Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USMC Iwo Jima 23 February 1945

23 February, 1945

During the bloody Battle for Iwo Jima, U.S. Marines from the 3rd Platoon, E Company, 2nd Battalion, 28th Division take the crest of Mount Suribachi, the island's highest peak and most strategic position, and raise the U.S. flag. Marine photographer Louis Lowery was with them and recorded the event. American soldiers fighting for control of Suribachi's slopes cheered the raising of the flag, and several hours later more Marines headed up to the crest with a larger flag. Joe Rosenthal, a photographer with the Associated Press, met them along the way and recorded the raising of the second flag along with a Marine still photographer and a motion-picture cameraman.

Semper Fi
    Last edited by CaptOldTimer; 07-08-2011, 01:52 PM.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Semper Fi, brother. My grandfather was there with the first wave, but got wounded 3 days in. It was my honor to follow in his footsteps as a Marine Corps Machine Gunner. I hope everyone remembers this day and honors the men who fought there.

Comment

Not too many people know there was 2 flag raising events. When the first one was recorded, it was deemed to small. Hence, the raising of the second with a larger flag.

Semper Fidelis my brothers. Never forgotten, always Honored.

Thanks Capt.

FM1
      I'm the one Fire and Rescue calls, when they need to be Rescued.

Originally posted by EastKyFF
      "Firemens gets antsies. Theys wants to goes to fires. Sometimeses they haves to waits."

Comment

Iwo Jima

My son's late God Father was a Marine wounded in the battle for Iwo Jima. He would not talk about the battle. He did not want to remember what he saw and experienced.
        On one occasion he did show us (little kids at the time) his scars from his wounds.

God Bless the Greatest Generation!
        Last edited by donethat; 02-24-2011, 01:54 PM.

Comment

Well done Cap'n, another job handled well.

Comment

I read Flag of our Fathers a couple years ago. While nobody can deny the bravery and heroism shown on Iwo Jima, what happened to the flag raisers afterward was a tragedy.

My grandfather in law served in the Marines during WWII. He saw some scary s*** but served with dedication and honor. I see the same trait in a member of the VFC who's going overseas for his second tour. It's good to see that being A Marine still means something.
            So you call this your free country
            Tell me why it costs so much to live
            -3dd

Comment

Always a proud day in Marine Corps history.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
              Working...
              X