must be for him, I can't even begin to imagine how he's feeling. I feel sympathy for their children, she has created a huge stigma for the family within the community. Secondly, for the wife, that's some sick and twisted sh*t she was doing. My son is 14 and if I EVER caught some "woman" old enuff to be his mother diddling him, there'd be hell to pay. I hope she and her friend are punished to the FULL extent the law will allow.
            To the world you might be one person, but to one person you just might be the world.

IACOJ-WOT proud

GO WHITE SOX!!!!!

Comment

What on Earth?

I am a retired firefighter. My ex-Brother in Law blew the head off a Gang member with a shotgun--"Whoopee Sxxt"--leave the poor guy out off it!Do you think it would arouse interest if it read "Celery growers wife abuses child?" Get real the guy was at work and has been conned by someone he trusted
              "If you thought it was hard getting into the job--wait until you have to hang the "fire gear"up and walk away!"
              Harry Lauder 1981.Me on the left!

Comment

Stan, I usually read all the articles you post and learn a tid-bit here a tid-bit there,but why did you post this? Stan do not take this in any way as bashing you.
                It was sent to me and I decided to post it in the off duty threads simply because it related to a brother firefighter having difficult times due to something he had no control over, but none the less has to be difficult for him in his position.

STM4170...I did not take it as bashing...I got broad shoulders and have been bashed by the best!
                BMI Investigator

Comment

stm4710:
                  May I call you Jesse?
                  Anyway, why don't you ask the question that you're just dying to ask, which is:
                  DOES SHE HAVE A SISTER?
                  The article, in case you missed it, was about a firefighter who had a wife that is less than faithful and appears to be in love with a 13 year old boy. Can you say "severely mentally deranged"? That's why it is "firefighter news". Oh and the fact that the kids in the neighborhood had learned what a firefighter's schedule is. But I can't help but wonder how he wouldn't see the money being spent for booze. Unless.....
                  And stop drinking coffee. It'll stunt your growth.
                  CR
                  Visit www.iacoj.com
                  Remember Bradley Golden (9/25/01)
                  RIP HOF Robert J. Compton(ENG6511)

Comment

Anyway, why don't you ask the question that you're just dying to ask, which is: DOES SHE HAVE A SISTER?
                    LOL!!!!

No thanks Chief,Im happy with my gf.
                    I dont suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Comment

Sounds like every high school guys dream, free booze, sex, and cigarettes.
                      This women is seriously derranged though!!! and I feel bad for the husband.

Comment

the world wants to know...

Was her name Stiffler's Mom???
                        Tim Newman
                        Assistant Director
                        Reno County Emergency Management
                        Hutchinson, KS
                        KA4CKR

www.renogov.com

Comment

This article would have made the papers I agree. Because it is a firemans wife makes it all that much more open. As public employees we are more than likely to have a eye on us and what we do. Do I agree our families need to be in the spotlight also. NO! I do not agree with what the wife did and do not get me wrong it would have made it to the papers anyway.

Another case in point that we had in MI today is a off duty police officer died at home while hanging Christmas lights and fell off the ladder-Here is a link to the news story

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/2674825/detail.html

My condolances are with the family but I think the news made a big mistake on this one and a could have done the public a major service about ladder safety and safety while putting up Christmas lights. Instead they focus on the fact that he was a off duty officer and it was the second officer this department has lost.

Like I said do not take me wrong I feel very badly for all the families involved but shouldn't we be able to have time when we are not connected to our respective departments.

I do not want to sound hypicritical with that statement because I do preach when I interview a new candidate that once the public finds out we are firefighters we are always representing the department.

Does it make it right?
                          Last edited by lmrchief2; 12-02-2003, 02:08 AM.
                          Les Hartford
                          Assistant Chief
                          LMR Fire Dept.

The views posted here are strickly my own and not of any of the groups I am affiliated with.

IACOJ Member

Comment

Pre-Sentencing

Defense seeks leniency for Palm Beach County mother who had sex with boy, 13

By Peter Franceschina
                            Staff Writer
                            Posted December 9 2003

A mother of three who admitted to having sex with a 13-year-old boy and supplying alcohol to other teens in her suburban Lake Worth home will find out on Wednesday whether she is going to prison.

Amy Duane, 37, faces eight to 16 1/2 years in prison under state sentencing guidelines, but during a Monday hearing her attorney asked Palm Beach County Circuit Judge Jack Cook to impose a term of probation. Prosecutors are seeking prison time, and the victim's mother asked the judge to give Duane the maximum for abusing the trust of the neighborhood children and their parents and lying about the relationship more than a year before she was arrested.

"First and foremost, she needs to be punished," prosecutor Daliah Weiss told the judge. She said Duane cultivated the relationship and went to great lengths to try to hide it because she knew she could get in trouble. "It only stopped because she was caught."

Cook said he will announce his decision during a Wednesday hearing. A tearful Duane apologized to the judge and the boy's parents, maintaining that she and the boy had sex only once. The teenager indicated that the sexual relationship might have started when he was 12, according to Sheriff's Office reports. The teenager told authorities they had sex at least three times, but he has given conflicting accounts.

Duane's attorney, David Pleasanton, told the judge that Duane is receiving counseling and realizes she was wrong to engage in the relationship.

"Prison is not going to rehabilitate Amy Duane," he said. "If she's on probation she can get the treatment she needs."

Sheriff's detectives arrested Duane, then a data-entry processor at Discovery Key Elementary School, and her friend, Debra Favre, then a Girl Scouts registrar, in May after both women admitted having sexual contact with boys at Duane's home, according to court records. Neighborhood junior high and high school students told authorities that the two women allowed them to drink and smoke at the Pinion Drive house when Duane's husband, a firefighter, wasn't around.

Last month, Duane pleaded guilty to a single count of lewd or lascivious battery and nine misdemeanors counts of sale of alcohol to persons under 21. As part of the plea deal, prosecutors agreed to drop a second count of lewd or lascivious battery.

Favre, 39, also pleaded guilty last month to having a sexual encounter with a 16-year-old in the bedroom of her friend and supplying alcohol to minors. Favre, scheduled to be sentenced in February, faces 51/2 to 152/3 years in prison under state guidelines.

Peter Franceschina can be reached at [email protected] sun-sentinel.com or 561-832-2894. Email story
                            Copyright © 2003, South Florida Sun-Sentinel
                            BMI Investigator

Comment

Palm Beach Post Article

Woman who had sex with teen seeks light sentence

By Alan Gomez, Palm Beach Post Staff Writer

WEST PALM BEACH -- Amy Duane tried to explain Monday that she's not some sexual deviant who preys on innocent little boys.

She said she didn't run an open bar out of her house as neighborhood teens alleged, and when she admittedly had sex with one of them -- a 13-year-old -- it was more due to her reluctance to say no than any sexual urges.

Duane took the stand during an emotional, four-hour hearing that set the stage for her sentencing Wednesday. The 37-year-old former data processor at Discovery Key Elementary faces eight to 16 years in prison after pleading guilty to one count of lewd and lascivious battery on a person less than 16 and nine counts of providing alcohol to minors.

On Monday, Duane sat and listened as the 13-year-old boy's mother explained how Duane had hurt their lives. Duane listened with her head buried in her hands as her husband, Jimmy Duane, a Palm Beach firefighter, said he'd stay by her side even after she betrayed him. And she listened as a psychologist tried to explain how Duane's dependent personality disorder was partly to blame for her decision to have sex with the boy.

"She doesn't have a lot of confidence in herself," said psychologist Scott Costanza. "She found that she got a lot of acceptance from children."

Duane's defense attorney asked Circuit Judge Jack Cook to go below the sentencing guidelines and order Duane to a strict probation that would allow her to get the treatment she needs.

David Pleasanton said Duane should be given leniency because the sex was a one-time mistake, she has shown severe remorse, her three children need her at home and she can't get the treatment she needs in the Florida Department of Corrections.

Duane was arrested in April after neighborhood teens said her Greenacres house was an open bar for them, and the 13-year-old boy said he had an ongoing sexual relationship with her.

Duane said Monday that her house wasn't a constant party as the kids described. She said she caught some of the kids sneaking into her liquor cabinet a few times, but didn't condone it.

And she said she didn't seduce the boy. After Duane testified that the boy had initiated the intercourse, prosecutor Daliah Weiss asked Duane why she didn't say no.

" 'Cause I couldn't," Duane said. Prosecutors said the only reason the sexual relationship with the boy ended is "because she got caught."

"This is a 37-year-old woman working around her husband's schedule while her children were asleep," Weiss said. "Everyone could benefit, I'm sure, from treatment... but first and foremost, she needs to be punished."

While the boy did not come to court Monday -- Weiss agreed to a plea bargain partly to save him from testifying in open court -- both his parents did.

They argued that the potential harm Duane could have done -- transmitting a sexually transmitted disease or becoming pregnant -- was severe, as could be the future emotional harm of the boy.

They asked Cook -- who refused in August to revoke Duane's bond after she violated her probation by contacting the boy -- to show her no more leniency and sentence her just as a male defendant would be punished for having sex with a 13-year-old girl.

"There should be no double-standard here," the mother said.

[email protected]
                              BMI Investigator

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X