Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

Firehouse.com Forum Rules & Guidelines

Forum Rules & Guidelines

Not Permitted or Tolerated:
• Advertising and/or links of commercial, for-profit websites, products, and/or services is not permitted. If you have a need to advertise on Firehouse.com please contact [email protected]
• Fighting/arguing
• Cyber-bullying
• Swearing
• Name-calling and/or personal attacks
• Spamming
• Typing in all CAPS
• “l33t speak” - Substituting characters for letters in an effort to represent a word or phrase. (example: M*****ive)
• Distribution of another person’s personal information, regardless of whether or not said information is public knowledge and whether or not an individual has permission to post said personal information
• Piracy advocation of any kind
• Racist, sexual, hate type defamatory, religious, political, or sexual commentary.
• Multiple forum accounts

Forum Posting Guidelines:

Posts must be on-topic, non-disruptive and relevant to the firefighting community. Post only in a mature and responsible way that contributes to the discussion at hand. Posting relevant information, helpful suggestions and/or constructive criticism is a great way to contribute to the community.

Post in the correct forum and have clear titles for your threads.

Please post in English or provide a translation.

There are moderators and admins who handle these forums with care, do not resort to self-help, instead please utilize the reporting option. Be mature and responsible for yourself and your posts. If you are offended by another member utilize the reporting option. All reported posts will be addressed and dealt with as deemed appropriate by Firehouse.com staff.

Firehouse.com Moderation Process:
Effective immediately, the following moderation process will take effect. User(s) whose posts are determined by Firehouse.com staff to be in violation of any of the rules above will EARN the following reprimand(s) in the moderation process:
1. An initial warning will be issued.
2. A Final Warning will be issued if a user is found to be in violation a second time.
3. A 3-day suspension will be issued if the user continues to break the forum rules.
4. A 45-day suspension will be issued if the user is found to be a habitual rule breaker.
5. Habitual rule breakers that have exhausted all of the above will receive a permanent life-time ban that will be strictly enforced. Reinstatement will not be allowed – there is no appeal process.

Subsequent accounts created in an effort to side-step the rules and moderation process are subject to automatic removal without notice. Firehouse.com reserves the right to expedite the reprimand process for any users as it is deemed necessary. Any user in the moderation process may be required to review and agree to by email the terms and conditions listed above before their account is re-instated (except for those that are banned).

Firehouse.com reserves the right to edit and/or remove any post or member, at any time, for any reason without notice. Firehouse.com also reserves the right to warn, suspend, and/or ban, any member, at any time, for any reason.

Firehouse.com values the active participation we have in our forums. Please ensure your posts are tasteful and tactful. Thank you very much for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Memorial Day............

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Memorial Day............

It has been said that Memorial Day is a time for Rememberance and Thanks, and I agree....... Two men, and their Service to our country, mean a lot to me, and mention of them today is the least that I can do........

First, my late (also older) Brother, John R. Woods Sr., "Ray" to all who knew him. Although we were Typical kids growing up we ended up moving in different directions after passing Sixteen and wrapping up School. Ray joined the United States Marines and served a four year tour in the Pacific. Folks have often said "once a Marine, always a Marine" and that was Ray. Returning from his Tour, he landed a job with the Prince Georges County FD, and went on to spend 30 years as a Firefighter and Officer. His "USMC Pride" was noticeable in both his professional and personal lives, and one only had to work "His" house for one shift to see it first hand. He made a positive impact on many people and their careers in the Fire Service. His passing in 2006 from Cancer was way too soon........ His legacy still continues though, as his Son, John R. Woods Jr., is serving as a Battalion Chief in a Mid-Atlantic Combination Department.

Second, My Grandson, U.S.Army Infantryman David O'Connor...... Dave finished school and wanted to become a Firefighter. He also had an interest in the Military, and ended up enlisting in the Army, thinking that he could gain some experience there that might help him as he sought a Firefighting job after his enlistment was up. After training, waiting around for assignment, and on a Saturday in December getting married, Dave was off to Afghanistan. While there, he picked up a Purple Heart for a knee wound, and several other medals as well. He's OK, still serving today, and still planning for a Fire Service Career eventually.

Thank You both for all you've done for our great Nation........
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Thank you Harve for reminding us what this day is about.

And to all of the Men & Women that have given so much to our nation,

Thank You!
    HAVE PLAN.............WILL TRAVEL

Comment

Thank you all for your service!
      Never Forget!
      Firefighting - one of the few professions left that still makes house calls.

Comment

Lest We Forget.
        Last edited by firecat1; 08-17-2011, 04:40 PM.

Comment

We enjoy our freedoms because there are brave men and women made the supreme sacrifice and there are brave men and women who continue to serve on the front lines.

Thank you!
          ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
          Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Comment

I received this as part of a more politically motivated email, but as an exerpt, it seems appropriate:

Gen. Joe Wheeler is one of the few senior Confederate officers allowed to sleep in a grave at Arlington.

Like all our national summer holidays, the day is observed mostly with picnics, the occasional burst of fireworks creasing the night sky, raucous noise billed as music and the swilling of enormous quantities of brewed beverages. Memorial Day is different, if only by degree. But its origins are lost in argument, its original purpose shrouded in the fog of forgetfulness. Several cities in both North and South claim to be the holiday’s birthplace, but the ceremonies and parades that once made it a holiday second only to the Fourth of July have been relegated to the dustbin of memory.

President Lyndon Johnson four decades ago declared Waterloo, N.Y., to be the official birthplace of Decoration Day (as it was first called) but the women of the South decorated the graves of their fallen sons even before the Civil War ended, commemorated in a hymn, “Kneel Where Our Loves Lie Sleeping,” published in 1867. Memorial Day was first “officially” declared the following year by Gen. John A. Logan, commander of the Grand Army of the Republic—not an army at all, but a forerunner of the American Legion—who rode across the Potomac on May 30 of that year to decorate the graves of both Union and Confederate dead. His decoration of Southern graves was not widely appreciated by the Radical Republicans who presided over the capital that time of bitter division.

The most persuasive claim for the origin of a decoration day is made by Columbus, Ga., where the widow of Col. C.J. Williams of the 1st Georgia Infantry tended his grave with their little daughter, after he died in the early days of the Civil War. She visited his grave every day, to sit in reflection of “the mystic chords of memory” while their little girl plucked weeds from unmarked graves nearby and covered them with flowers. She called them the graves of “my soldier boys.” A short time later, as a contemporary account told it, “the dear little girl was summoned by the angels to join her father,” and the widow, now childless, took up the little girl’s practice of caring for soldiers’ graves. In March 1868, about the time that Gen. Logan was first thinking of visiting Arlington with his flowers, the Widow Williams suggested setting apart one day every year as the occasion for “love to pay tribute to valor.” She suggested April 26, and to this day in hundreds of graveyards across the South women pay separate tribute to Southern valor by placing tiny Confederate battle flags at the foot of the graves of their honored dead.

From the beginning, the tribute to the memory of sacrifice was an attempt to bridge the partisan divide. Politicians in both North and South were eager to wave the bloody shirt come election time, and it was the women who were, as usual, the civilizing influence. But civilizing men, as most any woman is eager to tell you, is not always easy. The echoes of shot and shell that had summoned men to battle were barely beginning to fade when America stood at the cusp of war with Spain just as the century ended. Not everyone though it was a good idea to organize Southerners into an army so soon after Appomattox. Someone had the good idea of offering command to a former Confederate officer, and to Gen. Joe Wheeler, a hard-hitting cavalry commander from Alabama who briefly delayed Sherman’s torching of Atlanta. He and his troops fought well in Cuba, though in the din of battle at Las Guasimas he forgot where he was and rallied his men with the cry: “Let’s go, boys! We’ve got the damn Yankees on the run again.”

He died with his boots on in Brooklyn a decade later, pleased to parade in his uniform of Union blue, and he is one of the few senior Confederate officers allowed to sleep in a grave at Arlington. The flags of the two American nations whose uniforms he wore decorated his grave this year.
            If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Comment

FWIW, Blandford Cemetery in Petersburg, VA was first noted as the first place that graves were decorated, thus later being called Decoration Day.

I learn this in US History, back in the early 1950's!
              Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Comment

I know, I'm a day late on this one. I was doin' my Memorial Day things, including remembering those that have gone before me.

The one in particular I think of every year, actually, most of the year, is my Grandfather SSgt Lelton H. Pittman of the U.S. Army 6th Infantry Division, 1st Infantry Regiment, Company B. This man is my hero. He served with one of the hardest fighting units in the Pacific Theater, going 180 days straight in combat with no relief. He landed on Luzon a PFC and a couple of days later was combat promoted to SSgt and awarded his first of two Bronze Stars. I could only hope to ever be as good of a man as him. I miss him very much as he died in '99. But he will always be my hero. This salute is for you Papaw.

Whenever I hear any of the younger guys bitching about having to deploy for 7 months to a year, I can't halp but remind them of the old schoolers that deployed for the whole war until they got enough points to go home and stay home. It gets them to shut up quick and in a hurry.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                Working...
                X