Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disciplining Children

So for a thread totally NOT fire/ems/police related-

Do you beleive in disciplining your children?

(By discipline, I mean physical such as a spank with the hand, cane,wooden spoon, ruler, etc.)

It seems to be a really controversial topic over here at the moment and certaibly led to some really interesting discussions amongst friends....
    Yes
    91.43%
    No
    8.57%
    Luke

My children have received an occasional swat on the backside, and I do mean occasional.

I would never use anything other than my hand. Rulers, canes or stick do not constitute discipline but go far beyond it as far as I am concerned.
    IACOJ

Comment

Well speaking as recent child. Sometimes when I was real bad my dad might spank me a good one,usally got the point across to stop but he never had to do it often to.Good little boys are bad ones that dont caught!

Comment

An occasional swat across the backside is fine. I grew up with that and, man, if I knew that I was doing something really bad that would result in getting a spanking, I stopped doing it!!

Comment

Been the receiver of a few swats myself.. at least until the brush broke across my backside. I thought it was pretty funny cuz it was the first swing for that "time"... but Mom also put her back out at the same time, so in the end, yes it did hurt her more than me.

Incidentally that was the last time that either my sister or I got smacked. The other punishments that followed in lieu of....

As for discipline of my children, yes they do get a smack on the fingers usually (they are still toddlers), but no doubt that after the diaper stage, it will carry on to their backsides too.

However discretion is still the better part of valour... dont be too hard on them, but make sure they know why they are getting it.
          If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Comment

when i was bad i was swated with a belt. I turned out fine.
            NREMT-P\ Reserve Volunteer Firefighter\Reserve Police Officer
            IACOJ Attack

Experts built the Titanic, amateurs built the Ark.

Comment

Yup....

Like Ryan said, growing up I got the belt, wooden spoon, etc.. The most effective punishment was being pulled by my earlobes. I swear that my father is the reason why my ears aren't symmetrical!!

As for my daughter, she's a toddler so the only punishement she receives is a light smack on the fingers when she touches something she shouldn't, a light squeeze on the cheeks if she's 'spicy' to Mommy or Daddy or a swat on the behind when she flails her legs during a tantrum and kicks me in the mouth.....she ALWAYS manages to draw blood!!

I CAN'T WAIT for the terrible-2's to be over!!!

AARGH!! Then there's parents like this:

http://www.philly.com/mld/dailynews/6008794.htm

(let me know if you need me to post the article...it's kinda long!)
              Once again....the above views are my own and not that of my department. (And probably should not be construed as having any real meaning, whatsoever!)

IACOJ

Comment

Yeppers got a couple of smacks myself...personally I think a big part of the problems with children today is lack of a good smack when needed.....by the way when you are about eight or so and mom gives you a smack for being a smart *** dont try to smack her back....Dad will get ****ed and he can smack more effeciently

Comment

The joke in my firehouse is that the method of "babysitting" for kids is DUCT TAPE AND ROPE them and put them in the closet. We are KIDDDING, I didn't think anyone would actually do this. I should have known better.

I have no kids, they are cute as long as they go home after a few minutes
                  9/11/01 Never forget Never forgive

Dusty, working on Crusty IACOJ

Comment

forgot to mention the washing the mouth with soap trick....dont ever try to be defiant and eat the bar of soap....you will feel very sick for a very long time.....Ya'll figured out yet I am the rebelious type?

Stay Safe

Comment

Well, have to say most of my "practice" has been on my nieces & nephews, but then again I have a gaggle of them.

Toddlers & such might get the occasional "attention" tap. Heck, I use that on my dogs too when they're not paying attention.

Beyond that, I do think there is an age range where modest coporal punishment (spanking) is appropriate when they know they shouldn't, you told them to stop, and they still did. That probably peters out around 7/8 years old as they become old enough you can reason with them (stop laughing) or at least come up with punishments (groundings, particularly disliked chores, etc) that affect their "personal" time.
                      IACOJ Canine Officer
                      20/50

Comment

And if that doesn't work, you can just hogtie 'em and throw 'em in the closet. Right, fflynn17?

Comment

The punishment I hated most was the dreaded

I'm so disappointed in you............ lecture.

Beat me, flay me, do anything, just don't give me that look!!!!!

Then again, my kids are just getting to that age where that is starting to work....
                          IACOJ

Comment

damn my *** got pretty hard after so many whoopings
                            FireSarge
                            Joseph Sullivan
                            Ohio

"Any man willing to die in my place is my brother. Any man willing to turn and run is my enemy. Which will you be?"

Comment

Speaking of Hog-tieing... a friend of ours (this was not a punishment as such but the daughter was being a bit of a brat.) stapled his youngest to the wall.

He asked her to stand on a chair, which she did... then he stapled her to the wall, all the way around... apparently she giggled her *** off the whole while too.

Oh and the "disappointment" line came out yesterday with one of the girls... still to see if it made an impact or not....
                              If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X