Announcement

Collapse

Firehouse.com Forum Rules & Guidelines

Forum Rules & Guidelines

Not Permitted or Tolerated:
• Advertising and/or links of commercial, for-profit websites, products, and/or services is not permitted. If you have a need to advertise on Firehouse.com please contact sales@firehouse.com
• Fighting/arguing
• Cyber-bullying
• Swearing
• Name-calling and/or personal attacks
• Spamming
• Typing in all CAPS
• “l33t speak” - Substituting characters for letters in an effort to represent a word or phrase. (example: M*****ive)
• Distribution of another person’s personal information, regardless of whether or not said information is public knowledge and whether or not an individual has permission to post said personal information
• Piracy advocation of any kind
• Racist, sexual, hate type defamatory, religious, political, or sexual commentary.
• Multiple forum accounts

Forum Posting Guidelines:

Posts must be on-topic, non-disruptive and relevant to the firefighting community. Post only in a mature and responsible way that contributes to the discussion at hand. Posting relevant information, helpful suggestions and/or constructive criticism is a great way to contribute to the community.

Post in the correct forum and have clear titles for your threads.

Please post in English or provide a translation.

There are moderators and admins who handle these forums with care, do not resort to self-help, instead please utilize the reporting option. Be mature and responsible for yourself and your posts. If you are offended by another member utilize the reporting option. All reported posts will be addressed and dealt with as deemed appropriate by Firehouse.com staff.

Firehouse.com Moderation Process:
Effective immediately, the following moderation process will take effect. User(s) whose posts are determined by Firehouse.com staff to be in violation of any of the rules above will EARN the following reprimand(s) in the moderation process:
1. An initial warning will be issued.
2. A Final Warning will be issued if a user is found to be in violation a second time.
3. A 3-day suspension will be issued if the user continues to break the forum rules.
4. A 45-day suspension will be issued if the user is found to be a habitual rule breaker.
5. Habitual rule breakers that have exhausted all of the above will receive a permanent life-time ban that will be strictly enforced. Reinstatement will not be allowed – there is no appeal process.

Subsequent accounts created in an effort to side-step the rules and moderation process are subject to automatic removal without notice. Firehouse.com reserves the right to expedite the reprimand process for any users as it is deemed necessary. Any user in the moderation process may be required to review and agree to by email the terms and conditions listed above before their account is re-instated (except for those that are banned).

Firehouse.com reserves the right to edit and/or remove any post or member, at any time, for any reason without notice. Firehouse.com also reserves the right to warn, suspend, and/or ban, any member, at any time, for any reason.

Firehouse.com values the active participation we have in our forums. Please ensure your posts are tasteful and tactful. Thank you very much for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Close The Strait of Hormuz? You COULD

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ya kinda funny that eh? Km and I were out yesterday and noticed that fuel prices had actually dropped a few cents over the past week. The news has been reporting that the price of a barrel has actually increased..... a disconnect somewhere perhaps? Or setting us up with a false sense of "security"? LOL
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Comment

Just what we need: More nukes on the market.

Den Tandt: Sanctions only real weapon left to prevent nuclear Iran

By Michael Den Tandt, Postmedia News January 3, 2012

If it were possible for the United States or Israel to successfully prosecute a surgical, limited war on Iran to cripple or significantly delay its nuclear weapons program, that war would already be under way.

The fact that war has not yet broken out — despite renewed sabre-rattling in the Persian Gulf — suggests that the key agents in this new cold war have concluded that none of their interests would be served by the conflict going hot now. Regardless of the outcome, they know there would be no winners.

This is not to say there is not a risk, this year, of the wider regional Middle Eastern conflagration many feared immediately after 9/11, with Iran the crux. But it may just be that resolve in the White House, in Tel Aviv, in Paris and London (with support from Ottawa) and simple self-interest in Tehran, will coalesce to forge, if not peace, then at least an absence of mutually disastrous mass violence.

Here is what Western public opinion often fails to grasp about Iran's nuclear program: it has massive popular support.

Iran was the seat of the Persian Empire. It is a geographically large and populous nation of 80 million people, rich in natural wealth, at the epicentre of the world's most strategically vital region. As the standard-bearer for Shia Islam it has many natural enemies, of which Israel and the United States are only two. Saudi Arabia, and Sunni-led regimes generally, are believed to be quietly pushing the U.S. to attack Iran sooner rather than later.

Moreover, Iranians have seen first-hand what happens to enemies of the U.S. who have no nuclear deterrent, versus those who do.

Saddam Hussein's nuclear program at Osirak was destroyed by an Israeli bomb strike in 1981. Saddam possessed chemical weapons during the first Gulf War in 1990, but was persuaded not to use them by a quiet U.S. threat to retaliate with nuclear weapons. By the time of the U.S. invasion in 2003, Saddam had neither nukes nor chemical weapons. He was toppled and later hanged.

Pakistan acquired nukes and achieved an uneasy balance of terror with India. North Korea acquired nukes, albeit in primitive form, but has not been attacked as a result. Moammar Gadhafi had an active WMD program but gave it up in 2004, while penning love songs to U.S. Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice. Gadhafi's end is on YouTube for all to see.

Set against the popular Iranian idea of nuclear manifest destiny, and self-protection, is a rock-steady, deeply-held belief by most Israelis, including the leadership among all parties and in the military, that a nuclear Iran cannot be allowed. Contrary to the caricatures in Western media, this is not driven by a simple belief that, given the power, Iran would drop a nuclear bomb on Tel Aviv. Rather it's about the balance of power, and of fear.

In the six decades since its founding, the State of Israel has always maintained overwhelming military supremacy as its best defence in a hostile neighbourhood. Israel is believed to have some 200 nuclear warheads, with which it can threaten the existence of any nation that would threaten its existence. Iran's going nuclear, combined with its leaders' professed hatred of Jews and of Israel, would upend that balance. Israel's tiny land mass makes it particularly vulnerable to nuclear attack.

A nuclear Iran would in a stroke become a dominant regional power — able to offer shelter to other regimes hostile to Israel. Iraq, formerly a Sunni-led counterbalance to Iran, is now Shia-dominated. This raises the prospect of a Shia regional superpower, which Sunni regimes — led by Saudi Arabia — would feel compelled to offset. A regional nuclear arms race likely would ensue.

Here's why, despite all that, Israel has not already attacked.

Though Iran's navy and air force are a ramshackle joke set against the might of the U.S. Fifth Fleet, based in Bahrain, or indeed the Israeli Defense Forces, Iran has 450,000 men under arms. It has an arsenal of short-range, Chinese-built anti-ship missiles with which to harry tanker traffic in the Gulf. And it has Hezbollah in Lebanon, where it has been re-arming its rocket brigades since the war of 2006, and from which it can strike northern Israel.

Iran cannot be invaded and occupied, as Iraq was: it is too big and too populous. And Iran's nuclear sites are dispersed: destroying key facilities at Natanz, Bushehr and Arak would not end the threat. Indeed, a limited strike might simply speed the pace of Iranian nuclear development.

All of which leads to the latest round of punitive sanctions, signed into law by President Barack Obama on New Year's Eve and set to go into effect in six months. These directly target Iran's oil industry, which accounts for 80 per cent of its exports. Iran's currency, the rial, is in free fall already. Republican presidential aspirant Ron Paul has called the sanctions an "act of war."

In a way, Paul is right: The sanctions are economic warfare. They are also the last, best chance for peace. The calculation is that harsh economic pressure — combined with the overwhelming air superiority of the U.S. and Israel, likely backed by France and Britain should this degenerate into a shooting war — will persuade the Iranians to reconsider, difficult though that may be for them.

Their simple self-interest dictates that they should, and will, if the sanctions are given time to bite.

mdentandt@postmedia.com

Twitter/mdtmobile

© Copyright (c) Postmedia News

Read more: http://www.canada.com/news/Tandt+San...#ixzz1iVMFkDn8

BTW, a "short, victorious war" usually ISN'T.
      If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

Comment

Since the original story "broke" I have been more than a bit puzzled by the lack of any distinctly "Canadian" response in any of the stories and reports about Iran and its proposal to close the Strait of Hormuz. NOW, I think I understand, and my puzzlement has become something of concern, with a sprinkling of "Conflict of Interest". This report comes directly from the DND/CF Public Affairs Office:

Canada's defence minister tied the knot Wednesday way south of the border. Peter MacKay married Nazanin Afshin-Jam in a private ceremony reported to have taken place in Mexico, according to his website.

Afshin-Jam is Iranian-born and a former Miss Canada World who has since become a high-profile human rights activist. The trilingual pilot was once named one of the 50 most beautiful people in the world.

"She is the most important person in my life and over the coming months, Nazanin and I look forward to spending more time at home in Central Nova and sharing our happiness with all of you," MacKay said in a statement on his website.

"Nazanin and I would like to wish everyone a very Happy New Year and all the best for 2012." On Twitter, Conservative MP Laurie Hawn, MacKay's former parliamentary secretary, congratulated the newlyweds "on tying the knot in Mexico today. Wishing them many happy years together."

Afshin-Jam became Miss World Canada and runnerup Miss World in 2003. She went on to receive worldwide fame during her successful effort to save from execution a young Iranian woman who at age 17 had stabbed a wouldbe rapist to death. She then co-founded Stop Child Executions, a group dedicated to ending capital punishment of children in Iran.

Afshin-Jam, who holds international relations and political science degrees from the University of British Columbia, also serves on the board of directors of the Canadian Race Relations Foundation. She previously served as a global youth educator with the Red Cross.

MacKay's personal life has frequently made headlines in recent years. In a September 2006 article, the New York Times took stock of his "star appeal" and cited rumours that MacKay and former U.S. secretary of state Condoleezza Rice were getting close to each other. The article described the defence minister as "the closest thing to eye candy on the diplomatic circuit."

The previous year, MacKay and former politician Belinda Stronach went through a public split, during which MacKay described his heart as being "a little banged up."

In the summer of 2010, MacKay's love life was again front and centre when he ended his engagement with Jana Juginovic, a CTV executive. A senior Conservative has said, "women have tried to mould (MacKay) to suit their needs, but it's just not going to happen.

"He likes stability, he likes to have someone there, he wants someone to come home to, but he doesn't want to settle down - Peter puts work before women."

In a 2005 interview, however, MacKay said the fact he has not started a family "weighs heavily" on him. He said if he had to choose between the prospect of leading a political party - or even the country - he would choose family.

"That's not to say you can't do both," he added at the time.

Section: News
        Lead: Parliament Hill's most eligible bachelor has tied the knot with a brilliant Persian beauty queen.
        Headline: MacKay weds Iranian-born beauty
        Page: 7
        Byline: KRIS SIMS, PARLIAMENTARY BUREAU
        Outlet: The Ottawa Sun

For my US friends, the Minister of National Defence is like your Defence Secretary, and is appointed by the Prime Minister.

Comment

Originally posted by MalahatTwo7 View Post
          Since the original story "broke" I have been more than a bit puzzled by the lack of any distinctly "Canadian" response in any of the stories and reports about Iran and its proposal to close the Strait of Hormuz. NOW, I think I understand, and my puzzlement has become something of concern, with a sprinkling of "Conflict of Interest". This report comes directly from the DND/CF Public Affairs Office:

[COLOR="#0000CD"]Canada's defence minister tied the knot Wednesday way south of the border. Peter MacKay married Nazanin Afshin-Jam in a private ceremony reported to have taken place in Mexico, according to his website.

Afshin-Jam is Iranian-born and a former Miss Canada World who has since become a high-profile human rights activist. The trilingual pilot was once named one of the 50 most beautiful people in the world.
          I don't see any conflicting interests.. none at all.
          So you call this your free country
          Tell me why it costs so much to live
          -3dd

Comment

Trust Da Boyz From New Joizey to work that one out! ahahahhaaaa

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

300x600 Forums Only

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Lower 970x90

Collapse