The Helmet Pic Thread (2nd Alarm)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hwoods View Post
    Guys..... I don't mean to get this thread off track, but does anyone who has been here a bit remember where we had the Thread about our Personal Vehicles?? It had gotten up to more than a few pages, with everyone posting pics of their ride....... Including the Show Stopper, Gonzo's Mustang.....

Anyway, I tried the Search thing last night and didn't find it.......

I do remember that one....last time I saw it though was before I had an account.....

Comment

Guys..... I don't mean to get this thread off track, but does anyone who has been here a bit remember where we had the Thread about our Personal Vehicles?? It had gotten up to more than a few pages, with everyone posting pics of their ride....... Including the Show Stopper, Gonzo's Mustang.....

This isn't good Chieftain this is the second time I've found you sitting along the road trying to remember something in the last two days.

Comment

Yep............

Originally posted by Miller337 View Post
        This isn't good Chieftain this is the second time I've found you sitting along the road trying to remember something in the last two days.

Now that's Funny.............
        Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
        In memory of
        Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
        Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Comment

start another one?
          Firefighting - one of the few professions left that still makes house calls.

Comment

Yup............

Originally posted by NFD-Firefighter View Post
            start another one?
            I think that's where I'm going, but it will be next week after I get back in town........ This weekend, as always, is busy in Motorsports....... see
            www.eastcoastpullersllc.com
            Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
            In memory of
            Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
            Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Comment

I think that's where I'm going, but it will be next week after I get back in town........ This weekend, as always, is busy in Motorsports....... see
              www.eastcoastpullersllc.com
              Sounds good! Have fun! How about one showing off department rigs also?

Comment

Mid 90s N5A

1987 N6A

1995 N5A

Mid 1990s N6A

1987 N5A in front - 2008 N5A in rear

2008 N5A

All helmets above were either fully refurbished or refinished. All except the 1987 N5A had brand new "old style" brass installed. I do not particularly care for the new style look that Cairns introduced in 1998. Any helmet that comes my way usually come out with a retro look, no matter what year of mfg.

www.capitalcityfirehelmets.webs.com

Comment

Those are some nice lids ^

Comment

Really nice!

Comment

My Houston, not too long after the last refinish. I basically just cleaned it and sprayed over all the other paint/crud.

My helmet being X-rayed.

Comment

Another guy's New Yorker I refinished, before. It needed a lot of JB Weld and love.

Another view.

And after. Two coats primer, two coats flat black.

And then he traded that New Yorker for a smaller one:

And after. I sanded the entire thing back to leather or smooth primer. Two coats primer, a coat of flat black Krylon, a coat of brush-on flat black enamel, sanded the brush strokes, then a coat of low-gloss black engine block ceramic enamel spray.

Comment

I didn't see anything wrong with the helmet(s) before you took the job off of it and painted to look like a parade helmet.

They were never meant to look glossy.
                          Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Comment

My helmet and the first New Yorker I posted both got refinished due to missing paint. Enough so that the bare leather was starting to take a beating. That's the only reason I refinish mine, is when enough paint is gone to make it worth it. When I stripped the first New Yorker, I did something new, and I followed the advice of the masses here and used Citristrip. Bad move. Not only did it not get all the finish off, it made new cracks appear and made old cracks huge. It dried out the leather BADLY. Many of the cracks needed repair anyways, so it wasn't a huge deal, but it made the refinish process that much harder. The only reason I took it to bare leather was because of the cracks, so I was planning on fixing some, but not that many. That helmet had been hit by a 3,000 lb. concrete slab falling from a second story, so it needed some TLC.

The yellow one came from another department that uses yellow helmets. We don't. When I peeled the tetrahedrons off, a couple took paint with them, and combined with the other little chips and dings, I just went ahead and sanded it to bare leather.

I like a helmet that looks like it's been used. But these things cost too much to be replacing every couple years with the amount of fire our department sees. They need to be refinished every so often simply to protect and repair the leather, not to look pretty. If I can make them look pretty for a couple shifts before they get beaten up again, I'll do it.

Comment

I have always washed my helmet(s) off, after a job, not scrub it, but to wash it off to get the crud off. Never have I stripped and painited one.

They look pretty good.

Comment

[QUOTE=footrat;1278259]

My helmet being X-rayed.

Was it sick?????????

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse